As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    That is a penis.

No, it's not, it's an Imperial Heavy Load Penetatra ... Oh.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    My local store put up the contestants for the painting contest. Currently, 8 hours after posting, my brother is in 1st place in the regular category and I'm in 2nd place in the beginner category. :) I dunno if that'll hold, but I am quite happy about that.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I knocked out a test model Battle Sister yesterday. I absolutely love this model range and they've bumped their way past a lot of other stuff.

Also, I've spent so much of the last year messing around with airbrushing and oils that I think I forgot how to use a brush a little bit. There was some re-learning yesterday for sure.

Anyway... Couple different backdrops because I'm still also working on how to take decent photos.

tyy5x5czqgvc.jpg
    qt72cpuqh36h.jpg
    yzt5jpmptxwl.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Heh, I have had a day with this hobby so far.
    I was finally going to continue painting marine-guy today, and I came to find out my liquid mask had since turned to resin-rubber. So, uh ... that idea was canned. I've gone back to working on a robot I started which has been a good time, but I both had a scare where I thought my compressor gave up the ghost, and just full on stabbed myself with the needle for good measure. I have verified that my bones can indeed feel pain! :P

ANYWAY other than that it's going just great. Hoping to actually apply myself over Christmas and maybe actually finish a thing for a change. Wouldn't that be a wonderful change of pace? ;D

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    In a bid to gain control over my bits box, I've resolved to make a Blood Bowl Chaos Renegades team purely out of spare parts, without spending any money. I ended up dropping 6 bucks on bases because I was out, but it has been going swimmingly otherwise. The big guys took the most work, but I'm pretty pleased with how they've turned out:

3ugeajtitcvq.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2020
    If anyone was curious if it was easier to base black, airbrush the capes red, then touch up the black with a brush.

No... it was not easier.

Though my attempt at retouching the black with my airbrush, after getting frustrated with a brush, gave me some saucy and completely accidental fades and shadows.

I'm calling it a win and nobody can take it away from me

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    I knocked out a test model Battle Sister yesterday. I absolutely love this model range and they've bumped their way past a lot of other stuff.

Also, I've spent so much of the last year messing around with airbrushing and oils that I think I forgot how to use a brush a little bit. There was some re-learning yesterday for sure.

Anyway... Couple different backdrops because I'm still also working on how to take decent photos.
    tyy5x5czqgvc.jpg
    qt72cpuqh36h.jpg
    yzt5jpmptxwl.jpg

I love the sand on her boots. Such a small detail, but it makes such a huge difference!

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Calica wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »

tyy5x5czqgvc.jpg
    qt72cpuqh36h.jpg
    yzt5jpmptxwl.jpg

I love the sand on her boots. Such a small detail, but it makes such a huge difference!

Thank you, I actually really appreciate this comment.

I really love the various heavily weathered models I see online, but I just cannot bring myself to fuck up a model that I've put hours into. Mostly in case I do it wrong and can't recover.

A bit of sand on her boots was well outside my comfort zone... I'm glad it worked out :lol:

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Wrapped up the rest of the squad. I really love the details on these models.

Also going with the Bob Ross style of painting faces... anything that's a success is a happy accident.

swsu67lbo0eq.jpg
    81u4wtr9w1wt.jpg
    tlwc8yu737ea.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh shit!

QN5xi1w.png

Guess... I can't hide behind the beginner category anymore... >.<

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I have to admit, I'm fascinated that such similar colour palates were chosen on each side. Not even that each camp seemed to vote similarly, but that such similar submissions even existed.
    Anyway, good job!

• Options
    There were a couple of pastel ones in the running... I also deliberately tried my best to not direct any undue voting towards the contest or mine. :)

Really, there's only so many things you can do with a nightmare dragon.

FLqWunMl.jpg

After the fact I learned you could take the mini off its base. THIS PISSED ME OFF SO MUCH because it was such a pain in the ass to get my brush in there!!!!

• Options
    Is the stuff under the dragon clear?
    It is the Wizkids D&d minis that have clear parts I am curious about as ones like the Elf Wizard and aasimar with their wings are they clear as well?

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Is the stuff under the dragon clear?
    It is the Wizkids D&d minis that have clear parts I am curious about as ones like the Elf Wizard and aasimar with their wings are they clear as well?

It's kind of a frosted transparent looking thing? Not crystal clear, but definitely a good base for a thin wash.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Reposting from the Christmas thread, just so that I have something in this thread for the first time since the summer. Also, I love those dropper tops for the GW paints.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    For reference, here is my current wet palette.
    aiXHYPz.jpg

Unrelated to the palette, what’s up with your paint pots? Those are some kind of dropper adapter?

Yeah, it was a kickstarter earlier in 2020 - a squeezeable drop top (since GW bottles are pretty rigid). I like them a lot. They're for general sale now, and a little pricey ( https://www.drtabletop.com/shop ). The Kickstarter backer price was really good, but since they're reuseable, and I've done the 'transfer GW paints into other dropper bottles' thing, I find the quality of life improvement of just being able to slap a drop top on GW pots to be worth it. They've got decent pricing on their ceramic agitator beads too which is nice.

The first thing I've painted since... July?

GarrePV.jpg

7amK4SI.gif

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    My Xmas project:
    99qkjbt058xs.jpeg

Some close-ups:
    0rp12l6uqouc.jpeg

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Ladz, ladz, ladz, ladz, ladz!

5JQCqyk.jpg
    wymRyGr.jpg

It's a little hard to see on the photo, but the yellow on the bases is the road markings for a UK bus stop.

• Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    Started the year by painting some Troggoth's which were a blast! And finally finished some much avoided Suzerain, which were miserable.

RO7Q4aX.jpg

1bAqNxu.jpg

• Options
    Whelp. I am running out of airbrushing excuses.

One of my Christmas gifts was a Testors "Amazing air" airbrush system. It uses compressed air in a can and a siphon tube system rather than gravity feed. In essence, you stick a dropper tube and a special adapter on the top of a testors bottle, stick that into the airbrush, and go to town.

I'm still very worried about overspray and ventilation in my apartment, but at least I can practice a bit.... with the included 5 colors. I don't know if the dropper/siphon system will fit on other brands, and so far I haven't seen much (in my little research) as to the universality of them.

I think it would be stupid to buy a $200 vent hood for a $25 airbrush, but as I'm doing more sanding with my models I'm noticing I am getting plastic sand everywhere, so.. maybe filters are a good idea.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Open a window, turn on a fan, wear a mask. Use common sense. Thats all really.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    It's -6 degrees C out. I'm not opening a window and blowing all my heat out of it.

• Options
    I can age meat in this house during the winter so it's why I cannot paint

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    It's -6 degrees C out. I'm not opening a window and blowing all my heat out of it.

If I have to do any spray priming during the winter I’m debating either taking it to the balcony which is likely going to be a huge pain with the accumulated snow drifts everywhere

Or take it to the indoor parking garage which should already have decent ventilation for vehicles exhaust. Just have to make sure to use lots of backsplash scrap like a cardboard box etc so I’m not unintentionally painting things I shouldn’t be.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Speaking of, I finally bought a small wet palette and I am super stoked to start painting again after a shamefully long break.

I was previously using a homemade one, but it didn’t have a flat bottom and was a pain to keep wet or fit a sheet etc

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know any sites that sell LED light kits for minis? I could have sworn there was one that made kits specifically for warhammer but I can't remember the name.

Green stuff world has some good stuff but I want to see what else is available. I'm still a little disappointed with the LED lights for the eyes of my castellan.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    mildlymorbidmildlymorbid Registered User regular
    Finished my buddy's Space Woofs Kill Team. Or rather, what he wanted painted first.

https://imgur.com/a/QLW0wby

7jvvBKG.jpg

Will probably paint more Gloomhaven stuff before I go back to my Tau. We just unlocked Two Minis and Saw and I really want to paint the ****.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Back with my bullshit for the 40k train now that I've been fucking around with conversions that I've had bits for sitting around for a while.
    bbdzaaelvo6b.png

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    It's so embarassing when you show up at the party with the same weapon as someone else, so Tyrant #2 got a weapon swap.

3bj2avk6ll7n.jpg

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Ugh, I don't remember how to paint features on my miniatures. I paint the deep features first, then the less deep ones after, right? Or is it the reverse?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Pant the parts first that are more difficult to reach first so you don't get paint on already finished parts. Like if you got a model with an open faced helmet it can make sense to paint the face first and than the helmet

honovere on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I normally work from the deepest areas outwards, using sub-assemblies for bits that are going to be annoying, but it is a little flexible depending on the specific mini.

• Options
    I just know it as base coat then highlights/ the sunken areas painting or whatever I am doing

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    Hey dudes I need help. I like minis but I don't do wargaming so idk what the fuck to look for. I'm running a D&D game and I want minis for my game. Most of the major NPCs are tieflings, from a kingdom ruled by tieflings. Cool, NBD.

Unfortunately in the lore of this setting tieflings tend to wear clothes at the same rates as other civilized races, so I'm stuck. There are a very limited number of clothed tieflings, and I'd like major NPCs (recurring villains, recurring allies, and other important NPCs) to have unique minis. I've taken to using green stuff to mold ugly little horns and stick them on human and elf minis.

I've been trying to find useful bits to make this easier -- but I'm having very little luck find ie sprues of horns sized for 28mm heads (or even 28mm heads with horns.) Same dif with mushrooms (our underground elves aren't drow, they're just plain ol' dark elves who like fungus the way surface elves love plant life.) Anyone got any good leads on bits that aren't strictly for wh40k or Blood Bowl (I can't handle how I can't find a sprue of horns but I can find a billion sprues of football shoulderpads?)

thanks yall.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Hey dudes I need help. I like minis but I don't do wargaming so idk what the fuck to look for. I'm running a D&D game and I want minis for my game. Most of the major NPCs are tieflings, from a kingdom ruled by tieflings. Cool, NBD.

Unfortunately in the lore of this setting tieflings tend to wear clothes at the same rates as other civilized races, so I'm stuck. There are a very limited number of clothed tieflings, and I'd like major NPCs (recurring villains, recurring allies, and other important NPCs) to have unique minis. I've taken to using green stuff to mold ugly little horns and stick them on human and elf minis.

I've been trying to find useful bits to make this easier -- but I'm having very little luck find ie sprues of horns sized for 28mm heads (or even 28mm heads with horns.) Same dif with mushrooms (our underground elves aren't drow, they're just plain ol' dark elves who like fungus the way surface elves love plant life.) Anyone got any good leads on bits that aren't strictly for wh40k or Blood Bowl (I can't handle how I can't find a sprue of horns but I can find a billion sprues of football shoulderpads?)

thanks yall.

HeroForge

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    The Gobbapalooza kit has a bunch of mushrooms to stick on their bases.

Which means it's probably possible to find them on bits reselling websites.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    My forge world telemon finally showed up... A bunch of the small pieces have come off the resin mounts they ship on. Is there a way to clean off any mold release agent other than dish soap and a toothbrush? Would using my ultrasonic cleaner (with or without soap) work?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

thanks yall.

Bitsofwar sells resin mushroom basing kits.

I was also doing the gs horn thing with my tiefling when I played pathfinder. (Technically, I used naked 1 mm steel wire.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

thanks yall.

Reaper has a search database where you can put in gender/fantasy race/weapons/clothing etc and filter their database:
    https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/figurefinder+plastic+hellborn/latest

The minis are super cheap, plentiful designs, and usually are clothed appropriately. Quality is a bit lower than stuff like games workshop but I've enjoyed them for D&D.
    Hellborn are basically what they call tieflings. They have other tieflings in other categories too, and you can pick what they should be wearing (cloth/leather/armor, etc)

Honestly if you just need horns and fungus, I think making your own is going to be quicker for an entire force than the time it takes to go to the store to pick up a sprue of horns and mushrooms.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I like Reaper and most of my minis come from them but their tieflings ('hellborn') leave a lot to be desired if you're using like the female minis. I did manage to find a few other Reaper minis that I liked that would fit the bill.

I've been using green stuff and I'm terrible with it but I'll get better.

I can't get over Tiviel, Hellborn whatever: https://imgur.com/zXbnk4j

I am struggling my way through this instead:
    r7y4zodrgete.png

INeedNoSalt on