As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Expanse] let's just stay here for a moment

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Bobbie’s black market storyline has always alluded to higher ups in MCRN covering for the material that goes missing. A suit of power armor is not going to require the same sort of pull that puts a complete warship in belter hands without anyone noticing. A person that high up probably has a different agenda than a dirty cop enriching themselves.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    man this series is kind of going off the rails for me, I always hate it when villains win because everyone else adopts extreme incompetence, and on top of that, the villains get immense unexpected resources
    like, some stealth composites? sure. Weapons? why not.

A fleet of top of the line warships? And a genocidal conspiracy to take over the solar system that must have involved half the goddamn belt and nobody knew of it?

hahahahaha what? this is Star Wars Episode 9 level dumb

and Fred Johnson hiding a fuckin doomsday weapon IN HIS BEDROOM
    The military hardware gets explained more later, at least in the books.

The conspiracy thing didn't involve half the belt, and I'd attribute it to exactly what Marco was ranting about at the end of the first episode-- Earth and Mars don't take the Belters very seriously because they see the Belt as weak. They'll be on the lookout for piracy, and keep tabs on potential terrorism, but the idea that Belters would try to take the system was laughable to them.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    man this series is kind of going off the rails for me, I always hate it when villains win because everyone else adopts extreme incompetence, and on top of that, the villains get immense unexpected resources

A fleet of top of the line warships? And a genocidal conspiracy to take over the solar system that must have involved half the goddamn belt and nobody knew of it?

This is explained better in the books and depends on some later developments.

One of the key points is
    once you have something like the Epstein drive, everyone with a ship has a nuclear strike option if they can slip it past planetary defenses. Everyone. Every hauler and warship and transport could accelerate something horrific with some work and effort. It's worse than nuclear proliferation. Eventually it was bound to happen.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    There's a certain spaceship chase later on that's gonna feel kinda inconsequential =/

Also that was not enough Amos Time

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Rius wrote: »
    There's a certain spaceship chase later on that's gonna feel kinda inconsequential =/

Also that was not enough Amos Time

re: the chase
    I wonder if they’re going to have Chrisjen die there instead. They’ve already shown her having issues with high-G, so they wouldn’t have to use Chekov’s discount juice.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    @Syngyne Your spoiler tag broke.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    @Syngyne Your spoiler tag broke.

Fixed.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

One of the key points is
    once you have something like the Epstein drive, everyone with a ship has a nuclear strike option if they can slip it past planetary defenses. Everyone. Every hauler and warship and transport could accelerate something horrific with some work and effort. It's worse than nuclear proliferation. Eventually it was bound to happen.

IIRC Chrisjen had it as a fear all the way back in season 1, staring up at the sky from the roof of her house. And I forget which earlier episode it was shown, but a Belter definitely took out their frustrations on the MCRN with some accelerated rocks.

I know its been a while, but this has all had foreshadowing. Maybe since most of us got to read the books all in one go, the foreshadowing seemed more obvious, but if you do a rewatch of the show, its there too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    It's also why Earth spends so much on orbital weapons platforms to prevent it from happening.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

One of the key points is
    Epstein drive isn't really even necessary for that. Just being in space is enough. You could turn an asteroid into a WMD with just the chemical rockets we have today. The big game changer for Inaros was getting his hands on stealth composites to slip them past the orbital defenses.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Also - re: two of the other points.
    A fleet of top of the line warships?
    Keep watching, the more recent episodes have already hinted at some stuff.
    And a genocidal conspiracy to take over the solar system that must have involved half the goddamn belt and nobody knew of it?

Actually involved rather few people (like, double digits total, probably) the problem is that the victims of it would blame the belters collectively, like has happened tons of times in the past

• Options
    I hope they address the planetary rail guns we saw in S3. Because Earth can slaughter the Belt if they want without even leaving home.
    Also while the effects shots are great whoever decided to tone down the estimated explosion size from the rocks gets a facepalm.

300kt rocks woult not be a global problem. Hell they wouldn't even be a regional problem. Amos would not even have noticed the one that hot while he was in the hole because everything would be fine!

The damage from all 3 rocks is less than that one Martian nuke.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I hope they address the planetary rail guns we saw in S3. Because Earth can slaughter the Belt if they want without even leaving home.
    Also while the effects shots are great whoever decided to tone down the estimated explosion size from the rocks gets a facepalm.

300kt rocks woult not be a global problem. Hell they wouldn't even be a regional problem. Amos would not even have noticed the one that hot while he was in the hole because everything would be fine!

I could have sworn there was at least one mentioned as being megaton level.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It's not the first time they've borked numbers, either! The TV version of the Slow Zone disaster provides numbers that are just... impossible to survive? IIRC it subjects everyone to >500g for 5 seconds?

Oh brilliant
  • Options

Maybe. The rock that broke up was "3-5 megatons"

But even them unless we're talking like 999 megatons it's just not big enough to do the damage implied.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular

They do:
    "We have a sample of proto-molecule, and will drop it on you if you retaliate."

• Options
    edited January 2021
    mrondeau wrote: »

They do:
    "Awesome. You can kill that with a blowtorch so we'll just sterilize the impact site with nukes. Enjoy dying when all your habs are full of holes!"

Phoenix-D on
  • Options

They do:
    "Awesome. You can kill that with a blowtorch so we'll just sterilize the impact site with nukes. Enjoy dying when all your habs are full of holes!"
    Also worth pointing out there are a whole lot more innocent belters on those stations than Free Navy. First country the nazis invaded etc...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

Rail gun shots travel quickly but not speed-of-light quickly and the belters (most of whom live on ships or small stations which can adjust their own orbits) are extremely far away. Earth could shoot at the few big belter habitats in fixed orbits, like Ceres, but everybody else could just fire a thruster for a few seconds to adjust their orbit slightly and Earth's shots would miss by enormous margins. The books frequently metion that rail-guns aren't useful at any significant range because they're too easy to dodge.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options

They do:
    Also worth pointing out there are a whole lot more innocent belters on those stations than Free Navy. First country the nazis invaded etc...
    There were a substantial number of people going "fuck it nuke Mecca" after 9/11. It's a line on the episode even "they'll see us as all the same now"

That was 3000 people. This would be millions. Going by the explosion size and not the ridiculous kiloton number, Marco has just killed more Earthers than there *are* Belters.

So yeah morally it would be wrong but there's going to be a faction baying for blood and wanting genocidal retribution.

• Options

Rail gun shots travel quickly but not speed-of-light quickly and the belters (most of whom live on ships or small stations which can adjust their own orbits) are extremely far away. Earth could shoot at the few big belter habitats in fixed orbits, like Ceres, but everybody else could just fire a thruster for a few seconds to adjust their orbit slightly and Earth's shots would miss by enormous margins. The books frequently metion that rail-guns aren't useful at any significant range because they're too easy to dodge.

Right that is what I'm implying. A "the Belters can't hurt is if they're all dead" attitude. Without the fixed stations where do they resupply? Food, water, air?

• Options

But even them unless we're talking like 999 megatons it's just not big enough to do the damage implied.

Book and latest show spoilers:
    I assume they toned down the devastation in order to avoid needing a time skip before Earth is back to something like normal but I feel like they over-did the tone-down. Killing millions is terrible, sure, but it has nothing like the impact of the equivalent event in the books. Inaros killed billions there, if I recall correctly. He wiped out a significant fraction of Earth's population and triggered the equivalent of a nuclear winter that very nearly destroyed the planet's ability to feed itself, much less anyone else in the system, permanently.

In the show the attack is horrific but not insanely suicidal the way it is in the books. Here we have an Inaros who wanted to blacken Earth's eye to show that his Free Navy is nothing to fuck with, and he succeeded. In the books Inaros wanted to destroy life on Earth and was basically just hoping for the best that the Belt could pick up the slack generating their own food. He was clearly an insane megalomaniac in the novels. I guess the show-runners wanted a more sympathetic villain.

• Options
    edited January 2021

Right that is what I'm implying. A "the Belters can't hurt is if they're all dead" attitude. Without the fixed stations where do they resupply? Food, water, air?
    Steal it from the ring gate diaspora supply ships. They haven't spelled it out in the show yet but that's Inaros' plan. The belt isn't self-sufficient. If Earth and Mars just said, "Nope! Peace out!" and shut down shipping supplies off-world, without actually shooting at anyone, most of the belt would starve to death. They can always get air and water from ice-balls in the Oort cloud, but food production is a real problem. Inaros is hoping that the belt can come together under him and ramp up their own food production if the inners aren't actively stopping them trying to do so and that they can get by with pirating food from the colony ships until that happens.

CptHamilton on
  • Options

I assume they toned down the devastation in order to avoid needing a time skip before Earth is back to something like normal but I feel like they over-did the tone-down. Killing millions is terrible, sure, but it has nothing like the impact of the equivalent event in the books. Inaros killed billions there, if I recall correctly. He wiped out a significant fraction of Earth's population and triggered the equivalent of a nuclear winter that very nearly destroyed the planet's ability to feed itself, much less anyone else in the system, permanently.

In the show the attack is horrific but not insanely suicidal the way it is in the books. Here we have an Inaros who wanted to blacken Earth's eye to show that his Free Navy is nothing to fuck with, and he succeeded. In the books Inaros wanted to destroy life on Earth and was basically just hoping for the best that the Belt could pick up the slack generating their own food. He was clearly an insane megalomaniac in the novels. I guess the show-runners wanted a more sympathetic villain.
    See that I would go for except..we have a rock hitting a long way from Amos and everything is in ruins, with a facility *10 stories deep* taking significant damage.

So it looks like they're doing book scale damage just with very silly dialogue.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    This might sound even sillier, but if you check out the concept art for the newest episode (it's in the X-Ray overview on Amazon, view all, Bonus Content, scroll down)
    it looks like Rock #2 struck directly above the prison. Like the prison itself is the impact site. :tell_me_more:

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    This might sound even sillier, but if you check out the concept art for the newest episode (it's in the X-Ray overview on Amazon, view all, scroll down)
    it looks like Rock #2 struck directly above the prison. Like the prison itself is the impact site. :tell_me_more:

...that is noot where the episode showed that happening, haha

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

See that I would go for except..we have a rock hitting a long way from Amos and everything is in ruins, with a facility *10 stories deep* taking significant damage.

I thought he was pretty close to the second asteroid hit.

The prison's in Philadelphia, isn't it?

• Options
    Pretty sure Amos was over the horizon but I'll check later :)

• Options

They'd have had to completely abandon the whole "Amos inadvertently breaks Peaches out of prison" plot line (and thereby remove her from the rest of the story) without the attack doing enough damage to shut down one of the most secure facilities on the planet, so they just left that there while making the rest of the attack several orders of magnitude less dramatic. It doesn't really make any sense but I guess they just hoped people would see big explosions and ignore the logical disconnect.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    They'recounting on most people just knowing some asteroids were dumped on earth and killed [large number] and being fine with that. They're right.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2021

He was!
    Ep4
    The rock strikes "40km NW of Philadelphia" which is well inland and nowhere near any major rivers, which the prison is on. Even accounting for sea level rise.
    They'recounting on most people just knowing some asteroids were dumped on earth and killed [large number] and being fine with that. They're right.

Oh, sure. And visually, it works fine! I'm just annoyed at the relatively rare science dialogue goofyness :)
    This might sound even sillier, but if you check out the concept art for the newest episode (it's in the X-Ray overview on Amazon, view all, Bonus Content, scroll down)

Looking at it, that looks more like (ep5)
    Aftershocks from and earthquake and the building collapsing on itself?

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    Speaking of the concept arts, there's this unused MCRN Heavy Frigate design that has handily become my least favorite spaceship in the show!
    rtG9juDl.jpg

Just. AUGH! I'm sure without the prior context of the Roci, this would look better? But comparing it to the real thing, oof. Just looks like they stretched the poor girl.

Book 5
    very glad they didn't use this as the Pella design.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Looks like a Kushan Heavy Cruiser

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Speaking of the concept arts, there's this unused MCRN Heavy Frigate design that has handily become my least favorite spaceship in the show!
    rtG9juDl.jpg

Just. AUGH! I'm sure without the prior context of the Roci, this would look better? But comparing it to the real thing, oof. Just looks like they stretched the poor girl.

Book 5
    very glad they didn't use this as the Pella design.
    It was my understanding that book Pella was of the same class as the Rocinante. Would that have made their likely confrontation confusing for show watchers?

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options

They do:
    They didn’t mention it in the show, but the protomolecule on the Roci wasn’t an active infestation. If it were, it would have spread and the ship would be done for. In the book, Miller mentions that the node left on the Roci is just a sort of signal repeater.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

They do:
    They didn’t mention it in the show, but the protomolecule on the Roci wasn’t an active infestation. If it were, it would have spread and the ship would be done for. In the book, Miller mentions that the node left on the Roci is just a sort of signal repeater.

For the rocks
    Toning those way the fuck down from the book is 1000% fine for me. You use nukes on people, not ecosystems. Inaros may be a fanatic, but even he would have to recognize the Earth is the wellspring of all that sustains humans; sterilizing it would be both pointless and counterproductive.

Further, there's the fact that Earth would absolutely have mapped every potential planet-killer object in Belter reach and be watching them like ten thousand hawks. Anything funny happens with one and boom, immediate high-speed railgun salvo to the area while the navy goes to check out the debris. So it would really only be the smaller chunks that could be "disappeared" without necessarily raising suspicion or response, things that could deal damage but not beyond the level of existing weaponry.

On top of that, a smaller "warhead" at a faster speed would be harder to detect and stop in time anyway. Without needing to protect human occupants, a 300kt rock could be accelerated to a crazy-high velocity with an Epstein drive. Ships regular travel at multiple hundreds of kilometers per second with acceleration kept low just to preserve the humans onboard; a 300kt rock traveling much faster is going to pack one hell of a punch. Not an epoch-ender, but something more suited to killing people over cracking a planet.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

He was!
    Ep4
    The rock strikes "40km NW of Philadelphia" which is well inland and nowhere near any major rivers, which the prison is on. Even accounting for sea level rise.

Oh, sure. And visually, it works fine! I'm just annoyed at the relatively rare science dialogue goofyness :)

Book info
    If my memory is right, Amos came out of the jail with Peaches and was standing on the rim of the impact crater.

I don't think they've completely ruled this out since they didn't fully zoom out. Also, there was an earlier Inaros scene with a lot of different rocks hitting from a lot of different directions. Amos' impact isn't necessary the Philly impact

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »

He was!
    Ep4

Book info
    If my memory is right, Amos came out of the jail with Peaches and was standing on the rim of the impact crater.

I don't think they've completely ruled this out since they didn't fully zoom out. Also, there was an earlier Inaros scene with a lot of different rocks hitting from a lot of different directions. Amos' impact isn't necessary the Philly impact
    Only three got through. He mentions it later. The rock that they screwed up and threw too near the sun was #9, one got vaped so the rest either missed were blasted off screen or are still inbound.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Unstoppable villains for whom their plans never fail are exceedingly boring. Spread that out episode after episode and it becomes unpleasant and interminable.

This show isn't fun anymore.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Unstoppable villains for whom their plans never fail are exceedingly boring. Spread that out episode after episode and it becomes unpleasant and interminable.

This show isn't fun anymore.

Relates to
    Veevee wrote: »

He was!
    Ep4

Book info

Only three got through. He mentions it later. The rock that they screwed up and threw too near the sun was #9, one got vaped so the rest either missed were blasted off screen or are still inbound.

He was stoppable. He got stopped!
    of 9 rocks, only 3 hit. Earth intercepted another 3 due to the combined efforts of the good guys (and the chef on UN-1) and the final 3 just straight up fuckin' missed with no intervention needed.

Marco's crew are not omniscient, unstoppable badasses. Only a third of his attack succeeded!

Oh brilliant