As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Playstation 5] Out Now! Happy Hunting.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    FishFreddy wrote: »
    ps5 has a lot of bags, but scolds at cyberpunk, lol

At least they're finally distinguishing between PS4 and PS5 games (which would've been nice if things like multiplayer were always integrated, but that's not happening, apparently). That leaves a lot of other UI issues though.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    You can't use Remote Play and PS Now together?

Thats a shame. Really wanted to play Disgaea D2 on my PC.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    You used to be able to run PS Now on a ton of devices, including PCs, making that combo super pointless and extra laggy. But Sony seems to have dramatically cut down device support for PS Now for some reason.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    You used to be able to run PS Now on a ton of devices, including PCs, making that combo super pointless and extra laggy. But Sony seems to have dramatically cut down device support for PS Now for some reason.

That was 3 years ago now, when Sony clearly had no idea what to do with PS Now aside from advertise how great it worked with their TVs (before it stopped working with their TVs). Presumably, the hardware it still supports--mostly consoles--is better suited to the inherent limitations of Gaikai.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

At least they're finally distinguishing between PS4 and PS5 games (which would've been nice if things like multiplayer were always integrated, but that's not happening, apparently). That leaves a lot of other UI issues though.

Let's be fair, here. They've always distinguished between PS4 and PS5 games in the UI. PS4 games have always been labelled "PS4" next to their name in the home screen.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    cckerberos wrote: »

Let's be fair, here. They've always distinguished between PS4 and PS5 games in the UI. PS4 games have always been labelled "PS4" next to their name in the home screen.

Eh. They didn't get separate tiles if you had both the PS4 and PS5 versions installed. Which you won't often want to do but I know I accidentally did early on.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular

Eh. They didn't get separate tiles if you had both the PS4 and PS5 versions installed. Which you won't often want to do but I know I accidentally did early on.

If only... Sony still hasn’t fixed the issue that’s been around since launch where if you buy a ps4 disc version and upgrade it to ps5 the ps5 will auto install the ps4 version any time it comes out of rest mode with the disc in it.. that’s why I have dual installs of Valhalla and sackboy atm, got tired of constantly uninstalling the ps4 version :(

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    You still use rest mode?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    You still use rest mode?

I've heard of people having issues with it but in 3 weeks I haven't had a single one so eh *shrug* it also happens when it turns on after being off though if there's a ps4 disc in the drive; auto installs it.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I've been using rest mode but never with a game suspended. No problems so far.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I've been treating rest mode the same way I did on the PS4.

Not enough people have reported issues with it to convince me there are systematic problems.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Same here, zero issues with rest mode in the several weeks I’ve had the PS5 even with games suspended. I do it multiple times a day.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I had it happen a few times on /around launch day (almost always while playing miles morales), but it hasn't happened for a few weeks now. Whether thats due to patch or coincidence is beyond me.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Got my PS5 early into my 11 day Christmas break. Started Demon's Souls. It's so good you guys. Back when I played it on PS3 I didn't understand the Souls genre at that time and I didn't appreciate the game or really even understand it. Now, going back to it after having played all 3 Dark Souls games, Bloodborne, and Sekiro, I've got a newfound appreciation for this game. Am loving it.

Also, for when I'm not feeling like going through the Souls grinder and I want a more chill experience, I went ahead and started Immortals Fenyx Rising. Also loving this game. The mix of humor and puzzle solving and open world exploration and combat is really hitting the spot. This game is a gem.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Is there a Days Gone thread? I can't seem to search and find one.

I just played through and finished it over the holiday break and holy shit I loved everything about it. I even went as far as to get 100% completion for all of the story lines.

• Options
    I might've missed it, but I do not recall seeing a dedicated thread for that game. I think either the general Playstation thread, or else I believe there's an indie games thread that would probably suffice.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

I just played through and finished it over the holiday break and holy shit I loved everything about it. I even went as far as to get 100% completion for all of the story lines.

It was a ton of fun on ps5. Did you get any fun bugs? Only had a few, but stuff like a bridge texture not fully loading in so I fell through and a horde spawning in right in front of me when I turned a corner.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Qanamil wrote: »

It was a ton of fun on ps5. Did you get any fun bugs? Only had a few, but stuff like a bridge texture not fully loading in so I fell through and a horde spawning in right in front of me when I turned a corner.

I didn't run into any major ones. For some reason Lost Lake's meeting building (forget the name) didn't have the floor so the cutscenes were very interesting. I did fall through the floor in the Ark where a certain someone was living. That one only only got me once. Generally I didn't have to walk through it.

e: I did end up hunting and killing all of the hordes and got the secret ending.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

There was back when it came out.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/225705/days-gone-is-just-like-every-other-narrative-based-open-world-zombie-horde-game#latest

• Options
    Hmm. Last post was about 1.5 years ago. I don't know if I should bump it just to say "holy shit it's really good you guys!"

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I want to say that I got mine yesterday and did all the setup and everything. I only managed to name a character in Demon's Souls and dick around CPU Plaza in Astro's but what I did do felt good.

The controller feels like a god-designed perfect artefact that somehow humans managed to mimic. I am talking like the grip, the weight distribution, the rumble and the triggers. It is unbelievable to me how good it feels. Nuts.

One thing I'm not having a great time with is I sold my PS4 some time ago and all my stuff is on cloud backup and I can't do this transfer thing from a PS4. A good 70% of my cloud saves just say something like "Unknown not installed game" or something instead of the game's title. I wanted to download my crucial saves - Hitman 2, Tsushima, Sekiro - but I can't know what is what. I can just download everything and hopefully that will brute force solve it. But if my Tsushima save is gone I promise I don't have the energy to ever replay that game from the start, so that would suck.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Honestly given how perfect it feels, if the controller worked for 3 months and then exploded in my hands forcing me to amputate it'd still be a 7/10 controller.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Hmm. Last post was about 1.5 years ago. I don't know if I should bump it just to say "holy shit it's really good you guys!"

I was pretty meh on the story itself (your husband turns up out of FUCKING NOWHERE in the middle of zombie apocalypse and the last time you saw him was him desperately trying to save your life while sacrificing your own, and you have basically zero fucking response to that? What?) and the main character himself seemed about half a shade better than a total and complete doucheking, but I definitely enjoyed the game.

I'm definitely hoping they do a proper remaster of it and cut out the annoying "crawl through this spot" bits to mask the loading. But even with the limitations on it, it has some of the best zombie horde mechanics I've seen in a game, particularly the late-game horde hunting (which is some fantastic stuff). It's easily on my top 5 list of PS4 games I want remade for the PS5.

• Options
    I'm not trying to start a console war here, but everything I've read about the new generation is that Sony has two major wins in its favor - the instant loading SSD and the Dual Sense controller. Everyone loves the Dual Sense and between those two key factors, everyone seems to agree that the PS5 actually feels like an evolutionary step forward in console hardware and design. The Series X/S on the other hand, the only real praise I've heard for that system is that it's an XBox One with better graphics. I don't own one so I have no personal experience, but nobody is raving about innovations and new features of the Series X/S like they are the PS5.

• Options

I was pretty meh on the story itself (your husband turns up out of FUCKING NOWHERE in the middle of zombie apocalypse and the last time you saw him was him desperately trying to save your life while sacrificing your own, and you have basically zero fucking response to that? What?) and the main character himself seemed about half a shade better than a total and complete doucheking, but I definitely enjoyed the game.

I'm definitely hoping they do a proper remaster of it and cut out the annoying "crawl through this spot" bits to mask the loading. But even with the limitations on it, it has some of the best zombie horde mechanics I've seen in a game, particularly the late-game horde hunting (which is some fantastic stuff). It's easily on my top 5 list of PS4 games I want remade for the PS5.

I played through it on the PS5 and there were only a couple of "crawl through this spot" and many of them were instant (like he went through super fast)! There were one or two that required maybe 3 seconds of crawling. Believe me that's my #1 hatred for the FF7 remake so I every time I saw an area I got PTSD lol.

But yeah I actually really liked Deacon but there were a few parts where I'd absolutely go the other way with it. But he's been through some shit and his wife was the one bringing out the good in him.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I'm not sure Microsoft cares all that much about the physcial Xbox as long as a customer has either that or a PC to use with gamepass. Since I have a PC I don't see any reason I would want an Xbox unless someone gave it to me.

Gamepass seems like the actual product they are selling now.

Gamepass is great. Gamepass seems even better now that PS5 games (in Sweden) are literally $105 digitally on PSN Store. I found physical Demon's Souls for $97.

Honk on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm not trying to start a console war here, but everything I've read about the new generation is that Sony has two major wins in its favor - the instant loading SSD and the Dual Sense controller. Everyone loves the Dual Sense and between those two key factors, everyone seems to agree that the PS5 actually feels like an evolutionary step forward in console hardware and design. The Series X/S on the other hand, the only real praise I've heard for that system is that it's an XBox One with better graphics. I don't own one so I have no personal experience, but nobody is raving about innovations and new features of the Series X/S like they are the PS5.

Instant loading is a thing on Series X as well, and Instant Resume is not a thing on Ps5. The controller thing sounds neat, but I remain completely unconvinced that multi-platform games will make significant use of it. The most popular Ps5 exclusive game (Demon's Souls) barely bothers with it. I think choosing "the controller is more interesting" over Gamepass is a laughable idea, but Sony only games remain a compelling reason to go in that direction.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »

I didn't run into any major ones. For some reason Lost Lake's meeting building (forget the name) didn't have the floor so the cutscenes were very interesting. I did fall through the floor in the Ark where a certain someone was living. That one only only got me once. Generally I didn't have to walk through it.

e: I did end up hunting and killing all of the hordes and got the secret ending.

Interesting! I had the same floor load in bug, so that seems to be something more hard coded wrong in the ps5 version. The bonus ending legit shook me. I never really noticed any of the loading shenanigans of past generation while playing it.

Anyway, if people like open world games, should give it a shot.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I'm not sure Microsoft cares all that much about the physcial Xbox as long as a customer has either that or a PC to use with gamepass. Since I have a PC I don't see any reason I would want an Xbox unless someone gave it to me.

Gamepass is great. Gamepass seems even better now that PS5 games (in Sweden) are literally $105 digitally on PSN Store. I found physical Demon's Souls for $97.

Gamepass *nearly* swung me to an Xbox instead of a PS5; I don't play as much on PC as I used to because I spend so much time on it at work and am just burned out at this point. To have a lot of that library on the TV instead is really attractive and might still result in a purchase down the road.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    nobody is raving about innovations and new features of the Series X/S like they are the PS5.

The one I love the most is the one I didn’t care about at all before I got the console, and doesn’t really sound flashy. Smart delivery. The way I’ve been able to continue playing my XB1 games that received a next gen update is: download the game. That’s it, job done.

It kinda doesn’t matter if you’re playing all new games and/or abandoned your old library. It’s not gonna matter for me when I finally manage to find a PS5, since I gave away my PS4 years ago and barely had any games on it. But having it on the platform where my games is now something I consider a must.

I basically refuse to buy any games from a publisher that doesn’t use it. I doubt that I’ll buy a single “remastered” title of a previous gen title this time around.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

I played through it on the PS5 and there were only a couple of "crawl through this spot" and many of them were instant (like he went through super fast)! There were one or two that required maybe 3 seconds of crawling. Believe me that's my #1 hatred for the FF7 remake so I every time I saw an area I got PTSD lol.

But yeah I actually really liked Deacon but there were a few parts where I'd absolutely go the other way with it. But he's been through some shit and his wife was the one bringing out the good in him.

While I didn't like Deacon on a personal level, I did actually like his presentation. He's an asshole, but he's not a villain. And you can definitely see him veering away from being in pretty dark place after he starts dealing with people again, and particularly after he finds his wife. So I would be disappointed if he wasn't in for the next game.

For the next game, I hope they stick with the Pacific Northwest as a setting, plus amp up the procedural events. Basically, I'd love for the survival/zombie elements to be strong enough to be a game on their own, with the story just adding to all that. My favorite bits of the game came not from the story, but from situations like the time I went horde hunting, jumped off a cliff, and crashed in the middle of about two hundred zombies sprinting out of a cave to chase a deer. It was a nasty fight and a complete accident, but an amazing bit of emergent gameplay.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options

While I didn't like Deacon on a personal level, I did actually like his presentation. He's an asshole, but he's not a villain. And you can definitely see him veering away from being in pretty dark place after he starts dealing with people again, and particularly after he finds his wife. So I would be disappointed if he wasn't in for the next game.

For the next game, I hope they stick with the Pacific Northwest as a setting, plus amp up the procedural events. Basically, I'd love for the survival/zombie elements to be strong enough to be a game on their own, with the story just adding to all that. My favorite bits of the game came not from the story, but from situations like the time I went horde hunting, jumped off a cliff, and crashed in the middle of about two hundred zombies sprinting out of a cave to chase a deer. It was a nasty fight and a complete accident, but an amazing bit of emergent gameplay.

There have been so many satisfying horde encounters that I should have kept a list. The best is drawing them into a large Ripper camp and letting them fight it out (hint: the horde wins every time) just to pick off some from a distance with a silencer.

I hope there's a sequel at all. The story is wide open for them to do really anything with it.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Honestly given how perfect it feels, if the controller worked for 3 months and then exploded in my hands forcing me to amputate it'd still be a 7/10 controller.

I love the functionality of it. And the weight.

But for PS4 games I'm still using an XBone controller.

I never used to really consider the extending of ones thumb over to the side for a long period of time. But after developing tendinitis I really started to notice that yea... that is my thumb needing to be held out to the side and not just sitting in a natural position to use the thumbstick.

Plus my thumb slowly slides off the thumbstick as I hold it forward so I have to constantly reset my thumb which is less than ideal. Which is a shame, I used to only swap to an XBONE controller for first person stuff. But if even just running a character around in third person is making my thumb slide off then yea... I'm going XBONE for everything I can.

Really really looking forward to someone making a PS5 Pro controller with all the haptics and more ergonomical/adjustable thumb positioning.

Hands! No simple answers to comfort.

• Options

I just don't see how that's possible.

Gamepass is too good of a deal. Looking at Microsoft's vague statements on the issue, it turns a small profit at best and most likely loses the company money. It only makes sense to me as a loss leader to boost the number of people in the Xbox ecosystem.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

I just don't see how that's possible.

Gamepass is too good of a deal. Looking at Microsoft's vague statements on the issue, it turns a small profit at best and most likely loses the company money. It only makes sense to me as a loss leader to boost the number of people in the Xbox ecosystem.

The price point and specs of the Series S just scream "Gamepass machine" to me. Like this is the console you get if you don't give a toss about the new generation's bells and whistles. Or possibly even this is the console you get to complement your PS5.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    For those of you using an external hard drive with your PS5 -- Are you plugging it into a USB-A port on the back? Or the USB-C port on the front? I keep hearing you should use the USB-C port on the front but that seems like it would be pretty ugly. Is there really any difference?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I started Ghost of Tsushima a couple days ago. Probably the prettiest game I've played on the PS5 so far. Absolutely gorgeous.

I really hate the story, though, so that's a little unfortunate.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    For those of you using an external hard drive with your PS5 -- Are you plugging it into a USB-A port on the back? Or the USB-C port on the front? I keep hearing you should use the USB-C port on the front but that seems like it would be pretty ugly. Is there really any difference?
    I just plug mine into the back, but it's a type A one anyway, so I doubt there'd be any performance difference for me.
    I only use it to copy games back and forth to the SSD anyway, I figure it's saving some power to not have it running constantly.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

I have mine plugged into the back, but I also don't have a drive with a USB-C cable. Looking at the specs of the ports though, the 2 back and the C up front are both "Superspeed USB (10Gbps)", so I can't imagine it matters outside connection type. Just that a drive has to be plugged into one of those superspeed ports.

I've had the system for about 2 weeks now. The external drive itself is actually the 2TB internal drive my PS4 used for years with no issues. I've had no problems playing games off the drive. I have it always plugged in, I always use the PS5 in rest mode, and I've had it in rest mode whilst running games off the drive. Knock on wood, I've had none of the crashing or database issues people have had.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

I have mine plugged into the back, but I also don't have a drive with a USB-C cable. Looking at the specs of the ports though, the 2 back and the C up front are both "Superspeed USB (10Gbps)", so I can't imagine it matters outside connection type. Just that a drive has to be plugged into one of those superspeed ports.

I've had the system for about 2 weeks now. The external drive itself is actually the 2TB internal drive my PS4 used for years with no issues. I've had no problems playing games off the drive. I have it always plugged in, I always use the PS5 in rest mode, and I've had it in rest mode whilst running games off the drive. Knock on wood, I've had none of the crashing or database issues people have had.

What enclosure are you using?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg