As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    We watched Soul over the weekend and it's really lovely but it's also probably the most "this is actually a movie for grown-ups masquerading as a kids movie" movie that Pixar has ever made. My kids enjoyed it but dang.

I'm looking forward to getting a chance to see it because it is in class of almost one as far as being a movie that features jazz music yet hasn't made jazz musicians on twitter really cross.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I loved Soul

My daughter was not so impressed, although she loves the Joe plushy from her happy meal...

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    We watched Soul over the weekend and it's really lovely but it's also probably the most "this is actually a movie for grown-ups masquerading as a kids movie" movie that Pixar has ever made. My kids enjoyed it but dang.

I'm looking forward to getting a chance to see it because it is in class of almost one as far as being a movie that features jazz music yet hasn't made jazz musicians on twitter really cross.

It definitely hits different for musicians and people who are musician adjacent. My dad's a lifelong piano player and teacher and I really wonder what he'll think of it.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    What the heck.

We've done exactly nothing to improve our covid 'surge' that's persisted for months now, and yet suddenly they're, without warning, pushing to reopen schools in person in like two weeks.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »
    What the heck.

We've done exactly nothing to improve our covid 'surge' that's persisted for months now, and yet suddenly they're, without warning, pushing to reopen schools in person in like two weeks.

. . . Ohio?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    Washington! Why are we suddenly turning extra stupid!

Ranlin wrote: »
    Washington! Why are we suddenly turning extra stupid!

Oh jeez, I didn't notice we were being as silly as Ohio!

I have no idea why they think this is a good idea, but my 4 year old autistic no-mask-wearing dude is not going to go into a school until we've got this thing under control. Both the wife and I are technically in higher risk categories for dying from this thing, and I'm not going to risk his life or future health because "falling behind/not learning!". This kid of mine loves screens, and pays plenty of attention to them and learns from them, so distance learning in this house is honestly ideal at the moment.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Wait, how old does school start in WA? Do you folks have pre-K?

:so_raven:
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »

Preschool, pre-k, etc. exist in WA state, sure? I'd be surprised if they didn't exist in every state. It's not actually required, though, if that was the question.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    kime wrote: »

Preschool, pre-k, etc. exist in WA state, sure? I'd be surprised if they didn't exist in every state. It's not actually required, though, if that was the question.

I'm sure. I guess I just was surprised there is distance learning for those types of things. I've got a 4 year old as well.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    We have the option of online or in- person Pre-K for our 4 year old. He won't interact with online classes, so when we're virtual it's basically just a day off for him.
    They also technically have 3k here, but it's being managed so poorly. It was poorly done in the beforetimes, and all of this has just made it not very useful. A friend if mine gave up on the program and just has her kid in daycare currently.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    We have the option of online or in- person Pre-K for our 4 year old. He won't interact with online classes, so when we're virtual it's basically just a day off for him.
    They also technically have 3k here, but it's being managed so poorly. It was poorly done in the beforetimes, and all of this has just made it not very useful. A friend if mine gave up on the program and just has her kid in daycare currently.

3k, as in trying to school three year old? JFC!

Yeah, my four year old has done a few zoom calls with friends and has about 5 minutes of interest tops. During a family zoom call on Xmas his unmuted words when it was wrapping up were "Yay, it's finally over!"

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

Our kids are 10 and 13, and they were pretty wiggly and tuned-out from about halfway through. That said, we did have some interesting discussions about the story:
    none of us thought he should have gone back to the world, or if he did, he should have gone back as a teacher. Or maybe he should have become one of the mentors to the new souls. And none of us expected his show to go the way it did -- we thought that Joe wouldn't get back to his body and there'd be ratatouille-esque puppeteering from the cat, or that 22 would be able to play well enough herself, or even when he _did_ get back to his body we thought he'd be unable to play because he was worried about 22 or something.

I guess fundamentally we were all expecting there to be some sort of twist, but that bit just was pretty straightforward which was what was unexpected about it.

And it was surprising that he didn't call his ex, either, I'm not quite sure why they mentioned her and then did nothing else with that bit of story.
    That said, it is definitely one of the most "the animators were having _fun_ making this" movies I've seen in a while.

edited January 2021

Yeah, this is pre-k, and it's not required, but it provides him (and us) with resources to work on his delayed speech, among other things.

The class is for kiddos like him, so any type of special needs kiddos, and it's more about encouraging engagement rather than the curriculum (which they still have one, it's just not the ultimate concern).

But he won't wear a mask, and he and most of the other kids aren't exactly great at keeping their distance (not that 4 and even 5 year olds are good with staying away from other kids in the first place), and beyond that they are, bless their hearts, the same petri dishes as any usual kid is. And while it's important to us to be able to have his speech therapy sessions and school time, a structured setting and a routine, it's more important to us that he not get COVID.

Kalnaur on
  • amethystoakamethystoak Registered User regular
    Yeah, my four year old has done a few zoom calls with friends and has about 5 minutes of interest tops. During a family zoom call on Xmas his unmuted words when it was wrapping up were "Yay, it's finally over!"

To be fair, I'm 32 and I feel the same way about zoom calls. :rotate:

To be fair, I'm 32 and I feel the same way about zoom calls. :rotate:

My kiddo is odd about video calls; he can pay attention anywhere from 20 minutes to 40 minutes in class time, and about 20-25 minutes in his speech therapy. Occasionally he'll peace out early, but the lion's share of the time, he'll just hang around (especially if he can see himself while the call is going). Same with calls with friends and family, though sometimes he gets so excited he needs to run.

Then again, I'm much the same as him. I can easily do zoom meetings for hours without getting tired, but people in person are just ehhhhhhhh for the most part.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Parents thread, I bring you tidings of great joy:

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    Fishman wrote: »
    Parents thread, I bring you tidings of great joy:

I was hoping so hard this is what it was going to be about.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My son at 2.5-years old is hitting a sleep regression over the last month or so. Any tips or wait it out?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

It definitely hits different for musicians and people who are musician adjacent. My dad's a lifelong piano player and teacher and I really wonder what he'll think of it.

I didn't feel it really had anything to do with jazz. Like yes, the main character is a jazz musician and it comes up a lot.. but the overall message just uses his passion for jazz as an example. The theme and overall message of the movie is not related.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    My son at 2.5-years old is hitting a sleep regression over the last month or so. Any tips or wait it out?

Does he get enough sleep overall? I wouldn't worry too much and try to stick to a routine if possible. He might have felt some stress over the holidays as well.

Aldo wrote: »

Does he get enough sleep overall? I wouldn't worry too much and try to stick to a routine if possible. He might have felt some stress over the holidays as well.

He almost always goes to sleep at 7:30-8:00pm. Up until a few months ago, he'd stay asleep until around 7am. That's why I'm guessing this might be a a growth spurt or sleep phase problem.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

I didn't feel it really had anything to do with jazz. Like yes, the main character is a jazz musician and it comes up a lot.. but the overall message just uses his passion for jazz as an example. The theme and overall message of the movie is not related.

On the one hand, no, the theme of the movie doesn't really have anything to do with jazz.

On the other hand, I know people who are that obsessed with music and have made extraordinary sacrifices in the pursuit of it and I do think it adds an interesting personal layer to the story.

My three month old has started laughing at me, which is pretty cute. First time was while I was shushing him to the tune of the Imperial March.

Any UK people having enjoyable home schooling times? I feel like my brain is going to come out of my ears.

Probably going on a longer lockdown in NL, with home schooling. Everything has been closed since the week before Xmas. I consider it fucking torture and that's with Little King having a place to spend 3 days per week. We are missing structure, we hardly have anything to do in the winter and there is just no end in sight. I keep wanting to apologize to my partner for being at home with the kid, but I can't help it that pretty much everywhere is closed.

I think it would be easier if Little King was feeling better, but he is just pushing all the buttons when we are home. He is negotiating about everything, and is easily upset when things aren't going his way.

So uh yeahhh, sorry, I'm not from the UK, but also have a shitty homeschooling time. *thumbs up*

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Yep, it's hell. We've had regular tears and screaming about when she can go back to school. Nobody is coping super well.

This week we are going to attempt to send French girl and the kids to stay with family. That should mean she can work while somebody helps with the kids and maybe we'll manage some amount of homeschooling. I'll stay here as I need to work in the lab periodically. But if this works, which feels like it has a decent chance, then I could be going a couple of months without seeing them.

Weirdly the UK still has nurseries open, but everybody is expecting that to change shortly (possibly this evening to cause maximum disruption and chaos)

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited January 2021
    +3 weeks lockdown. Oooooph, in total it will be longer than their summer break

Aldo on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Me:...alright, so..."what would you do with a million dollars?"
    Middle Guy:...ride? In a balloon?
    Me: Nooo, you're just repeating the thing you saw in the video. Yours has to be something different...do you want to watch it again, get some more ideas?
    MG:...ummm, yeah!

-five minutes later-
    Me:...alright, so..."what would you do with a million dollars?"
    MG:...ummm...uhh to...flag...wave?
    Me:...dude, that isn't even a sentence...were you even watching the video?
    MG: ahuhuhuh....no,....sorry...

-five minutes later-
    Me:...alright, SO..."what would you do with a million dollars!?"
    MG: I would...ah,...get a bunch of goldfish! And put them in a bowl!
    Me:...ok, but what does that have to do with the...
    MG: I'm hungry, can I have some goldfish?

Second week back- so excited for another thrilling semester of non-stop remote learning joy

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Hey that last one sounds good to me with a million dollars....

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    My 5 year old is being set more work than my 9 year old, and he won't stay on task for any longer than about 5 seconds without looking at the ceiling, or pulling his socks over his trousers, or his trousers back over his socks, or his socks over his trousers again, or his trousers over his socks.....

What kind of work, even??

edited January 2021
    For the 5 year old, a couple of examples:

20 minute maths videos with 3 questions at the end (today - sharing into equal groups).

Writing out assigned spelling words and then coming up with sentences with them (this week: happily, greedily, sheepishly, steadily, gently, carefully, graciously, bravely, foolishly). This takes about an hour each time.

He's also been asked to do a diary of the Christmas holidays.

The 9 year old by comparison has a worksheet on dividing by 10.....which he has probably been able to do for about 5 years. He had a 20 minute English video and the expected output at the end was to write a single sentence. There was a science powerpoint about fossils and the work at the end was to order and match 5 statements with 5 pictures.

Also unlike the previous lockdown the teachers are being extremely demanding about evidence of work done, don't exactly blame them but this just favours the parents who have time and facilities to scan and email stuff.

Prolegomena on
    edited January 2021
    My son is still consistently waking me up at 4-5am every single fucking day. There's no apparent rhyme or reason to this new sleep pattern. It's been almost two months now and I'm so tired. Taking naps helps, but screws up my entire schedule.

I'm desperate. I've tried everything and nothing seems to work. My daughter went through the same thing around this age, but course corrected after a week or two. HELP!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    That's wild, the homework for my 4 year old and 4-5 year olds classmates by comparison:

ALL COMPLETELY OPTIONAL and ALL INTENDED TO BE DONE TOGETHER WITH A PARENT OR SIBLING:

- find objects starting with a W
    - Draw something that rhymes with {{4 small words}}
    - Write down 2021 with whatever is at hand
    - Count out toys to form a table of 1 to 10 or 20. Ex: 1 car, 2 dolls, 3 pencils etc.
    - Make a clock from paper

My son is still consistently waking me up at 4-5am every single fucking day. There's no apparent rhyme or reason to this new sleep pattern. It's been almost two months now and I'm so tired. Taking naps helps, but screws up my entire schedule.

I'm desperate. I've tried everything and nothing seems to work. My daughter went through the same thing around this age, but course corrected after a week or two. HELP!

Gotta keep sending him back to his room and give him a way to see when he is allowed to wake you. I bought a sleep trainer clock and that worked for my (then) 3 year old.

Aldo wrote: »

Gotta keep sending him back to his room and give him a way to see when he is allowed to wake you. I bought a sleep trainer clock and that worked for my (then) 3 year old.

I could try that, but he's just full on awake. I guess it means having the wife and daughter wake up from his screaming and crying. Tough love now for sleep later.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page