As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ahsoka Tano thread [Star Wars]

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they are terrified of moving the timeline forward because that ties their hands for future film releases.

But if they go far enough ahead, they can be vague enough about the past to keep pretty much all their options open.

Realistically, SERIOUS MANDALORIAN SPOILERS
    We probably aren’t seeing past the ST until we learn how Grogu survived a second Temple Massacre.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    At this point they should treat it like comic book franchises and just expect to reset the universe every decade or so. Or they could just be explicit about the cycle endlessly repeating itself over and over again.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    At this point they should treat it like comic book franchises and just expect to reset the universe every decade or so. Or they could just be explicit about the cycle endlessly repeating itself over and over again.

In Star Wars technology never really advances - it's a universe plagued with regression, setback and apocalypse so you can still go back in time thousands of years and have better technology then they do in the "current" chronology.

The problem these days is Hollywood takes "spend a $100m and you must save the world, solar system, galaxy or universe" as a truism. They're terrified of having a main movie franchise not involve the fate of the galaxy or whatever hence "Death Star laser Star Destroyers" being something I presume a bunch of executives saw and said "you know what, that seems totally fine".

Which is sad because there is a version of post-OT Star Wars, the version we've seen in The Mandalorian where you could go with the agreement that The New Republic will not be destroyed as part of the setting, but is dealing with varied and significant but not apocalyptic threats. But in it's main movie franchise I'm pretty sure the directive from Disney is still, somehow, "no politics" despite the fact this was never really the problem with the Prequels.

In fact I think I could even simplify that further: "there are no planet exploding superweapons. There is noting that can do more damage then the current world nuclear arsenal."

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    They could have patterned it after the MCU, where we have movies featuring different casts of characters that only come together for crossover events. It would have had the advantage of not having the comics laying around creating expectations.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure they are terrified of moving the timeline forward because that ties their hands for future film releases.
    They (justifiably) ran screaming from film releases after TROS. They should be more terrified of not doing stuff Filoni and Favreau have signed off on.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    The premise of Star Wars High Republic has about as much appeal to me as the premise for Star Trek Enterprise and Star Trek Discovery.

I really give no fucks about prequels and pre-prequels, and although those other shows were bad for other reasons than their timelines, I'm concerned that the kind of management cowardice that prevents a show from advancing a setting engenders the kind of environment where you get a poorly written series.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Star wars has always had different eras being explored at the same time.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I mean, they had some stuff post RoTJ in the books, but KotOR wasn't until after AotC

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    The premise of Star Wars High Republic has about as much appeal to me as the premise for Star Trek Enterprise and Star Trek Discovery.

I really give no fucks about prequels and pre-prequels, and although those other shows were bad for other reasons than their timelines, I'm concerned that the kind of management cowardice that prevents a show from advancing a setting engenders the kind of environment where you get a poorly written series.

I'd be OK with a prequel setting as long as it has a specific story it's trying to tell. Enterprise would have been better if it had focused on the story of how the Federation was created instead of just a bunch of random stories with hull plating instead of shields. High Republic might be worth it if they try and tell a story about how the Republic and the Jedi took their first steps on the path to ruin.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Going forward in time, just dump the Republic completely. Balkanize the galaxy and you have so many more story opportunities.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I mean, they had some stuff post RoTJ in the books, but KotOR wasn't until after AotC

And the comics that KOTOR was based on was started in 92.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »

IIRC, that was a great, long running, comic series.

• Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Bloods End wrote: »

IIRC, that was a great, long running, comic series.

I will die on the hill that Redemption is the one legit great thing that Kevin James Anderson has written.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

High Republic isn’t a prequel though? It’s just a setting. They picked an arbitrary date to tell some stories in. One thankfully detached from almost anything in the OT.

I don’t really care what imaginary year the events will take place during.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

High Republic isn’t a prequel though? It’s just a setting. They picked an arbitrary date to tell some stories in. One thankfully detached from almost anything in the OT.

The High Republic is basically the PT but without the whole Clone Wars/Sith thing from what I've seen. They are basically aiming for enough before the PT that everything is fine and gonna be fine for awhile but close enough that it's basically the same.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

The High Republic is basically the PT but without the whole Clone Wars/Sith thing from what I've seen. They are basically aiming for enough before the PT that everything is fine and gonna be fine for awhile but close enough that it's basically the same.

200 years earlier just doesn’t seem far enough removed to me.

Oddly, 200 years later would work for me.

• Options

Yeah, I was surprised it was only that little too. It feels only just long enough to work. Like cutting it real tight here.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    High Republic sounds like "Okay, we know how Caesar wrecked the Roman Republic. So let's look at Marius and Sulla instead."

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    High Republic sounds like "Okay, we know how Caesar wrecked the Roman Republic. So let's look at Marius and Sulla instead."

If they play it like that that's actually going to be really cool.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The beginning of the fall of the Jedi, rather than the end.

• Options
    edited January 2021

That’s something that’d be cool to see. There’s no way the Jedi realistically acted like unfeeling jerks their whole existence. Watching a more open, friendlier order slide in to rigid dogma has good potential.

Quid on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

When things were great (except they were never really great for the people in the margins) are stories we really should be telling more about these days.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options

I think the idea is to avoid anything to do with the fall of the jedi and the republic. This is the High Republic when everything is awesome.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    it probably depends on what you mean by "fall"

the starting point is the jedi at (something resembling) their actual best, instead of the truly shitty enforcement arm they are by the time episode 1 rolls around. Which is interesting, because even 'old republic' stuff has tended to look like prequel jedi (read: awful) a lot of the time. I've only read the first few chapters they put online but the distinction was really well done, imo.

I don't think this era is going to get into, say, palpatine learning the secrets of force immaculate conception, but i do think you'll probably see a bit of the groundwork for the jedi order becoming more militant and hopelessly entwined with the republic.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Yeah, 200 years earlier puts it in Kenobi's "For a thousand generations..." era of Jedi peace keepers, so we kind of know what to expect.
    200 years in the future though... that's 6 times the lifespan of the Empire (from end of Clone Wars to end of Return of the Jedi). That would give plenty of time for the New Republic to rise, fall, and something new to reform out of the ashes and then crumble or an entire different string of events.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I'd be curious to see what other than just a gradual dogmatic rot pushed them to trying to eradicate anything even remotely Dark even within normal human nature from where they presumably started.

The Qui-Gon comic a while back presents the idea that lashing out at perceived Dark Side stuff is what allows it to flourish, and that staying calm basically starves it out.

Hating the Dark and seeking to destroy it in every corner of the galaxy or your soul is itself Dark no matter how detached and devoted to the Light you think of yourself as being.

But if you have a shocking close call as an institution, staying the course because everything turned out fine can be hard to sell.

Kamar on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    They showed a Trandoshan Jedi.

That’ll get me to watch it.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    They showed a Trandoshan Jedi.

That’ll get me to watch it.

A one-armed Trandoshan Jedi, which... Trandoshans can regrow limbs, so...

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ... but not, like, immediately.

So he’s obviously just post-lightsabering.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    ... but not, like, immediately.

So he’s obviously just post-lightsabering.

Tiny little lightsaber for a lil baby hand

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Maybe he got his arm cut off by some kind of super lightsaber and can't grow it back.

• Options
    The more you watch the PT and it's other stuff, the more disturbing lightsaber combat becomes. That shit is just limbs flying everywhere. It's kinda fucked up.

• Options
    Maybe the lightsaber industry is colluding with the robot prosthetics industry is what I'm saying. Someone should look into that.

• Options

I think the idea is to avoid anything to do with the fall of the jedi and the republic. This is the High Republic when everything is awesome.

Someone Mentioned Marius and Sulla, which falls firmly into the beginning of the fall of the Roman Republic

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The problem with a setting like the High Republic is if they try to do some kind of big epic storylines, like maybe someone tries to destroy the Republic. Well, we already know that aint gonna happen for another 200 years, so it's not a very exciting story.

Or they might do something lame like there's a planet destroying super weapon and it's pointed right at Hossian Prime. O-hoo, Hossian Prime has been spared......... THIS TIME DUN-DUN-DUUUUUN *wink wink nudge nudge*

If they stick to, like, character-centric stories it could work, but I have very little faith they'll do that. Sooner or later some kind of galaxy spanning epic storyline will come about and it'll be stupid.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    If the High Republic sticks with low-key character-driven stories, I might entirely retract my annoyance at the time period they're picking.

But five bucks says it's all going to tie into Darth Sidious and his master in order to tie it to high-stakes galaxy-altering shit.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    The problem with a setting like the High Republic is if they try to do some kind of big epic storylines, like maybe someone tries to destroy the Republic. Well, we already know that aint gonna happen for another 200 years, so it's not a very exciting story.

Or they might do something lame like there's a planet destroying super weapon and it's pointed right at Hossian Prime. O-hoo, Hossian Prime has been spared......... THIS TIME DUN-DUN-DUUUUUN *wink wink nudge nudge*

If they stick to, like, character-centric stories it could work, but I have very little faith they'll do that. Sooner or later some kind of galaxy spanning epic storyline will come about and it'll be stupid.

I'm a huge fan of big settings with localized crises. I'm not sure Hollywood entirely knows how to do those, but you could totally tell an amazing story of like, a couple of neighboring star systems squaring off for a localized war, and the threat to the Republic is the ramifications of trying to deal with it (and debate over how they should deal with it) from a couple of different perspectives.

I mean if you wanted to tie everything together, such an event would totally be the sort of thing which kickstarts then "grand army of the Republic" argument and leads to the eventual setting for the secret clone army order by disaffected Jedi separatists who eventually get exploited by the Sith for the events of the PT and where that leads.

Give me space battles with weird constraints and unclear belligerents, Republic cruiser's trying to navigate peacekeeping between factions going out of their way to provoke and escalate one another, or war where no one has military hardware and it's all militias and "space technicals" getting in fights.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Well, hopefully the showrunner(s?) realize the appeal of Mandalorian was that it wasn't about galaxy spanning warfare, but about smaller scale plots. (At least until S2 anyway...)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

That’s something that’d be cool to see. There’s no way the Jedi realistically acted like unfeeling jerks their whole existence. Watching a more open, friendlier order slide in to rigid dogma has good potential.

But that would be change, which we all know is icky :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Hear me out

3:10 to Yuma but a bounty hunter delivering someone to the Hutts

This discussion has been closed.