As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Playstation 5] Out Now! Happy Hunting.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    For those of you using an external hard drive with your PS5 -- Are you plugging it into a USB-A port on the back? Or the USB-C port on the front? I keep hearing you should use the USB-C port on the front but that seems like it would be pretty ugly. Is there really any difference?

I have mine plugged into the back, but I also don't have a drive with a USB-C cable. Looking at the specs of the ports though, the 2 back and the C up front are both "Superspeed USB (10Gbps)", so I can't imagine it matters outside connection type. Just that a drive has to be plugged into one of those superspeed ports.

I've had the system for about 2 weeks now. The external drive itself is actually the 2TB internal drive my PS4 used for years with no issues. I've had no problems playing games off the drive. I have it always plugged in, I always use the PS5 in rest mode, and I've had it in rest mode whilst running games off the drive. Knock on wood, I've had none of the crashing or database issues people have had.

What enclosure are you using?

It's an old 2TB Seagate Xbox external drive of all things. I initially bought it for the purpose of ripping off the case and sticking it in my original PS4. It then got inserted into a Pro. And now it's been repurposed back into its original form of an external drive.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Hmm. Last post was about 1.5 years ago. I don't know if I should bump it just to say "holy shit it's really good you guys!"

I was pretty meh on the story itself (your husband turns up out of FUCKING NOWHERE in the middle of zombie apocalypse and the last time you saw him was him desperately trying to save your life while sacrificing your own, and you have basically zero fucking response to that? What?) and the main character himself seemed about half a shade better than a total and complete doucheking, but I definitely enjoyed the game.

I'm definitely hoping they do a proper remaster of it and cut out the annoying "crawl through this spot" bits to mask the loading. But even with the limitations on it, it has some of the best zombie horde mechanics I've seen in a game, particularly the late-game horde hunting (which is some fantastic stuff). It's easily on my top 5 list of PS4 games I want remade for the PS5.

I played through it on the PS5 and there were only a couple of "crawl through this spot" and many of them were instant (like he went through super fast)! There were one or two that required maybe 3 seconds of crawling. Believe me that's my #1 hatred for the FF7 remake so I every time I saw an area I got PTSD lol.

But yeah I actually really liked Deacon but there were a few parts where I'd absolutely go the other way with it. But he's been through some shit and his wife was the one bringing out the good in him.

While I didn't like Deacon on a personal level, I did actually like his presentation. He's an asshole, but he's not a villain. And you can definitely see him veering away from being in pretty dark place after he starts dealing with people again, and particularly after he finds his wife. So I would be disappointed if he wasn't in for the next game.

For the next game, I hope they stick with the Pacific Northwest as a setting, plus amp up the procedural events. Basically, I'd love for the survival/zombie elements to be strong enough to be a game on their own, with the story just adding to all that. My favorite bits of the game came not from the story, but from situations like the time I went horde hunting, jumped off a cliff, and crashed in the middle of about two hundred zombies sprinting out of a cave to chase a deer. It was a nasty fight and a complete accident, but an amazing bit of emergent gameplay.

There have been so many satisfying horde encounters that I should have kept a list. The best is drawing them into a large Ripper camp and letting them fight it out (hint: the horde wins every time) just to pick off some from a distance with a silencer.

I hope there's a sequel at all. The story is wide open for them to do really anything with it.

There absolutely damn well better be. They clearly have it set up for a sequel and it sold in the several millions.

One of the little mechanics that I greatly appreciated was needing to use your motorcycle. On top of it being your transportation it also stored your extra gear and served as a save point, which I hugely liked. You didn't necessarily want to slam it into combat and wreck it, but you also don't want it so far away as to make saving a pain. It was a great way to really make you feel attached to the thing and make it feel as integral to story and world.

I would actually really really like to see a mechanic like that in more open-world games.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Hmm. Last post was about 1.5 years ago. I don't know if I should bump it just to say "holy shit it's really good you guys!"

I was pretty meh on the story itself (your husband turns up out of FUCKING NOWHERE in the middle of zombie apocalypse and the last time you saw him was him desperately trying to save your life while sacrificing your own, and you have basically zero fucking response to that? What?) and the main character himself seemed about half a shade better than a total and complete doucheking, but I definitely enjoyed the game.

I'm definitely hoping they do a proper remaster of it and cut out the annoying "crawl through this spot" bits to mask the loading. But even with the limitations on it, it has some of the best zombie horde mechanics I've seen in a game, particularly the late-game horde hunting (which is some fantastic stuff). It's easily on my top 5 list of PS4 games I want remade for the PS5.

I played through it on the PS5 and there were only a couple of "crawl through this spot" and many of them were instant (like he went through super fast)! There were one or two that required maybe 3 seconds of crawling. Believe me that's my #1 hatred for the FF7 remake so I every time I saw an area I got PTSD lol.

But yeah I actually really liked Deacon but there were a few parts where I'd absolutely go the other way with it. But he's been through some shit and his wife was the one bringing out the good in him.

While I didn't like Deacon on a personal level, I did actually like his presentation. He's an asshole, but he's not a villain. And you can definitely see him veering away from being in pretty dark place after he starts dealing with people again, and particularly after he finds his wife. So I would be disappointed if he wasn't in for the next game.

For the next game, I hope they stick with the Pacific Northwest as a setting, plus amp up the procedural events. Basically, I'd love for the survival/zombie elements to be strong enough to be a game on their own, with the story just adding to all that. My favorite bits of the game came not from the story, but from situations like the time I went horde hunting, jumped off a cliff, and crashed in the middle of about two hundred zombies sprinting out of a cave to chase a deer. It was a nasty fight and a complete accident, but an amazing bit of emergent gameplay.

There have been so many satisfying horde encounters that I should have kept a list. The best is drawing them into a large Ripper camp and letting them fight it out (hint: the horde wins every time) just to pick off some from a distance with a silencer.

I hope there's a sequel at all. The story is wide open for them to do really anything with it.

There absolutely damn well better be. They clearly have it set up for a sequel and it sold in the several millions.

One of the little mechanics that I greatly appreciated was needing to use your motorcycle. On top of it being your transportation it also stored your extra gear and served as a save point, which I hugely liked. You didn't necessarily want to slam it into combat and wreck it, but you also don't want it so far away as to make saving a pain. It was a great way to really make you feel attached to the thing and make it feel as integral to story and world.

I would actually really really like to see a mechanic like that in more open-world games.
    If only it didn't guzzle down so much fucking gas. :/

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    cckerberos wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    I'm not sure Microsoft cares all that much about the physcial Xbox as long as a customer has either that or a PC to use with gamepass. Since I have a PC I don't see any reason I would want an Xbox unless someone gave it to me.

Gamepass seems like the actual product they are selling now.

I just don't see how that's possible.

Gamepass is too good of a deal. Looking at Microsoft's vague statements on the issue, it turns a small profit at best and most likely loses the company money. It only makes sense to me as a loss leader to boost the number of people in the Xbox ecosystem.

Microsoft has the money to go a decade before needing to figure out how to make good profit on gamepass.

Collecting userbase is enough.

Yes like if you want to spend as little on games as possible I see an Xbox Series S and gamepass is a great thing. But their niceness about PC's removes all incentive to have an xbox for me who has a PC. The PC is an Xbox for all Microsoft cares.

PSN: Honkalot
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

The death stranding fuel tank makes it way more bearable. I went several fast travels without having to fill it up. But yea in the beginning it was a pain.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

I think that was a positive. If the gas lasts too long then you don't interact with the mechanic enough and it makes the gas mechanic pretty pointless. You never get into a situation where you are worried about running out of gas.

And further more if you never have that situation then upgrading the gas tank doesn't feel nearly as exciting. And upgrades should feel exciting!

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4040-CUSA11461_00-CONTROLUEBUNDLE0

Control: Ultimate Edition is on sale for $20, which will have the free upgrade to PS5 in February.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Bought the UE in a previous sale and just waiting for that dang upgrade

Qanamil on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Naturally, Ikea has your back when it comes to the tough furniture storage questions, via the best member of the channel Funhaus.

Disclaimer: I don't know if this accounts for the Playstation 5's stand thing.

EDIT: It's entirely possible someone already shared a Twitter post sharing this graphic, which is what I get for not knowing how Twitter works.
    For those of you using an external hard drive with your PS5 -- Are you plugging it into a USB-A port on the back? Or the USB-C port on the front? I keep hearing you should use the USB-C port on the front but that seems like it would be pretty ugly. Is there really any difference?

Yeah, unless Sony actually designed for that, there's nothing that actually makes a USB-C port "faster" than a USB-A port when they both connect to the same motherboard. Transfer speed is entirely dependent on the data standard either port is designed to (which is independent of actual port shape for C and A), and, of course, the actual cable you're using (so if you used an old USB-A cable, or a USB-C cable that only carries power, things will not work as expected). And I can't imagine Sony would deliberately "gimp" the I/O ports on the back and not the front.

Synthesis on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Grabbed Day's Gone from the PS Collection after hearing it got a PS5 tweak.

It runs great but man the motion blur :bigfrown: I know the only change they made was to give it the "Oh, PS5? Use all the power" tweak...but if they just went one step further and let me turn the motion blur off, or down, that'd be awesome. Not likely to happen but if I had a wish for these PS5 "use the powah" tweak patches, it would be that.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    So I thought the MJ insta-fail stealth missions were the worst thing in Spider-Man Remastered but I was wrong. Taskmaster can suck my spider-balls. These drone challenges are the f'ing worst.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    At least you can ignore the drone challenges. The insta-fail stealth is required to progress the story.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed the one where spiderman is your ally and you can command him to take out people.

Otherwise I didn't find them that bad but I enjoy stealth games well enough.

I only failed a couple of times in one or two of them, which is a failure rate that barely blips on my emotional state.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    You still use rest mode?

...why wouldn't you use rest mode?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Rumour has it there is a large shipment of PS5's hitting the UK tomorrow, as long as there's no fuckery at the ports (there will probably be fuckery at the ports). So here I go again, hitting refresh all day.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Spaffy wrote: »
    You still use rest mode?

...why wouldn't you use rest mode?

It was bricking units? Seems bugged? Probably best to avoid it until they get their shit sorted out?

It's not like the ps5 takes very long to boot up or a game to start anymore. Rest mode is honestly kinda optional now.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    You wouldn't background (or as the case might be, "overnight") content downloads, updates, etc.. Which I'm almost certain is a thing for PS5 based on my experience with PS4 (remote downloads I'm less sure of).

Installing or updating an 80 GB game is a bit more convenient if you can do it overnight.

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    My understanding is the rest mode thing was only an issue if you used it while running Spider-Man Remastered and that have since patched it.

I haven't had any problems with using rest mode on my console.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    My understanding is the rest mode thing was only an issue if you used it while running Spider-Man Remastered and that have since patched it.

I haven't had any problems with using rest mode on my console.

There was also an issue using rest mode with external storage attached. Not sure if that one has been fixed or not. Doesn't seem to affect all drives, either.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I've found no actual information on that, it just seems to be people who saw someone saying they saw it happen to someone somewhere online.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    I had rest mode hard lock my console a couple of times before it was patched. It would never come out of rest and require a full hard restart by either yanking the cord or holding the power button down.

I believe Jeff Gerstmann from Giant Bomb had the "external storage + rest mode = broken database" issue and had to get his console fixed by Sony.

I'm fairly sure both things have been patched at this point, but they were definitely real.

• WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    My issue is that there was no proven issue with Rest Mode. I've used it since day one with no issues. A couple people get a faulty unit (or in the case of Spider Man a rushed release) and everyone starts pointing fingers. I don't have a problem with people reporting their theories but they tend to be conflated with fact.

My issue is that there was no proven issue with Rest Mode. I've used it since day one with no issues. A couple people get a faulty unit (or in the case of Spider Man a rushed release) and everyone starts pointing fingers. I don't have a problem with people reporting their theories but they tend to be conflated with fact.

This happens with every console nowadays. Lots of "reports" that are unsubstantiated via social media that causes everyone to go "THERES A PROBLEM WITH <X> PRODUCT BECAUSE <Y> PERSON HAD IT HAPPEN!"

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

This happens with every console nowadays. Lots of "reports" that are unsubstantiated via social media that causes everyone to go "THERES A PROBLEM WITH <X> PRODUCT BECAUSE <Y> PERSON HAD IT HAPPEN!"

I mean, when you have game journos not known for lying having issues, and people on these very forums with bricked consoles, I think it's legitimate enough. Maybe not a widespread issue but a problem none the less.

I mean, when you have game journos not known for lying having issues, and people on these very forums with bricked consoles, I think it's legitimate enough. Maybe not a widespread issue but a problem none the less.

I mean, yeah but that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that people take a person having an issue and blowing it up like it's a normal thing for the device to do. Social media only enhances this and makes things seem worse than they really are.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's like that time when every single Samsung smartphone exploded.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.

I mean, yeah but that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that people take a person having an issue and blowing it up like it's a normal thing for the device to do. Social media only enhances this and makes things seem worse than they really are.

Eh, if anything I would say it's good to have the information out there. For instance, in the Xbox thread someone had a bricked Xbox as a result of using the Remote Play feature. I haven't heard anyone making a huge fuss over that, probably because most people haven't used it, but I've been avoiding it anyways.

Sure, are some people hyperbolic and trying to just muddy the waters but for the most part having manufacturers aware of the issues early so they can try to address them is a good thing... My take anyways

I don't expect rest mode to brick my console every time I use it guys.

Its just a really expensive piece of hardware that I spent a lot of money on and its easy enough to be safe than sorry if it turns you won the reverse lottery and are among the low percent that get a problem.

Please. I'm not freaking out. I am not some insane person. It's just a normal response.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I'll hazard the rate of failure on the PS5 is about the same as it's been for every other console throughout the decades. The only difference is you live in an are where you can now hear about every single one of those failures. And as soon as you hear about 3 separate instances, your brain then goes "Pattern! Correlation! Aaaahhh!".

On the flip side, I don't blame anybody for being worried or paranoid. Most people probably still remember the 360 RROD fiasco. Then take into account the whole of last year, what that meant in terms of production, and how bleeding edge these systems are. Not to mention how... half baked the thing can feel at times, especially regarding the UI. It's hard to shake the feeling that parts of this were probably rushed, and that's never a good thing.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    We're looking at a rather unprecedented launch. Middle of a pandemic, massive demand, and it really feels like they had a "ship it and hope for the best" approach with the software and UI for both systems. Systems shouldn't be launching missing key features, and definitely shouldn't need patches to prevent bricking with normal use. It's not really comparable to launched that came before.

edited January 2021

That's nice that you've used it since day one with no issues. I'm telling you I personally have had issues with rest mode, though none since they patched it. Sorry that my actual experience does not "prove to you" that an issue happened and is being "conflated with fact".

GnomeTank on
    I'll hazard the rate of failure on the PS5 is about the same as it's been for every other console throughout the decades. The only difference is you live in an are where you can now hear about every single one of those failures. And as soon as you hear about 3 separate instances, your brain then goes "Pattern! Correlation! Aaaahhh!".

On the flip side, I don't blame anybody for being worried or paranoid. Most people probably still remember the 360 RROD fiasco. Then take into account the whole of last year, what that meant in terms of production, and how bleeding edge these systems are. Not to mention how... half baked the thing can feel at times, especially regarding the UI. It's hard to shake the feeling that parts of this were probably rushed, and that's never a good thing.

It's the second one for me. It's also that straight up it is not all that inconvenient for me to never put it on rest mode I do not have to worry about long download speeds or anything else.

Incidentally it has been easy to find out how often things fail for like a decade and a half now. We've been living in information overload for a while.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I've found no actual information on that, it just seems to be people who saw someone saying they saw it happen to someone somewhere online.

Except me and others posting multiple times in this thread that it happened to us.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.

In other news, I've always had food to eat therefore global hunger is solved.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2021
    I just had my first amazing encounter with failing to successfully acquire a PS5!

I downloaded the HotStock app, and earlier I got the notification that Best Buy had them in stock, so I went to their site and hit the little yellow button to Add to Cart, and was told "Oh, lolz, they're gone now, maybe the button will turn yellow again in a few minutes." After a couple rounds of this I got one into my cart and tried to check out, but it wouldn't let me unless i created a Best Buy account. I did that, and then it tells me I have to validate my account via email with the code they just sent me, except the email didn't include a code. I had it resend the email like five times, none of which included a code, and then the Best Buy site said "Oh, they're all gone now, better luck next time, asshole."

Ten minutes later, I received the validation code.

Have I successfully completed my hazing? Am I one of you, now?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I just had my first amazing encounter with failing to successfully acquire a PS5!

I downloaded the HotStock app, and earlier I got the notification that Best Buy had them in stock, so I went to their site and hit the little yellow button to Add to Cart, and was told "Oh, lolz, they're gone now, maybe the button will turn yellow again in a few minutes." After a couple rounds of this I got one into my cart and tried to check out, but it wouldn't let me unless i created a Best Buy account. I did that, and then it tells me I have to validate my account via email with the code they just sent me, except the email didn't include a code. I had it resend the email like five times, none of which included a code, and then the Best Buy site said "Oh, they're all gone now, better luck next time, asshole."

One of us! One of us!

It does seem like they're pumping them out, though. Wario64 seems to have multiple posts on Twitter every day announcing new PS5 drops at various retailers.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Yup. Lesson one is "Mash the button and refresh until it lets you buy it or you give up.

Lesson two is "I should have created an account first."

Random question: Is there a game you guys would recommend that has really good sound design? I just got a nice set of speakers (upgraded to 5.1 finally) and I want to break it in right. Obviously PS4 is open as well.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Random question: Is there a game you guys would recommend that has really good sound design? I just got a nice set of speakers (upgraded to 5.1 finally) and I want to break it in right. Obviously PS4 is open as well.

Red Dead Redemption 2 does a lot with surround.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Yeah, I didn't ultimately care for RDD2, but that game was gorgeous and sounded fantastic in 5.1.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.