As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam]-heim. Valhalla has no backlogs.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Speaking of Paradise Killer, friendly reminder that (one of) the games that inspired it, The Silver Case, is only $8, and one of the best VNs/crime dramas you'll ever play.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/476650/The_Silver_Case/

I wrote an entire article about how special this game is, and how it being made and finally localized are both different flavors of miracle.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/the-silver-case/

Also, the art is fantastic.

pretop.gif
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Several years ago, I tossed a coin

to your Witcher?
    I...

*Glances at his several-years-old, as-yet-unplayed copy of Witcher III*

...technically, I guess

:(

Don't feel bad, I haven't finished 2 yet.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    Ah...to actually have money to spend. Well ok, I spent Steam wallet funds I've been hanging onto forever. Anywho! I picked up a few games this sale to pad out my backlog.

Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey
    Star Wars Battlefront II
    Islanders
    Undead Horde

Islanders is a pretty chill puzzle game/city builder thingy. I played that a bit last night while vegging out with the tv playing in the background. I think I'm going to install the monkey simulator(Ancestors) next.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Missing card one of ten. I have dupes of eight of the remaining nine.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Classiness abounds!
    dqsQmDP.png

Thanks @ArbitraryDescriptor for Children of Morta! Had my eye on this one, and look forward to checking it out. Much appreciated! :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Classiness abounds!
    dqsQmDP.png

Thanks ArbitraryDescriptor for Children of Morta! Had my eye on this one, and look forward to checking it out. Much appreciated! :)

Side plug for parents out there:

It plays two with local-coop, and the kids (6&8) are somehow able to play it without bickering*.

*Not a guarantee

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    @Karoz ! Geez, thanks for Baldur's Gate 3.
    bx9p7bho9azd.jpg

• IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    Woo. More yuri. Thank you @HiT BiT <3<3

But really the sale should be over now.
    kvr5q5a5ryu5.jpg

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    @Karoz is on a rampage. No-one is safe!

9k10x5fuz1xz.jpg

Thanks for Detention! <3

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Poor Karoz just wants to help the wishlists, but cruel users gifts him back.

Thanks to @Asthariel for Regalia and Timelie!
    cx2qgcefx7ih.png

bme6dbtwpw1t.png

Also thanks @DaringDirk for Lego Marvel Superheroes 2!
    ar0bix8vdnz5.png

• MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    Top games for me in 2020?

If I can count DLC, then Monster Hunter: Iceborne and Remnant from the Ashes: Subject 2923 have to be up there. I got to spend a lot of time with some good friends playing through those and enjoyed every minute of it.

If I think of full games that released, I think my top two right now are Monster Train and Hardspace: Shipbreaker. Haven't discussed Shipbreaker with too many other players yet, but Monster Train had a good stint in a couple communities and it was a good time talking strategy and comparing games.

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I enjoy playing through terraria, but without clear goalposts, I am kind of vexed. I have done every boss before hard mode but have not adequetly explored the world.

Gonna ignore it for a week and play something tighter.

Like witcher 1

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    The sale is over now? I survived? Woo!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Lunar New Year sale is just around the corner.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Mudzgut wrote: »
    Top games for me in 2020?

If I can count DLC, then Monster Hunter: Iceborne and Remnant from the Ashes: Subject 2923 have to be up there. I got to spend a lot of time with some good friends playing through those and enjoyed every minute of it.

If I think of full games that released, I think my top two right now are Monster Train and Hardspace: Shipbreaker. Haven't discussed Shipbreaker with too many other players yet, but Monster Train had a good stint in a couple communities and it was a good time talking strategy and comparing games.

Hardspace for me, hands down. Innovative, funny, and hints of a richly imagined universe just out of frame. It's like Little Inferno grew up and got an engineering degree.

Beyond the game itself, the catharsis of controlled demolition in the near-silence of space was the perfect to unwind from the daily chaos of 2020.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Oh Great, Steam just died agai- (*checks date and it's a Tuesday)

Fuck

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Oh Great, Steam just died agai- (*checks date and it's a Tuesday)

Fuck

For you, the day Steam went down was the most important day of your life.

But for me, it was Tuesday.

• FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I just installed and started Darkest Dungeon. This looks like something I can get hooked into, but it's also pretty hefty on "stuff" just being lobbed at you. Lots of numbers, things, upgrades, and so forth going on. I did the intro run and my first quest. Got to the last room of the first quest and defeated the bad guys. Thought I had to manually walk out and lost my healer in the process.

So....I'd like to avoid stuff like that happening again if possible. Any protips on encounters, combat, upgrading, etc? The usual "I wish I knew X before I started playing" sort of things.

Here are some maxims I follow. None of them are hard and fast rules, but I think they can help you get acclimated:
    • Upgrade the stage coach network one level as soon as you can to start getting more recruits. I don't think further upgrades to the network are worthwhile, but you'll want to max out the barracks size eventually.
    • Upgrading the nomad wagon is probably the lowest priority of all buildings in the hamlet.
    • Upgrading the guild, the blacksmith, and the sanitarium's ability to treat quirks are all high priority and critical to your progression.
    • Take someone with a good stun skill on every expedition. Stun the most pernicious enemy every turn, but note that an enemy gains stun resistance for one turn after being stunned, so spread the blackjacking around a bit.
    • Once you have access to camping skills, take someone who can prevent nighttime ambushes on every expedition that affords you firewood.
    • Improve your party's scouting ability with the relevant character quirks and trinkets. Scouting reveals traps (among other things), which are a significant source of stress if not detected.
    • Stress is the party killer. Stress is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face the Bone Courtier first. I will permit the blows of the other skeletons to pass over me and through me. Only when the tempting goblet clatters to the floor will I turn my inner eye to other targets. And where the stress has gone there will be nothing; only I will remain.

Also: did you know you can change a character's active skills during an expedition, as long as you're not in combat? Because I sure didn't until I was 18936102936 hours in and gosh it would've been useful on occasion.

Edit: while watching the Darkest Dungeon 2 trailer for the eleventy-billionth time, I spotted a new player guide in the recommended videos which looks promising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjEYqeG-4sc

Fanda on
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    I literally have no idea what this is...

st66xz5k4wd0.png

but I love RPGs and tactics, so I'll probably like it too!

Thanks @Iolo !

Apparently we both had the same target on our backs and the class monster wasn't satisifed with just one victim.

Thanks @Iolo - now back to my regularly scheduled lurking.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    Speaking of Paradise Killer, friendly reminder that (one of) the games that inspired it, The Silver Case, is only $8, and one of the best VNs/crime dramas you'll ever play.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/476650/The_Silver_Case/

I wrote an entire article about how special this game is, and how it being made and finally localized are both different flavors of miracle.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/the-silver-case/

Also, the art is fantastic.

Oh man I've had my eye on it for a while but always hesitated to pull the trigger because it looked so dark and heavy that I wasn't sure I'd be up for playing through it in its entirety, but this endorsement is what's going to finally get me to give it a shot.

qcklw92m98s0.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    While we're on the topic of detective games, I pulled Outer Wilds out of my backlog. You solve a mystery of a Majora's Mask type Groundhog Day loop. And it has that "I wish I could erase my memory" feel of The Return of the Obra Dinn.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6LGnVCL1_A

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Anyone else get a little giddy when they look upon green wire frame maps?

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Damn satisfactory has been crashing on me all day

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    My game of the year, hm.

Honestly, I think I have to give it to Horizon Zero Dawn. It has fairly good gameplay, but it's really the aesthetics and the writing that give it the top spot, I think. Aloy is fun, the game's take on a post-apocalypse feels like it drinks a lot more from the eastern style than your typical fallouts and mad maxes and so on, the backstory is positively haunting, the npcs are often likable and human, and of course all the robot critters are just so gorram cool. Robot dinosaurs is a heck of an aesthetic flex.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    @Karoz thinks I am an ash hole and sent me Ashen! Which looks like a really fun souls like! Thank you Pate! ♥ There is no way this will be a trap and I will end up kicked down a hole!

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    My game of the year, hm.

Honestly, I think I have to give it to Horizon Zero Dawn. It has fairly good gameplay, but it's really the aesthetics and the writing that give it the top spot, I think. Aloy is fun, the game's take on a post-apocalypse feels like it drinks a lot more from the eastern style than your typical fallouts and mad maxes and so on, the backstory is positively haunting, the npcs are often likable and human, and of course all the robot critters are just so gorram cool. Robot dinosaurs is a heck of an aesthetic flex.

Sounds neat. Just a shame that PS4 ports to PC seem to really hate my computer. Both Horizon and Detroit: Become Human couldn't even get through frontloading all the shaders before it would just power off my machine.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I had no idea One Step From Eden was a rougelike until I finally died. :lol:
    Ah well.

wVEsyIc.png
    Ah well.

Toxic makeup really is just the worst.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Damn satisfactory has been crashing on me all day

What on earth were you building?!
    https://youtu.be/sTvAmwnhIxM

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Ah well.

I'm sure Ms. Shopkeep would agree.

846ypr8fjeos.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ah well.

I'm sure Ms. Shopkeep would agree.

846ypr8fjeos.png

Shopkeep is scary.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Started playing Hades and oh man, that art, especially the characters, is so goooooood

e: there's probably no other (higher res?) art out there than the wallpapers on the official site and the steam card stuff, right? My phone needs a greek god upgrade

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• DudemanXDudemanX Riverhead, NYRegistered User regular
    I thought I survived gifting season unscathed. At the last minute @bigity swooped in with the gift of Vermintide 2.

TYVM

Steam: DudemanX3
    Discord: Dudeman#9279 - Battle.net: Dudeman#1385
    Twitch: CrashTestJonny - XBox: CrshTstJonny
    Nintendo Switch: SW-4469-1892-0302
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    My GOTY was Immortals Fenyx Rising.

Most anticipated (that still snuck up on me) was Creeper World 4.

Monster Train is also very good. Haven't played it, and I need to; but Hades too.

HZD getting a pc release this year meant it got a good amount of 'goty' feelings two separate years. Even if I haven't played it a ton, going back to that setting felt so nice.

steam_sig.png
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    While Spiritfarer is probably my overall GOTY, I had an arguably bigger impact by Vampire Masquerade: Shadows of New York.

Music, visuals and story was great and never knew that much about the Lasombra clan since they are mostly Sabbat in previous games and even then rarely encountered.

Mid-late game spoilers
    The game takes place at the start of 2020 and as you're hitting some serious story beats suddenly the COVID lockdown occurs and the presence is just unnerving even to a supernatural being. The bustling streets full of prey are suddenly empty other than the odd individual who can't stay inside. So often it seems like human life goes on with little impact on Kindred but here is a big enough event to put a sudden jarring change in the environment. Overall it's still rather minor as being immune to disease have as much effect on your and Kindred but it just really resonated.

I hope more video games and other pieces of art record this shocking time instead of just trying to forget it.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    My game of the year is Gears Tactics. I very rarely play games twice (unless they're designed for it), but I started a second campaign in the Jacked mode directly after finishing it the first time. Other stand-outs are Monster Train, Astro's Playroom, and Marvel's Avengers.

camo_sig2.png
    I haven't been able to pick a GOTY so I'm calling it a 3-way tie between Cyberpunk 2077, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Immortals Fenyx Rising. They're all amazing. I love them all. If they were the only 3 games I owned, I could probably be happily entertained through a good chunk of 2021.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Final Fantasy 7 Remake is my GOTY hands down. Close behind are Hades, Ghost of Tsushima, Project Wingman, Persona 5 Royal, Genshin Impact, Spider-man: Miles Morales, and Friendship with Benefits.

Pretty good year for games, I think. Maybe not an all-time great year, but plenty of fantastic stuff still came out.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Apparently, Animal Crossing New Horizons and Final Fantasy VII Remake are the only games I played through last year that were released in that year. I started Trials of Mana, but I'm not even at the Holy City yet, so I don't feel comfortable really deciding how much I like it just yet, and I have yet to play Carrion or DOOM Eternal, so I don't have input on those either. I tried Genshin Impact but bowed out before the first real boss fight (the dragon) as the game was already getting too hard to play because of the level bumps combined with what was needed to keep everyone leveled to a point that they could be useful (which apparently I was supposed to pick a "team" but that felt restrictive); I just could not meet the game on its own terms.

Honestly, I rarely play a game in the year it was released anymore. Thanks to my Steam library combined with my Switch and Playstation libraries, I have around 300 unplayed or unfinished games, and I want to give each of them a chance in turn, so it's more likely I'll still be playing 2020 games in a few years from now.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Thanks to my Steam library combined with my Switch and Playstation libraries, I have around 300 unplayed or unfinished games

Ha ha. It is to laugh.

7b7c2ofdi9oz.jpg

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
This discussion has been closed.