As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Beyond Light: Out Now!

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    as someone who loves arby it’s insanely easy to use compared to any sniper

The difference is that you have to charge it. So against a great sniper it’s tough. But against most players it’s amazing

But really arby was held in place against revoker. With revoker you could fight an arby user by just poke sniping and eventually landing your shot or making them miss twice as they couldn’t pre charge your random peaks

Without revoker arby is a beast cause snipers can’t just peak for miliseconds and send out free tries at popping your head off.

Edit: and trying to snipe this season abs playing a bit with my buddy who is typically a great sniper. Flinch seems buffed against snipers. It’s insanely hard to snipe through flinch now. And most guns seem to be able to flinch you good at long range now. Arby has always been super easy to use through flinch as well.

So I can see why snipers in particular hate arby. It’s a higher floor lower ceiling version.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Disrupter wrote: »

Without revoker arby is a beast cause snipers can’t just peak for miliseconds and send out free tries at popping your head off.
    The only problem I have with this is that it ignores the fact that the Arby player has to time their charges / work on anticipating their opponents move. It's like the shotgun players who complain about Bastion / fusions....

They're literally just pointing and clicking, the fusion player is anticipating based on sounds / movement patterns AND their reactions / flick skills. Yes, the sniper is using anticipation / sounds sometimes to, but not to the same extent. They're mostly relying on reactions / flick skills.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    As someone who uses Arby a lot, I like it because the high aim assist helps combat flinch. The charge time actually can help you line up a shot before letting it loose. I took a shitload of clips from this weekend, I'll toss them together.

Local H Jay on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Arby has generally felt great this season, with the exception of playing against sliding/melee stasis Titans. It’s really hard to keep aim when they do that.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Disrupter wrote: »

The only problem I have with this is that it ignores the fact that the Arby player has to time their charges / work on anticipating their opponents move. It's like the shotgun players who complain about Bastion / fusions....

They're literally just pointing and clicking, the fusion player is anticipating based on sounds / movement patterns AND their reactions / flick skills. Yes, the sniper is using anticipation / sounds sometimes to, but not to the same extent. They're mostly relying on reactions / flick skills.

I think there’s two different scenarios. Sniper vs primary and sniper vs sniper.

I’m the former it’s more flick skills. But it’s also a situation where arby is just way better. Lower zoom, way stickier, deals with flinch better. Against a primary weapon arby is sooo much better than a sniper.

Sniper v sniper is a different story. First it’s less flick and more knowing where the enemy head will be at all angles and pre aiming as you peak.

That’s where previous seasons I felt arby wasn’t super viable in trials or comp because a good sniper would stomp a good arby. In a sniper v sniper even feathering is just too hard to anticipate when the enemy sniper would peak. Sniper v sniper duels were instant in trials and comp. revoker was a big reason. You could peak and take a pot shot risk free. An arby user had zero chance against that. Now without revoker you can’t do that nearly as easily. So chances are snipers are more often holding an angle which gives the arby a fighting chance to precharge and peek. Combine that with sword or emote peaking and it def lowers the gap between the two on a sniper duel

TLDR arby is much better against non snipers, revoker was a pretty hard counter to arby in sniper duels and now that gap is closed a bunch leaving arby likely the better choice overall

Not shitting on arby. I love it. I loved queens breaker back in d1. I just used to know a good sniper would eat my lunch and this season I don’t think so anymore

616610-1.png
  • Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Revoker was the only sniper I could ever use effectively due to regenrating ammo. I could take shitty shots all day and not be punished. Sunsetting removed my viable sniper, and it feels good to not have to carry the burden of "regenerating ammo infinite range OHKO weapon" and instead play with trash primaries.

Zombie Gandhi on
    I think the game is playing in a much more vertical way this season which revoker could punish with lower zoom and free pot shots that normal snipers can’t

Arby still can though

616610-1.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    New seasonal mission's up with today's reset. Perhaps we might see that cutscene that got leaked a while back play out by the end.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It took me a bit to get used to the Titan punch, but now that I am....it's obscene, in super and outside of super, but I don't think it's OP. The thing with the normal punch is that it's counterable by other players if they melee back. It'll prevent the knockback. That is, amusingly, usually enough to kill the Titan since chances are they took damage on incoming. It's good, but I think it's fine due to that. The shoulder charge, by comparison, is an insta-kill. The Titan stasis charge punch is not.

Both are also expended abilities, too, except the Stasis one actually even is consumed without making contact (which is fine and fair).

The super version of the punch is usually a one hit (except against enemy supers except for, maybe, Golden Gun?). Once I got used to how I have to hold the button down and steer, it became very powerful....but mainly on smaller, more focused maps. Twilight Gap, Pacifica, Wormhaven, etc., it feels very very strong. Altar of Flame, Midtown, Widow's Court? Much less so because, while it's faster in a straight line than fist of havoc, fist of havoc is far more maneuverable and can dodge / react to enemies faster. When the Titan hits either their punch or their smash in Behemoth, they're VERY linear and very vulnerable.

Don't get me wrong, the kit is still extremely good, but it's still a full tier below Hunter. I don't know what I'd do to it to weaken it that wouldn't totally crush the class, tbh.

OMG, this explains so much. I would bet this is why Stasis Titan punch basically never works on PC. You go in, the enemy doesn't get knockedback most of the time and even if they do, they just shoot or punch you to death during the recovery animation. It's exactly like how shoulder charges worked (or rather, didn't) during D2 Y1.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    New seasonal mission's up with today's reset. Perhaps we might see that cutscene that got leaked a while back play out by the end.

It's bugged for me. Early on you fight the seasonal boss for a bit while he teleports around, and eventually he teleports to a particular spot and just stands there doing nothing. Even if you kill him the mission won't continue. It's happened every time I've tried.

H9f4bVe.png
    edited January 2021
    https://youtu.be/IOn3SuTnw48

I was still playing out of my mind this weekend but came up short at 5 and 6 wins multiple times. Between all the Shatterdive 3 stacks, map exploits and titans going 90mph around corners I need a break. Hopefully next weekend is better.

Local H Jay on
    edited January 2021
    Ayup. Even on console a lot of players will just panic melee you when you go in and avoid the knockback. It's best to use it as an actual attack from behind or the flank to catch them off-guard.

That being said, I love yeeting people off maps or killing them via architects by launching them into objects....so I still love the punch. It's still best to use it as a get the fuck out of dodge move or movement in general, but the lure of the yeet....that and being on console :D.

Ship reward from the High Celebrant mission appears to be RNG.

Bizazedo on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I finished the new mission it was fine.

You were supposed to get "high stat" armor out of it. I got arms... with a roll of... 53.

Edit: welp

august on
    So the ship may not be RNG, then.

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    I found the Titan stasis punch (non super) much more usable once I admitted that it was garbage in combat and will always get you killed in a fight. It is a great mobility / escape tool so long as you can learn to never use it when there is a target you might accidentally lock on to.

It is fun to yeet someone in their super off a cliff at 90 MPH but its like 50/50 whether the punch will work at all (at least on PC) and that's not counting the number of times you'll just die en route during your dramatic approach. The punch is great for, say, escaping a bad situation when you have the wrong weapon loadout or getting to cover.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
    Here's a common scenario that played out this weekend on the trials map:

Me and Titan get in a 1v1 ranged fight through the Oculus (terrible spot to lane but I end up there anyways). We both strip shields and back off a step. I prep my shatter wall in case he rushes, doesn't matter because before I even start regen titan uses Charged Punch to round the two corners... And the charge punch goes through my ice without damaging them (not sure if this is a glitch). Obviously only super aggro titans will do this and succeed, but it happened a decent amount.

Unrelated but another fun stasis oddity; you can break out of a freeze by popping your super, so often Hunters will instantly counter a tornado even when frozen. I hate it.

Here's a common scenario that played out this weekend on the trials map:

Me and Titan get in a 1v1 ranged fight through the Oculus (terrible spot to lane but I end up there anyways). We both strip shields and back off a step. I prep my shatter wall in case he rushes, doesn't matter because before I even start regen titan uses Charged Punch to round the two corners... And the charge punch goes through my ice without damaging them (not sure if this is a glitch). Obviously only super aggro titans will do this and succeed, but it happened a decent amount.

Unrelated but another fun stasis oddity; you can break out of a freeze by popping your super, so often Hunters will instantly counter a tornado even when frozen. I hate it.

I've never had the titan punch go through enemy crystals safely, but I also admit I haven't been specifically trying to see if it works (sliding doesn't, great way to kill yourself).

If the punch is a reliable way to break enemy crystals without damage that would make it much more useful, at least vs. hunters (which means more useful vs. about 65% of your opponents in an average game).

I prep my shatter wall in case he rushes, doesn't matter because before I even start regen titan uses Charged Punch to round the two corners... And the charge punch goes through my ice without damaging them (not sure if this is a glitch). Obviously only super aggro titans will do this and succeed, but it happened a decent amount.
    Normal punch only goes so far, did you jump straight up instead of backwards?

Hunter super needs a sledgehammer taken to it. It's an amazing attacking, defending, *and* shutdown super....and the radius on the initial freeze is insanely big.

It doesn't break the crystals. The titan just goes right through the ice wall

It should break the crystals....that almost sounds like on their screen they got past the wall before it went up. Dunno.

I know I've crashed through enemy crystals before and took damage (but not a lot of damage).

Stasis is pretty buggy. There seems to be a major different in breakout time if you're frozen based on the state of your model animation.

I'm sure introducing an entirely new powerset is hard to get right but it would be nice if there was at least a little more clarity in how Stasis was supposed to work so we can know when it isn't working right.

It should break the crystals....that almost sounds like on their screen they got past the wall before it went up. Dunno.

I know I've crashed through enemy crystals before and took damage (but not a lot of damage).

Yeah, my experience is that breaking enemy crystals damages you by some amount. It's not near as big as the enemy damage but it's a noticeable chunk.

Hunters can Shatterdive enemy Ice without taking damage. Humorously, it kills friendlies if you do.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Stasis is pretty buggy. There seems to be a major different in breakout time if you're frozen based on the state of your model animation.

I'm sure introducing an entirely new powerset is hard to get right but it would be nice if there was at least a little more clarity in how Stasis was supposed to work so we can know when it isn't working right.

it also depends on how you're frozen
    Cold Snap freeze duration lowered (4.75s -> 1.35s). 
    Ice Flare Bolts freeze duration lowered (4.75s -> 1.35s). 
    Penumbral Blast (Stasis Warlock Melee) freeze duration lowered (4.75s -> 1.35s). 

Everything else still freezes you for the full, nearly 5-second duration. Also, the game will block you from breaking out if the freeze will expire before the breakout occurs, so if you're not hammering the button from a warlock or Cold Snap freeze, you wont get to manually breakout.

edited January 2021
    There are also no diminishing returns on being frozen because Scarab Lord Luke completely forgot all the lessons WoW learned regarding CC....or they just assumed you'd die, meaning they already knew how powerful it was.

Either way :).

Bizazedo on
    Apparently there's some spooky whispers in the new seasonal mission and someone from /raidsecrets sat there for close to four minutes to get a recording of it.

Having played a bunch of stasis titan over the last two days in IB:

1) Dead Cliffs is still a shitty broken map.
    2) Titan stasis punch is still bad. Like 75% of the time even if you do land the punch they just punch you as they fly away, instantly stopping their momentum and killing you before you can recover.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Soft-locked the new mission four times in three separate locations.

Cool, Bungie. Cool.

Yeah, waiting for that to be fixed before trying it myself.

Wow I got a 1260 helm, Eyes of Tomorrow and a decent Posterity, actually not bad loot from the raid for once

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm not touching that new story mission until I hear it's 100% good to go, what a mess.

Wow I got a 1260 helm, Eyes of Tomorrow and a decent Posterity, actually not bad loot from the raid for once
    I am jelly. Beaten the raid with 3 characters every week, still no Eyes. I JUST got the Titan helm, at least.

Anyone used Posterity in PvP / what's the god roll for that one?

Also x2, today's Thursday, will the TWAB be good?!

Posterity is popular in PvP as the replacement Trust (I think?). The perk that seems to make people excited is Surplus, where you get bonuses for every charged ability you have. The one I got last night was Surplus/Opening Shot and near max range. But it's gonna be hard to put down my Nature of Beasts.

This gun is so good
    9u3pkuckbapi.jpg

Quickdraw makes it the perfect combo for Arby, bodyshot with Arby and hotswap to pistol and finish with a single bodyshot. Demo so I always get my Ice/Skip grenade back. Hipfire grip because it's alarmingly accurate when spamming from the hip. I've hit many hipfire headshots with this bad boy.

The range MW helps too

This is my Posterity roll and it's straight fire; Full Bore/Tactical Mag/Surplus/Rampage, with a Range MW. One stack of Rampage will let you 3 tap anyone 4 resilience or less (so also any damage bonus, like the freeze one) and that's that tasty NF TTK we all crave.

NSGKeOa.png

I've been tempted to try some other weapons like the Posterity out, but I am totally spoiled with the range of my Stars in Shadow and Bastion. I have two Stars in Shadow, one with 81 stability and Outlaw / Kill Clip, and one with Surplus / Headseeker that is so easy to two burst with.

180s like Posterity are surprisingly forgiving at range because under normal circumstances you have to 2 head/2 body to kill people and it isn't the quickest, but as damage drop off starts when you get out of range you can still kill people in 4 shots if they're headshots and it's easy as punch to keep hitting crits with a 180.

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I've been tempted to try some other weapons like the Posterity out, but I am totally spoiled with the range of my Stars in Shadow and Bastion. I have two Stars in Shadow, one with 81 stability and Outlaw / Kill Clip, and one with Surplus / Headseeker that is so easy to two burst with.

Gah, I want a Surplus/Headseeker Stars as an alternate/improvement to my Cold Denial, but so far no luck.
    That said, I think I'll stay on the Trustee train. I want Surplus/Wellspring, but my Under Pressure/High-Impact-Reserves is also pretty tasty.

Some good weapons this season!

edited January 2021
    Other random things I've been trying recently: The Bombardiers with stasis hunter

These things feel like they are so close to being good. Or at least decent and fun. Get in close, dodge back, clean up if needed.

Main problem is the bomb is just too slow for how low the damage is. Like, it's a good chunk of damage. But it's not even close to a one-shot. So your strategy has to be basically catch them in close, dodge back and then clean up. Or you move in while doing some damage and then dodge away and let the bomb finish them off.

General problem I have is that they just gun you the fuck down before the bomb ever goes off. Or they just move far enough from where you dodged that by the time the damn bomb goes off, they are taking a good chunk less damage and thus don't die or will take too many hits to kill. Either way the most likely outcome is that you are dead and watching the bomb go off over your corpse and hoping maybe it takes them with you.

I really feel like if the damn bomb just went off faster they would actually be viable and a fun aggressive playstyle.

It also feels like it's probably one of those things clearly designed by people who never played with KBAM.

shryke on
  • CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    I've been gunning for a Killing Wind/Rampage Posterity with high range, but with no luck. Spent like 600 spoils at this point.
    Surplus is nice but I spam abilities too much to get much use out of it.

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."