As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Ahsoka Tano thread [Star Wars]

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    3:10 to Jabba

"That transport arrives at exactly 310 parsecs and you are gonna be on it."

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    3:10 to Jabba

"That transport arrives at exactly 310 parsecs and you are gonna be on it."

20 years later
    Fanboy1 "But parsecs are a measurement of distance, that doesn't make sense at all!"
    Fanboy2 "No, you see 310 parsecs was the distance to the transport boarding platform, because of the way space folded in the region it makes perfect sense!"

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    This Lucas guy seems a-okay.

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    reVerse wrote: »

Or not...

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/22/us/george-lucas-retreats-from-battle-with-neighbors.html

Edit: sorry, Let me build my third studio expansion here or else....

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
    https://www.e-flux.com/architecture/housing/333702/standoff-at-grady-ranch/

Uhh, it looks like he has a legitimate desire to build low income houses in whitey white land, so I'm not sure how that makes him less cool

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »

Or not...

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/22/us/george-lucas-retreats-from-battle-with-neighbors.html

Edit: sorry, Let me build my third studio expansion here or else....

These ellipses are doing a hell of a lot of work.

Atlas in Chains on
    Bloods End wrote: »

Uhh, it looks like he has a legitimate desire to build low income houses in whitey white land, so I'm not sure how that makes him less cool

You are right. Lucas is impossible of pretextual threats playing on fears of rich whites living nearby to extort them to letting him continue expanding his studio system in marin. Also, the Irish should have just eaten their children during then potatoes famine.

steam_sig.png
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

You are right. Lucas is impossible of pretextual threats playing on fears of rich whites living nearby to extort them to letting him continue expanding his studio system in marin. Also, the Irish should have just eaten their children during then potatoes famine.

These same neighbors also object to his most recent project of a vineyard. He's not the only one who has consistently run into development issues in Marin County. They are the epitome of NIMBYism in the Bay Area.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    A bunch of rich assholes whining because the "wrong" kind of project is getting built within fifty miles of their land?

Fuck 'em. Turn every available scrap of land in the area into project housing, it's a nice area and there's zero fucking reason struggling folks should have to live in areas that look like shit.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I'm not a big fan of Lucas but frankly my sympathy for any property owners in the SFO area that fall into the nimby category is virtually non-existent .

I'm not for the property owners in marin or sympathetic to this particular group. I'm just pointing out that Lucas isn't some enlightened billionaire hero of the people. He made very specific comments to prey on the fears of NIMBY people to get what he wants. He could of just sold the land to a low income developer and said nothing, instead he hand waives and says this lawsuit is terrible and because of it I just now suddenly want to turn this land into low income housing. Granted a much less cynical take would be to just take his statements at face value, but I cannot get there.

In other words, if Lucas meant what he said, his actions would have reflected it.

steam_sig.png
    I'm not for the property owners in marin or sympathetic to this particular group. I'm just pointing out that Lucas isn't some enlightened billionaire hero of the people. He made very specific comments to prey on the fears of NIMBY people to get what he wants. He could of just sold the land to a low income developer and said nothing, instead he hand waives and says this lawsuit is terrible and because of it I just now suddenly want to turn this land into low income housing. Granted a much less cynical take would be to just take his statements at face value, but I cannot get there.

In other words, if Lucas meant what he said, his actions would have reflected it.

I'm not sure why I should give a shit. I wish more people would do random, petty charitable acts when they are angry. As far as his actions...he built the fucking ranch. It was not an idle threat, he put up his money and his land and he built low income housing. I cannot stress this enough, not only do I care not one jot that his heart wasn't pure when he did this, I think it's baller as fuck that he built 224 housing units out of spite and kindness.

I'm not sure why I should give a shit. I wish more people would do random, petty charitable acts when they are angry. As far as his actions...he built the fucking ranch. It was not an idle threat, he put up his money and his land and he built low income housing. I cannot stress this enough, not only do I care not one jot that his heart wasn't pure when he did this, I think it's baller as fuck that he built 224 housing units out of spite and kindness.

Too bad he hasn't actually done anything yet. I do agree that charity for spite is better than no charity at all.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfgate.com/sf-culture/amp/George-Lucas-sues-city-and-family-in-Marin-over-15819687.php

Once he actually completes the building of those low income units, I'll celebrate him. But it seems he is most interested in pushing through his own 624 acre vineyard instead currently.

steam_sig.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    hey i started reading the first Thrawn book and I'm gonna take everyone who complained that EU luke skywalker would never mope and grouse and hide away in a depression over his actions and impact, and i'm gonna throw them in a trash compactor on the detention level.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    hey i started reading the first Thrawn book and I'm gonna take everyone who complained that EU luke skywalker would never mope and grouse and hide away in a depression over his actions and impact, and i'm gonna throw them in a trash compactor on the detention level.

I rather enjoyed it. It was my first introduction to Gov. Price. It also made the empire much more nuanced than the movies. And I just love the guy that read the audiobook.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Oh my god EU Luke never shuts the fuck up. How he never finished his training, how itll be hard to get laid, something about slime racing, and of course Kyle Kyle kyle! it never ends!

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Given that Luke doesn't feature in the new Thrawn books at all I'm pretty sure they're referring to Heir to the Empire (which, yes, one of the defining traits of Luke's perspective as written by Zahn was constant second-guessing himself, in the "the wise are full of doubts, the fool is certain" sense).

Shadowen on
  • Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    You haven't seen moaning and second guessing in Star Wars until you read the book where Thrawn "returns".

Yeah I'm thinking star wars finally being weird and good again is paying off

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I've read the first third of the book so far. It's ok, but I couldn't tell you the name of any of the characters.

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Yea being on the NYT Best Seller's list isn't necessarily a sign of quality

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Indeed. Though I think it's been a while since a Star Wars novel has been. (What jumpstarted the old Legend EU was that the aforementioned Heir to the Empire did gangbusters, for weeks and weeks, on the NYT bestseller list.)

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    My only problem with Mando S02
    Ahsoka's horns are too small and sloped back. They're supposed to be longer and stand up more.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Stuff that works in animation doesn't work so well in live action/with practical effects, n+1 in a series.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Charles is a great writer and really gets what makes all the various characters of the series tick. I had some cool discussions with him back in in the day.

Most importantly, we both agree that Dark Empire is rad, and y'all haters can deal with it.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The weight alone was probably a huge factor.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Still, Ahsoka's makeup and prosthetics were a bit of a disappointment. Looked also quite rubbery. Shaak Ti's looked way better. Not only in shape but also in the quality of the make. I'm aware that she didn't get any action scenes in the prequels though.

I finished with Rise of Skywalker and at times there were moments when it made me thing, "Maybe I was too harsh on it" and then NOPE went straight into terrible ville.

My favorite part was how they had Palpatine, whose defining feature would be his ability to twist people and manipulate their wills grand plan to have Rey kill him so he could take over her body, but he interrupts her from killing him and taking over her body, to tell her that if she kills him he'll take over her body.

I finished with Rise of Skywalker and at times there were moments when it made me thing, "Maybe I was too harsh on it" and then NOPE went straight into terrible ville.

My favorite part was how they had Palpatine, whose defining feature would be his ability to twist people and manipulate their wills grand plan to have Rey kill him so he could take over her body, but he interrupts her from killing him and taking over her body, to tell her that if she kills him he'll take over her body.

We've come a long way in the last decade, even the Sith recognize that consent is a big deal.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

That's completely on brand with RotJ, though. Maybe not so much the PT, but in Episode VI, every time Luke seems like he might be about to fall, Palpatine stabs himself in the foot by gloating about it. Even at 13, I thought that was kind of dumb.

Commander Zoom on
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

That's completely on brand with RotJ, though. Maybe not so much the PT, but in Episode VI, every time Luke seems like he might be about to fall, Palpatine stabs himself in the foot by gloating about it. Even at 13, I thought that was kind of dumb.

At least RotJ used the Emperor monologuing to setup a nice dramatic moment where Luke reconsiders his life choices and throws down his weapon, so you get all the goodness of winning through strength of character. RoS just has Rey killing (but technically not doing the actual killing) the Emperor through the power of two lightsabers and something something all the Jedi. Abrams.

daveNYC on
    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The weight alone was probably a huge factor.

Rosario we have to do this scene in 15 minutes or you'll suffer permanent neck damage.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Still, Ahsoka's makeup and prosthetics were a bit of a disappointment. Looked also quite rubbery. Shaak Ti's looked way better. Not only in shape but also in the quality of the make. I'm aware that she didn't get any action scenes in the prequels though.

I thought they looked fine.

I mean if they were supposed to be prehensile or something that'd be another matter.

But afaik they're supposed to just have basically just ear lobe levels of mobility (which is to say none) so it didn't bother me at all.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

At least RotJ used the Emperor monologuing to setup a nice dramatic moment where Luke reconsiders his life choices and throws down his weapon, so you get all the goodness of winning through strength of character. RoS just has Rey killing (but technically not doing the actual killing) the Emperor through the power of two lightsabers and something something all the Jedi. Abrams.

No, Palpatine kills himself with his force lightening, just like it nearly worked in Revenge of the Sith. Rey just survives long enough to get point blank for it to tear him apart.

I enjoyed that choice thematically, as the "darkside consumes itself" and Rey does not personally strike Palpatine down. Remaining committed to the Jedi ideal. And yet, she still dies in the process since Papalatine is just that strong.

So yeah, liked it, no apologies.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    You'd think that if killing Papa Palps was all he needed to take over, he would have let Luke kill him in that first strike. Screw Vader again by stealing his kid. You know, like an evil Sith Lord might do.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

I thought they looked fine.

I mean if they were supposed to be prehensile or something that'd be another matter.

But afaik they're supposed to just have basically just ear lobe levels of mobility (which is to say none) so it didn't bother me at all.

I thought head tails, both Togruta and Twi'lek, were used in their languages which meant they had to move a bit more than earlobes. Mostly because I remember my Twi'lek in SWG could speak to other Twi without other races knowing what was being said.

Turns out for Togruta their lekku just barely move a bit more than earlobes since according to Wookiepedia its subtle (barely noticeable) tremors that are used to modify their language. Whereas Twi'lek can speak entirely with their Lekku.

• TheDrifterTheDrifter Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Okay, hear me out. I'm gonna say something that is a hot take, but I think it could work seperate from all the baggage of the old EU/original characters.

High Republic meets Yuuzhan Vong invasion.
    I like it, but would prefer the Vong after a trilogy of movies with Thrawn being the adversary.

And Thrawn has to help the New Republic.

And several solo movies regarding Thrawn's history.

Essentially, everything should revolve around Thrawn.

Whenever Thrawn isn't on screen, all the other characters should be asking "where's Thrawn?"

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    TheDrifter wrote: »
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Okay, hear me out. I'm gonna say something that is a hot take, but I think it could work seperate from all the baggage of the old EU/original characters.

High Republic meets Yuuzhan Vong invasion.
    I like it, but would prefer the Vong after a trilogy of movies with Thrawn being the adversary.

And Thrawn has to help the New Republic.

And several solo movies regarding Thrawn's history.

Essentially, everything should revolve around Thrawn.

Whenever Thrawn isn't on screen, all the other characters should be asking "where's Thrawn?"

That's what I've been saying for the last 15 years, and finally I feel heard

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    give me dash rendar

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
This discussion has been closed.