As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Even Worse Joke Thread

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    D'you think those tend to be family operations, or do lawyers seek out similar surnames for comedy's sake?

If Better Call Saul is any indication, family operations.
    And why would Saul lie? Aside from the dozens of reasons presented in the series, I mean.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    D'you think those tend to be family operations, or do lawyers seek out similar surnames for comedy's sake?

4xEggers is 100% family. One of the dorms on campus is also Eggers Hall.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I don't know who stole my Microsoft Office license, but whoever you are, I will find you, and I will make you pay.

You have my Word.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Tox wrote: »
    I don't know who stole my Microsoft Office license, but whoever you are, I will find you, and I will make you pay.

You have my Word.

And my Exce(l).

pimento on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I ate a load of French mushrooms when I woke up today

Breakfast of champignons
    This assumes that 'breakfast of champions' is a phrase that exists in the real world and isn't just something my friends and I say to reach other when we have a breakfast consisting of, for example, a Pot Noodle and a biscuit

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Oh good, perhaps that means I'm not the only one who occasionally corrupts Queen's We Are the Champions into Nous Sommes les Mushrooms.

• Options
    Well, now you're not

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Breakfast of champions is definitely a phrase. I think it's pretty much only used in your sense now, as sarcasm or irony, but it started out as some American breakfast brand's slogan, or was at least used in earnest by a company, but might have existed as a phrase before that.

It's also a Vonnegut book (in which it is also used sarcastically)!

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It was the tagline of Wheaties breakfast cereal for a long time, and it used to be a big deal for an American athlete to get their face on a Wheaties box.

It was like getting a Sports Illustrated cover, for those of you old enough to remember print magazines being a thing.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Oh yeah, Wheaties

It's weird how stuff just gets absorbed by the collective consciousness

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    Breakfast of champions is definitely a phrase. I think it's pretty much only used in your sense now, as sarcasm or irony, but it started out as some American breakfast brand's slogan, or was at least used in earnest by a company, but might have existed as a phrase before that.

It's also a Vonnegut book (in which it is also used sarcastically)!

yeah in the book a waitress would say it sarcastically when giving a customer a martini, so its original ironic use was specifically referring to basically having a drink in place of a meal (could be at actual breakfast but doesn't have to be)

which eventually just became a more general 'look at this shit i'm putting in my body, i am an olympic athlete motherfucker'

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    It was the tagline of Wheaties breakfast cereal for a long time, and it used to be a big deal for an American athlete to get their face on a Wheaties box.

It was like getting a Sports Illustrated cover, for those of you old enough to remember print magazines being a thing.

Well now we know you're just messing with us, 'cause they only released one magazine a year and it always had ladies in swimsuits on it.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Aparrently my wife's grandfather ate Wheaties and a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast his whole life.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The famous law firm of Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe

Don't forget that the head legal counsel is Hugh Lewis Dewey, known to the post-doctoral snow plow drivers in Harvard Square as Huey Louie Dewey.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

Unlike Sports Illustrated, getting your face on a Wheaties box wasn't cursed

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »

Don't forget that the head legal counsel is Hugh Lewis Dewey, known to the post-doctoral snow plow drivers in Harvard Square as Huey Louie Dewey.

Thank you, Click and Clack.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

No joke, there's a "Swindle Law Firm" in my local area. Used to have an office at the end of my parent's street. I chuckled every time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Bob Loblaw, attorney at law

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Despite the idea of Wheaties being generally bad, they are actually pretty tasty. Nowhere close to regular Cheerios though. GOAT cereal right there.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

"My government vehicle shakes at 17,500 mph"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moAqzM4ptm8

Tynnan on
  • Options
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Despite the idea of Wheaties being generally bad, they are actually pretty tasty. Nowhere close to regular Cheerios though. GOAT cereal right there.

My favorite has generally been just straight bran flakes. Not raisin bran, the raisins ruin it. Especially with all the sugar on them.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Regular Cheerios is a flavor so deeply programmed that if you served it to me I might immediately revert to a baby right there in front of you, like watching Benjamin Button on fast forward.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Regular Cheerios are a betrayal of all that is good and Honey Nut

Kix, on the other hand, I have stolen from a baby and feel no remorse. Kix is love

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Honey Nut Cheerios is very good but regular Cheerios is what Neutral tastes like.

• Options
    ZappBranniganFace.jpg

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Kix is pretty good but Berry Berry Kix is a full step above them.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Healthy cereals I like:
    • Cheerios
    • Corn Flakes

Borderline cereals I like:
    • Berry Berry Kix
    • Honey Nut Cheerios
    • Raisin Bran

Junk cereals I like:
    • Captain Crunch
    • Cinnamon Toast Crunch
    • Froot Loops <-favorite
    • Frosted Flakes
    • Lucky Charms

That's pretty much my top ten. Honorable mentions go to Rice Krispies, Frosted Mini-Wheats, & Frosted Cheerios. Oddly, I've never had Wheaties. Nor any of the Count Chocula/Franken Berry/Boo Berry product line.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Berry Berry Kix feels wrong to me

It's like mixing Kix with Trix and silly rabbit, that's profane

(It is good though. Man I miss Trix. And Cinnamon Toast Crunch. And Reese's Puffs. And not having Type 2 Diabetes...)

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

"My government vehicle shakes at 17,500 mph"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moAqzM4ptm8

I miss them so much.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Jordan Country Crisp with raspberry is top tier cereal - I had to buy smaller bowls so that I wouldn't eat a quarter of a box in one sitting

• Options
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Kix is pretty good but Berry Berry Kix is a full step above them.

Berry Kix definitely caught my wife's attention. She's burned through a ton of it the last couple months, after not really touching cereal much in years.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    ZappBranniganFace.jpg

Ahem

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    o8qi1OA.jpeg

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Oh, okay, I was wondering what that poster was advertising.

p9wcsxlaamz6.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Aw, boo, the image was removed.
    Ha! Found it!

kHY6fn4.jpg

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Ahh, the first hokatge

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    @Bedlam Hah, that's awesome. Thanks for going to the trouble of digging that up.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Oh, okay, I was wondering what that poster was advertising.

p9wcsxlaamz6.png

I think what this really needs is a pencil hole pushed through the back.

• Options
    kxBTgvn.jpeg

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    what do you call it when a psychic does some illegal things?

scrymes

This discussion has been closed.