As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    It's not a spoiler that
    you eventually get the special dropship
    that they talked about during the development updates for the kickstarter.
    It's in the trailer video that autoplays when you load the game's page on the Steam store! It was the headline feature of one of the kickstarter updates. If you want to go into a game that blind than you shouldn't be reading a thread for discussion of the game.

Edit: I'm pretty sure a mod ruled that things in promotional material aren't spoilers? Here, from the Smash Bros thread (regarding people putting Sephiroth's addition in spoilers):
    Sterica wrote: »
    Please stop putting the video game ad in spoilers, holy shit.

Edit 2: like you said, it's something that happens very early in the game. And a major gameplay feature is unique to it. Is me saying Luke Skywalker leaves Tatooine a spoiler? Or talking about the existence of the Millennium Falcon?
    Orca wrote: »
    When someone is specifically calling out that they don't want to be spoiled directly above, I like to err on the side of caution. Speaking personally, I like going into things as blindly as possible, so I try to make it easy for someone else trying to avoid spoilers just as a matter of courtesy.

Thanks for looking out for me, but yeah I knew the spoiler from backing the KS so it really isn't a spoiler to me at all. The video you linked said it had to do with the ending so that's why I didn't watch it. Mainly because I'm still playing it and trying to get to the end so I can find out what happens with the spoiler.

But yeah, for those who are just joining the thread thanks to recent sales they have no idea about the spoiler.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    If there's anything I've learned in this latest round of "oh god I can't stop playing MWO" it's that it's okay to have heat build-up. I'm finally getting away from my obsession of having a 2/2 heat ratio. Sustain fire is a good thing in some types of gameplay but not in MWO's style, regardless of map mode.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    There’s an art to riding the red line.

My rule of thumb is that if you haven’t hit the shutdown threshold at least once (and aren’t playing something like a DHG Thanatos), you aren’t firing enough.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Side note: I've decided what I want in a new Battletech game: Mercenary Tycoon.

Create a mercenary unit. Send lances (maybe even companies) out on missions. Juggle logistics (yes, that includes buying armor plates and ammo). Build relationships with clients as well as manufacturers. Train the Mechwarriors on various skills such as piloting, gunnery, and tactics. Dictate mech builds based on your relationships and logistical needs. I wouldn't necessarily micro the troops on missions, but if I'm in system I could observe the battle.

This is called "Pushing Paper", Nobody.

When did you peek in my Stompy Bot diary? You know, the one I keep locked and under my pillow?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Nips wrote: »
    Side note: I've decided what I want in a new Battletech game: Mercenary Tycoon.

Create a mercenary unit. Send lances (maybe even companies) out on missions. Juggle logistics (yes, that includes buying armor plates and ammo). Build relationships with clients as well as manufacturers. Train the Mechwarriors on various skills such as piloting, gunnery, and tactics. Dictate mech builds based on your relationships and logistical needs. I wouldn't necessarily micro the troops on missions, but if I'm in system I could observe the battle.

This is called "Pushing Paper", Nobody.

When did you peek in my Stompy Bot diary? You know, the one I keep locked and under my pillow?

Oh I know, and normally I have no interest in these types of games, but, you know, I’d totally run a few Merc units into the ground this way

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Battletech Mercenary Tycoon would just be King's Quest (I think that's the game), right?

• RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    If there's anything I've learned in this latest round of "oh god I can't stop playing MWO" it's that it's okay to have heat build-up. I'm finally getting away from my obsession of having a 2/2 heat ratio. Sustain fire is a good thing in some types of gameplay but not in MWO's style, regardless of map mode.

Yeah it's usually better to have a bigger alpha rather than better heat management. Brawlers need to manage heat a bit better since the plan is to continuously fire a bit more but even then you should probably have some buildup. Cool shots mean you don't need perfect heat either, specially if you're already on the "pretty good" side of things.

That said I did a run with a 6x medium laser Jester yesterday and it's fun to be able to fire forever. Also fun to burn around at 95kph in a heavy.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Even with access codes, I feel like trying to steal a ship with mechs in it is going to end up with a very exploded ship at best and a ship exploded with lots of your people on it at worst.

Also, if Comstar has all that info on that boat, why didn't they just... go get it themselves? Like a hundred years ago or something?

ComStar doesn’t necessarily want it, they just don’t want others to have it. As long as it was a derelict wreck on some moon in the Periphery then things were fine. As soon as someone recovers it then they have a problem.

As for the first part. Mechs are pretty securely stowed when being transported or are being taken apart in the Mech bay.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Axen wrote: »
    Even with access codes, I feel like trying to steal a ship with mechs in it is going to end up with a very exploded ship at best and a ship exploded with lots of your people on it at worst.

Also, if Comstar has all that info on that boat, why didn't they just... go get it themselves? Like a hundred years ago or something?

ComStar doesn’t necessarily want it, they just don’t want others to have it. As long as it was a derelict wreck on some moon in the Periphery then things were fine. As soon as someone recovers it then they have a problem.

As for the first part. Mechs are pretty securely stowed when being transported or are being taken apart in the Mech bay.
    Its commonly believed that at least one member of the crew is a ROM agent and that Comstar has been monitoring you the entire time. After reading up on the theories I’m kinda leaning towards Farah Murad.

Its commonly believed that at least one member of the crew is a ROM agent and that Comstar has been monitoring you the entire time. After reading up on the theories I’m kinda leaning towards Farah Murad.
    That makes sense to me. Being one of the most skilled and educated crew on the ship, and someone that 'miraculously' knows how some old SLDF tech functions....

Yup, ROM plant seems likely. Not to say she's a villain or anything though! It's entirely possible that 'keeping tabs on a formerly-derelict colonization ship' is just pro-forma work for the more Periphery-located ComStar agents.

Between the Argo, points in the campaign, and the Heavy Metal mini-campaign, it does make me wonder just how much old SLDF materiel is stashed out in the boondocks, lost to time.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

That makes sense to me. Being one of the most skilled and educated crew on the ship, and someone that 'miraculously' knows how some old SLDF tech functions....

Yup, ROM plant seems likely. Not to say she's a villain or anything though! It's entirely possible that 'keeping tabs on a formerly-derelict colonization ship' is just pro-forma work for the more Periphery-located ComStar agents.

Between the Argo, points in the campaign, and the Heavy Metal mini-campaign, it does make me wonder just how much old SLDF materiel is stashed out in the boondocks, lost to time.
    There are several Flashpoints where I'm quite sure you're either working for Comstar or have the option of doing so. In White Lies, you get directed to point the finger at one location vs. another by a mysterious person on the com who knows exactly who you are and can create convincing fake evidence and wants access to a particular mech warehouse. There's our friend the parrot with the sunglasses. And I'm sure there's more...

edited January 2021
    Lore wise the Argo is really, really, really nice.

It's the second largest dropship out there. The Behemoth beats it, but only just.
    It can carry, at least, a Lance of aerospace fighters.
    It can carry a Company of Mechs.
    The hab module has gravity, which is an extremely rare luxury for a ship like this.
    It has three docking collars, as opposed to the Behemoth's one. This would let the Argo (in theory) easily drop a whole Company of Mechs at once instead of just a Lance. It is also, AFAIK, the only dropship with more than one docking collar.
    The Argo was designed to have a very long operational time before needing to get overhauled. However, I think that may be moot in the "modern times" with the state of engineering in the IS.
    In theory someone could load up a Company of Mechs in the Argo and then have three dropships full of Mechs docked adding up to another Company. This, especially during this time period, would be an incredible amount of force projection for a single vessel.

The Argo would be a grand prize for anyone and would almost certainly be used as a flagship by any of the various powers. A small time Merc unit would never be able to operate one. The second they stopped anywhere for supplies assholes would try to board and seize it.

edit- Oh! I forgot to mention the single most import and valuable feature of the Argo! It has a CIC! Which is a feature that, off the top of my head, no other dropship has and I think very few ships in general have. Dropships don't have them as they were designed to simply move shit around. WarShips had CICs, but since they are [cough]extinct[/cough] there isn't many other vessels out there with one.

Ooh
    I can believe it as I can totally picture ComStar letting someone else recover the thing, get it back up and running and then just taking it at their leisure.

Axen on

It's the second largest dropship out there. The Behemoth beats it, but only just.
    The hab module has gravity, which is an extremely rare luxury for a ship like this.
    It has three docking collars, as opposed to the Behemoth's one. This would let the Argo (in theory) easily drop a whole Company of Mechs at once instead of just a Lance. It is also, AFAIK, the only dropship with more than one docking collar.
    The Argo was designed to have a very long operational time before needing to get overhauled. However, I think that may be moot in the "modern times" with the state of engineering in the IS.
    In theory someone could load up a Company of Mechs in the Argo and then have three dropships full of Mechs docked adding up to another Company. This, especially during this time period, would be an incredible amount of force projection for a single vessel.

The Argo would be a grand prize for anyone and would almost certainly be used as a flagship by any of the various powers. A small time Merc unit would never be able to operate one. The second they stopped anywhere for supplies assholes would try to board and seize it.

Ooh
    I can believe it as I can totally picture ComStar letting someone else recover the thing, get it back up and running and then just taking it at their leisure.
    I think that might have been the initial plan, but then they found the Castle Brian and the Locura virus and realized that the Argo wasn’t the real prize after all.

I’d bet that Comstar has a massive excavation going on a certain abandoned planet after the campaign is over...

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    I now remember the issue I had with MWO. Outside of events, or spending money on premium time, it takes FOREVER to skill up or buy new mechs. Granted, I am not great, but at my typical XP earn rate it takes me >50 matches with a mech to get it skilled up. And unless you are running a hero with +30% Cbills, you are pretty close to breaking even there too just buying skill points.

Wish I had started the holiday event earlier, I only picked up 50 loot bags...

Ooh
    I think that might have been the initial plan, but then they found the Castle Brian and the Locura virus and realized that the Argo wasn’t the real prize after all.

I’d bet that Comstar has a massive excavation going on a certain abandoned planet after the campaign is over...

Y'know,
    I was actually thinking about that SLDF base a few days ago and came to the conclusion that even though a mountain fell on it, I'm pretty sure digging it up would still be well worth any price.

edited January 2021
    monkeykins wrote: »
    I now remember the issue I had with MWO. Outside of events, or spending money on premium time, it takes FOREVER to skill up or buy new mechs. Granted, I am not great, but at my typical XP earn rate it takes me >50 matches with a mech to get it skilled up. And unless you are running a hero with +30% Cbills, you are pretty close to breaking even there too just buying skill points.

Wish I had started the holiday event earlier, I only picked up 50 loot bags...

I recommend for new people starting out to not burn yourself out trying to grind for CBills and just play with your mech you have (even if it is unskilled). Mainly learning the maps, where to stand/move with the group. Then during events (mainly the grab bag ones) push to just get bags and try to have fun grinding. I do wish PGI would do more of their original events again where you only had to play 50 matches and get a Centurion or 100 matches to get a Thunderbolt (not sure about the number of games, but it was achievable over their get 300 grab bags or whatever nonsense they brought later). For the Vets that Cent or Thunderbolt is cbill fodder but for new players they are still decent starting mechs and would make it more fun for people to play.

Edit: Or heck, the newer players can sell them to pay off their existing mechs.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Ooh

Y'know,
    I was actually thinking about that SLDF base a few days ago and came to the conclusion that even though a mountain fell on it, I'm pretty sure digging it up would still be well worth any price.
    Those mechs aren't going to survive being crushed by several billion tons of rock.

But let's assume they just collapsed the entrance instead of the whole thing. Who is going to be foolish enough to go first? Anyone that starts a recovery op is going to be an immediate target of everyone else that wants it. And they will just sit around and wait for you to spend a bunch of effort and resources to clear the rubble before swooping in to take it from you.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.

Ooh

Y'know,
    Those mechs aren't going to survive being crushed by several billion tons of rock.

But let's assume they just collapsed the entrance instead of the whole thing. Who is going to be foolish enough to go first? Anyone that starts a recovery op is going to be an immediate target of everyone else that wants it. And they will just sit around and wait for you to spend a bunch of effort and resources to clear the rubble before swooping in to take it from you.
    Even if the Mechs themselves are crushed, which they probably are, the salvaged remains would still be a huge win for research. And its likely that at least some components would survive. Even one working Double Heat Sink would be a game changer if it could be reverse engineered. Hell, the armor plates themselves would be worth the cost.

That said, if anyone was to excavate it it'd be ComStar. Though any Power who had knowledge of it would likely try and also very much defend the hell out of it. The Taurians still tried to recover a WarShip knowing full well someone would try to take or destory it if they learned about it. Which ComStar did and they did.

Which is why the Taurians were extra super careful about the other WarShip. . . .

For example: 400 damage from my ADR-Prime in a loss netted me <500 XP.

I just need to play each mech until I get the double XP first win bonus, then switch, I think. I'm here to grind! At least, now that Activision killed my previous grind, Modern Warfare...

Ooh

Y'know,

Realistically
    the only groups that know for certain what was there are the Restoration (which thinks it’s completely destroyed), and (possibly) Comstar which has bottomless pockets and the only Warships still around pre-Clan invasion.

Ostergaard went rogue around this time so it’s likely the Taurians don’t know the full details of what was there, or think it was destroyed as well.

I just need to play each mech until I get the double XP first win bonus, then switch, I think. I'm here to grind! At least, now that Activision killed my previous grind, Modern Warfare...

Hahahaha, yeah the 2x XP really does help with that. Plus swapping out mechs also helps you adapt to different builds, mechs and loadouts. Also I think PGI changed how to get XP with scouting and other random things.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I dislike the huge disparity between win and loss rewards. Oh, did you do fantastic, but your team were potatoes? Have a pittance, to be paid in 20 equal installments of one-twentieth of a pittance each.

It also means that, when you're riding an unskilled mech, it's harder to do well, so you're less likely to get EXP to skill it up with, but once it's skilled up and a beast, whoops, the EXP doesn't matter any more.

Ooh

Y'know,

Realistically
    the only groups that know for certain what was there are the Restoration (which thinks it’s completely destroyed), and (possibly) Comstar which has bottomless pockets and the only Warships still around pre-Clan invasion.

Ostergaard went rogue around this time so it’s likely the Taurians don’t know the full details of what was there, or think it was destroyed as well.

Honestly,
    It was probably for the best the Restoration didn't recover the cache. As bitch'n as it'd be to have SLDF Mechs the existence of them would almost certainly cause one or more of the Great Houses to invade to capture them. Yeah, those Mechs would be damn good in a fight, but even post-Restoration the Aurigans wouldn't have the resources or infrastructure to maintain or rearm the things. Nor do they have the military numbers to hold against a Great House.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

It’s also kind of wrong. It’s star league but it’s also not a battleship. It’s valuable but not dangerous. Com Star lets people have those big old egg drop ships, which are rare more capable of everything but storing a mech company.

The Argo is really nice sure, but it’s also pointless unless you run a mercenary outfit. Great houses don’t need a single vessel to ferry mechs around. They don’t need an unarmored husk for a command/control unit. They need drop ships, the bigger and more heavily armored the better. And the Argo is not a drop ship

I also don’t think it’s as vulnerable to boarding as you do. The crew is training on small arms all the time so you would need a pretty proficient/sizable force to take it without destroying it

wbBv3fj.png
    Betsuni wrote: »

Hahahaha, yeah the 2x XP really does help with that. Plus swapping out mechs also helps you adapt to different builds, mechs and loadouts. Also I think PGI changed how to get XP with scouting and other random things.

I followed up that match with a 700 damage, 3,500 XP win in my MAD4A that runs all the MPL.

edited January 2021
    The Union class is probably the most ubiquitous dropship out there. It can carry a Mech Company and 2 aerospace fighters and is certainly more armed and armored than the Argo. Plus it can land planetside.

However it is also notoriously cramped, lacks gravity, lacks general facilities for personnel and is by all accounts pretty miserable to ride in. It does have a small operations center, but it is only capable of coordinating a Lance.

The Argo can't land planetside, but can carry two extra dropships (the third docking collar would likely be reserved for JumpShips). The Argo is also rather spacious and accommodating for crew. It too carries a Mech Company, but can also field a Lance (and a half) of Aerospace fighters. The Argo is also fairly fast as far as dropships go, doubly so given its massive size. The CIC itself is Star League era and while probably "civilian grade" it is still capable of coordinating an entire battlespace. The Argo is more than just a dropship, it is a mobile command center. That in and of itself would be a huge boon to any military.

But, the biggest (and simplest) reason ComStar would not want people to have it is because it contains oh so deliciously forbidden LostTech. As far as ComStar is concerned, if it is LostTech you can't have it. If it can upset the balance of power you super-duper can't have it.

edit- Hell, if someone discovered a Star League era toilet designed for maximum water efficiency the likes of which has been lost to time ComStar would probably send an Ops to to recover it and kill anyone with knowledge of it. Because ComStar is weird like that.

edit 2- Also worth noting that the Argo doesn't need to be heavily armed or armored. Assault Dropships are because they land planetside and are extraordinarily vulnerable to artillery or bombing runs or potentially being directly assaulted. The Argo just sits in space and space is pretty damn big. If your ship is going to get attacked in space it would almost certainly be at a jump point and even then the enemy needs to know you are on the way. That's not to say you couldn't be attacked elsewhere, it is just a far less common event in the Inner Sphere.

Axen on
    Betsuni wrote: »

I followed up that match with a 700 damage, 3,500 XP win in my MAD4A that runs all the MPL.

This is the Oosik way.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I just noticed my Viper-C has jump jets. I have 50 skill points into it already.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So, about riding the heat limit...

Allow me to introduce to some of my favorite mechs:

Mad Dog: 6xSRM6+A paired with 4xERSL
    The earlier mentioned Timber Wolf: 4xSRM6+A paired with 4xERML
    Marauder IIC: 2xERPPC + 6xMPL

Basically, all of these are walking infernos that should turn to slag when you alpha. The thing that keeps me going in them is being able to alpha once (or, in the case of the Mad Dog and the SRM6 heat scale, get real good at hitting that 0.5s stagger fire between left and right torso groups), and then chain firing to keep that heat as close to red lined as possible without going over 99%. In the case of the Timber Wolf, I'll try to slow down my laser fire to get the heat down low enough to cluster-fire all the SRMs at once because that burst is real nice...but, in a brawl, keeping the pressure on can be pretty important.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Oooooh that MAD-IIC is a spicy meatball.

Timby I’ve run that before, it’s not too bad on heat but you have to plan your shots.

My Mad Dog is a streak boat so I have to salvo.

Erlkönig wrote: »
    So, about riding the heat limit...

Allow me to introduce to some of my favorite mechs:

Mad Dog: 6xSRM6+A paired with 4xERSL
    The earlier mentioned Timber Wolf: 4xSRM6+A paired with 4xERML
    Marauder IIC: 2xERPPC + 6xMPL

Basically, all of these are walking infernos that should turn to slag when you alpha. The thing that keeps me going in them is being able to alpha once (or, in the case of the Mad Dog and the SRM6 heat scale, get real good at hitting that 0.5s stagger fire between left and right torso groups), and then chain firing to keep that heat as close to red lined as possible without going over 99%. In the case of the Timber Wolf, I'll try to slow down my laser fire to get the heat down low enough to cluster-fire all the SRMs at once because that burst is real nice...but, in a brawl, keeping the pressure on can be pretty important.

Yeah, that Marauder IIc build is insane!!! I so can't get it to work as well as Erl does since I ran it for a while. Fun build when it works, but I just have to adjust my play style a lot to get it to work.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Ooh

Y'know,

Realistically

Honestly,
    It was probably for the best the Restoration didn't recover the cache. As bitch'n as it'd be to have SLDF Mechs the existence of them would almost certainly cause one or more of the Great Houses to invade to capture them. Yeah, those Mechs would be damn good in a fight, but even post-Restoration the Aurigans wouldn't have the resources or infrastructure to maintain or rearm the things. Nor do they have the military numbers to hold against a Great House.
    I mean, they could just offer to sell them and use the money for non-Lostech military gear. Military operations are expensive, they could probably get a decent price and still significantly undercut what it would cost a Great House to take them by force.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    The whole discussion about Lostech and Comstar reminds me of similar arguments I've seen in Warhammer 40,000 and Star Wars fandoms, where the thinking goes that what has been shown most of the time must always be the case with no exceptions. And it just feels bizarrely limiting for an interstellar setting? It's a very 'no-fun allowed' attitude towards storytelling. And big commercial IPs like these tend to end up doing stuff that contradicts it quite a lot. Would you prefer that HBS' battletech didn't have lostech available because it would conform more closely to your understanding of canon?

Like, Comstar had two campaigns to suppress Star League technology, Operation Holy Shroud which was a wild success, and Holy Shroud II which was not so much. Sarna isn't giving me precise dates for HSII, but it mentions the 'early succession wars' and seems to have started in the late 30th century. It also describes it as having been largely unsuccessful outside of keeping anyone from getting hard evidence of who was behind it.

Sure, they still went after high priority targets in the 31st century, like the Helm memory core, because something like that was a complete game-changer. But it doesn't necessarily follow that they were on top of every other batch of mechs or stray dropship. Julian Tiepolo was still Primus during this timeframe, and IIRC he was more of a Machiavellian type, not a crazy control freak like his later successor Myndo Waterly (who replaced him in 3029).
    Remember also that the Explorer Corps was started in the 30th century, and was always public (just not all of it's objectives). Ask yourself this; if the Argo was so amazing, why didn't Comstar's Explorer Corps have more made? Boeing Interstellar is earth based, there's no reason for them not to still have the plans, and it would certainly seem to suit their purposes. I'd take that to mean that there's drawbacks to operating the thing that are the reason why there wasn't more effort made to obtain the derelict.

Edit: got one date wrong, due to assuming the Sarna article for HSII not having the date meant their other pages wouldn't either.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Sometimes the other team can't be allowed to play mech warrior.
    vm72495ap2eu.jpg
    pfoebstj17x0.jpg
    RIP missile boats.

772 match score lol.

Edit: Alt post: COR-7A goes Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

RawrBear on
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That reminds me of all the times an AMS event 'challenge' pops up. Those events are why I keep a triple-AMS Nova in my dropship.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    That is so many missiles!

edited January 2021
    The whole discussion about Lostech and Comstar reminds me of similar arguments I've seen in Warhammer 40,000 and Star Wars fandoms, where the thinking goes that what has been shown most of the time must always be the case with no exceptions. And it just feels bizarrely limiting for an interstellar setting? It's a very 'no-fun allowed' attitude towards storytelling. And big commercial IPs like these tend to contradict it quite a lot. Would you prefer that HBS' battletech didn't have lostech available because it would conform more closely to your understanding of canon?

Like, Comstar had two campaigns to suppress Star League technology, Operation Holy Shroud which was a wild success, and Holy Shroud II which was not so much. Sarna isn't giving me precise dates for HSII, but it mentions the 'early succession wars' and seems to have started in the early 29th century. It also describes it as having been largely unsuccessful outside of keeping anyone from getting hard evidence of who was behind it.

Sure, they still went after high priority targets in the 31st century, like the Helm memory core. But it doesn't necessarily follow that they were on top of every other batch of mechs or stray dropship. Julian Tiepolo was still Primus during this timeframe, and IIRC he was more of a Machiavellian type, not a crazy control freak like his later successor Myndo Waterly (who replaced him in 3029).
    Remember also that the Explorer Corps was started in the 30th century, and was always public (just not all of it's objectives). Ask yourself this; if the Argo was so amazing, why didn't Comstar's Explorer Corps have more made? Boeing Interstellar is earth based, there's no reason for them not to still have the plans, and it would certainly seem to suit their purposes. I'd take that to mean that there's drawbacks to operating the thing that are the reason why there wasn't more effort made to obtain the derelict.

Holy Shroud II was around 2979 , the same year as the Tripitz Affair.

Tiepolo did seem to be against Holy Shroud style operations. He was against the attack to destroy the Helm memory core that was stored at the NAIS, and the only reason the raid went off is because he was recovering from a heart attack when Waterly forced the vote in the First Circuit.

That being said (spoilers for the Battletech game follow):
    Per a HBS representative in this thread on reddit, nobody's gone for the Argo because it's just not worth the effort and its value in combat is virtually nil.

Nobody on
    edited January 2021
    The whole discussion about Lostech and Comstar reminds me of similar arguments I've seen in Warhammer 40,000 and Star Wars fandoms, where the thinking goes that what has been shown most of the time must always be the case with no exceptions. And it just feels bizarrely limiting for an interstellar setting? It's a very 'no-fun allowed' attitude towards storytelling. And big commercial IPs like these tend to contradict it quite a lot. Would you prefer that HBS' battletech didn't have lostech available because it would conform more closely to your understanding of canon?

Like, Comstar had two campaigns to suppress Star League technology, Operation Holy Shroud which was a wild success, and Holy Shroud II which was not so much. Sarna isn't giving me precise dates for HSII, but it mentions the 'early succession wars' and seems to have started in the early 29th century. It also describes it as having been largely unsuccessful outside of keeping anyone from getting hard evidence of who was behind it.

Sure, they still went after high priority targets in the 31st century, like the Helm memory core. But it doesn't necessarily follow that they were on top of every other batch of mechs or stray dropship. Julian Tiepolo was still Primus during this timeframe, and IIRC he was more of a Machiavellian type, not a crazy control freak like his later successor Myndo Waterly (who replaced him in 3029).

Holy Shroud II was around 2979 , the same year as the Tripitz Affair.

Tiepolo did seem to be against Holy Shroud style operations. He was against the attack to destroy the Helm memory core that was stored at the NAIS, and the only reason the raid went off is because he was recovering from a heart attack when Waterly forced the vote in the First Circuit.

That being said (spoilers for the Battletech game follow):
    Per a HBS representative in this thread on reddit, nobody's gone for the Argo because it's just not worth the effort and its value in combat is virtually nil.

Huh, didn't think to check the timeline pages. The article page for HSII didn't give a date, and I see now that I misread a sentence that was referring to HSI as being a separate thing around the same time HSII began. Woops.

So I got one date wrong, but basically my main points that around the time the game takes place Comstar wasn't attempting to shut down every discovery, and the idea I tossed in the spoiler that maybe the spoiler thing isn't as important as Axen and others seem to think is the stance of the official writers.

Edit: Consider Wolf's Dragoons' Hephaestus Station, which was a far greater asset than the one being talked about in spoilers, and Comstar didn't ever really do much about it. It was fine until Combine agents destroyed it. If the ISF could take it, surely ROM could have.

If anyone feels like the spoiler is inconsistent with established canon about Comstar's efforts to suppress technological recovery, I think they are either giving the spoiler too much credit, or they are giving Comstar's ROM too much credit. The simple answer is that either it really wasn't as big a deal as you think, or Comstar's pool of personnel & budget for this kind of thing wasn't infinite and it just fell through the cracks in an era where the Dragoons are showing up with all kinds of tech they shouldn't have, Hanse Davion's retrieving a Star League library from Halstead station (which was the start of the NAIS), and a mercenary outfit hits the mother lode and finds a memory core on Helm.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Naw I don’t think it’s too far off. I think Comstar took an interest and was monitoring, but discovered a couple of more interesting things and realized the ship wasn’t worth it.

Sorry, that last paragraph wasn't aimed at you Nobody. I meant 'you' in the general sense.

camo_sig2-400.png