As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Convincing the Mrs. of PAX goodness

• Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Soo.... Moe with long hair looks like Hippie Jesus.

Moe with short hair and goatee looks sort of evil.

How a haircut can change a man.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    _______moe wrote: »
    My hair used to be the coolest

105Yeah.jpg

back before I could grow a real beard

I like the hippy look on you Moe! You should bring it back. There ain't no shame. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ditto on the hair love. What made you decide to do the big chop?

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    A combination of things, including, but not limited to difficulty to manage, I was going out for an office job, and my shedding was so bad it broke two vacuum cleaners

I should mention that my hair is so thick that when it was that long, I could stand in front of the shower with water blasting on the back on my head and my neck would stay dry.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I should mention that my hair is so thick that when it was that long, I could stand in front of the shower with water blasting on the back on my head and my neck would stay dry.

*jealous*

I wish my hair didn't suck so much. The length it is now is its maximum and it has no volume. Why do the (tons) of guys who don't want long hair have the capacity and the few that do want it get NOTHING?

Life isn't fair.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited January 2008
    lol =)

EDIT: I tried to think of more I could add... epic fail.

VThornheart on
    edited January 2008

*jealous*

I wish my hair didn't suck so much. The length it is now is its maximum and it has no volume. Why do the (tons) of guys who don't want long hair have the capacity and the few that do want it get NOTHING?

Life isn't fair.

Don't blame me, blame my Sicilian ancestry

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    Women don't exist on the internet. Liger, Cynd3rCyn, KaitouAyashi and I are really all just the same 47 year old guy in Jersey who likes to trick guys into thinking that "gamer girls" are real.

IT'S ALL A LIE. ;P

I don't think I met any of the wonderful female forum persons (WFFP!) last year. I look forward to hanging out with them this year though.

Really? I met almost all the forum girls but Aubrie (But I did see her and wave at one of the concerts!) and Roxy. Were you hiding? Or maybe you accidentally put on cootie repellent? Girls are loaded with cooties.

I may have seen you at the dinner but we did not have a conversation. There was a female or two at the breakfast but I don't remember who they were. I lost a lot of pictures I took during PAX last year due to some user error.

Also, check out my latest post in the Sealab thread. I took your joke and ran with it. I have links to the Seattle aquarium and to where you can buy orange jump suits.

I'm sure my wife will be pleased to know that she isn't very memorable... :P

Well shit. I do remember talking to you after PAX was over on the last day. I asked if you guys had plans to do something. I think there was a female standing there with you.

To be fair there are only a few people that I met at PAX that I can still recall their names and their appearance. They include (but are not limited to), ElectricTurtle, Tonkka, timecruisermike, skwisgar skwigelf, Nikolis and Citrus. At any rate... I apologize for my crappy memory.

aww . . . now you've gone and made me feel guilty for not remembering who you are. though i'm terrible with names . . . i'm sure i'd remember you if a saw you.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
    edited January 2008
    I'm so terrible with names that when I would run into somebody from the forum at PAX, I would have to repeat their handle in my head while I was talking to them so I wouldn't forget later.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm so terrible with names that when I would run into somebody from the forum at PAX, I would have to repeat their handle in my head while I was talking to them so I wouldn't forget later.

Moe, you remember my name right? :P

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

On the Train Trip we just went by our forum handles or made up new nicknames for each other.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    people whose appearance i can still associate with their names are TNTrooper, Maccy, RCcars, Nueroslice(cuz really, who could forget chupathingy), Agustus, Eeletrik, and . . .uh . . . . damn i just forgot the name of that enforcer guy on the train with the southern crunk bbq potato chips. i just had it on the tip of my tongue

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    edited January 2008
    Heh. I took pics with my camera phone and wrote their name and/or forum name in the caption line. It's the only time I have ever used that feature.

KaitouAyashi on
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
    edited January 2008
    Wow that's a good idea. I'm going to have to do that at the dinner.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited January 2008
    I was thinking, if somebody could get their hands on a button maker, we could have buttons made up with our avatars and names on them. That would avoid a lot of confusion.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2008
    I was thinking, if somebody could get their hands on a button maker, we could have buttons made up with our avatars and names on them. That would avoid a lot of confusion.

That'd be awesome =)

Hmm... at work we have this CD burning robotic arm device, that I can program to do just about anything I want (burn content, print CD labels, etc...)... if no one has a button maker, we could go uber-nerd and make badges out of CDs (basically have it go and grab everyone's icon/screenname, and then print them on the front of a blank CD... I imagine there's an easy way to get that info, such as screen scraping from the user profile pages, if I had a set of user profiles that I was looking for).

Could be amusing... if I brought my own CDs and paid for the cartridge(s?) that we'd have to go through for the process. =) Pinning them to a person might be more of a challenge, but I think it'd be funny if we all were at the Pre-PAX dinner wearing CDs on our shirts. =)

VThornheart on
    edited January 2008
    CDs are honestly ungainly, as much as they might demonstrate our geek cred. Standardized name tags with whatever information we want is something that the proposed PAX community alliance could do with its prereg system and funds.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited January 2008
    CDs are honestly ungainly, as much as they might demonstrate our geek cred. Standardized name tags with whatever information we want is something that the proposed PAX community alliance could do with its prereg system and funds.

True =) But in case you guys decide to change your minds, I've got a robot waiting to burn discs at your disposal. ;)

VThornheart on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Weird, I have the completely opposite situation. Previously I went with my wife, who toured around the city with her sisters while I had fun at PAX. I wasn't able to go last year, and this year I'll be going by myself, single and wondering whether or not I'm renting a room by myself or seeing if anybody needs a roommate.

Finding yourself single after 4+ years of marriage, 7+ years of steady relationship is scary. Sounds like immersing myself with like-minded people is just what I need. Hell, maybe I'll find a nice girl.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    edited January 2008
    =( Ah, sorry to hear about that. Not fun. =( Well... hopefully you'll have a good time: and indeed, you never know what may happen!

VThornheart on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Archgarth wrote: »
    Weird, I have the completely opposite situation. Previously I went with my wife, who toured around the city with her sisters while I had fun at PAX. I wasn't able to go last year, and this year I'll be going by myself, single and wondering whether or not I'm renting a room by myself or seeing if anybody needs a roommate.

Finding yourself single after 4+ years of marriage, 7+ years of steady relationship is scary. Sounds like immersing myself with like-minded people is just what I need. Hell, maybe I'll find a nice girl.

First rule of PAX (on the forums anyway)
    PAX Is not a dating service.

:P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited January 2008
    BigRed wrote: »

Ha, no worries there BigRed. :P

DoctorArch on
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    BigRed wrote: »

Ha, no worries there BigRed. :P

I dunno, I seem to remeber the pickup line thread rather well ;P

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Man, all those pickup lines and I didn't hear a single one during PAX! Where were they?? The closest thing I got was "...I like your goggles. Can I touch them?" (I was wearing Quidditch goggles while on duty).

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited January 2008
    Yeah the thread of pickup lines was a lot funnier. Yours... sounds kind of creepy.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Women don't exist on the internet. Liger, Cynd3rCyn, KaitouAyashi and I are really all just the same 47 year old guy in Jersey who likes to trick guys into thinking that "gamer girls" are real.

IT'S ALL A LIE. ;P

I don't think I met any of the wonderful female forum persons (WFFP!) last year. I look forward to hanging out with them this year though.

Really? I met almost all the forum girls but Aubrie (But I did see her and wave at one of the concerts!) and Roxy. Were you hiding? Or maybe you accidentally put on cootie repellent? Girls are loaded with cooties.

Hehee.. I vaguely remember someone poking me and telling me someone waved at me.. I think my head was buried in my DS at the time.. But yes, there are quite a bit of women-folk roaming around PAX... I mean, when the 47 year old man impersonating us takes the time to change his costume. :)

I went with my three guy friends, one of them being my ex, and it was awesome. DS = a must. There's nothing like multiplayer-madness during the wait to get in, plus you make lots of friends by just asking "Who wants to play (insert game)?" Also, there was Kill Dr. Lucky last year, which was AWESOME. I started every day with a few rounds of that and I was good to go.

There's tons of people running around who like all kinds of games, and between console freeplay and tabletop freeplay, there's lots of things to do. I think my group played Ninja Burger and... something to do with Zombies, but I forget. Someone did laugh at me once because my two games of the moment were WoW and Tetris, but it was all in good fun.

I'm glad your wife has agreed to go! The forum girls (and guys) are all super nice, and most of the girls I have met are involved or are becoming involved in the Cookie Brigade. A nice thing to do is to go out the night before PAX. Last year, I think the forumers went to Gameworks, so it was really fun to play games/chat/drink/etc. with people who would eventually become familiar faces.

Now, to convince the boyfriend to attend PAX'08, and to figure out where the heck I'll be living so I can book a plane ticket/start my CCST-capades. /sigh.

SergeantAuberie on
  • BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Convince the boyfriend??? What utter madness is this? I can see some work in possibly convincing ones female companion of the merits of pax and their not being the only one there lacking a y chromosome. But if you have to even consider the idea of motivating your bf to the holiest of gaming events, you might need to reconsider throwing that fish back.

: P

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    edited January 2008
    Bambooza wrote: »
    Convince the boyfriend??? What utter madness is this? I can see some work in possibly convincing ones female companion of the merits of pax and their not being the only one there lacking a y chromosome. But if you have to even consider the idea of motivating your bf to the holiest of gaming events, you might need to reconsider throwing that fish back.

Maybe he's just "special" ;-)

DoctorArch on
    edited January 2008

Or a xenophobe. =P

Also, some of the forumers met up at Shorty's rather than Gameworks. Old school arcade and pinball plus food and booze! Goood Times.

KaitouAyashi on
  • BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I so could go for a business luncheon (i.e. don’t have to pay for it) with some good greasy food and beer.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Or a xenophobe. =P

Also, some of the forumers met up at Shorty's rather than Gameworks. Old school arcade and pinball plus food and booze! Goood Times.

Lawl..

Hopefully it won't be a problem. Our love of gaming brought us together, so to speak. I'm just not sure how he feels about large crowds. :)

SergeantAuberie on
    edited January 2008

Or a xenophobe. =P

Lawl..

Hopefully it won't be a problem. Our love of gaming brought us together, so to speak. I'm just not sure how he feels about large crowds. :)

I work in a Pharmacy, and I know we have legal drugs that we can give him for that problem. Make some truly "magic brownies." Xanax enhanced.

DoctorArch on
  • DrakkenDrakken Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    To the OP:

Everyone here has made a lot of good points already. But here is my experience...

Last year was my first PAX adventure -- to say it was gaming nirvana doesn't quite do it justice. My girlfriend didn't have nearly the same opinion. She is a casual gamer and decided to come with me on the trip. She has her own DS and even picked up a few games before we left Milwaukee (she was trying to be prepared); but I don't think anything could have prepared her from how hardcore myself, and many others at PAX, were when it comes to gaming. Besides being overwhelmed by the overall "geek factor" of the event, she didn't understand many of the topics that the panels covered, most of the references in the keynote went over her head, and after operating on 3 hours (or less) of sleep for several days in a row she was in a downright foul mood.

Because of all this, she didn't really want to go this year when I brought it up to her. So, as a compromise, I suggested that we could head out to Seattle a couple of days early so she could do some shopping in the city and we see some of the sights together. Basically, I said that the first 3 days of the trip would be hers, and the last 3 would be mine. She agreed to this and seems at least cautiously excited about the trip.

I suppose that if you live in Seattle this wouldn't be such a great deal, but my point remains valid: if she isn't going to be that into the whole gaming "scene" try to compromise so that there is something for her on the trip also. Make her see some value by doing something that SHE wants to do along with what YOU want to do. That way you BOTH have something to look forward to, and you will both expose each other to new things (that you might enjoy)!

Hope that helps!

Drakken on
    edited January 2008
    Actually, he already managed to convince her, and I believe they're doing something very similar to what you suggested as they will be getting into Seattle early to poke around and sightsee.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• DrakkenDrakken Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Actually, he already managed to convince her, and I believe they're doing something very similar to what you suggested as they will be getting into Seattle early to poke around and sightsee.

I guess I should read the whole thread next time, eh? :lol:

Oh well, maybe my story will help someone else in the same predicament.

Drakken on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm psyched about this year... I haven't gone since the first year, because I was utterly unable to convince my wife (who wasn't my wife that first year... I went with my roommates) that it was worth going to. She's always been into gaming, but I guess she was afraid that she wasn't "hardcore" enough to go to something like PAX.

Anyways, she's on the fence of finally being willing to give it a try. I imagine since PAX was awesome even at the small convention center the first year, it must be exceptional now that they're in the bigger center.

She's still sitting on the fence though... and I'd like to get us pre-registered if possible, so I need to convince her within the next month or two.

Is there anyone else who has experienced a similar situation? Were you able to convince your better half, and what points did you bring up?

I think for my wife, her biggest fears are that (A) she'll be one of the only women there (which I couldn't honestly defend against... the first year had an exceptionally low girl-to-guy ratio, and I don't know if that's changed much) and (B) Her kind of gaming won't be well represented (She's into things like the Sims, and I can't promise her there'd be any gaming or interesting discussions about things like that around... but also games like World of Warcraft, which I try to tell her that the PA group is into in general). She also isn't a big fan of being around people she doesn't know, which in general I am trying to help her overcome (as it causes her to not want to do many social things at all).

I think she'd have fun playing in (some of, though she might not do very well) the tournaments and seeing the shows and presentations (particularly the music)... but she needs a little nudge in the "give it a try" direction. ;)

Anyways, any advice on the situation? Hopefully I'll see you guys at PAX!

I was coming to this forum to say the exact same thing. We'll need to meet up while I'm there. My wife has basically the same concerns, and I bet they could get along, or at least complain about their husbands together.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited January 2008
    jonxp wrote: »
    I'm psyched about this year... I haven't gone since the first year, because I was utterly unable to convince my wife (who wasn't my wife that first year... I went with my roommates) that it was worth going to. She's always been into gaming, but I guess she was afraid that she wasn't "hardcore" enough to go to something like PAX.

Anyways, she's on the fence of finally being willing to give it a try. I imagine since PAX was awesome even at the small convention center the first year, it must be exceptional now that they're in the bigger center.

She's still sitting on the fence though... and I'd like to get us pre-registered if possible, so I need to convince her within the next month or two.

Is there anyone else who has experienced a similar situation? Were you able to convince your better half, and what points did you bring up?

I think for my wife, her biggest fears are that (A) she'll be one of the only women there (which I couldn't honestly defend against... the first year had an exceptionally low girl-to-guy ratio, and I don't know if that's changed much) and (B) Her kind of gaming won't be well represented (She's into things like the Sims, and I can't promise her there'd be any gaming or interesting discussions about things like that around... but also games like World of Warcraft, which I try to tell her that the PA group is into in general). She also isn't a big fan of being around people she doesn't know, which in general I am trying to help her overcome (as it causes her to not want to do many social things at all).

I think she'd have fun playing in (some of, though she might not do very well) the tournaments and seeing the shows and presentations (particularly the music)... but she needs a little nudge in the "give it a try" direction. ;)

Anyways, any advice on the situation? Hopefully I'll see you guys at PAX!

I was coming to this forum to say the exact same thing. We'll need to meet up while I'm there. My wife has basically the same concerns, and I bet they could get along, or at least complain about their husbands together.

Awesome! I think. ;) Definitely we'll have to have some PAX hanging out. It'll be good. =)

VThornheart on
    edited February 2008
    I swear it's not nearly as harrowing or scary as she thinks it might be. Well, if she's terribly shy or an introvert maybe it will be. But if she's the type to find it easy to strike up conversations with strangers, she'll be totally fine. Otherwise - why don't you invite them to the forums so they can get acclimated, so to speak?

Also, not reading the entire thread = FAIL. ;P

KaitouAyashi on
    edited February 2008
    I'm terribly shy and introverted . . . . doesn't seem to affect me at pax though

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
  • KyoutekiKyouteki Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I brought my girlfriend (now my wife) last year, and I daresay she is becoming more and more into games as the year wears on. I think she enjoyed PAX almost as much as I did.

Kyouteki on
This discussion has been closed.