As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek: Lower Decks trailer is out. SPOILERS in effect!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    our nose shape is probably to help with our sinuses, which are the worst sinuses in the animal kingdom

Nehh, our sinuses are just to readily available all over the world so ofcourse bacteria etc got good at attacking them.

It really doesn't help that, according to something I was recently informed of, city design and landscaping almost exclusively use male trees over female trees because rain and wind get rid of pollen but seeds can be slightly inconvenient underfoot and might even need (gasp!) sweeping.

So we've basically sabotaged ourselves with assloads of sinus-ruining clouds of tree sperm because people are a little bit whiney about stepping on seeds.

It's more that seed pods cost money to clean up, so you go with the trees without seed pods. And nobody involved thought about or probably even knew about issues with pollen.

Ah ha! Except there is a plentiful variety of pretty trees which don't produce seeds unless pollinated! So if they had just gone with all female trees in the first place, we wouldn't have seeds for cleanup or hideous sinus-ruining pollen everywhere! And now nobody wants to commit to changing any of it, so they just keeping dumping money into the mistake instead of transitioning to the idea that isn't misery for all those poor allergy sufferers.

And we've been doing this shit for like... two hundred years now, so it's even more dumb.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Latest Discovery episode:
    Sooo... The Burn was caused by a lone stranded Kelpian hooked up to a massive holodeck who was going crazy from loneliness? Also sub-space-something-something. Whuuuuut?
    Also Discovery got boarded and hijacked, I wonder how they're going to get out of that one.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Sooo... The Burn was caused by a lone stranded Kelpian hooked up to a massive holodeck who was going crazy from loneliness? Also sub-space-something-something. Whuuuuut?
    Also Discovery got boarded and hijacked, I wonder how they're going to get out of that one.

How else but Burnham?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »

How else but Burnham?

"Flash" Burnham, Savior of the Universe! She'll save every one of us, weep for every one of us...

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Chris Doohan revealed his secret.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ashes-of-star-treks-scotty-smuggled-on-to-international-space-station-6lpgs05n6

And who smuggled the ashes onto the ISS?

Fuckin' Richard "Lord British" Garriott.

What a solid gold champion. This has tickled me pink.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Heh. That is the second-best Lord British-related news I could have imagined.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    That is a good secret

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    A fan did a Deep Fake of TNG-era Data onto Bret Spiner in Picard, it looks pretty good!
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/news/data-deepfake-picard/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqyDAoIq7po

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    I think, what got to me about Picard S1 is a lot of times I felt like Patrick Stewart was playing himself more than he was playing Picard. I mean, I still enjoyed it, but hey.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    I think, what got to me about Picard S1 is a lot of times I felt like Patrick Stewart was playing himself more than he was playing Picard. I mean, I still enjoyed it, but hey.

I think what happened with Picard(the character) between Insurrection and Picard(the show) should be a case study in why you shouldn't let the actor write the character.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

I think what happened with Picard(the character) between Insurrection and Picard(the show) should be a case study in why you shouldn't let the actor write the character.

AFAIK Stewart has been constantly pushing for Picard to do more action-hero-type shit.

Like, Nemesis has the dune-buggy sequence because Stewart wanted to do that.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I was pretty done with disco season 3 and skipped a bit over some episodes but I have to say from Terra Firma onward it's actually a lot more enjoyable. The cast gets to do stuff, Burnham is more focused and intense instead of melodramatic. Stamets emotional bit in episode 12 actually hits.

The worst bit of those later episodes is probably everyone fawning over Philippa. That's still not earned.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    When I was younger (maybe around the 90s or early 2000s), I remember that a popular way to 'dis' Star Trek was to point out that it doesn't make sense for so many separate species to have evolved as bipedal with only two arms, seeing as how much diversity we see in nature - with the obvious answer being that of course Star Trek producers would like to get more exotic aliens but it's much harder to do on a budget if you're not an animated show.

But now that I know that crabs have evolved independently on earth five different times, I am ready to call the 90s out for probably being wrong about whether all intelligent aliens will look somewhat alike or not!
    star trek is still wrong

all the aliens should look like crabs

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    When I was younger (maybe around the 90s or early 2000s), I remember that a popular way to 'dis' Star Trek was to point out that it doesn't make sense for so many separate species to have evolved as bipedal with only two arms, seeing as how much diversity we see in nature - with the obvious answer being that of course Star Trek producers would like to get more exotic aliens but it's much harder to do on a budget if you're not an animated show.

But now that I know that crabs have evolved independently on earth five different times, I am ready to call the 90s out for probably being wrong about whether all intelligent aliens will look somewhat alike or not!
    star trek is still wrong

According to TNG huminoids are closer to intelligent design, which might be the only reason they aren't crabby.

• Options
    wandering wrote: »

star trek is still wrong

According to TNG huminoids are closer to intelligent design, which might be the only reason they aren't crabby.

And yet the pinnacle of evolution is a salamander apparently

• Options
    image0.jpg

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I do wonder if a bunch of the Trek writers are part of some weird-ass cult or something, because their concept of evolution is pretty damn disturbing sometimes.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »
    I do wonder if a bunch of the Trek writers are part of some weird-ass cult or something, because their concept of evolution is pretty damn disturbing sometimes.

Nah, assuming evolution has a predetermined path is a common misconception, a side effect of our wanting to establish order on a random meaningless universe.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

Nah, assuming evolution has a predetermined path is a common misconception, a side effect of our wanting to establish order on a random meaningless universe.

That and evolution having "levels" or "stages".

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

That and evolution having "levels" or "stages".

That much is true though. The two stages being 'Crab' and 'Not-Crab'. There is some debate on the subject since Changelings are able to exist in both stages, but the general consensus is that since the Great Link is a not actually a giant crab pile that Changelings should be categorized as 'Not-Crab'.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Changelings are just genocidal because they found some crab people once and got jealous.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    TV writers in general usually have a pretty bad understanding of... well... anything.

See: NCIS two people on one keyboard to counter hack faster...

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    A fan did a Deep Fake of TNG-era Data onto Bret Spiner in Picard, it looks pretty good!
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/news/data-deepfake-picard/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqyDAoIq7po

Surprised more studios don't use this, especially for short shots like this. Just needs a bit of touching up where Brent's jowls are poking out and match the lighting better... and for god sake, do something about those Rick and Morty pupils...

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Star Trek Disco concept art for the weird and wacky ships. The USS Nog is an Eisenberg class ship. :)

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    TV writers in general usually have a pretty bad understanding of... well... anything.

I disagree, they know exactly what they are doing, and wrote this dialogue going 'heh this will really piss some people off' like its a easter egg:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    The good ol Nog. Richest ship in the fleet.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    USS Nog hell yes.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

I can't even remember where I heard this, but apparently the writers for NCIS had a sort of internal, ongoing competition to see who could come up with the dumbest computer-related stuff that the directors wouldn't object to. They knew it was stupid, and did it deliberately on the assumption that people would realize they knew it was stupid.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Star Trek Disco concept art for the weird and wacky ships. The USS Nog is an Eisenberg class ship. :)

The Angelou-class is literally just a Culture GSV, except donut instead of lozenge-shaped

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    USS Nog hell yes.

When the control panels explode, it's just sprays of the finest Romulan ale because every empty out-the-way space on the ship is somehow packed with cases of the stuff. And it's the real thing too, as the ship is home to a fully sapient AI whose sole purpose is making sure the ship is 100% stocked with ale at all times.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    USS Nog hell yes.

When the control panels explode, it's just sprays of the finest Romulan ale because every empty out-the-way space on the ship is somehow packed with cases of the stuff. And it's the real thing too, as the ship is home to a fully sapient AI whose sole purpose is making sure the ship is 100% stocked with ale at all times.

The control panels don't ever explode on the USS Nog.

Why?
    They're assembled with self-sealing stem bolts, finest quality!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    USS Nog hell yes.

The control panels don't ever explode on the USS Nog.

Why?
    They're assembled with self-sealing stem bolts, finest quality!

Probably the same crate of stem bolts, too.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Why do so many of these ships look like they were extruded by an Apple replicator?

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Because currently sci-fi stuff is either grungy and dark or looks like an iPod.

Latest episode:
    I don't think that is how deep diving works, Owo.

A look at the Turbolift system, nice. Wait. How large is Discovery supposed to be? That's some huge caverns.

And that's why detached nacelles are dumb

"Beam all regulators off the ship", ugh that seems like mass murder, Burnham. Hmm they're inside another ship so maybe not.

honovere on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Because currently sci-fi stuff is either grungy and dark or looks like an iPod.

Latest episode:
    I don't think that is how deep diving works, Owo.
    A look at the Turbolift system, nice. Wait. How large is Discovery supposed to be? That's some huge caverns.

Current Scifi is either WALL-E or EVE

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    And that was 12 years ago...

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Ep 13
    couldn't they have jumped without the warp core gamble?

Also, like, Netflix, it would be a good idea not to spoil parts of the episode in the preview image while the episode loads

Is Vance like the most reasonable admiral in Star Trek history?
    Next season:
    so, Saru is out?
    New uniforms! A bit too much military grey for my taste
    Burnham as captain might actually work better than pretending that everybody doesn't do whatever Burnham deems right anyway.

honovere on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    So that was the best season of Disco ever(not saying that much) and that was a great season ending.

Still needs work, but "Lets Fly" is a good catchphrase. Its no Engage or Make it so, but it works for Disco.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    It got way better as soon as other characters got more focus. It's pretty much movie action star trek instead of TV star trek and that isn't what some people are looking for but if it continues like the last few episodes than season 4 might be good?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I didn't like Brewery-prise and I didn't like the internals here but eh, it's a small thing
    still, fine with the rest and agreed that going forward looks like it might work fairly well. I also had a suspicion that this was why there was a rubberless Doug Jones, give him a last hurrah as a recurring character with his actual face, I'm sure he'll make an appearance later though

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
This discussion has been closed.