As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Streaming Services] Cable Television for the Internet Age

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    They didn't cancel Farscape because of SG-1, they had plenty of money they spent on other things, hell that very year they started Battlestar Galactica I think.

There just must have been some dumb people involved in the channel's leadership, given the name change to SyFy later they probably only became more and more influential, and as a huge Farscape fan I'm just thankful we got the good SciFi shows we did.

What has that channel produced in like the last decade? Nothing but truly terrible original movies, of which only Sharknado even achieved so-bad-it's-memetic status?

The Expanse! Which they then canceled. Turned out fine though cuz now Daddy Bezos is throwing his money behind it and the planet side production definitely improved.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »
    I have to admit I almost started watching Stargate SG-1on Netflix a few weeks ago since I never watched it back when it originally aired aside from a few minutes. But we've been slowly going through MacGyver and I kind of like the idea of Richard Dean Anderson playing a role originally played by Kurt Russell in the movie.

But we opted to start watching season 4 of Deep Space 9 instead.

I feel it should be stated that Richard Dean Anderson absolutely does not play the same role as Kurt Russell despite all appearances to the contrary. The series is extremely different from the movie with O'Neill being a major part of what separates it. Personally, I like this as I could not stand the movie. Your feelings might be very different though.

Yeah, the difference is quite stark imo. Really the whole tone of SG1 vs the movie. But O'Neill for sure since in the movie he's a guy half way to killing himself who is more then happy to go on a suicide mission.

But watching DS9 S4 is the better choice anyway. :P

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    They didn't cancel Farscape because of SG-1, they had plenty of money they spent on other things, hell that very year they started Battlestar Galactica I think.

There just must have been some dumb people involved in the channel's leadership, given the name change to SyFy later they probably only became more and more influential, and as a huge Farscape fan I'm just thankful we got the good SciFi shows we did.

What has that channel produced in like the last decade? Nothing but truly terrible original movies, of which only Sharknado even achieved so-bad-it's-memetic status?

The Expanse! Which they then canceled. Turned out fine though cuz now Daddy Bezos is throwing his money behind it and the planet side production definitely improved.

Huh, OK I thought the Expanse was an Amazon series from the start, but fair enough that's another good series they created... and inexplicably cancelled..?

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

And Dark Matter!

Which they cancelled.

steam_sig.png
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

And Dark Matter!

Which they cancelled.

And Continuum.

Also cancelled.

Oh yeah. Though in fairness, I felt continuum probably deserved it. I liked it early on but in the second or 3rd season it really took a dive.

steam_sig.png
    edited January 2021
    Did SyFy do The Magicians? I think I heard good things about it and I think it got a full run, but I don't think I've seen it.

Edit: Also Caprica, which got canceled.

emp123 on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Did SyFy do The Magicians? I think I heard good things about it and I think it got a full run, but I don't think I've seen it.

They did. I loved it, despite it being absolutely whacky and deviating from the source material a lot.

Although they ended it a season too early, unfortunately.

Nothing. Matters.
    Yeah I forgot about the magicians. That's a good one too.

steam_sig.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2021

I remember Caprica having some beautiful music and also being real dumb. "I think my dead daughter's consciousness might be in this robot, so I'm going to have the robot do a bunch of stuff she'd hate because if the robot doesn't do them, then she's in there."

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png

I remember Caprica having some beautiful music and also being real dumb. "I think my dead daughter's consciousness might be in this robot, so I'm going to have the robot do a bunch of stuff she'd hate because if the robot doesn't do them, then she's in there."

Yeah I think it's another show I didn't see or maybe I caught a couple of episodes right as it was getting canceled. There may have been an upswing in quality towards the end?

Just kind of funny that a spinoff of their largest property at the time crashed and burned so quickly.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Oh hey! Sg1 has full frontal nudity in the pilot!

I never knew that

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I never knew that

Didn't it start out on Showtime or something?

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I never knew that

It did indeed! Forgot about that last time I went to watch it with people and the first season was full of rando pay cable tits.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

I never knew that

Looks like it yeah just looked it up after the surprise. I never knew that. My family used to watch it on like upn or fox or whatever network started carrying it at some point maybe after sci-fi took ove

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

I never knew that

Looks like it yeah just looked it up after the surprise. I never knew that. My family used to watch it on like upn or fox or whatever network started carrying it at some point maybe after sci-fi took ove

Yep and Showtime canceling Sg1 and forcing Sy-Fy to shoulder the burden of paying for all it. That is what created the whole SG1 vs Farscape cancellation deal. Sy-Fy isn't a very big channel and they don't have Netflix/Prime money to throw around. They mostly show re-runs of old sci-fi movies and series(and Wrestling for some reason), interspersed with Mockbuster movies and a few original show. It makes Sy-Fy kind of weird in that Budget, not ratings can cancel a show. Dark Matter and Killjoys was another example. Both did well in ratings, but Killjoys was marginally cheaper. So it got the full series, while Dark Matter got the can.

The Expanse was a show created by a third party that Sy-Fy simply aired in first run syndication. The creators made most of their money selling it to Netflix overseas at first. Sy-Fy had none of the syndication or merchandising rights.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    a

Yeah I think it's another show I didn't see or maybe I caught a couple of episodes right as it was getting canceled. There may have been an upswing in quality towards the end?

Just kind of funny that a spinoff of their largest property at the time crashed and burned so quickly.

There were really three problems with Caprica:
    1) It just wasn't very good. If BSG never existed it wouldn't have been an even decent show on its own.
    2) People wanted more BSG and Caprica tried to be it but in the wrong ways. It had all of the Lost-esque "It's a MYYSTERYYYY" twists and cliffhangers but with all the cool space scene, robot fights, and compelling performances replaced by teen angst.
    3) The show-runners seemed to actively and continually avoid doing things that would please BSG fans. The show only lasted one season but I think they went back and forth 3 times on whether the kid Adama in it was meant to grow up to be Commander Adama from BSG.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

And Dark Matter!

Which they cancelled.

And Continuum.

Also cancelled.

Continum at least got some kind of end

Dark Matter...that one still makes me mad

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    All this SG-1 talk, had to go look and see where I left off. Looks like I got through season 5 back when it aired. I have some really fond memories of watching the first couple seasons when I was young.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The series falls apart for me about the time they start to try shoehorning in Atlantis stuff, then really goes off the rails (sometimes in amusing ways) for the last couple of seasons.

And about the only good thing I can say about Atlantis is at least it was trying to be as entertaining as SG-1 instead of being the grimdark, boring, BSG-wannabe Universe. But Atlantis still gets zero interest from me, mostly because of how blatantly they tried to (badly) copy-and-paste the original team into a new setting.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I rather liked Richard Dean Anderson. He brought an energy to the show that some of the later folks when I watched commercials or clips didn't seem to have.

I too was surprised at the lack of good video game tie ins. X-Com would work, but also sort of a Myst puzzle/detective style could. The basic concept of "we found a Stargate, let's explore" leads to unlimited possibilities.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    a

1) It just wasn't very good. If BSG never existed it wouldn't have been an even decent show on its own.
    2) People wanted more BSG and Caprica tried to be it but in the wrong ways. It had all of the Lost-esque "It's a MYYSTERYYYY" twists and cliffhangers but with all the cool space scene, robot fights, and compelling performances replaced by teen angst.
    3) The show-runners seemed to actively and continually avoid doing things that would please BSG fans. The show only lasted one season but I think they went back and forth 3 times on whether the kid Adama in it was meant to grow up to be Commander Adama from BSG.

See and I actually liked Caprica while thought far too much of BSG felt like a giant waste of time.

a

See and I actually liked Caprica while thought far too much of BSG felt like a giant waste of time.

There were certainly gulfs of worthless time in BSG. The entire "Fat Apollo" arc, for example. The first season or two (I don't really remember the show well enough to say at this point) felt like it was telling a reasonably tight story, though. Until they got to the point where they were obviously just pulling filler out of their asses with whatever absurd twist they could shoe-horn in because they'd written themselves into a hundred concurrent corners, BSG at least seemed like it knew where it was going and that the secrets they hinted around would eventually have satisfying resolutions.

Caprica's first season, on the other hand, felt about as deftly plotted as BSG's last season.

I dunno. Maybe if I hadn't had the let down of the BSG's big reveals and ending I'd have enjoyed Caprica more. As it was, I knew none of the mysteries were going to really go anywhere even if the show got to run for as long as it felt like and I recall being frustrated by how much the timeline didn't seem to mesh with BSG's.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    a

There were certainly gulfs of worthless time in BSG. The entire "Fat Apollo" arc, for example. The first season or two (I don't really remember the show well enough to say at this point) felt like it was telling a reasonably tight story, though. Until they got to the point where they were obviously just pulling filler out of their asses with whatever absurd twist they could shoe-horn in because they'd written themselves into a hundred concurrent corners, BSG at least seemed like it knew where it was going and that the secrets they hinted around would eventually have satisfying resolutions.

Caprica's first season, on the other hand, felt about as deftly plotted as BSG's last season.

I dunno. Maybe if I hadn't had the let down of the BSG's big reveals and ending I'd have enjoyed Caprica more. As it was, I knew none of the mysteries were going to really go anywhere even if the show got to run for as long as it felt like and I recall being frustrated by how much the timeline didn't seem to mesh with BSG's.

BSG's problem imo was always that they refused to make a decision on what X or Y unknown actually was and commit to it. The whole fucking Final Five dumbshit from the final season was like pulled from RDM's ass in the shower one day toward the end of S3. The entirety of S3's arc was apparently changed multiple times. The whole thing was a mess from that perspective.

And yet even at the end they could make really compelling television. They never lost that spark. They just had no ability to stick with a plan and not contradict themselves.

The 2 seasons, minus some drag in a few episodes of S2, is really compelling. And even some of the start of S3. But once they start really getting into what the Cylons are up to it all starts falling apart fast because it's clear they've got no plan and no real desire to start creating and sticking to one either. And you have to at least do the second thing.

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular

I never knew that

I played that episode not knowing that to test my new soundbar on Christmas. Sorry mother in law!

steam_sig.png
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    a

BSG's problem imo was always that they refused to make a decision on what X or Y unknown actually was and commit to it. The whole fucking Final Five dumbshit from the final season was like pulled from RDM's ass in the shower one day toward the end of S3. The entirety of S3's arc was apparently changed multiple times. The whole thing was a mess from that perspective.

And yet even at the end they could make really compelling television. They never lost that spark. They just had no ability to stick with a plan and not contradict themselves.

The 2 seasons, minus some drag in a few episodes of S2, is really compelling. And even some of the start of S3. But once they start really getting into what the Cylons are up to it all starts falling apart fast because it's clear they've got no plan and no real desire to start creating and sticking to one either. And you have to at least do the second thing.

There was the little issue of the writers strike during that last season.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    History of Swear Words is ok so far, but every episode is elevated by Nicholas Cage's monologue at the beginning.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    My favorite thing about early SG-1 was that they actually tried to incorporate the whole language aspect from the movie. Every other sci-fi anything that I can think of, either everyone can immediately understand everyone else (because they all speak English, because they have magic-tech translators, or because everyone is a polyglot) or the fact that there is a language barrier is the whole point.

Of course they abandoned it pretty quickly because making a language barrier exist and not be the whole point gets as tiresome on TV as it would in reality, but I really appreciated them giving it a shot.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I rather liked Richard Dean Anderson. He brought an energy to the show that some of the later folks when I watched commercials or clips didn't seem to have.

I too was surprised at the lack of good video game tie ins. X-Com would work, but also sort of a Myst puzzle/detective style could. The basic concept of "we found a Stargate, let's explore" leads to unlimited possibilities.

I loved RDA - in fact, the entire team were great, and had wonderful chemistry.

I wouldn’t mind a reboot, or a new series following on from the old, with RDA as the grizzled commander in charge of the project.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »

I loved RDA - in fact, the entire team were great, and had wonderful chemistry.

I wouldn’t mind a reboot, or a new series following on from the old, with RDA as the grizzled commander in charge of the project.

I'd prefer for them to keep on with the setting. The post-System Lord galaxy was still a pretty rough and tumble place, and one of the nice things about SG-1 was the continued development of Earth's technology as the series went on. It'd be more interesting to do something with that then to just having new characters acting like old characters rehashing the core conflicts of the original series.

SG:U: I liked that they went whole hog on what Destiny's mission was. Straight up search for God type stuff. Might have failed miserably, but it was a damn bold choice. Main thing I thought that killed the show was that it just had too damn many characters, and nearly everyone was so freaking angsty. And not 'we're stuck on a crapsack starship a bajillion light years from Earth' angsty. Freaking daddy issues and personality disorder angsty. I'm not asking for them to be SG-1 levels of excellent, just maybe pull their shit together a tiny bit.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I was definitely sure the janitor was going to do something awful and was pleasantly surprised when that didn't happen.

Similar for me but I think that is just the prevalence of horrible drama happening in "prestige" TV poisoning our minds to expect something like that.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Second season of Staged had more star cameos but wasn't as good. A bit self-indulgent and the meta stuff got in the way of what made the first one good.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Continuum should've ended earlier.
    Dark Matter really really needed one more season.
    Farscape needed one more season.
    Killjoys was fine.
    Magicians probably should've ended the second last season and didn't really need the final season.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    I really liked Stargate Universe, and was sad that it only got one season.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    southwick wrote: »
    I really liked Stargate Universe, and was sad that it only got one season.

By the end it had finally settled down and become interesting. Good ending though

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    The best Sci-fi show was clearly Lexx

Local H Jay on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Best? Eh....

Horniest? Absolutely

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

if you ever wanted to see Malcolm McDowell get bukaked back to life, Lexx will provide.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    For 12 y/o me that was what defined best

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    The only character I remember from Universe was a character I nicknamed(on this very board) Chesty McGee. They introduced her banging the main Soldier character in a broom closet. In the next episode he was pining for female lead character in order to set up a love triangle with the Main Scientist Hero.

The reason I named her Chesty McGee? Well the actress was well endowed in the chest region, Like so big it had to be something natural because they don't make silicone that big. Something the show took advantage of by framing a shot of her talking to Scientist hero, focused so that only her chest, not her face or the rest of her body was in the foreground of the shot. Like her chest took up half the screen, I kid you not! She was also forced to recite awful dialog about how a male guest character was hot because he was a widower and that showed his commitment to relationships without that pesky divorce.

She is legendarily the worst written female character I have ever seen on-screen. Like bar none. There have been characters I didn't like, the have been characters that where badly acted, but she is still the number one in my book and it was not her fault. She didn't write the dialogue or focus the camera. She deserved better from the Stargate franchise. That is also why I don't tell you her characters name or the actress real name, some old shames deserves to be forgotten.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
This discussion has been closed.