As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Pandemic in a Pandemic

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Got my first two plays of Aeons End in yesterday. Ragebourne kicked my ass both times. 10/10.

Also gave the 7 Wonders Duel official PnP solo mode a spin. Lost to Bilkis by 10 points. Definitely going to have to adjust my strategy to each individual opponent.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I love Aeon's End so far; my wife and I are about halfway (?) through the Legacy game, which apparently ends with having some characters ready to bring into the real game.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, should mention:

If you are interested in Ultimate Werewolf: Legacy, my local Barnes & Noble had it on clearance for $12, which I assume is company wide. That's a frankly insane price, which is lower than a standard edition of Ultimate Werewolf. Hell, I think it's cheaper than Bezier games is selling the refill pack / diary if you ever decide to run this twice.

... which now that I think about it... Maybe that would be fun, running it for the forums...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I'm trying to think of how a slay the spire boardgame would work and i think my starting point is something akin to thunderstone quest?

which is a game i really love so you know if they can put their twist on those bones I'd be in

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    The legacy characters are technically useable outside of the campaign, but kinda weirdly balanced and I've never actually used them
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I love Aeon's End so far; my wife and I are about halfway (?) through the Legacy game, which apparently ends with having some characters ready to bring into the real game.

the mages from legacy have some issues outside the campaign, but they do technically still work :)

walmart has War Eternal for $29 atm, if youre wanting a standalone non legacy one. imo War Eternal is the single best standalone box.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aeons-End-War-Eternal/818539060

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    yeah but then you have to give money to walmart

bleah

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Clank...Dune Imperium...I think I just need more Deckbuilders With Boards in my life.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    I like trains a lot as long as you have the expansions. I've always heard Tyrants of the Underdark is great but I haven't had a chance to try it.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I got Excavation Earth in the mail yesterday from the kickstarter. It looks fun, should I ever actually get to play it... mostly, though, I want to complain about kickstarter campaigns where the game comes with one or more expansions and they don't all fit in the box. When they're big expansions that are basically a game's worth of stuff in themselves, fine. If they've got a bunch of miniatures in some sort of tray deal, okay, that makes sense. But, for example, Excavation Earth had an expansion with a couple of new player boards, an add-on board, and a few chits but there's no way to get it into the base box. Hell, the sack of metal coins and kickstarter-exclusive novelty replacement chits barely fit into the box.

Also, on the topic of boxes: I wish more games came with some kind of layout diagram for how the designers envisioned people storing stuff in the included trays. Sometimes it's obvious but when there are ten kinds of chits and five kinds of meeples and just some anonymous holes a picture would be of great help.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    Step 1) throw away the insert immediately

Ah_Pook wrote: »

preach

Most published games, yeah, but I assume in the case of kickstarters (well, the ones that are actually indie game designers and not companies using KS as a stand-in for pre-orders) the designer has actually put thought and effort into crafting an insert that helps with setup and tear-down. Hell, the Excavation Earth insert was a stretch goal.

The number of games where the insert it comes with isn't trash is very low, but Lords of Waterdeep and Small World have shown me it's possible for even a major publisher to give me something that's better than sticking a plano in the box.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Among other good qualities, Mechs and Minions stores nicely. Each of the three sculpts for the minions fits snugly in any of the slots. It's beautiful.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    I like trains a lot as long as you have the expansions. I've always heard Tyrants of the Underdark is great but I haven't had a chance to try it.

Tyrants is so bland visually that I walked right past it without a second thought the first time I saw a demo at a con, but it's actually really good.

The number of games where the insert it comes with isn't trash is very low, but Lords of Waterdeep and Small World have shown me it's possible for even a major publisher to give me something that's better than sticking a plano in the box.

Realizing that the LOW insert is much worse than a generic insert is the first step on the path. It seems nice and fancy, like all fancy inserts do, but then it's actually slower and infinitely more annoying trying to get everything back into it's little bespoke hole than it would be with generic insert holes. And once the things are in their little holes they go all over the place when you even look at the box, completely negating whatever use the insert might have had!

You have much to learn grasshopper ;)

Realizing that the LOW insert is much worse than a generic insert is the first step on the path. It seems nice and fancy, like all fancy inserts do, but then it's actually slower and infinitely more annoying trying to get everything back into it's little bespoke hole than it would be with generic insert holes. And once the things are in their little holes they go all over the place when you even look at the box, completely negating whatever use the insert might have had!

I've never had a problem with it... easy to put stuff in, obvious what goes where, always has stayed in place for me. I've admittedly never tried carrying it around in a bag or shaking the box or anything, though.

The true answer for LOW is to get the expansion and put everything in the much smaller and more structurally sound expansion box. Takes up half the space, and the expansion is great.

• tyrantula22tyrantula22 Registered User regular

I've never had a problem with it... easy to put stuff in, obvious what goes where, always has stayed in place for me. I've admittedly never tried carrying it around in a bag or shaking the box or anything, though.

Yeah, I keep LOW vertical on my shelf and stuff stays in place just fine using the original insert. Haven't had issues getting stuff in/out either.

Battletag: Tyrantula22#1623
    Steam ID

How many are there? The game is seemingly obscure online.

edited January 2021
    There's a standalone expansion called Rising Sun which is the real important one, as the base game has some balance issues (mainly if certain cards are in the market you can just ignore the board altogether and win). It also adds 2p specific maps and some other nice stuff. Then there's a non standalone expansion called Coastal Tides which just adds more cards and maps and stuff. If you like the game get this too, I mean more cards yknow. Beyond that they released a bunch of map expansions which I personally think you can take or leave, especially since theyre impossible to get.

Ah_Pook on
    edited January 2021
    So by the end of the month I should have received
    Bloodborne
    Tainted Grail
    Dungeon Crusade
    Dice Throne Adventures

A metric ton of Shadows of Brimstone
    various and sundry others I've lost track of

Oy.

Magic Pink on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I picked up a core set and the first two cycles and big box expansions for the LotR LCG the other day on eBay. I think it was more retail therapy than anything else, because my solo playing of Gloomhaven hit a wall last year and I haven't touched the first cycle of Arkham Horror that I've got in a box somewhere.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I picked up a core set and the first two cycles and big box expansions for the LotR LCG the other day on eBay. I think it was more retail therapy than anything else, because my solo playing of Gloomhaven hit a wall last year and I haven't touched the first cycle of Arkham Horror that I've got in a box somewhere.

I would be quite happy if FFG one day sold an entire LotR LCG set boxed, seeing as how they aren't adding anything anymore and trying to track down the individual packs with their variable availability is a pain.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

I clubbed myself over the head with some retail therapy over the past 3 weeks. Bought around a dozen games and expansions... I've played maybe four games in person since February?

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

How many are there? The game is seemingly obscure online.

I just know to get it on amazon or Gale Force Nine's site as i have been debating about getting the alien queen just to paint or do I want to go deep and get the whole game?
    But I did not know how it played

An obscure game I have {well several?} Is the Cave I have played it a few times and I want to again but it's in a pile of stuff as well as one of the games I am not allowed to play anymore
    Labyrinth: The War on Terror and the Long Road because I was doing things like refusing the play the patriot act and making Iran my best friend

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    For all that Talisman is a bit rubbish as a tactical competition game, for a fun way to spend an afternoon playing with my wife and 10 yr old it’s amazing. Slowly hoarding expansions.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    I pulled Empyreal: Spells & Steam out of my backlog. First off, despite my "meh, its alright" feelings towards it, it is deceptively simple and short. It was not a hit with the girl I'm dating so its probably not going to see much use.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Picked up that bgg Stat tracker app. Going to start keeping more details this year. I had stopped tracking on bgg during the pandemic, and now regret it.
    I do wish they had the expansion tracker implemented. Hopefully soon? Or has it always said "future update" under variant?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    if youre bored and want to watch me play Dungeonquest on twitch check it out :) ive been messing around with getting a streaming setup going, think its about there.

twitch.tv/ah_pook23

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Someone local helped do a group order for the Anachrony expansion kickstarter. That arrived today.
    Tee-hee.
    s6accppc8snv.jpg

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    tfw you accidentally became a warehouse

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Since they also act as a hub for some recurring local group-buys, I think they're quite familiar with that sensation already. However 13 boxes (one was apparently unpictured) taking up roughly the space of a Kallax shelf is probably a new one. :P

• VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Acquire someone's old Minecart or Forbidden Fortress Daimyo KS? I'm ready for them to open up the pledge manager on the SoB Adventures Kickstarter, as they tend to hold out on that step till they're getting close to fulfillment.

steam_sig.png
    Visskar wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Acquire someone's old Minecart or Forbidden Fortress Daimyo KS? I'm ready for them to open up the pledge manager on the SoB Adventures Kickstarter, as they tend to hold out on that step till they're getting close to fulfillment.

No they just had a Black Friday sale.

jjxpzy1nxhql.jpg

Um... It was a REALLY good sale *cough*

edited January 2021
    Very nice! When you start organizing all of your cards, I'm personally fond of going the artist box / broken token route. I've got two of these boxes now.

6nzp4396glrw.jpg

Visskar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Very nice! When you start organizing all of your cards, I'm personally fond of going the artist box / broken token route. I've got two of these boxes now.

6nzp4396glrw.jpg

Two?!?!
    Just for the cards??

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    edited January 2021

Two?!?!
    Just for the cards??

Yup! Between the original two core sets, several otherworlds / deluxe expansions, the Forbidden Fortress Daimyo pledge level, and a whole lot of supplemental card packs, there's a lot of cards in this game. Though having them all sleeved doesn't help, and I'm planning to de-sleeve most of them before the Adventures kickstarter arrives with the two new adventure sets and add ons.

Visskar on
    steam_sig.png
    good lord thats a lot of cards and boxes!

hey, i streamed my first actual boardgame stream tonight :) played a few games of Marvel Champions, if you wanna check it out heres the link to the VOD. if you do check it out give me some feedback on how the stream looks!

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    @Ah_Pook where did you get the fancy sleeve for Ant-Man?

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • RichardRichard Registered User regular
    Hello Board Game thread,

My girlfriend gave me Pandemic Season 0 for my birthday. We just finished Season 1 during the holidays. Should we get Season 2 before playing 0 or it doesn't matter?