As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    All good, I just wanted to provide the date because I came across it purely by accident while looking into Holy Shroud (for the record they list the date of Holy Shroud II there instead of on its own page.

I think that Tiepolo was against the NAIS raid because he saw (or at least was aware of) the failure of Holy Shroud II.

I also think that if Waterly had taken the helm 5 years earlier, Comstar would be a more visible participant in the events.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Hi thread, sorry to interrupt!

I just got into this game. I saw the collection of mech builds on page one, joined the discord. Any other suggestions? I'd really like a Nova build https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#abcbd3d5_NVA-A (I love the nova since MW2), but curious how it would run.

e: I'm also cool throwing some $$$ at a free game so if there are any bundles you suggest, please share!

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
      Three kills. 200XP. Granted they were kills on lights that were sitting still so very little actual damage, but man, that one stung.

TimFiji wrote: »

I just got into this game. I saw the collection of mech builds on page one, joined the discord. Any other suggestions? I'd really like a Nova build https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#abcbd3d5_NVA-A (I love the nova since MW2), but curious how it would run.

e: I'm also cool throwing some $$$ at a free game so if there are any bundles you suggest, please share!

Nova's are fun because MW2 like you said, but they are an odd shape. Running some AMS and lasers and trying to stay with the group is a good way to be helpful while learning the game, IMO

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
      I'm still trying to get practice in with it, but I just had a successful fishing trip in my Javelin.

What I call "fishing trips" in MWO is when I run out to basically be bait for people to chase a kill. The idea is peel off enemies from the main fight or at least distract them long enough for my team on the front line to get an advantage. Or in this case, get out of a disadvantage. We were on goddamn Canyon Network again and my team went into the typical kill box on the low ground. So I ran up to the middle and peeled off an entire lance from the enemy. Instead of going to the high ground to trap my team into one spot, they tried chasing me around a bit. Bought my team time to fight the enemy 11 to 8 (or technically 7; one of the enemy's scouts was taking a long path around for vision on our rear flank). By the time I got back with the enemy behind me my team was positioned to open fire on them as a surprise. Thank god my team was paying attention to my "Target Spotted" and "help" calls getting closer as I approached.

I highly recommend getting the NVA-S as it is the only variant with the AMS slot in the center torso. You can still build the ERPPC build on it, but you can also build a triple AMS and 12 ERSL build as well and farm match score off of missile boats.

For mech packs the only two which are full value at the basic level are the Piranha and Vapor Eagle. There are several which have 1-2 good chassis, but the two I mentioned are the only ones where all 3 variants are high tier.

Other than that I’d recommend GSP packs once you’ve settled into mechs you like. Skill grinding is tedious if you don’t have premium time.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
      Henroid wrote: »
      I'm still trying to get practice in with it, but I just had a successful fishing trip in my Javelin.

What I call "fishing trips" in MWO is when I run out to basically be bait for people to chase a kill. The idea is peel off enemies from the main fight or at least distract them long enough for my team on the front line to get an advantage. Or in this case, get out of a disadvantage. We were on goddamn Canyon Network again and my team went into the typical kill box on the low ground. So I ran up to the middle and peeled off an entire lance from the enemy. Instead of going to the high ground to trap my team into one spot, they tried chasing me around a bit. Bought my team time to fight the enemy 11 to 8 (or technically 7; one of the enemy's scouts was taking a long path around for vision on our rear flank). By the time I got back with the enemy behind me my team was positioned to open fire on them as a surprise. Thank god my team was paying attention to my "Target Spotted" and "help" calls getting closer as I approached.

Ahhhh squirreling. The second most fun thing to do in a light. Especially fun and feels good when it works. Especially if you are still alive at the end of the match.

oosik_betsuni.png
      Steam: betsuni7
      Nobody wrote: »

I highly recommend getting the NVA-S as it is the only variant with the AMS slot in the center torso. You can still build the ERPPC build on it, but you can also build a triple AMS and 12 ERSL build as well and farm match score off of missile boats.

For mech packs the only two which are full value at the basic level are the Piranha and Vapor Eagle. There are several which have 1-2 good chassis, but the two I mentioned are the only ones where all 3 variants are high tier.

Other than that I’d recommend GSP packs once you’ve settled into mechs you like. Skill grinding is tedious if you don’t have premium time.

I am quite new so sorry if this is a silly question: Can I buy an A variant (for instance) but purchase the S variant Center Torso for customizing to add that AMS to an AMS build I'm doing?

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

I am quite new so sorry if this is a silly question: Can I buy an A variant (for instance) but purchase the S variant Center Torso for customizing to add that AMS to an AMS build I'm doing?

Other way around. You'd buy the S-variant for the CT (which cannot be swapped), then swap A omnipods onto that S CT.

MechMantis wrote: »

Other way around. You'd buy the S-variant for the CT (which cannot be swapped), then swap A omnipods onto that S CT.

Oh ok, cool. I've been playing around with MechLab past few days trying to figure out how to spend my 25 million c bills.

Sorry, with Omnimechs the part that’s locked to a variant is the CT. The NVA-A can only ever have the A CT

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
          Betsuni wrote: »

Ahhhh squirreling. The second most fun thing to do in a light. Especially fun and feels good when it works. Especially if you are still alive at the end of the match.
          Thing is, I was doing it in a pretty stupid way. The Javelin is a tall light mech. Luckily I play more heavily armored than most people so I was able to take what was being thrown my way.

The trick is putting up enough of a fight to convince people you're vulnerable enough (and having enough firepower to not be ignorable). I changed my two pulse lasers out for ER lasers and it made a huge difference in engaging people and keeping their attention. Literally had 2 mediums and an assault firing on me at my furthest reach before I decided it was enough to FO. Lost all my back armor but lived the whole match with everything intact.

My team won a match via capture on Polar Highlands. Score was 11-9. Our three remaining mechs were LRM-only King Crab, LRM-only Supernova, and a PPC-LRM Mad Dog. No LRM ammo left on any mech.
          Remaining enemy mech- afk Raven. As the three mechs capped, the Mad Dog shot once at the Raven, hit the hill in front of himself, then just zoomed in and out on it until the cap finished. It was the saddest thing I have ever seen.

• RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular

No joke, I've pulled this off on canyon network in a king crab. The other team got so excited about an isolated assault they lost 4 guys to being rolled over from behind by the time I went down

edited January 2021
          Holy shit how much armor to Highlanders have? My team had one guy standing at the end in a match just now, and he literally just stood in place taking damage for a solid 40 seconds returning fire (badly).

Edit - There were 7 of the enemy team alive shooting at him.

Henroid on
          Holy shit how much armor to Highlanders have? My team had one guy standing at the end in a match just now, and he literally just stood in place taking damage for a solid 40 seconds returning fire (badly).

IS Highlander? They have a decent amount of armor, a lot if they have a full armor skill tree, but they also have easy to isolate hit boxes.

If it was still alive that long with 7 mechs shooting at it, it was some combination of excellent Highlander pilot and poor shooting by the other team.

IS Highlander? They have a decent amount of armor, a lot if they have a full armor skill tree, but they also have easy to isolate hit boxes.

If it was still alive that long with 7 mechs shooting at it, it was some combination of excellent Highlander pilot and poor shooting by the other team.
          In order he lost left leg, right arm, right torso, left arm, and then finally fell over.

In order he lost left leg, right arm, right torso, left arm, and then finally fell over.

Sounds like somebody was farming damage then

Wow, bought my nova and played with it. Those trial mechs made me feel like trash. First match I got 4 kills, 2 solo, 8 assists.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
            Still processing larger events in the world, and I had a rewatch of the Battletech intro. Probably my favorite "on a budget" cutscene of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAGY4UMScyU

And I just kept thinking to myself, "Yep, this is how something noble and beautiful just... falls apart." Same as it ever was.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
            The intro is so good. I knew shit about the lore going into Battletech, but that cutscene neatly sets the stage for the game and with music and timing that gives goosebumps. Beautifully executed minimalistic cutscene.

There's not one spoken word!

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
            Not even a typed one other than years! Epitome of showing and not telling.

I had a sort of general knowledge of the lore but yeah, the intro to Battletech communicates it brilliantly. It's actually fucking artistic.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
            edited January 2021
            So apparently on the highest difficulty Roguetech introduces the Urbanmech AIV as an enemy unit. Some of you are now cringing. The rest are going "wuh? why is an Urbanmech on the worst difficulty?"
            The AIV is a semi-cannon Urbanmech variant that mounts an Arrow IV missile artillery launcher. With nuclear tipped missiles. Everything within ~6 hexes either side of ground zero dies.

Phoenix-D on
          • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
            edited January 2021
            Bleh, the more I hear about it, the less appealing Roguetech sounds. Also,
            Surely anything that can achieve critical mass would have a much larger blast radius than 180 meters?

H3Knuckles on
            If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
            camo_sig2-400.png
          • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
            Phoenix-D wrote: »
            So apparently on the highest difficulty Roguetech introduces the Urbanmech AIV as an enemy unit. Some of you are now cringing. The rest are going "wuh? why is an Urbanmech on the worst difficulty?"
            The AIV is a semi-cannon Urbanmech variant that mounts an Arrow IV missile artillery launcher. With nuclear tipped missiles. Everything within ~6 hexes either side of ground zero dies.
            Look, I play MWO, if I see an Urbie walking at 30kmh my assault stays out of its way.

edited January 2021
            H3Knuckles wrote: »
            Bleh, the more I hear about it, the worse Roguetech sounds. Also,
            Surely anything that can achieve critical mass would have a much larger blast radius than 180 meters?
            360 meters, 6 on either side. This thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett_(nuclear_device) hits at around 10 tons of TNT...not that much. Everything unshielded within a quarter mile would still die, but that's because it was very very hot, throwing out more radiation than blast. Mechs would protect against that to a fair extent.

Still not good game design by any means though. :P

4m6vu8g2if1f.jpg

Phoenix-D on
            Oh please, it's an Urbanmech. Luke Skywalker can run on foot underneath it and take it down when he harpoons his way up.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
            edited January 2021
            Phoenix-D wrote: »

Oh, so like why I stopped playing Battletech in the first place without finishing the campaign (dumbass vehicle spam) but worse.

...yay?

HappylilElf on
            Also I decided to stat up an Urbanmech aimed for close-in fighting only, since the AC/10 actually has decent range.

Turns out without changing any of the other fit, by pulling the AC/10 and ammo you can add 1 small laser and 24 Machine Guns. Bad news: Max range 3 hexes. Good news: 50 point alpha strike, basically no heat, 4 alphas of ammo (8 if you pull the extra small laser). You're going to sandblaster things to death though...

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
            edited January 2021
            I pretty much watch that intro every time I start up the game and I also showed my girlfriend who has no idea whatsover about battletech the video and she had a decent grasp of the point of it by the end.

I mean she had no idea what anything was called or any of the politics of course, but she got the point just fine.
            Orca wrote: »
            Not even a typed one other than years! Epitome of showing and not telling.

Well sorry to be that guy but there are some words but they're in a "tv news spot" format, mostly mentioning stuff like "Richard Cameron vows to bring periphery in line" and stuff like that. It's not really that important though.

Morninglord on
            (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
            I'm looking around at Assault mechs to buy in MWO, specifically IS mechs since I already have 2 clan designs in that class. The Marauder 4HP is fucking hysterical; do you like rockets? THIS IS THE MECH FOR YOU.

I'm looking around at Assault mechs to buy in MWO, specifically IS mechs since I already have 2 clan designs in that class. The Marauder 4HP is fucking hysterical; do you like rockets? THIS IS THE MECH FOR YOU.

I found it to be super hilarious when the rockets work. Think I run mine with tons of them and MLs or MPLs I think.

oosik_betsuni.png
            I'm looking forward to tracking down the M. Stackpole books on the Clan Invasion, I've heard that's some of the best BT material.

I found it to be super hilarious when the rockets work. Think I run mine with tons of them and MLs or MPLs I think.
            Don't encourage me to do silly shit. Because I will. <.<

I took one of the Fafnir variants into the testing ground and holy crap, I didn't know firing double Heavy Gauss Rifles would cause so much recoil. I also didn't know their range was actually really low on the optimal end. Lethal as hell, but closing 200 meters is quite a chore.

I took one of the Fafnir variants into the testing ground and holy crap, I didn't know firing double Heavy Gauss Rifles would cause so much recoil. I also didn't know their range was actually really low on the optimal end. Lethal as hell, but closing 200 meters is quite a chore.

Hahaha, yeah I pre-ordered the Marauder II set because it was a cheap buy for a bunch of assaults. Then I had to do an Oosik build with the rocket launchers. Knowing me I'd be super tempted to buy one just for the laughs. I only have had it work once though, but it was worth it watching that armor of the enemy mech melt.

That's why you run the ECM Fafnir. You have no idea how a huge mech sometimes will not register on people's screens since they can't target it.

oosik_betsuni.png

Hahaha, yeah I pre-ordered the Marauder II set because it was a cheap buy for a bunch of assaults. Then I had to do an Oosik build with the rocket launchers. Knowing me I'd be super tempted to buy one just for the laughs. I only have had it work once though, but it was worth it watching that armor of the enemy mech melt.

That's why you run the ECM Fafnir. You have no idea how a huge mech sometimes will not register on people's screens since they can't target it.

I’ve watched a stealth Atlas stroll through enemy teams and come out the other side at 100%

As far as ECM on Assault class mechs goes, do you want to skill up for the Enhanced ECM in the Sensors tree?

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
            You always want the ECM nodes on an ECM mech.

As for IS Assaults, Sleipnir Cyclops if you have MC to burn.

If you don't, pick up the FNR-5.

You can slap 4x LB10X in either of those, and it's solid.

ew9y0DD.png
            3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991