As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] United in Horror at All of This

• AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    The Judge wrote: »
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    Beasteh wrote: »
    made a control warrior deck to counter all the shaman and rogue and i immediately queued into five hard control warlocks in a row

every single one of these warlocks had felosophied tickatus to deck me, double stickyfinger for my bulwark, and silas for my rattlegore

probably the most one sided matchup i have ever seen in hearthstone? jesus christ i am tilted

e: loses to res priest too, what is even the point of this deck

every rogue i face is hyper aggro now, seems miracle rogue has died off with all the control lock ruining their fun

I brought this to Legend last month. It's legit.

### Galakrond Beats All

Had a quest for Warriors, gave this a spin with these changes due to missing cards:

-1 Barov / -1 Scion
    +1 Deathwing, Mad / +1 Bloodboil Brute

I flat out murdered the two Evolve Shamans I saw. MVP? The Brute. Shamans make it cheap as hell and pairs nicely with Bloodsworn.

I feel Scion on it's own is better suited against big boards as it can target up to 3 targets where Brute needs damaged creatures to be cheaper and Bloodworm to be better. Scion scales better with Stage Dive or Galakrond which is awesome.
    I feel Skipper and Armor Smith also synergise with Scion a tad better as well, for even more damage / health.
    A second brawl would be preferable if you don't have Barov as you can play it sooner then the dragon, but it's certainly not a bad pick.

But hey, if it works!

Deck feels really good against Rogue, Hunter and Priest as well by the way. Especially Rogue is favored. Druid is race though, before the taunt trains come.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Small balance patch going live today.

Text dump:
    We’ve got a small balance patch with a few big changes planned for release this Friday, January 8!

Standard Balance Updates

Edwin VanCleef
    Old: [Costs 3] → New: [Costs 4]

Dev Comment: The last few weeks have been the best Edwin has ever performed as an individual card (the highest win rate card in multiple Rogue archetypes). Alongside cards like Foxy Fraud and Shadowstep, the frequency of early 8/8 or 10/10 Edwin VanCleefs reached a point we are no longer comfortable with. We want to evaluate how the rest of Rogue's kit performs without this very powerful iteration of Edwin. Cards like Foxy Fraud, Swindle, and Prize Plunderer are important pieces for future expansions and card interactions, so we'll be keeping close tabs on how they perform with the influx of new cards and Edwin's nerf.

Boggspine Knuckles
    Old: 4 Attack → New: 3 Attack

Dev Comment: We're lowering the attack on Boggspine Knuckles in order to cut into the fluidity of Evolve Shaman, increasing the required investment of playing a 5-mana weapon without a free Dread Corsair, and reduce the overall damage output the deck is capable of over multiple weapon charges. This change lowers the amount of explosive plays available to Evolve Shaman and should create an overall healthier meta.

Battlegrounds Balance Update

Elistra the Immortal
    Old: 7 Attack, 7 Health → New: 4 Attack, 4 Health

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Nerfing Elistra is probably fine. She was too good. I don't know how that specific nerf plays out.

I would like to have more BG changes. I feel the gulf between good and bad heroes is too big and spells don't really help. You can usually die to bad luck (getting matched to top players exclusively, not hitting good minions/triples, getting bad spells) in the mid game easily, but if you play too conservative you will always lose to high rollers anyway. So it's often the crrect play to just greed it and pray and that doesn't feel very good.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Small balance patch going live today.

Text dump:
    We’ve got a small balance patch with a few big changes planned for release this Friday, January 8!

Standard Balance Updates

Edwin VanCleef
    Old: [Costs 3] → New: [Costs 4]

Dev Comment: The last few weeks have been the best Edwin has ever performed as an individual card (the highest win rate card in multiple Rogue archetypes). Alongside cards like Foxy Fraud and Shadowstep, the frequency of early 8/8 or 10/10 Edwin VanCleefs reached a point we are no longer comfortable with. We want to evaluate how the rest of Rogue's kit performs without this very powerful iteration of Edwin. Cards like Foxy Fraud, Swindle, and Prize Plunderer are important pieces for future expansions and card interactions, so we'll be keeping close tabs on how they perform with the influx of new cards and Edwin's nerf.

Boggspine Knuckles
    Old: 4 Attack → New: 3 Attack

Dev Comment: We're lowering the attack on Boggspine Knuckles in order to cut into the fluidity of Evolve Shaman, increasing the required investment of playing a 5-mana weapon without a free Dread Corsair, and reduce the overall damage output the deck is capable of over multiple weapon charges. This change lowers the amount of explosive plays available to Evolve Shaman and should create an overall healthier meta.

Battlegrounds Balance Update

Elistra the Immortal
    Old: 7 Attack, 7 Health → New: 4 Attack, 4 Health

never thought i'd see the fucking day they nerf Edwin

they even mentioned on twitter they're planning on HoFing him and reverting the nerf at that time

Grobian wrote: »
    Nerfing Elistra is probably fine. She was too good. I don't know how that specific nerf plays out.

I would like to have more BG changes. I feel the gulf between good and bad heroes is too big and spells don't really help. You can usually die to bad luck (getting matched to top players exclusively, not hitting good minions/triples, getting bad spells) in the mid game easily, but if you play too conservative you will always lose to high rollers anyway. So it's often the crrect play to just greed it and pray and that doesn't feel very good.

It weakens her as a triple reward early on in the game (where she was FAR too strong) but retains her unique use-case as a tech card to protect taunts. It's still fine in the lategame; 7 health/attack did not matter in the lategame, the effect was what mattered.

A good nerf that I'm definitely sold on.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I think 3 attack on Knuckles changes virtually nothing. Dread Corsair costs 1 instead of 0 and you can't remove a 4 health minion on your swing turn, but those don't seem like significant impacts.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    I think 3 attack on Knuckles changes virtually nothing. Dread Corsair costs 1 instead of 0 and you can't remove a 4 health minion on your swing turn, but those don't seem like significant impacts.

bqpul4stffa2.jpeg

I'm confused. They didn't change the mana cost on Knuckles.

I have the image I’m going to use it when it is viable.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

The results are all that matter. If the number of Evolve Shamans drops by half over the next week, I'll consider it a good nerf.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Oh man I fucking called Knuckles getting -attack as the nerf.

Also it's not a Hall of Faming, but I'll take the Edwin nerf.

Time to collect 2400 dust.

forty on
    It's both. They're nerfing him to 4, then reverting when they HoF it.

Yilias wrote:
    Dread Corsair costs 1 instead of 0

It's both. They're nerfing him to 4, then reverting when they HoF it.
    Ooh, in that case...
    April after April I keep being shocked that Edwin never gets HoF'd or nerfed.

Darkmoon Faire has been the ultimate expansion of vindication.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I may have missed 60 Minutes, was Dread Corsair somehow the anchoring card that was holding Evolve Shaman together?

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    edited January 2021
    It was one of the contributing pieces to Evolve Shaman swing turns. Clearly Team 5's intent isn't to completely torpedo Evolve Shaman to the bottom of the sea the way they did Galakrond Shaman in December 2019.

Edit: Believe it or not, there were actually already a few decks with positive win rates against Evolve Shaman, but part of the issue is that Miracle Rogue generally pounded on them, so they were tough decks to try to bring into a meta heavy with both. Of course Miracle Rogue should still be able to live on with nerfed (or replaced) Edwin, so it remains to be seen how much the meta will be opened up for the counters.

forty on
    Apparently the HoF is going away in it's current incarnation and a new system is coming into place. No other details given.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Apparently the HoF is going away in it's current incarnation and a new system is coming into place. No other details given.

Hall of Fame will be Hall of Fame'd?

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    core set rotation team you just gotta believe

liEt3nH.png
    I'm guessing I know the answer, but does completing the Jaina/Rexxar campaign again to get the Achievements (which claim to reward a pack) actually get you another class pack?

edited January 2021
    emnmnme wrote: »

I guess a (monthly?) system where some cards are banned and some cards are released back into the meta would certainly keep things interesting.
    Especially if one can earn those 'old' cards from brawls or adventures.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
    The last time they did that we had Evolve Quest Shaman.

The last time they did that we had Evolve Quest Shaman.

I'm sure they will make mistakes along the way. Depends on how fast they will adapt and evolve themselves. I mean, they are quicker with Nerfs and Changes nowadays. Hope they become even quicker, but I understand it's a tough decision between let's see if the meta can figure it out first and changing things to quickly.

See my profile here!

I guess a (monthly?) system where some cards are banned and some cards are released back into the meta would certainly keep things interesting.
    Especially if one can earn those 'old' cards from brawls or adventures.

Plus this would be a great way to sell/give away more older packs. A win-win!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    evolve mechanics have literally never not been broken so i dont know why they keep printing and pushing new ones

find another fucking direction for the class you goblins

DNiDlnb.png
    edited January 2021
    Dibby wrote: »
    evolve mechanics have literally never not been broken so i dont know why they keep printing and pushing new ones

The mechanic would work better if there were high mana cost duds for minions to evolve into. A Shaman can throw down that Mortals Are So Squishy dude without fear because there's no 10-mana Hai'reek.

emnmnme on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

The mechanic would work better if there were high mana cost duds for minions to evolve into. A Shaman can throw down that Mortals Are So Squishy dude without fear because there's no 10-mana Hai'reek.
    There exist plenty of duds at every mana level.

I always get the duds.

Making new bad high cost cards (duds) is not the answer to the Evolve problem. It's not even a bandaid.

The answer is to stop making Evolve mechanics. The answer to any design problem is to directly address it, not inadvertently change it via introducing more randomness so that like maybe 1 time out of 10 they get a dud. Cause those 9 other times feel bad for the person playing against Shaman, and that 1 time feels bad for the Shaman player (and yes, it's important for the people playing the game to have fun on both sides, like if you're playing a deck whose entire build-around is mana-cheating out high-cost dudes then it better feel fuckin' good when you mana-cheat those out). But the problem occurs in the first place when the frustration outweighs the fun, and currently that's where we're at.

DNiDlnb.png
    edited January 2021
    3/4 of the Old Gods are pretty bad to Evolve into at 10 mana.

forty on
    Perhaps evolve should change minions into tokens with power and toughness equal to their cost, and not even up their cost by 1.

I gave this 5 seconds of thought so I might eat my words by making it worse.

See my profile here!
    Perhaps evolve should change minions into tokens with power and toughness equal to their cost, and not even up their cost by 1.

I gave this 5 seconds of thought so I might eat my words by making it worse.

Oo, oo, Evolve now affects all minions on both sides of the board. Problem solved.

Evolve should just silence the minions after they've been evolved.

edited January 2021
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Evolve should just silence the minions after they've been evolved.

Depends on how many low cost minions with high stats we have that have drawbacks, but it's a good start.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
    Evolve as a one off is not that great. The 0 point evolve was a good swing card but it was never just wrecking the field. It’s the weapon where on turn 4 (with coin) you can drop it 2 minions (for free) and attack giving huge value then dropping 3-4 minions on the next turn and swinging again for value. The back to back hits where it’s like turn 4 you have 2 5 cost minions then turn 5 you have 3 4 cost minions and a 2 cost minions as well as removing 2 threats with the knucks. It’s a big move. And revolve makes it so that you can make smaller moves.

How did Evolve get pinned to Shamans, anyways? Shamans didn't evolve things in WoW, they just tossed some useless totems around.

edited January 2021
    Wild VS #25

Aggro Druid fell apart after the Voracious Reader nerf, while Secret Mage has continued to refine. New T1 is Secret Mage, Odd Paladin, Darkglare, Kingsbane, and Reno Priest.

Yilias on
    So Sayge really has supplanted Aluneth, eh?

Not just Sayge but also Rigged Faire Game drawing 3. It's pretty common to see 25+ cards every game now, which is also why all the secrets but Explosive Runes and Rigged Faire Game are 1 ofs now.

The even more interesting development is that the increased focus on board development and pushing minion damage has led to cutting Ice Block.

Sometimes even a solid build can’t get first.

tzn6dhoj2pkk.jpeg

edited January 2021
    This poor Hunter didn't know what hit him. Again and again. The game that got me into dad legend already.

Edit: for me 11 days is quick, ok? Ok?!

https://hsreplay.net/replay/7faLBMfXcFcS6jBo47WSaD

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
    This game ( https://hsreplay.net/replay/PnJVumppEYWed8fmyTXaRJ ) taught me that Yogg's Rod of Roasting can't target minions with stealth.

Or heroes that are stealthed :cool: