As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Parasociety

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Parasociety

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    For those wondering, it's someone called CallMeCarson.

Is this really a common thing though?

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • TheSchaefTheSchaef Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

It doesn't have to be. Sensational stories get amplified, particularly if the person has even the slightest notoriety.

Put another way, there are 50 million content creators users on YouTube. If this was literally a one-in-a-million phenomenon and they started getting busted over the course of a year, you'd say to yourself, man, it seems like I'm hearing about another one of these every week. And you would be correct. And it would still be extraordinarily uncommon.

It's the same reason we have a generation of helicopter parents: endless news stories have everyone convinced their kids are going to get kidnapped right out from under their nose, Minority Report style, in an age when kidnapping is actually way down and most of those cases are just custody disputes between separated/divorced parents. The perception of a crime is heightened and it creates the illusion that it's happening everywhere.

Disclaimer: crime is bad, and please take care of your children. I'm just talking about human psychology.

TheSchaef on
  • BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Gabe has a pen-name, it seems.

I'm pretty picky about which internet personalities I follow. Just hoping Markiplier doesn't turn out to be reprehensible in some way.

Bropocalypse on
  • TrueLinkTrueLink Registered User regular
    Does the universe implode upon itself when Gabe Jr. becomes older than Gabe Sr., or does it it wait until Gabe the Third is born? Asking for a friend.

• Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    I assume the book is meant to improve your attitude towards pedophiles, right?

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    You know you've been reading PA for a long time when your first impression of this comment is, "What? Gabe's kid has facial hair now?"

• swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    I would like to take a moment to appreciate the back cover of the book in panel 3. I really enjoyed Gabe's "smug author face" in panel 2 but didn't see the details on the back until I looked again.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

About as common as any other celebrity I'd imagine. With the world far more connected with nearly all online interactions being recorded we notice these things now more.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I think it's probably also a callback to Dr Disrespect's bathroom invasion.

• v2miccav2micca Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

About as common as any other celebrity I'd imagine. With the world far more connected with nearly all online interactions being recorded we notice these things now more.

Also, youtube celebrities don't have access to the same resources traditional celebrities employed to cover up their dirty laundry. I mean, look at the shit that Cosby was regularly getting away with for close to 3 decades.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

I dunno it seems more common with twitch/youtube people. Like over the summer twitch banned a bunch of dudes for grooming and other shit. I'm don't know if its on par with that in general society just more out in the open, but there is definitely a not small % of streamers/content creators who when they saw they have power are using it for gross sexual stuff.

On a personal note why can't the guy who runs FGTV be arrested for something, like I dunno his inability to rap or be a good human being?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I dunno it seems more common with twitch/youtube people. Like over the summer twitch banned a bunch of dudes for grooming and other shit. I'm don't know if its on par with that in general society just more out in the open, but there is definitely a not small % of streamers/content creators who when they saw they have power are using it for gross sexual stuff.

On a personal note why can't the guy who runs FGTV be arrested for something, like I dunno his inability to rap or be a good human being?

I think success can cause people to become overconfident to the point of exploitative, and a lot of gamers are social troglodytes. Also, and this is just speculation, but I think that the fact that the internet allows some to find a taste of success without the intervention that other celebrities might see, such as a movie actor or musician who would have an agent, producers, personal assistants, et cetera, all of whom would be in a position to say "You gotta not do the thing, because it'll ruin your career." Possibly even making them see a therapist to get the evil out of their head. It doesn't always happen, of course, but I think at least an avenue for intervention by others might be important before this shit gets loose.

• darthewokdarthewok Registered User regular
    My favorite part is "special anniversary edition"

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I like the stoplight with the youtube play button as the red light.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • ZobirisZobiris NS, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So is he holding the book upside-down in the last panel...or?

• LieutenantDanLieutenantDan Registered User regular
    Thank you for the post Jerry. Agree.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Zobiris wrote: »
    So is he holding the book upside-down in the last panel...or?

It's a manga?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Also, fellow olds: Annarchy probably has a kid by now

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Gabriel the Younger's facial hair is a sort of temporal Jörmungandr that gnaws at the roots of the tree that is me.

• DruexDruex Registered User regular
    Jerry's post fills me with hope that there are more sane people out there than I previously thought.

"It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse" - Kane : Tiberian Sun
  • SolaceInRageSolaceInRage Registered User regular
    I don't think it is any more common for youtubers or streamers, but when you do have one do something like this it is so much more visible than someone in another field it can appear that way.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Why would you do that?! I just realised I'm old, and I blame you.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    i'm not sure how i feel about this strip.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
    edited January 2021

I've read what happened and i'm like really a pædophile?

edit: spelling

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    Whilst I let many American spellings slide, pædophile is one where I think it's quite important you do actually use the æ (or at least ae); you don't want people to get confused and think you're talking about a foot fetishist.

klemming wrote: »

Oh, that's nothing. My brother - who is only 4 years older than me - becoming a grandfather did way more psychic damage to me.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

Oh, that's nothing. My brother - who is only 4 years older than me - becoming a grandfather did way more psychic damage to me.

I have benefited from being born waaaaaaayyyyy after my other siblings. My first niece was born when I was five. I became a great uncle around 33. I assume 40 years from now I’ll basically be the doddering patriarch of an empire.

Showsni wrote: »
    Whilst I let many American spellings slide, pædophile is one where I think it's quite important you do actually use the æ (or at least ae); you don't want people to get confused and think you're talking about a foot fetishist.

Aww crap i'm sorry for not taking the time to look that up. Not joking either.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular

https://youtu.be/FUcHpyOOmo4

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Gabriel the Younger's facial hair is a sort of temporal Jörmungandr that gnaws at the roots of the tree that is me.

Don't you mean Ratatoskr?

steam_sig.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    It's Nidhoggr.
    Friggin' mythology posers.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    Disagree with Jerry. This is not the first sign that something is wrong with the roots

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    It's Nidhoggr.
    Friggin' mythology posers.

Oh yeah. Ratastokr just runs up and down the tree delivering messages.
    I am duly shamed.

steam_sig.png
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Good post, thanks Jerry.

fadingathedges on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

The international phonetic alphabet uses the æ (the English name of the letter is pronounced 'ash' for those curious) to represent the 'a' sound in cat, so I think that would just cause a different sort of confusion. Like, it's kind of snobby to say that how over 330,000,000 people are accustomed to spelling something is wrong. I sincerely doubt you'll find very many English speakers (besides yourself) who know enough Latin to associate 'ped' with foot, but who are also legitimately unfamiliar with the term pedophile to the point they wouldn't understand what's being discussed.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • hibryd7hibryd7 Registered User regular
    "Everybody I know is running as hard as they can just to stand still."
    Goddamn, man. That's why I still come here after aught decades.
    Three syllables over the limit though; was nearly a champion haiku.

dennis wrote: »

I have benefited from being born waaaaaaayyyyy after my other siblings. My first niece was born when I was five. I became a great uncle around 33. I assume 40 years from now I’ll basically be the doddering patriarch of an empire.

His granddaughter was born a couple of months before my daughter.

"She's your cousin. We're not going into any more details!"

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

Not Galahad's though I bet.

H9f4bVe.png
  • PALaxxPALaxx Registered User regular
    I probably shouldn't be surprised that someone taking a 19 year old sending and receiving noods to and from a 17 year old and calling him a pedo like everyone else is also has such a pedestrian and media-biased hot take on the President and the situation surrounding the capitol, but here I am, being surprised.

I know you mentioned in your news post that you should be "scrolled passed" and don't generally share your political opinions because you're not some bastion of wisdom and knowledge that must be heard, but maybe you should have just stuck to that this time.

While I enjoy most of these comics, I think I'll just avoid the accompanying "news post" from now on. Although, it's still sad to see an otherwise entertaining strip that was only catalyzed from what amounts to a Romeo and Juliet situation. Granted, the images are still illegal, but it's still such a shame to see people assume he "diddles kids" when the two were only 2 years apart.

And for the record, I don't even like the guy.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    PALaxx wrote: »
    I probably shouldn't be surprised that someone taking a 19 year old sending and receiving noods to and from a 17 year old and calling him a pedo like everyone else is also has such a pedestrian and media-biased hot take on the President and the situation surrounding the capitol, but here I am, being surprised.

I know you mentioned in your news post that you should be "scrolled passed" and don't generally share your political opinions because you're not some bastion of wisdom and knowledge that must be heard, but maybe you should have just stuck to that this time.

While I enjoy most of these comics, I think I'll just avoid the accompanying "news post" from now on. Although, it's still sad to see an otherwise entertaining strip that was only catalyzed from what amounts to a Romeo and Juliet situation. Granted, the images are still illegal, but it's still such a shame to see people assume he "diddles kids" when the two were only 2 years apart.

And for the record, I don't even like the guy.

So, you created an account here to defend Trump and his fascist supporters, and clarify that CallMeCarson only broke the law? Wow, you must be a swell guy.

Note that neither the comic nor the newspost name the specific YouTube channel. While it was inspired by a particular scandal because one of their kids had been a fan, I think their choice to avoid the name makes it clear the intent here was a joke about the general situation.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png