As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the old Star Citizen thread

• GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    Make sure your Gimbals are set to auto.
    Their current mode is shown in the HUD, press G to change it. Energy weapons are definitely better for someone new to the game.
    For combat: always be strafing.

causality.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Or, for the bounties, kill them as they spawn in and before their AI activates.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    New roadmap. Not really sure how much use it will be, but it does look nice.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Why does Stow seem to have an internal cooldown of about 15 seconds? I don't remember that being the case when I was hand mining in Hurston Cave in 3.11. But ever since the 3.12 patch it has been awful. Grabbing a stack of minerals takes like 3 minutes now because you have to wait forever after each item you stow.

Lucascraft on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Why does Stow seem to have an internal cooldown of about 15 seconds? I

I saw it in 3.11 too. Wild assumption?

The delay is how long it takes to submit a change to your inventory DB and receive confirmation; to prevent lost/duped items. Rationale: The delay seems similar to how long it take to open your personal equipment, make a change, save it, then make another change and save it. The delay seems inconsistent (or was in 3.11) as network latency might.

Whatever it is, it sucks, and if you're in prison I highly recommend hunting Hadanite while waiting for those "Flip a switch on level 10" quests to show up. The common ore is worth like 1 minute per rock, and you're going to spend at least half your sentence mining in real time at that rate of return.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Prison time is in real time, so the real 300 IQ move is to wait until you're almost finished with a game session, then do a bunch of easy but well paying illegal missions, get yourself killed by security, wake up in jail, and then log off. By the time you play again your sentence will be complete.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Prison time is in real time, so the real 300 IQ move is to wait until you're almost finished with a game session, then do a bunch of easy but well paying illegal missions, get yourself killed by security, wake up in jail, and then log off. By the time you play again your sentence will be complete.
    This is immersive because real life works like this too. I commit all my crimes when I'm sleepy. That way I'll spend most of my time in jail dozing.

edited December 2020
    Well, I'm a street urchin now.

Scampering around Lorville, digging through piles of trash and looking for discarded presents to sell is officially a safer, faster way to make money than any of the beginner missions I have available to me on my MobiGlass. The credits per hour to find and sell the presents is so much better than anything I can do mission wise.

Theoretically, I could take a box mission, which rewards 8000 aUEC, and requires flying to 4 stops, average time probably 30 minutes. Maybe a bit more. Plus the risk of crashing my ship and dying. I say "theoretically" because my Mustang isn't actually capable of doing box missions. But anyway. 8000 aUEC per 30 minutes, or I could run around and probably find 30 presents in Lorville in that same time.

The FPS mercenary missions to clear a bunker are like 7000 aUEC per mission. Those missions also have an incredibly high risk factor and probably take longer to solo. I have to be very slow and methodical in order to not get blasted into oblivion. Just for the sake of putting an imaginary number to it, I'll say the FPS mercenary missions are about 7000 aUEC/45min.

Or! I could just run around Lorville and collect presents and sell them, which is approximately 30 presents per 30 minutes, or 30 aUEC/30min.

So yeah...

I'm a street urchin now. This is my new life path.

I'm already up to like 245k aUEC after making a few present runs last night. Which is way safer and way more profitable than anything I've been able to do previously by actually playing the game.

Lucascraft on
    I got out my stopwatch last weekend and checked how profitable bounty hunting is.
    One HRT Mission gives ~11250aUEC and takes me around four minutes from accept mission to next accept mission. Between bugs ruining runs and flying into asteroids I was able to do ten successful hunts in an hour.

causality.png
    Gokerz wrote: »
    I got out my stopwatch last weekend and checked how profitable bounty hunting is.
    One HRT Mission gives ~11250aUEC and takes me around four minutes from accept mission to next accept mission. Between bugs ruining runs and flying into asteroids I was able to do ten successful hunts in an hour.

I respect the drive, kid, but you're gonna burn yourself out at that place.

What if I told you there were private individuals willing to pay you twice as much to do the exact same thing you're doing now?

*Surreptitiously slides a 30k UEC murder contract across the bar*

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    I'm a big fan of the rebalanced rewards, it doesn't feel like space is a waste of time and money now.

The 890j mission they removed the
    hacking
    component and it's just a base 45k now modified if you
    murder any security guys by accident

I'm conflicted right now. The Mercury Star Runner is going to be leaving the real money store tomorrow. Right now I haven't spent anything on the game above the $60 price I paid for my original pledge in 2015, which is the cost of a standard video game. The MSR has a big price tag. $220 is a lot of cash for something that will be eventually earnable in game. But the reason why I'm even considering it is because there is certain to be at least one, probably more than one more wipe in the future before the game is officially released.

Owning the ship through the cash store ensures that it will always be on my account no matter what, and it will persist through wipes. That's why I'm considering it. Because I know if I save up in-game credits right now and earn it in-game, I will lose it in the future. Possibly lose it more than once if I make the effort on multiple occasions to save up for it.

There will most definitely be a wipe when icache is added, since that will entirely change the way persistence works. There will very likely also be a wipe when server meshing is added, since that will have a direct impact on the player-driven economy. I would also not be surprised if they don't do one final wipe late in development, just to level the playing field a bit before the game goes live. I do not think they'll do a release day wipe, but I could see them doing a wipe sometime mid-beta.

Anyway, all of that has led me to this decision where I have to decide if I want to drop a big chunk of change in real life so that in the long run I can save some time and effort of not having to lose the ship potentially multiple times in the game.

(Yes, I realize it is not currently even available for aUEC purchase, but that is certain to change, probably in the 3.13 patch after it has been exclusive for two patch cycles for real-money investors).

• Blah64Blah64 Registered User regular
    I would buy it.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    $220 is some serious cash for a digital product, especially for a product that's development cycle is so protracted, but hey gotta spend your stimulus money on something.

Personally, I'd spend the $10-20 to upgrade to an Avenger or some other ship that would give you a better starting position each time servers are wiped.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I upgraded to a Cutlass a while back and I love it, seems like it fills a bunch of roles decently.

Just need to upgrade the parts I think, just not sure best way to do that.

Was having performance issues last time I booted up on a 3700x and 2070.

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    So this last weekend was really feeling flying around in space (I started watching The Expanse recently, likely related) so decided to just upgrade my Mustang to the Avenger Titan to avoid my frustration cycle of loading the game up, trying to do something simple like a delivery mission and failing because a starter ship that should have cargo doesn't have functional cargo. It still sucks that I had to spend more money just to be able to, you know, play the game but man is it worth it. I absolutely like what the game looks like it wants to be when it works. Now they just need to get it to the point where it works most of the time, heh.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Lucascraft Have you used a Star Runner yet? Like, is it your ideal ship that you love and fits the role you want in the verse?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited January 2021
    It's one of my ideal ships, yes. Very much want one.

Here's my top 5 wishlist of ships. These are the ships that I intend to "main" for various activities in the game.

1) Apollo. I want this to be my main ship. Full stop. But since search and rescue gameplay isn't in the game, and neither is medical gameplay, this is a long ways off. Bones is my all time favorite Star Trek character (both the DeForest Kelley version and also the Karl Urban version) and I basically want to be Bones, flying around space, and rescuing dudes, all the while being a lovable grump. That's the dream.

2) Mercury Star Runner - for "day to day" gameplay. This is the ship I expect to spend the majority of my time in, both solo and in small group play. Plus whenever they add smuggling and also data running, both of those actually sound like fun activities. So I expect to get a ton of use out of this ship.

3) Carrack - this is my dream ship for exploration gameplay, long trips with multiple people, and a "home in the stars" kind of ship. The bigger the 'verse gets, the more time I expect to be spending in my Carrack.

4) Cutlass Black - for combat, bounty hunting, and other action oriented missons.

5) Hammerhead - I want one of these to be my war ship. For when I'm running with a multicrew for dynamic events such as the Xeno Threat, or future alien incursions. I'd also like one of these for missions like the Idris mission. And maybe for Org warfare. I think this is a really cool ship and basically want it for when the drums of war are sounded.

Right now, on that list I own the Cutlass Black. Saved up the 1.3mil credits and bought it in game. Love it. Great little ship. Super versatile, and I actually really like the mix of lasers and ballistic guns on it. Space combat feels pretty great in this ship.

Also...
    I bought a Mercury Star Runner with real money. So I own that now too.

Lastly, here's a fun anecdote.

Over the course of this week, I saved up the credits to buy the 125c that I wanted. I think they're neat little ships and I really just wanted one because they're sexy. Took it fresh off the landing bay in Lorville and proceeded to crash the damn thing into Everus Harbor. That ship has like no breaks. The X key did nothing. And I just sat there horrified as I drifted to my doom.

I also took the 125c out on a bounty hunting mission. The stock guns they give it are crap. I would not say this ship is usable right now. I'm gonna have to do some upgrading on it to get it to work for me.

Lucascraft on
    @Lucascraft What are your general availabilities? We could try to get a group going to let you try out the other ships like Hammerhead and Carrack

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Took it fresh off the landing bay in Lorville and proceeded to crash the damn thing into Everus Harbor. That ship has like no breaks. The X key did nothing. And I just sat there horrified as I drifted to my doom.

I have learned to pull up and hit the afterburner as my default response to an imminent frontal collision.

Related: Whoever put the cruise control button right next to the brakes owes me a lot of pretend money.

Took it fresh off the landing bay in Lorville and proceeded to crash the damn thing into Everus Harbor. That ship has like no breaks. The X key did nothing. And I just sat there horrified as I drifted to my doom.

I have learned to pull up and hit the afterburner as my default response to an imminent frontal collision.

Related: Whoever put the cruise control button right next to the brakes owes me a lot of pretend money.

And the thruster mode button

3basnids3lf9.jpg

DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @Lucascraft What are your general availabilities? We could try to get a group going to let you try out the other ships like Hammerhead and Carrack

Weekends I have a lot of time. Generally, my main WoW group plays a lot, usually around 9pm cst so I try to fit my Star Citizen (and other game time) in around that.

Once Star Citizen is a complete game with loads to do and tons of places to go, I will be quitting WoW. This game will replace it. But that's still a long ways off.

Weekends I have a lot of time. Generally, my main WoW group plays a lot, usually around 9pm cst so I try to fit my Star Citizen (and other game time) in around that.

Once Star Citizen is a complete game with loads to do and tons of places to go, I will be quitting WoW. This game will replace it. But that's still a long ways off.

@Fuselage You free tomorrow afternoon? 1400 Eastern or so?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited January 2021

And the thruster mode button
    For real.

[STOP MOVING] | [FULL SPEED AHEAD] | [CUT ENGINES]

One of these things is not like other! (If in coupled mode)

(Toggle coupled is a joystick button for me, so that's never actually killed me)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    At 1400 Eastern time a few of us are going to jump into the game and group up for shenanigans. @Lucascraft do you prefer flying or gunning if we spawn a Hammerhead?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

@DaMoonRulz I don't care. I've never used a turret so that would be a new experience for me.

DaMoonRulz I don't care. I've never used a turret so that would be a new experience for me.

@Fuselage Let's clear the hell out Hurston space

3basnids3lf9.jpg

So a buddy and I have been tooling around lately working up our bounty hunting rating. We just hit LRT (second from the bottom in terms of risk/reward)...but we did have an interesting VLRT bounty mission. Our target was in a Mustang Beta who instantly melted under my Sabre's guns. But then he had two friends show up. First ship that came in as backup was a Gladius. He didn't last long either (I actually think he crashed into an asteroid and spaced himself). The second backup ship that showed up was something unexpected:

A Hammerhead.

My buddy and I looked at it, and as soon as I saw the shape, I just instantly hit uncoupled, flipped around, and slammed the throttles to the stops. 900m/s and instantly went into engine overheat warning. By the time I started to slow down and glanced back, I was already 12km away and lining up for a QT to Port Olisar.

Like..."Very Low-Risk Threat" my ass!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    edited January 2021
    I'd like to see them do an overhaul for missions on the UI. Every mission needs to be clearly labeled as being designed for solo, or 1-2 players, or a group. (Or a fleet).

And to go along with that they need to add missions to the game, that are specifically designed to be taken on by groups of players. On Saturday a few of us did that fly-around in the Hammerhead. We did a claimjumper mission or something, and it was just too easy. But that's all we had. There's just not any missions designed for bigger ships or multi-crews right now.

I like the rating system they use for the bounties (even if they're sometimes a bit janky like in Erlkonig's story above) but they need to apply difficulty ratings to the other kinds of missions.

Lucascraft on
    For the first time ever I just bought myself a ship using aUEC and now own a Prospector! Now on to mining the stuffing out of some poor planet.

causality.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    For the first time ever I just bought myself a ship using aUEC and now own a Prospector! Now on to mining the stuffing out of some poor planet.

Be sure to upgrade to the Helix laser if you actually wanna mine anything.

wWuzwvJ.png
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Be sure to upgrade to the Helix laser if you actually wanna mine anything.

I actually made sure to have enough aUEC leftover for that. I still have painful memories from that time I tried out mining with a rented Prospector with basic components... never again.

As tradition demands I got my first 30k in several days the moment I laid my eyes on a field of ~8 tasty mineable rocks.

causality.png
    I have yet to get 30k'd (watch, now that I said that, it's going to be a chain of 30k's every single time I try to play). I have, however, seen:
    • QT drive being bugged
    • Nearly crushed by my bouncing Super Hornet after I landed on Port Olisar (like, I shut off everything, exited the cockpit, and it started bouncing hard on the deck)
    • Apparently buying the last coconut water out of the shop on Port Olisar (my buddy was getting thirsty and needed food/water...so I tested buying/drinking water at the store...it kept erroring on his screen saying "Out of stock")
    • My ship being force-stored after requesting permission to take off (I landed at Port Olisar, got out of my ship to do shopping, went back to my ship, and requested take off clearance...ATC told me my allotted time has expired and my ship was going to be stored, please exit the ship...as I was getting out of the ship, the ATC came back on to tell me I was cleared for takeoff...got back in my ship and the ATC told me my ship was about to immediately stored, please exit the ship! I just left and called up a different ship)

I get that it's an alpha and things are going to be buggy. Some of these are just funny (like those last three), but the QT drive bug is frustrating because it requires a relog which wipes any mission(s) that you've accepted.

Also, I was getting pretty nervous last night while running my LRT cert bounty mission. Took out my Super Hornet and the target got spaced pretty easily, but I was running on QT fumes because I really hate landing on Hurston. I got the mission while I was on Port Olisar, target was around Hurston, flew out there, spaced the target, and returned to Port Olisar. The full trip took 593.03 QT fuel units. The Super Hornet's QT fuel tank holds 593.33 units. Watching that fuel meter hit 1 unit and still being a little over a million Km away from Port Olisar was getting me to pucker a bit.

If you are around Hurston space, use Everus Harbor. I basically use that as my home base for everything. I keep all of my ships stored there. It's mighty convenient.

That might be a good idea, since I can't seem to get bounties when I'm around Crusader anymore (I did the cert for VLRT for Crusader space, but after doing the LRT cert for Hurston, the Crusader jobs have dried up). I can't remember if I've ever actually been to Everus yet.

Also, had a couple slightly interesting things happen to me while bounty hunting in my Sabre last night:

1) I accepted two bounties (one each for VLRT and LRT), and my QT would only recognize one of the beacons as a thing it could lock on to. Because of that, I had to pick the closest beacon (in this case, I think it was OM-2) and putter over on conventional drives. Thankfully, OM-2 was only 300km away, so I pushed my engine limiter up to 600, decoupled, and just kinda cruised there.

and 2) When I got to the mission area and touched the waypoint, no target spawned. However! there was a neutral, unmanned Dragonfly sitting near some debris. I slowly approached it and verified that it wasn't moving, had my guns trained on it, but didn't open fire. I've been watching The Expanse recently, so I was just like "Is this a trap? This feels like a trap." Eventually I just flew off because I thought to myself that if I were floating in space, it'd really suck to have some random person show up and dust my only ride. Eventually, the target (and Aurora) showed up and I dusted it before his AI initialized. His AI friend, though, came in hot...but it was only an Eclipse bomber. Was a little nervous, but then I just kept flying circles around it and just shredded it.

Honestly, I've played enough Mechwarrior 5 campaign (unmodded) that running these bounties over and over and seeing my bank account creep upwards is acceptably engaging for me. Eventually, I'm going to have to figure out what ship components to pick up.

It's so weird seeing Eclipses show up as LRT/VLRT bounty targets.

They're super specialized, they don't have a bed or more than a few jumps worth of QF. There's no reason for it to have left the hangar unless it's enroute to cause some mayhem that should be worth way more than a few thousand credits to stop.

But I figure this is basically the only way to test certain things, so there they are, derping around asteroid fields with low-grade warrants.

I would love to see the day where the mission becomes less turkey shoot and more "The Nova Riders have gotten their hands on an Eclipse, find it before it finds you!"

The funny thing is that my very first bounty cert mission I did, I was en route while piloting my Sabre and the QT bugged out. After relogging (and repaying the 500aUEC to take the cert mission) I was impatient with the insurance claim and didn't want to wait the 23 minutes for it to pop back into the station...so I took a Vanguard Harbinger out. I couldn't remember what role the Harbinger was, but figured it'd still be okay since it looked like it had guns on the nose. And sure enough...basically as soon as I got to around 3km out from a target and opened fire, the mission targets would get dusted after about 2-3 hits.

But yeah...the Eclipse looked like it had a single scattergun to defend itself, and I almost felt a little guilty. Although, the NPC did yell out "You asshole!" just as he was about to get spaced, so I didn't feel all that bad about doing it.

edited January 2021
    Some thoughts on PvE Bounty Hunting:

-Currently VHRT Northrock Group Bounties seem to reliably spawn around Hurston. Each gives you 65k+ and depending on your luck with spawning speed and distances can be done in 5-10 minutes even in an Aurora.
    -You can easily goad enemies into asteroids. Don't waste your time doing this to Vanguards as the barely seem to get a scratch from flying into big rocks at full speed. Works on most anything else though.
    -Constant strafing, and I can't emphasize this enough, is not optional during VHRT missions. Especially when facing Hurricanes.
    -For some reason Freelancers take significantly longer to kill than anything else I have faced during Bounty Hunting making MRT missions generally not worth it.
    -Group Bounties love to spawn two of your targets at the same spot with the corresponding amount of support fighters coming in shortly after. Focus on your targets, get out as quickly as possible, expect to need a repair run afterwards.

Gokerz on
    causality.png
    Back several months (like, 12-24 or so), I was trying out Arena Commander with the new flight model, and I was having an absolute nightmare of a time getting through the Freelancer wave in my Sabre. Like, needed to fire off multiple missiles (maybe even all of them) and just lay into them with my guns. Even then, they still burned through me if they managed to get me in their firing arc.

edited January 2021
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Back several months (like, 12-24 or so), I was trying out Arena Commander with the new flight model, and I was having an absolute nightmare of a time getting through the Freelancer wave in my Sabre. Like, needed to fire off multiple missiles (maybe even all of them) and just lay into them with my guns. Even then, they still burned through me if they managed to get me in their firing arc.
    According to erkul, S2 shields appear to have a damaged regen delay of zero seconds?

So that's like a constant -547 dps in the case of a Freelancer, Vanguard, or Valkyrie with 2x Fullstops. Perhaps how effectively an AI's routine manages to spread your fire over multiple shields makes some medium-sized* craft seem tougher than others? I feel like the MIS rarely charges head-on, so probably better spreads the hits over all quadrants.

*Cutlasses only have one shield, and are trash.**

**Edit: I meant to say "made from trash," but I will stand by that statement as written, and dare Drake's lawyers to contest it.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
This discussion has been closed.