As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for feedback on how to achieve a more stylized look like Overwatch

nervenerve Registered User regular
edited September 2020 in Artist's Corner
I am in the process of making a new model for my game character. My goal was to go for a stylized look similar to Overwatch and other games of that sort. I am afraid that I may have made the face too detailed but figured it would be best to get some outside opinions and guidance if anyone can give it.
68jkxi5xijf7.png

nerve on

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey Nerve!

Are you using reference while you work on this? I can see some of the overwatch influence in the hair. The face seems to have more softness and detail than I would generally expect from an overwatch style, where they tend to chisel the planes a bit more.

I'm not sure how much of an influence you are aiming for though. Are there other styles you are considering, or are you trying to push this as close to the OW style as possible?

• nervenerve Registered User regular
    I'm not necessarily going for an exact OW look, but just about anything along the lines of that type of stylized look - OW, Valorant, Heroes of the Storm, etc. This is my first character sculpt and I used a variety of references while making it. I didn't feel like it quite matched up with what I want but couldn't pinpoint what it was. I will try to make everything less soft looking and see if I can get it closer to what I want.

Thanks for the input!

• CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular
    I think one good thing to keep in mind is the difference between polygons, planes and curved planes.
    A classic example is the Lamborghini Countach. Go and look at it; do you see all of the straight planes? Nope! It's full of subtle curves, that together give a very polygonic look, but allow for a lot of subtlety.
    Think of how you'd build your character from paper. Are there any strong curved planes you'd want to do in one sweep, to emphasise the shape? What about the intersections? Any lines you'd want to show up as shadows?

That is an interesting observation. Thanks for the tip!

It has been a while but I finally had time to begin making adjustments on the character (I got a new job and have been working on props for the game when I have some free time).

I think the face is getting closer to what I want but any feedback there would definitely be appreciated. I cleaned up the hair by sculpting it more, but I think if I want to get the sharp stylized look I will just need to remake the low poly mesh from the ground up to better match the style before sculpting.

u1hmrxwncwx0.png

Alrighty! Here he is with more stylized hair. I think this is about as close as I will get. Thanks again to @Iruka and @Cornucopiist for the tips!

to7jcvbf32i0.png

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Has a real quintessential action hero look to it. Keep it up!

Thank you! I'm going to use it as the player model for now since it is the only one I have, but I'll probably turn him into a city guard member.