As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy [Cobra Kai] (open spoilers)

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Finished season 3! I wonder if season 4 is going to show any fallout for literal breaking and entering, assault, etc.

I really liked the guest appearances from the movies. I hope we get more of Chozen in the future, although I suspect we won't.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Finished season 3! I wonder if season 4 is going to show any fallout for literal breaking and entering, assault, etc.

I really liked the guest appearances from the movies. I hope we get more of Chozen in the future, although I suspect we won't.

The huge negative effect that the season 2 finale had on the Larussos' business, along with how negative the public and school administration seemed to be towards them and Sam, gives them a decent incentive in the show to sweep the home invasion under the carpet and work on settling things themselves.

Not something anyone should be doing in reality, but I'd expect them to let it go in the show.

• Options
    PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Just finished the season 10 minutes ago!

No fight with Johnny and Daniel vs Kreese?
    Awww

The B&E into Daniel's house... so dumb.... & a fun way to destroy that set?

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Yeah I have to imagine it's fun for the actors to just flat out destroy some of these sets.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Just finished the season 10 minutes ago!

No fight with Johnny and Daniel vs Kreese?
    Awww

The B&E into Daniel's house... so dumb.... & a fun way to destroy that set?

...are you sure you watched the whole last episode?

• Options
    edited January 2021
    : 0 did I somehow miss a good fight?
    Should I rewatch?
    (Looking for excuses to take a break from work X )

Edit: I meant that I wish we saw Johnny and Daniel in tandem fighting Kreese instead of getting interrupted by Miguel
    (if there's a post-credits scene w this, pls let me know)

PirateQueen on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    : 0 did I somehow miss a good fight?
    Should I rewatch?
    (Looking for excuses to take a break from work X )

Edit: I meant that I wish we saw Johnny and Daniel in tandem fighting Kreese instead of getting interrupted by Miguel
    (if there's a post-credits scene w this, pls let me know)

Krease can't even beat Johnny by himself without an ambush.

The thing that makes him scary is his manipulation.

• Options
    So if Miyago Do people are trained not to strike first, then how do their practice matches even happen?

• Options

For sure - I just wanted to see an awesome choreographed fight between the tree of them : D
    So if Miyago Do people are trained not to strike first, then how do their practice matches even happen?

A complex and paradoxical time loop?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Both students close their eyes, the instructor punches one in the face, match is on.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Both students close their eyes, the instructor punches one in the face, match is on.

yeah but IF The Next Karate Kid ends up being canon then Miyagi can catch arrows and knows how to fight blindfolded.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

For sure - I just wanted to see an awesome choreographed fight between the tree of them : D

Martin Kove is 74, and the botox is doing a lot of work to make anything with him feel actually viable. They're working their asses off to only show Kreese from behind in fight scenes since they have a really obvious stunt double doing everything except for a few close-ups and reactions. The season 3 finale was already seriously pushing the limits of what they can do while working within those limitations.

• Options
    Look - I've watched and enjoyed movies like the Room where actors randomly change midway (or the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, to give a more positive example)

I want Kreese to be Cohen the Barbarian
    Seeing a stunt double that doesn't pass for Martin Kove doesn't bother me at all!
    Though, I can see how it could be jarring to other viewers & get why they decided to film Kreese from behind...

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

They don't do practice matches, they wax cars and paint fences all the way up to the tournament. They deal with real life attempted murders all the time, though, which will keep you in tip top fighting form.

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Thing I learned today: the actor that played Terry Silver in Karate Kid 3, Thomas Ian Griffith, is one year younger than Ralph Macchio.

• Options
    So it's obvious that Johnny is going to have to learn more about Miyagi Do inner peace in season 4 in order to keep growing, but it would be interesting to see if Danny is pushed to learn more about Cobra Kai style fighting.

Because Danny's fighting style is basically an incomplete Mr. Miyagi, rather than really finding his own path. We've seen moments throughout the series where he's had a hard time controlling his anger, which means he can't be Mr. Miyagi no matter how hard he tries. He might have admired the man, but he's not the same person.

Obviously his attempts to learn Cobra Kai style fighting in the third movie don't count, but it might be part of his resistance that he needs to move past, especially if Terry Silver is making a return.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    https://youtu.be/TAtd2r49wFw
    Oh I didn’t know this was really old, but I still laughed

Neco on
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/TAtd2r49wFw
    Oh I didn’t know this was really old, but I still laughed

Is that a soundalike version of "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story"?

• Options
    The disappointing part of having your entire season come out in 1 block is that it doesn't build momentum for conversation.

I'll see you all again in 11 months!

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    All caught up. I think I hate everyone in this show now, except for Carmen.

And as I've said before, I hate streaming shows that end a season in cliffhangers.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    A Pat Morita documentary is coming out next month on streaming services. I'm extra excited to see this. Morita sounded like a fascinating person who dealt with a lot in his life.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I think a lot of people, especially outside the US, associate him with Karate Kid (of course), and are expecting him to be/talk a certain way, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoBeHY1Rvs0

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I vividly remember him in another movie playing a cop and another cop giving him hell for not knowing karate.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Watching that video all I could think was, "Man, he talks so like a Californian", so I looked him up and sure enough...

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    The pressure point stuff weirded me out at first, but it's really just the crane technique part deux. The show has actually been pretty consistent about all the interations between people from the original movies to center around a very similar tone to the original movies.

Javen on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    I think a lot of people, especially outside the US, associate him with Karate Kid (of course), and are expecting him to be/talk a certain way, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoBeHY1Rvs0

I did until it was pointed out to me that he was on M.A.S.H. and then the lightbulb lit up

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/mzGnVADfKWk

Good stuff here.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    That’s one of their better ones.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Finally finished season three and what the every loving fuck!

Good Lord when they threw that kid through the window to start the Larusso House fight?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    It was like they decided to reenact the Simpsons bit where Ralph gets yeeted through the window

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Good Lord when they threw that kid through the window to start the Larusso House fight?

That scene mostly just made me curious how there's gonna be a big dramatic tournament when every Cobra Kai student is gonna be in jail pending multiple felony charges :P

• Options

That scene mostly just made me curious how there's gonna be a big dramatic tournament when every Cobra Kai student is gonna be in jail pending multiple felony charges :P

Also I'm not sure what's going on because Miyagi Eagle Fang Karate outnumbers Cobra Kai by like three to one.

The only change I would make to Episode 10 is Amanda should have been there to fight Kreese. There's no world where she would have just sat home in the destruction of her home while Daniel went to fight.

Using Elizabeth Shue to close the door on the past was really really well done too.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

Well both sides are now notorious as weird karate gangs for starting shit at the mall and the school, plus the homeowner is involved with it, so how can the cops be positive that this wasn't Daniel LaRusso and/or his students luring the Cobra Kai students into a trap as part of their bizarre fued? Daniel LaRusso's star pupil kicked a kid off a balcony and put him in a coma, after all. Plus, Johnny's students were involved, and Johnny himself isn't exactly a paragon of the community.

I imagine the next season will begin with the fallout from this, like how this season began with the fallout from the school fight.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Well both sides are now notorious as weird karate gangs for starting shit at the mall and the school, plus the homeowner is involved with it, so how can the cops be positive that this wasn't Daniel LaRusso and/or his students luring the Cobra Kai students into a trap as part of their bizarre fued? Daniel LaRusso's star pupil kicked a kid off a balcony and put him in a coma, after all. Plus, Johnny's students were involved, and Johnny himself isn't exactly a paragon of the community.

I imagine the next season will begin with the fallout from this, like how this season began with the fallout from the school fight.

I'm not sure a defense of "They lured us there so we could destroy their house" would hold up very well in court.

But I mean the real answer is this show only has a very casual relation to reality :P

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular

I'm not sure a defense of "They lured us there so we could destroy their house" would hold up very well in court.

But I mean the real answer is this show only has a very casual relation to reality :P

Oh, no, the defense would be "They lured us to their own turf to ambush us, and in the process the house was damaged."

Then Daniel LaRusso would be asked why he didn't immediately go the police and he would reply "Kreese was straight-up ready to commit murder, but we decided to handle this at the Tournament instead."

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

Oh, no, the defense would be "They lured us to their own turf to ambush us, and in the process the house was damaged."

Then Daniel LaRusso would be asked why he didn't immediately go the police and he would reply "Kreese was straight-up ready to commit murder, but we decided to handle this at the Tournament instead."

Rich white girl accuses a bunch of poor and minority children of home invasion. I would be shocked if all the Cobra Kai students survived being arrested to be honest. Real world has this going absolutely horrifically for Cobra Kai students and probably Miguel if I am being honest. We already saw this established in universe as well when the only kids meaningfully punished for their part in the karate riots were the two poorest students.

Gnizmo on
  • Options
    a nu start wrote: »
    Rich white girl accuses a bunch of poor and minority children of home invasion. I would be shocked if all the Cobra Kai students survived being arrested to be honest. Real world has this going absolutely horrifically for Cobra Kai students and probably Miguel if I am being honest. We already saw this established in universe as well when the only kids meaningfully punished for their part in the karate riots were the two poorest students.

Yeah, but on the other hand, Terry Silver.

Next season, all the Miyagi Fang kids die from radiation poisoning.

• Options
    I'm 50/50 on how next season is gonna go

I'm guessing at some point there's going to be a footloose esque "zero tolerance" policy on Karate.

OR

A THIRD GYM appears, with Mike from KKIII now as an MMA trainer.

• Options
    Cobra Kai exists in a weird Karate Universe, but even with that I think the show needs to wrap up with season four

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    It's utterly dependent on what you are looking for from the show. If you are looking for something that mirrors the real world, with some karate sprinkled in, absolutely. If you are looking for these characters, then hoo boy, let's keep going a while. There is still at least 1-2 more seasons that can be drawn out of Johnny and Danny's characters, at LEAST. Robbie and Hawk for sure as well.

You don't NEED the escalating karate war to get there, it's just fun.