As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] Here comes the Smolder

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    11.1 can't come soon enough.

when i've been actually doing well, have like 6 kills and a bunch of farm at 20 minutes, and i back and i'm still like 700g away from runaans i want to alt f4. the 3400g cost is bad enough, but the combine being like 1175 was a real choice.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Yeah I have ~100 on my old account and about 13 on the new one. Might be best just to suck it up getting raged at for a few hours.

Play ranked? That's probably the best solution, to be honest.

Although, you'll get raged at if you have a bad game regardless, and accepted if you have a good game, so just /muteall until you want to face it.

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Tristana is super good right now FYI folks

HoB+lifesteal for runes, Kraken->Stormrazor-> I.E. and giggle your butt off when that Kha'zix jumps you and gets exploded for it.

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    How often events are appearing? I have 25 Prestige Points and I wonder if I can get 100 of them to get some Prestige Skin from shop before May and reset of the system.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    11.1 can't come soon enough.

when i've been actually doing well, have like 6 kills and a bunch of farm at 20 minutes, and i back and i'm still like 700g away from runaans i want to alt f4. the 3400g cost is bad enough, but the combine being like 1175 was a real choice.

literally every time I open league I ask my friends if the Runaan's change is in yet and I'm sad every time

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Asthariel wrote: »
    How often events are appearing? I have 25 Prestige Points and I wonder if I can get 100 of them to get some Prestige Skin from shop before May and reset of the system.

Every month-ish. There should be at least 3 events between now and then if you want my opinion. There'll definitely be a Lunar New Year one soon.

Me elsewhere:
    My wife recently started playing, so I started a new account with her.
    I hesitate to call it smurf because I'm garbage who dorks around in Normals and barely even does his placements.
    The tutorial is still pretty barebones, but the new shop helps a ton. It's faaaaar better than the old Thornmail Ashe one.
    You do get a good number and variety of champions to choose from as you level, and BE comes fast.
    I don't know if it's because we duo or (and) because I'm not brand new, but we get a lot of smurfs, and they are way better than me. Yone in particular seems to be a popular vessel currently.
    All in all, way better new player intro than I remembered, still a bit barebones, much more generous with champs, smurfs still a problem.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    jpy4lrp3ox5w.png

I have being Lilia 1 tricking for like a week this is so much fun.

https://blitz.gg/lol/match/euw1/Doenamite Dame/5014655068

Games like this literally happen daily.

z3oo96n4bltk.png
    oh glorious day

aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited January 2021
    If you care about the livestream spoilers
    Viego can apparently possess any champs on kill. Edit: Actually Ross Boomsocks has an ability reveal video, so sub that in (it's his passive):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0SpzaoiTF0

Next three champs are tied into him as well: a sewing-related top-lane magic damage skirmisher (Isolde, his wife, is a seamstress in his bio, so it's her), a gloomy artillery Yordle who hates Bandle City (I would imagine Norra, Yuumi's owner, is a decent possibility), and a Sentinel of Light ADC (though in a non-traditional position).

The rumored VGU poll from the teaser was spot-on: Shyv, Nocturne, Udyr, Quinn, and Skarner.

Good luck to all in the new season!

Edit: Until others comment, I may update this with links of stuff that interests me from today. Mundo VGU update:

https://euw.leagueoflegends.com/en-gb/news/dev/dev-the-latest-on-dr-mundo-s-vgu/

I really like Rageborn becoming part of the Rift Quest line, though...it doesn't make him look any less like a Fel Orc.

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Ivellius wrote: »
    If you care about the livestream spoilers
    Viego can apparently possess any champs on kill. Edit: Actually Ross Boomsocks has an ability reveal video, so sub that in (it's his passive):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0SpzaoiTF0

Next three champs are tied into him as well: a sewing-related top-lane magic damage skirmisher (I'll assume his wife), a gloomy Yordle who hates Bandle City, and a Sentinel of Light ADC (though in a non-traditional position).

The rumored VGU poll from the teaser was spot-on: Shyv, Nocturne, Udyr, Quinn, and Skarner.

Good luck to all in the new season!

Edit: Until others comment, I may update this with links of stuff that interests me from today. Mundo VGU update:

https://euw.leagueoflegends.com/en-gb/news/dev/dev-the-latest-on-dr-mundo-s-vgu/

I really like Rageborn becoming part of the Rift Quest line, though...it doesn't make him look any less like a Fel Orc.

Omg this is so hype

1. The ruined king is hot; I approve. Riot’s been good at making pretty men lately :D
    2. I am incredibly excited for a sewing-themed champion! How delightful
    3. I’m down for another artillery mage; that’s my favorite kind of midlaner
    4. I’m also down for any sort of adc anywhere

This is all good hooray!
    Let’s get to plat this year!

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    The season cinematic is also aces. I’m glad they’re playing with the lore more than in years past because there is such good stuff there.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
    In the client we can also vote for next champion rework and the skin line.

I voted for Shyvana and Debonair 2.0.

Also, splash art for next Fiora skin (which will get Prestige version during event) was shown:
    xrg5yhdc2v9j.png

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Penumbra wrote: »
    The season cinematic is also aces. I’m glad they’re playing with the lore more than in years past because there is such good stuff there.

I didn’t get part of it

It looked like the ruined king stole senna’s soul, and senna said at the end “we have to go back for her”

Who? Her own soul?

• SproutSprout Registered User regular

I didn’t get part of it

It looked like the ruined king stole senna’s soul, and senna said at the end “we have to go back for her”

Who? Her own soul?

The soul of Viego's wife has been linked to Senna for a while. That's the soul he yanked.

Sprout wrote: »

I didn’t get part of it

Who? Her own soul?

The soul of Viego's wife has been linked to Senna for a while. That's the soul he yanked.

huh I did not understand that at all; how do you already know about Viego and his wife? Where is that from?

I suppose I tend not to read the lore so if it was in some short story about Senna it easily could have passed me by.

Viego looks fantastic. The lore, the design, the abilities, he pretty much hits the mark. Paired with the cinematic? Unf. I also really liked the Wild Rift yordle cinematic.

My wife is a Lux collector. She's stoked for that new Jet Set Radio Space Station Dance whatever looking skin. Lux is an expensive hobby.

The Ranked changes look great! Go for gold? Yeah, going for gold.

Tristana continues to carry me, so I'm probably looking at maining her, with MF secondary and Xayah pocket.

Man, I'm excited for this season.

edited January 2021
    credeiki wrote: »
    huh I did not understand that at all; how do you already know about Viego and his wife? Where is that from?

I suppose I tend not to read the lore so if it was in some short story about Senna it easily could have passed me by.

The story about Senna and Isolde hit...yesterday? It might've been Wednesday. It happens right before the cinematic, as best I can tell. Short version: Isolde found young Senna while she was exploring a shipwreck, and she's the lifeforce that has kept the Harrowing ghosts constantly seeking her.

https://universe.leagueoflegends.com/en_US/story/redeemed/

Edit: Also, Viego's VO is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HTMf06nlvc

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
    Ok I've started ranked placements! I didn't play too much in preseason so I feel like I'm still getting used to everything. I had been building eclipse on Jhin but honestly idk if that's what I really want; for this game--into Poppy, Udyr, Ekko, Yuumi, and Kai'sa--I decided to go with the lifesteal item, so I could get to my crit faster. And because who cares about lethality when the tanks are gonna have approximately 2 million armor each.
    Fortunately, on my team, Blitzcrank, Trundle, and Singed all peeled for me! every time someone was on me, I could shoot at them, lifesteal, and kite back, and then Singed would run up and flip em away. It felt great! And we won, which is a good omen for the new season :D

Winning my first placement put me at provisional rank S2 50 LP, and I ended last season something like G2 50 LP. So I think the resets are, as they said, smaller this time around. And the range of skill levels on the teams also felt smaller than usual for beginning of season placements.

edited January 2021
    I'm jealous. I want to be placing. Instead, I am on a very slow route day with not much to think about other than stupid meme-y team comps

Team 1v1 Me Bro:
    Shen
    Karthus
    Twisted Fate
    Senna
    Soraka

Team My Horse Is Amazing:
    Kled
    Hecarim
    Nunu
    Rell

Team Watch Your Step:
    Teemo
    Nidalee
    Caitlyn

Team Press Shift to Read Paragraph:
    Yone
    Lillia
    Yasuo
    Samira
    Thresh

Team Ban Rate:
    Darius
    Graves
    Zed
    Samira
    Morgana

Team Wait Who?:
    Trundle
    Skarner
    Aurelion Sol
    Corki
    Taric

R-dem on
    Jhin wants gale force these days. Abuse it while you can lol.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited January 2021
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Jhin wants gale force these days. Abuse it while you can lol.

There are some situations where I'd consider it but it wouldn't have been correct in that game, which was focused on extended teamfights in which, for most of them, I had to be in relatively close contact with some tanky damage dealers, and then eventually would ult the squishies once a tank was dead--the lifesteal mythic was instrumental in letting me live to win fights (I've played enough Jhin that I know when I will live or die and holy shit there were some moments where I knew I was 100% dead but for the lifesteal and the shield, like I almost just stopped clicking around cause I assumed I'd be dead)

On adcs I feel comfortable on, I build for the situation. Although I did fuck up here building grievous last; blame that on not having played for a couple weeks while playing cyberpunk

https://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/3735972832/203490857?tab=overview

credeiki on
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Battle Queens Tokens: I bought the Event Pass and thought I was working towards the 2200-Token Prestige Points reward. I’m on Milestone 18/20, I have 1500 Tokens, and I see no way to get more. Did I scam myself? The rest of the token shop is boring. :(

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
    My placements are 5-3 and seem determined not to let me out of bronze. Which feels like some real horseshite.

Especially when the wins tend to look like this: https://blitz.gg/lol/match/euw1/Doenamite Dame/5022053171

Sorry for not literally S ranking every game riot.

edited January 2021
    Is it weird if I want to play top lane more? Having heard about some strange builds (I really want to play tank Kog'maw) and thinking about the champion pool up there makes the idea sound enticing...seriously considering running more Flex as "Fill," though I don't care much for mid lane and not really ADC.

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    So the thing with Battle Queens I guess is you get points for each PVP game. I spent the month chilling in bots with my BF. I had no idea there were points per match available, I thought I was doing it right by following the missions tab. I hate the League frontend and rewards designs. I guess I just get skin shards on this one.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
    Ivellius wrote: »
    Is it weird if I want to play top lane more? Having heard about some strange builds (I really want to play tank Kog'maw) and thinking about the champion pool up there makes the idea sound enticing...seriously considering running more Flex as "Fill," though I don't care much for mid lane and not really ADC.

If you want to play top lane in order to play Tank Kog'maw...

;_;

(but yes, you should! I think that you as a player value having a diverse champion pool and toplane will give you access to a lot of characters you don't usually get to play and will increase the fun you have)

I played my first ranked game this season.

As demands the tradition, two of my teammates seemed confused not only of what characters they were playing, but what League of Legends even is, and what is the concept of video game itself.

So, that was not fun.

i just got a runaans at 15 minutes.

i missed you so much cheap rh.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited January 2021
    jinx is currently the D tier on lolalytics, 4th from the bottom on gold+, and imo i'm having the most fun on her since preseason, and i have a positive winrate for the first time.

bringing down the cost of runaans hurricane is that huge. idk why her winrate dropped after 11.1 (not that it was stellar, but it is worse), but at least for a lunatic who accidentally became a onetrick on a quote unquote bad champ like me, i actually feel useful sometimes.

i still prefer the old buildpath of IE -> boots -> RH -> RFC because that core is jinx to me, but Kraken/Galeforce -> boots -> RH -> IE is fairly effective now after all the changes, even if you don't get that devastating rocket poke you used to get and have to use a lot more Ws when teamfight posturing.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    played my first 2 summoners rift games in.... a long time.

Crazy how to some extent - nothing changes and just not tilting is the true OP strat.

I went 3-7 during placements sigh (ended silver 1)
    Some of these games were just...not winnable...

One of the three wins, inexplicably, was me playing support Zyra for an autofilled adc who locked in Vayne because (in response to my rejected offers to trade roles and ok, well, we can still make this work, just play caitlyn or MF so it's easy) 'I only own Vayne and Ezreal'

Sometimes it's confusing to me how I win something like that but then in a game where I'm happily winning my lane and playing my comfort champion and doing a lot of damage in teamfights, it's just...impossible. Oh well! I'll just spam a lot of games and sharpen my game sense (I'm definitely not making optimal decisions and that's on me) and see if I can climb.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Yeah placements have been wonky. I either go 18/1 and win the game single handedly, or go even in lane as the rest of the map gets run over. There's no middle ground. And some of these players definitely seem like they've never been on Summoners Rift before

I love how, after all these years, you can still utterly warp a game as Soraka. She's getting buffs in 11.2 too!

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    i played my first game in like YEARS. went 2/1/8 with nami and we won. I got A rank, which i guess means the system pretty much grades you on how bad your team snowballed? Our warwick carried the early game pretty hard though.

I feel like the new (to me) item shop is so much harder to find stuff in. everything is tucked under submenus it feels like.

Also i have no idea wtf is going on with loot and shards...

The recommended page is pretty good tbh. I almost never have to go off that tab since it’s updated using what people actually buy on the champ you’re playing.

The grade system is basically just scoring you based on how you did compared to other players who played that champ in that role. For support, if you have a high kda and secure a kill or three, and have good vision, you’ll get graded well. It’s not a super complex rating, adcs it’s like 50 percent kda and 50 percent cs.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited January 2021
    This game is actually making me feel depressed when im playing, so I guess it is time to uninstall it again?

I lost something like 75 % of games during last 7 days. I just want to have First Day Win, so I pick Normal game and one of my favourite characters that I did not play yet since returning, which is Poppy.

My lane opponent is lower level than me, plus he picked Yasuo, which Poppy hard counters. Easy game?

No, I am getting absolutely anihilated, 0/4 in 10 minutes, while Yasuo is 4/0 and has more than 100 farm already.

Either this is smurf, which means my every game can just be ruined by someone like that and there is nothing I can do about it, or this was just a normal player, and I am just that pathetic, in which case it's better if I just give up again already.

Asthariel on
    Asthariel wrote: »
    This game is actually making me feel depressed when im playing, so I guess it is time to uninstall it again?

I lost something like 75 % of games during last 7 days. I just want to have First Day Win, so I pick Normal game and one of my favourite characters that I did not play yet since returning, which is Poppy.

My lane opponent is lower level than me, plus he picked Yasuo, which Poppy hard counters. Easy game?

No, I am getting absolutely anihilated, 0/4 in 10 minutes, while Yasuo is 4/0 and has more than 100 farm already.

Either this is smurf, which means my every game can just be ruined by someone like that and there is nothing I can do about it, or this was just a normal player, and I am just that pathetic, in which case it's better if I just give up again already.

It's unfortunate and frustrating but I've found the best answer to League is to genuinely just actively cultivate a mentality around learning rather than any individual games performance.

You lost hard to someone, doesn't matter if they were a smurf or not, what matters is staying aware enough to learn and enjoy that.

the one thing about playing tanks that you can always lean on is that your value isn't that dependent on gold. sure he can get a lot of farm because it's so easy for yasuo to push and cs, but you can basically concede most cs and still "win" lane as long as you get the xp and don't die. learning when it's ok to just concede for later is a good lesson.

once you get a sunfire you probably beat the pants off of him if the lane is 0/0/0 no matter how much cs he has, so it can be good to learn that passive behavior.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Also poppy isn't a hard counter to yasuo. You can't hit him with q unless you combo it with w, which us a long cooldown. Si it settles into auto attack trades, which favors him and he gets a free shield, and he can negate your passive with windwall so you dont get a shield.

But overall, either all in them at 2 with ignite and wallstun or sit back for some items.