As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Safety bar squats felt really good today, but I think I warmed up more completely.

SSB 5x70, 5x100x 5x120, 3x140, 3x2x160
    Sumo deads 5x70, 5x110, 3x5x150

Leg press / leg curl / leg extension superset 3x12 this felt glorious and looking forward to working that in more.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    Bench 8x70,80,90 5x110,130 2x3x140 9x120 s/s DB rows x5’s across

Military press 3x8x50 s/s chins 3x4

EZ Bar curls 3x10 s/s dips 3x10 s/sDB shrugs 3x15

Also started wearing those goofy bear foot shoes that Chris Duffin partnered up with. They’re very comfortable, walked the dog twice in them and wore them at work and working out today. I am hoping they hold up for quite some time!

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Rest day today. This sucks.

Rest days are just an opportunity to roll out, stretch, hydrate, eat appropriately and nap.

Take the time you were going to workout and do something with it. Or read or whatever floats your boat.

That’s what I would do. Although there is a better chance I read or nap than anything else.

SSB 5x80, 100, 130, 130, 130 1x150 w/ 5 count pause s/s box jumps x3 each set

Sumo deadlift 5x70, 110, 150 3x190, 3x200, 3x190 then 5x190 conventional to remember what that’s like

Single leg squat to bench from 4” deficit 3x5each s/s glute ham raises 3x8 s/s seated band abductions 3x12

Rest days are just an opportunity to roll out, stretch, hydrate, eat appropriately and nap.

Take the time you were going to workout and do something with it. Or read or whatever floats your boat.

That’s what I would do. Although there is a better chance I read or nap than anything else.

The trouble is that with full national lockdown I am really bored and I don't feel sore. I feel like I could workout. But if I did I know I wouldn't exert properly so it wouldn't be useful. I think it's fair to say that I'm just largely a bit bored and physically constrained at home

Solar wrote: »

The trouble is that with full national lockdown I am really bored and I don't feel sore. I feel like I could workout. But if I did I know I wouldn't exert properly so it wouldn't be useful. I think it's fair to say that I'm just largely a bit bored and physically constrained at home

Ah, that will do it. That sucks, man.

• HereticAstartesHereticAstartes Registered User regular
    I'm a sucker for zero drop shoes. I'm definitely gonna snag a pair of the bearfoots when they come back in stock.

I'm a sucker for zero drop shoes. I'm definitely gonna snag a pair of the bearfoots when they come back in stock.

I never realized how much I would like them. They are comfortable for just cruising around and working out.

Walking the dog is more challenging (I believe I still need to get used to them) because it’s hilly and still some construction going on in the neighborhood, so lots of debris but that just toughens your foot up more, right?

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I wonder if I should do something about this ever-present shoulder impingement pain

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    Yes, you should.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I got my new Titan bar yesterday (this here one) and it's pretty sweet but strictly for accessories/warm up. I worked up to 185x3 at the start of my bench workout, my thoughts are below:
    -the grips are slightly fatter than a regular barbell, which you wouldn't think would make a difference but I don't have the world's biggest hands and it really did make a difference for me as the weight crept up.
    -The powder coating is super slick, plates slide on and off really easily, which is nice. I'm not used to it and it meant I put collars on sooner than I might have otherwise.
    -Speaking of which, you probably want bitey clampey collars for it. I'm not sure that the super basic wire ones that you sort of squeeze to get on would work.
    -It's an interesting test of wrist stability, I was wobbling around a little in a way I didn't expect. Some of that is probably just getting used to it.
    -I guess it's worth saying that it feels super solid. Titan's stuff doesn't have the prettiest welds but you can't beat it for the money.

I'm looking forward to overhead pressing and rowing with it very much, I'll report back if either of those things is noteworthy. Also bench continues to go strangely well, I hit 200 (lbs) for 10 today and that was unexpected and very cool.

Peen on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Yes, you should.

Any recommendations for a shoulder health/rehab routine?

It’s been with me a long time in my left shoulder, usually pretty minor but with flare ups (like right now). Front of the joint, like an inch above the armpit

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    I've been doing this as a warmup for years, it's pretty solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y_A4xfbGUU

Peen wrote: »
    I got my new Titan bar yesterday (this here one) and it's pretty sweet but strictly for accessories/warm up. I worked up to 185x3 at the start of my bench workout, my thoughts are below:
    -the grips are slightly fatter than a regular barbell, which you wouldn't think would make a difference but I don't have the world's biggest hands and it really did make a difference for me as the weight crept up.
    -The powder coating is super slick, plates slide on and off really easily, which is nice. I'm not used to it and it meant I put collars on sooner than I might have otherwise.
    -Speaking of which, you probably want bitey clampey collars for it. I'm not sure that the super basic wire ones that you sort of squeeze to get on would work.
    -It's an interesting test of wrist stability, I was wobbling around a little in a way I didn't expect. Some of that is probably just getting used to it.
    -I guess it's worth saying that it feels super solid. Titan's stuff doesn't have the prettiest welds but you can't beat it for the money.

I'm looking forward to overhead pressing and rowing with it very much, I'll report back if either of those things is noteworthy. Also bench continues to go strangely well, I hit 200 (lbs) for 10 today and that was unexpected and very cool.

You aren’t relegated to warmup and accessories with that bar. You can throw some grip tape on the handles. Yeah, you may not be able to lift as much on it now, but train with it for a while and you’ll be able to push it.

Row variations are fun, plus curls.

I mean sure, I'm going to keep pushing it and the grips are knurled so literally holding it isn't the issue, I just don't feel like I'm as strong on it as regular barbell bench and I'm not going to rewind the progress I'm making just to switch bars. It's going to be my primary overhead bar and I'm really looking forward to getting press work in again.

Yes, you should.

Any recommendations for a shoulder health/rehab routine?

It’s been with me a long time in my left shoulder, usually pretty minor but with flare ups (like right now). Front of the joint, like an inch above the armpit

Haven’t watched Peen’s video, but I would say consistently lacrosse ball your rear delt and traps, as well as stretch/roll your lats, and lax ball your pecs.

As far as your specific issue and specific treatment, idk, banded shoulder internal/external rotations, facepulls, pull-aparts, or anything else tolerated.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Anyone have advice for dealing with handling a lot of barbells/weights with knurling textures on their surfaces & the callousing/pinching of the palms/fingers that somewhat follow? I'm assuming its just worse right now in general due to my hands being dryer due to the winter climate, but it's getting uncomfortable towards the end of workouts lately.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • GorkGork Registered User regular
    I mean sure, I'm going to keep pushing it and the grips are knurled so literally holding it isn't the issue, I just don't feel like I'm as strong on it as regular barbell bench and I'm not going to rewind the progress I'm making just to switch bars. It's going to be my primary overhead bar and I'm really looking forward to getting press work in again.

Lift variations carry over to main lifts and are sometimes a good way to bust plateaus. As long as you’re still challenging yourself, there’s nothing wrong with dropping weight to focus on a variation. I definitely don’t bench as much on my camber bar, either.

Yeah, but effort is effort. If the grip bar is a bitch, and you push it, it’s gonna carry over to the barbell bench. Won’t screw up your progress any.

But then again I’m not the person to talk to about bench because it’s relative garbage because I never fucking prioritize it. Which is stupid because I wanna hit big numbers, just get stuck in the “yeah fuck it” mindset.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular

I use the EliteFTS equivalent for curl drop sets. Start with the outside grip and work your way in the center.

Today it's rowing and some arm work so yeah, that curl drop set is a great idea. Thanks Kak. I'm also looking forward to doing tricep extensions with it. If I don't bench 315 by the end of the year I'll be pretty irritated, it's a perfectly reasonable goal and I should be able to get there.

Now if the pandemic could end so people go back to gyms and sell their stuff and I can get some cheap plates that'd be great, I really do need like 4 more 45s.

I don’t think people will be heading back if they invested in a set up.

SSB 5x80, 5x110, 5x130, 3x150, 3x2x190, backoff 7x150 first 4 sets s/s with box jumps x3

Sumo DL 5x60, 100, 140, 3x5x160

Leg press 4x15 s/s leg ext 4 x12 s/s leg curl 4x12

Well I blew up the quads that’s for sure.

Bench 5x70, 5x100, 5x120, 3x5x140 s/s neutral grip lat pulldowns 6x10 increasing each set, finished at 180 with good pauses at the chest on each rep.

Pushups 4x12 s/s hanging knee raises 4x12

DB curls, rear delt raises, tricep cable pushdowns 3x8/8/20.

Wanted to push bench heavy, wanted to keep elbow somewhat tolerable so no chin-ups, pull-ups, or dips today.

Starting month two of Calgary Barbell; I think I was too hasty about handing out mouth hugs.

Comp squat; 3 x 3 @ 330, 2 x 5 @ 280
    Pause bench; 4 x 3 @ 230, 2 x 5 @ 195

Great. Fun. Love it.

Romanians; 4 x 9 @ 335 with 90 seconds of rest between sets

What the fuck. Did I kill your entire family and piss on their graves?!?!?

Not cool.

Respect the heavy RDL’s

I can't row my new bar, it's too tall and hits my knees and I can't get in a good position. I might have to make some blocks and seal row it or something, I can't abide a gym tool that I can't row.

Pendlay rows with an extreme hinge?

Going to start adding weight to my push-ups after the success adding it to my pull-ups. Have people had experience with that, what kind of weight addition were they looking at? I am guessing that due to the foot support you can actually engage a lot more weight on a push-up than a pull-up but not really sure.

• AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    I've been wearing a backpack full of water bottles while doing pushups during lockdown. Filled up it's about 10kg. I also have a heavy band I've been using to make them more difficult.

I'm terrible at pullups, so I use the band to help assist me for additional reps once I've burned out doing them normally.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    Weighted pack/vest, plate directly on the back, bands across the shoulders, chains over the shoulders.

Elevating your legs will also increase difficulty.

Pendlay rows with an extreme hinge?

Yeah I'll do some of those too but you can't load that as heavy and I love dummy heavy rows. It's disappointing!

And yeah one of the easiest ways to make push ups harder is elevate your feet, you can do mechanical drop sets where you have your feet up high and as you fatigue lower your feet and keep going.

Weighted pack/vest, plate directly on the back, bands across the shoulders, chains over the shoulders.

Elevating your legs will also increase difficulty.

Middle of the upper back, alright. I'll try 10% bodyweight tomorrow and see how that goes.

Workout two back to mostly fun.

Deads; 3 x 3 @ 375, 2 x 5 @ 320
    Bench with a two second pause; 3 x 4 @ 255
    Squat; 2 x 5 @ 265
    Incline row lying on a bench with cambered multigrip; 4 x 10
    And five sets of tricep rope push downs.

No complaints about this one but I see heavy two second floor pause deads lurking later this week. No bueno.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Going to start adding weight to my push-ups after the success adding it to my pull-ups. Have people had experience with that, what kind of weight addition were they looking at? I am guessing that due to the foot support you can actually engage a lot more weight on a push-up than a pull-up but not really sure.

Honestly instead of adding weight I'd try to do some of the more challenging styles of pushups. Wide grip, diamond, elevated feet. You could work your way up to handstand push ups, or dragon push ups? I cant remember exactly what they are called.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    They’re pushups, do whatever style and added resistance as required.

I currently do six sets, regular (fingers at 12), fingers angled out (10 and 2), diamond, wide, one with the left hand higher and the right lower, and one opposing. And I do 12 per set with a minute's rest.

So my thinking is probably that actually that's relatively comprehensive in terms of groups targeted, and I'm pretty happy with being able to do that number, but adding weight and doing two minute rests and potentially ranging myself to, say, enough weight that I can do 8 but would struggle with ten? I dunno how many my max reps are. Definitely over 25. But pull-ups with weight feel great so I'd love to put them into my push-ups too. I'll start with 20% and go from there.

I’ve always figured that when you’re doing a standard push-up you’re maybe pushing at most 60% of your bodyweight. If you only trained at 60% and 12+ reps for a movement, that’s muscular endurance, which jives with every single publication that classifies push-up tests as muscular endurance tests.

So I think like anything else loading it and changing the range of motion is a positive way to continue SAID and progressive overload.

Tldr, do what you need to do to get stronger

Muscular endurance is good. I do need that. But I think it's fair to say that I have it to an extent and I need more powerful. I will add weight and rest and potentially try doing it on top of the 6x12

I got a pair of Spud double-ply gateway briefs and I've used them twice now and holy crap these things rule. It's basically a double-ply elastic knee sleeve for your hips and lower back and I've never felt better after squatting than I do now. I used to get nagging aches, probably related to the fact that I sit too much at work and I'm not a young man, and I've felt perfect the day after squatting both times.

Now are they helping me move the weight? Almost certainly, of course, I'm not going to try to say it's a raw squat anymore. But I'm doing this crap to get stronger and be man shaped instead of potato shaped and if a piece of equipment means I can lift more often and not be in pain the next day, I'm using it. I'm not competitive, I don't see myself entering a powerlifting competition anytime soon, and so I'm just not going to sweat it.

Also I look like a big dumb idiot wearing them and that's fun. I can do a more in-depth review if anyone's interested, like with pics (not of me but of the equipment), let me know.

This discussion has been closed.