As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    We call those minovsky particles.

How much cooler would Battletech be if the primary weapons included melee weapons?

edit: Hatchetman eat your heart out

Orca on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Doesn't the Kodiak have bigass spikes on its fists specifically so it can reach out and fuck someone up?

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Doesn't the Kodiak have bigass spikes on its fists specifically so it can reach out and fuck someone up?

Those are unfortunately just decorative.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Those are unfortunately just decorative.
    For fuck's sake Clan Ghost Bear.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Plus in MWO you can retract them like Wolverine.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Shit, I'm so sorry about your dog, @Betsuni.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I thought that was the whole point of mechs like the rifleman?

That's what they wrote in the fluff because that's what the Defender was for in Macross, and it's led to the idea that low caliber ACs are good anti-air weapons in tabletop, but they're really just as bad against air as they are against ground. In the original ground-to-air rules when the Rifleman was statted out, any weapon with range >5 could shoot at fighter craft in the hex; so medium lasers did just as well as AC/5s while weighing a lot less, or you could use SRMs to hunt for lucky hits. Precision rounds were introduced to help, but still didn't make AC/5s good; two medium lasers or SRM2s + heat sinks would still be lighter than an AC/5 with better odds of landing a hit. I think in the current rules you actually do need long range guns since you target the center hex on the map sheet, and altitude is factored in, but I'm pretty sure that just means you'll be better off with LRMs (especially LRM-5s).

Despite what the fluff says, Riflemen aren't actually good at anti-air, and Vulcans aren't great at anti-infantry.

Orogogus on
    Gotta justify the silly weapons fit somehow!

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    We call those minovsky particles.

How much cooler would Battletech be if the primary weapons included melee weapons?

edit: Hatchetman eat your heart out

I appreciate taking a LRM boat like the Catapult and still being able to kick mechs to death.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Is the group a competitive group or can others join? I'm just getting into this and having fun!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      Iolo wrote: »
      Shit, I'm so sorry about your dog, Betsuni.

Thanks. She is still with us so I'm spending more time than I normally would if she was younger.
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Is the group a competitive group or can others join? I'm just getting into this and having fun!

I wish we could add you to the unit. Actually, I can check (or someone else can) and see how much it would cost to invite you.

oosik_betsuni.png
      Oh if I'm just looking for some random games, nothing too serious especially if it involves costs.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular

"competitive group"

*dies of terminal laughter*

Umm, nah. We've got some sharks on the rolls (not those Sharks, though), but the vast, vaaast majority of Oosiks are "We make Stompy Bot go pew pew kablam dakka dakka" caliber teammates.

Anyone that says otherwise is a ROM plant.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
      • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
        Yeah the Oosiks are very much a, "Hold my beer" crowd.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
        edited January 2021
        Oh if I'm just looking for some random games, nothing too serious especially if it involves costs.

Ah yep, you are perfect for an Oosik. Let me check. I forget how to add people to the Unit.

The cost is something that PGI put in to avoid huge Comp Units... It honest just hurts smaller fun Units like ours who we keep everyone in the Unit since PA folk are always welcomed back.

Edit: So looks like we have enough cash in the coffers to add you to the Unit. What's your player name in MWO?

Betsuni on
        oosik_betsuni.png
        If my battlecry is "Hey guys watch this" can I be an Oosik?

• see317see317 Registered User regular

We may have to have you add "Hold my beer" to that, but it sounds like an Oosik to me.

edited January 2021

Being an Oosik is like that thing science discovered where your actions, in the start of their physical execution, were already predicted and acted on by the neurons in your brain before you even started to move or think about the action.

The analog here is that if you were going to say "Hey guys watch this", then you were already an Oosik before you even said it.

Nips on
        JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
        Betsuni wrote: »

Ah yep, you are perfect for an Oosik. Let me check. I forget how to add people to the Unit.

The cost is something that PGI put in to avoid huge Comp Units... It honest just hurts smaller fun Units like ours who we keep everyone in the Unit since PA folk are always welcomed back.

Edit: So looks like we have enough cash in the coffers to add you to the Unit. What's your player name in MWO?

Archpriest

Archpriest

Ok, invite sent. Should see that and a friend request from me.

oosik_betsuni.png

Archpriest

Lookit this man, pushin' the papers.

You keep this up, Bets, and you'll make Junior Grade Paper Shoveler by year's end!

(Luv you, Bets!)

Nips wrote: »

Archpriest

Lookit this man, pushin' the papers.

You keep this up, Bets, and you'll make Junior Grade Paper Shoveler by year's end!

(Luv you, Bets!)

I had a break during the bad playoff game to sneak away to the desktop and toss out the invite.

It honestly is thanks to your generosity donation to the Unit.

oosik_betsuni.png
        • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
          How much does it cost to add a player to the unit? And how do players pay into the unit's coffers?

I play so infrequently I feel like I should pay back the cost to join. That's part of why I never requested to join previously.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
          camo_sig2-400.png
        • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
          I think the last I heard, it was 22mil cbills? Somewhere in that ballpark?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
          How much time does that represent?

edited January 2021
          Orca wrote: »
          How much time does that represent?

Depending on how well a person does and if they have premium time (+50% money) and are piloting a hero mech (+30% cbill payout)...I think the highest payout I've had is around 750k cbills in a match (this is spectacularly good for me). Using that metric, about 30 matches of 8-12 minutes each. So...6-7 hours at the quickest (which includes the downtime while searching for a match)?

Erlkönig on
          | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
          Oof. So doable, but a bit of a commitment.

Okay, I just went back through all my saved screenshots that I renamed to some variation of "Making it rain," "Stackin paper," or "Printing money," and the highest payout I've gotten has been in the 550k-580k cbills (this is with premium time and hero/special mechs). So, add another couple hours or so to the minimum amount of time.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
          Doesn't premium time tick with real-world time, instead of only passing when you are in game? That always bothered me.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
          camo_sig2-400.png
          Erlkönig wrote: »
          I think the last I heard, it was 22mil cbills? Somewhere in that ballpark?

It is now just a bit less than 5 mil to invite an Oosik. Our ledger shows 97 members (98 when TimFiji joins). Honestly I don't see 97 members on the list, but maybe there are.
          H3Knuckles wrote: »
          How much does it cost to add a player to the unit? And how do players pay into the unit's coffers?

I play so infrequently I feel like I should pay back the cost to join. That's part of why I never requested to join previously.

Honestly I hate mentioning the money part of the paperwork since it makes players feel guilty joining or leaving. Just it sucks since we all play so infrequently that I would rather have players put that money into their mechs than the Unit coffers. When I used to play like crazy and had tons from pre-orders and grab bag events I would toss in enough to invite the next Oosik. Since I haven't played much and no more pre-order mech packs I have actually ran my bank account really low. I can invite two more with ease though thanks to the last event.

oosik_betsuni.png
          H3Knuckles wrote: »
          Doesn't premium time tick with real-world time, instead of only passing when you are in game? That always bothered me.

I don't think so anymore. The reason I say that is I had the 14 days free from the code and I still show more than 14 days when I logged in earlier to add TimFiji. Maybe it changed in a recent patch?

oosik_betsuni.png
          Ooo...so the unit pop is low enough that maybe having the Clan offshoot unit can be reunited with the IS unit. An alliance of sorts between the FRR and Ghost Bears, one could say.

So about 10 matches for an invite? That’s pretty reasonable. Enough to be a commitment, but not a crippling one if you’re actively playing.

Ooo...so the unit pop is low enough that maybe having the Clan offshoot unit can be reunited with the IS unit. An alliance of sorts between the FRR and Ghost Bears, one could say.

You want to abandon our IronNips?

oosik_betsuni.png

Listen, "IronNips" was always just a cover, and y'all knew it.

Had to get in good graces with our Bear Dominion overlords of the day, y'know.

But rest assured, "IronNips" will always be there, proudly and rigidly flying the flags of the Ghost Bears and the Iron Oosiks, ready to take to the field when needed.

*wink and double finger guns*

Nips wrote: »

Listen, "IronNips" was always just a cover, and y'all knew it.

Had to get in good graces with our Bear Dominion overlords of the day, y'know.

But rest assured, "IronNips" will always be there, proudly and rigidly flying the flags of the Ghost Bears and the Iron Oosiks, ready to take to the field when needed.

*wink and double finger guns*

I always figured that IronNips was an alter ego of yours. One day we would see an IronNips versus Nips duel to see which one came out victorious and lead the Oosiks and Iron Oosiks to the promised kegs.

oosik_betsuni.png
        • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
          I switched out two UAC10s on my Bushwacker for two RAC5s. Man, I do less damage per engagement, but it feels real good. Until they both jam 5 seconds into a fight, but that's no different than before, you live by the ultras, you die by the ultras.

Glal wrote: »
          I switched out two UAC10s on my Bushwacker for two RAC5s. Man, I do less damage per engagement, but it feels real good. Until they both jam 5 seconds into a fight, but that's no different than before, you live by the ultras, you die by the ultras.
          Yeah my current Bushwacker used to have two RAC/5s as well. It's surprisingly effective because Bushwackers are (relatively) hauling ass at 81 kph. You can reposition yourself on the battlefield and give people a big scare with the sound of getting hit by dual RACs.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
          Amusingly, the mechs I hate meeting in my Bushwacker... is another Bushwacker. Something seems to have made them real popular lately, month ago I barely ever saw one, now there's a couple each match. Maybe Baradul did a build.

Glal wrote: »
          Amusingly, the mechs I hate meeting in my Bushwacker... is another Bushwacker. Something seems to have made them real popular lately, month ago I barely ever saw one, now there's a couple each match. Maybe Baradul did a build.
          In a way Bushwackers are light and medium killers. They carry one of the most aggressive loadouts for a medium class mech and they move pretty fast, not allowing them to catch up to squirrely lights but able to keep pace enough to fire additional shots on them.

But then they're also weirdly vulnerable and it has everything to do with their profile & central hitbox. I've had matches where I get knocked out, and my armor is largely intact, and all 250ish damage I took was entirely focused on my central torso. It's less damage than I tend to take in my light mechs before I get knocked out of a match in them.