As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Second Impeachment] Acquitted of Armed Insurrection | 57 Votes for Guilty

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    There exists the fact he may incite more violence and/or do crimes during the inauguration week.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Nothing that comes out is going to enflame or enrage more than watching people storm the capitol while the president eggs them on.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    moniker wrote: »
    I am not entirely sure why everyone is taking it as gospel truth that what Clyburn floated on CNN is now the only thing that could conceivably happen this week and are going from there.

It's annoying that a democrat is arguing for slowing the roll here.
    Those arguments are expected from the republicans, craven fucks that they are.

Democrats should be baying for fucking blood and hearing Clyburn going 'yeah maybe in a 100 days guys lets get on with some other stuff first' is flabbergasting.

Yes I get hes not Pelosi, yes i get democrats dont control the senate. Doesn't change the fact that no democrat should be calling for slowing down. Put the 4-d chess board away

101 on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I am not entirely sure why everyone is taking it as gospel truth that what Clyburn floated on CNN is now the only thing that could conceivably happen this week and are going from there.

there is a base assumption the Democrats will always fail and then any analysis springs from that well

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Because it's probably what leadership wants (and is consistent with their past behavior) and there needs to be pressure on them to stop this nonsense. I called my three (again).

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I have already accepted that Trump is not getting convicted no matter when the impeachment trial happens, but holy shit waiting 100 days into the Biden term is insanity. This was a literal armed insurrection inside the building that houses our legislature. There was the very real possibility of members of our government being executed. This was explicitly called for by the outgoing President of the United States. This must be dealt with at the earliest opportunity! Since in this case "dealing with it" won't involve the conviction of the clearly guilty Donald Trump, we must at least force his enablers to go on record as being supportive of this bullshit. The only thing delaying does in this case is give Republicans the ability to claim that if this was actually serious, the Democrats would have handled it immediately, and they wouldn't exactly be wrong to say that. This attempted coup is literally the most serious threat to our democracy in a century and a half. Many Republicans are complicit (at a minimum) in this attempt to subvert the US Constitution and we need to know who. So let's find out, and sooner rather than later.

steam_sig.png
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular

Because it's probably what leadership wants (and is consistent with their past behavior) and there needs to be pressure on them to stop this nonsense. I called my three (again).

I'm not very convinced of that going off what other leadership has said.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    101 wrote: »

It's annoying that a democrat is arguing for slowing the roll here.
    Those arguments are expected from the republicans, craven fucks that they are.

Democrats should be baying for fucking blood and hearing Clyburn going 'yeah maybe in a 100 days guys lets get on with some other stuff first' is flabbergasting.

Yes I get hes not Pelosi, yes i get democrats dont control the senate. Doesn't change the fact that no democrat should be calling for slowing down. Put the 4-d chess board away

Honestly at this point it's not even 4d chess, we're like turbo fucked right now, there's a few things one can legitimately argue are more important. There's just such a backlog of shit we've needed to do since last march that we can definitely argue rushing that through is of utmost importance. Like we're about to start seeing mass evictions very soon, and lots of businesses are folding, and lots of people are getting real desperate. The conditions in our country are deteriorating rapidly. As well it would seem that any kind of delay is less of a mandatory delay and instead kindof a countdown clock to, "no you're doing this and nothing else now". Like they could get in, see nothing but obstruction for the first two weeks, fail to get rid of the filibuster cause difi and manchin are fuckwits, and Schumer decides to just say, "fuck it if we're definitely not getting anything done anyways impeachment time let's do this".

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    As much as I want Trump removed yesterday, I could definitely see the “100 days” being the political tool of proposing something incredibly preposterous and then “negotiating” away from the other position.

Like, impeachment happens but we’re all happy that it happened immediately after Biden’s inauguration because at least it’s better than May.

Honestly, I could see a road here where the House starts impeachment, but the debate and process is used to extend the proceedings just enough such that the approved articles aren’t transmitted to the Senate until the 21st.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Nothing that comes out is going to enflame or enrage more than watching people storm the capitol while the president eggs them on.

This is only going to become less relevant over time. 3 months from now the public will barely care and the media will have moved back to both-sidesing. By a year and a half from now, I doubt it moves voters much at all.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    No subpoena'ed phone records about the people he was calling during the riot (we already know Rudy was trying to support it)

It came out I think on Friday that Trump made the same wrong number call to Mike Lee, during the riot!, in an attempt to tell Tuberville the same thing Rudy was spouting. News also dropped yesterday that there was a second Trump phone call to the Georgia lead investigator that was doing the signature verifications during the election recounts. This was prior to Trump calling and harassing Raffensperger. They're going to need a third impeachment trial for the illegal tampering attempt with the Georgia election results too.

Dark_Side on
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Like I can understand a delay till like mid February at most cause McConnell is a horse's ass. Just wait till the 21st get in, get everyone sat, speedrun a cabinet real quick, convict trump and remove his after presidency perks and ability to run for office ever again, then do all the other shit. Like i know we got a pandemic and related economic turmoil to deal with, but without doing this there's no fuckin country anymore cause apparently attempts to overthrow it aren't punished.

Also expulsion votes for Cruz and Hawley. And most of the fucking House GOP.

Boebert was live-tweeting Pelosi's location during the breach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUzgq6h1m0

Sometimes Arnold says things that are pretty good. I was really hoping for something like this to come from our Congress. He makes an excellent case for what history should have taught us and why Trump needs to be put in a dark hole and never seen again.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    And why do you need a month long trial? Just play a clip of Trump telling people to storm the capitol, play a clip of a mob storming the capitol, call for a vote.

Because McConnel will be in charge until the 20th. And he will ensure a long trial where nothing is said or presented in order to prevent Rs from having to vote and drag it out as long as possible. Because he doesn’t give a shit about the country and the people who vote for him don’t really either.

After the 20th we can have our vote but Rs get to say that there wasn’t a real trial and that is why they didn’t convict. And then it’s done and Trump isn’t convicted. Which for real is a bad thing. And giving Rs an excuse is also a bad thing. If you hold a real trial it will take time and eat into the time Ds have to do other important things, like get checks out.

So there are upsides to waiting and holding a real trial. Not the least that you can present evidence to the nation of the depth of the rot in the Republican Party. Though I am not sure they’re worth it.

We should see if we can pull some Rs to break McConnels speakership and then impeach. Though I don’t suspect that we would succeed. It would require Republicans break with both the party and Trump.

wbBv3fj.png
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I’m impressed that the Democrats have so deftly managed to find the dumbest possible way to proceed with impeachment

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    There exists the fact he may incite more violence and/or do crimes during the inauguration week.

There were literally calls to do that on twitter and parler. It’s why there was a huge purge.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    If I didn't have Central Auditory Processing Disorder, I'd called my three on the phone. E-mail works best for my needs and I made sure to contact all three today. Yes, I gave all three the same message but kind of hard to do three slightly different letters when the first one required keeping cool enough to not curse like a sailor, keep it swear word free and there isn't much in the way of having variation, when the message boils down to hold these fuckers accountable and deal with them ASAP. I made a point to mention that all the Senate has to do is hold a vote because at this point one either believes that was an insurrection or not, no amount of debate, evidence presentation or investigation is going to sway someone who doesn't believe it was. Save time and just do the vote to remove Trump, can be done in a single day.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Good for the Democrats for finding a good reception for their smart ideas, from at least some people.

Democrats have the leadership they deserve.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular

Tonight, in the first interview with Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi since a mob smashed its way through the Capitol, Speaker Pelosi tells Lesley Stahl one motivation for impeaching POTUS is to assure he never runs for the presidency again. https://cbsn.ws/3sdqfFC

Sounds to that Pelosi has her hunting knife out and is looking to get bloody in this fight.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Inauguration Day is coming. And we know there will be a repeat attempt. Why drag our feet on this? We wanna roll the dice some more?

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Tonight, in the first interview with Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi since a mob smashed its way through the Capitol, Speaker Pelosi tells Lesley Stahl one motivation for impeaching POTUS is to assure he never runs for the presidency again. https://cbsn.ws/3sdqfFC

Sounds to that Pelosi has her hunting knife out and is looking to get bloody in this fight.

She has literal decades of being light on holding the executive branch accountable.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Dragging our feet on it sure seems to me like we're fucking around

at some point we're going to find out

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Dragging our feet on it sure seems to me like we're fucking around

at some point we're going to find out

good god yes. Everyone please repeat this everywhere you can.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm supremely irritated that we bust our asses to get these fucks elected and this is how they react to a fascist coup attempt and literal violent attack on the nation's capitol. Democracy is done if the best leadership we can conjure is this fucking brain dead.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

She has literal decades of being light on holding the executive branch accountable.

i think not enough note is being made of the fact the executive literally tried to have her killed this time

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

I mean it does look like she's looking to get bloody but perhaps not in the way you are intending

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Chanus wrote: »

i think not enough note is being made of the fact the executive literally tried to have her killed this time

I agree that if anything finally moves the needle its that leadership was personally in danger but that is pretty damning.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    210 co-sponsors. Nearing a majority sponsoring the damn thing.

Chanus wrote: »

I agree that if anything finally moves the needle its that leadership was personally in danger but that is pretty damning.

i can't disagree

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Sarah Jeong (NYT, elsewhere) had a relevant thought about the whole they almost died thing.
    honestly there has nothing been more flabbergasting than Democrats having faced down getting blown up / shot / kidnapped and then pretending like they have no power to do anything about it

It turns out it’s not that they didn’t care about their constituents, they’re just abject cowards who can’t even stand up for themselves in an ongoing emergency where the lack of consequences makes a second, third, fourth attack more likely????

Silicon Valley companies with soul-crushing moral cowardice built into their DNA have moved faster, *what is wrong with you*

smCQ5WE.jpg

Hat tip to @august

Forbes reporter. Going with a resolution to request Pence to invoke the 25th, then 24 hours, then impeachment.

Which is silly because he's not going to do it. But maybe Kinzinger insisted and they wanted a couple Republican votes.

edited January 2021
    This is the part of Shogun where the Samurai in the pit-jail is thrown a dagger to commit ritual suicide and preserve his honor.

And then he goes neener neener you smell like butts you stupid liberal and pouts while complaining about his freedoms.

dispatch.o on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    He should do it so he gets lifetime Secret Service protection. He's going to need it either way.

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Sarah Jeong (NYT, elsewhere) had a relevant thought about the whole they almost died thing.
    honestly there has nothing been more flabbergasting than Democrats having faced down getting blown up / shot / kidnapped and then pretending like they have no power to do anything about it

It turns out it’s not that they didn’t care about their constituents, they’re just abject cowards who can’t even stand up for themselves in an ongoing emergency where the lack of consequences makes a second, third, fourth attack more likely????

Silicon Valley companies with soul-crushing moral cowardice built into their DNA have moved faster, *what is wrong with you*

This part is what sticks out to me:

“Ah ha, but let’s not ruin Biden’s first one hundred days”

A mob just tried to kill you??? Like, there’s bombs and stuff and a cop died???? Why the fuck do you think we’re on a normal schedule anymore!!!

This whole "We can't do that" mentality is asinine under the circumstances. YOU CAN DO FUCKING ANYTHING. Jesus, if this doesn't qualify as an emergency, a time to break precedent, a time to get shit done, then when???

The GOP were breaking norms and bucking rules from day one, but the dems are just like "We caaaaaaan't", even when someone almost literally has a gun to their head. What the fuck.

VuIBhrs.png
    Pelosi letter for those who can't Twitter:
    Dear Democratic Colleague,

On this Sunday, as we pray to God to continue to Bless America, I write to inform you of our next actions, which will be made with the great solemnity that this moment requires.

I want to call to your immediate attention the action to be taken tomorrow morning, when Majority Leader Hoyer will request Unanimous Consent to bring up the Raskin resolution.
    This resolution calls on the Vice President to convene and mobilize the Cabinet to activate the 25th Amendment to declare the President incapable of executing the duties of his office, after which the Vice President would immediately exercise powers as acting President. The text of the resolution can be found here (link to the Speaker's website which is getting slammed right now -eb).

If we do not receive Unanimous Consent, this legislation is planned to be brought up on the Floor the following day. We are calling on the Vice President to respond within 24 hours.

Next (timing here is ambiguous - eb), we will proceed with bringing impeachment legislation to the Floor.

In protecting our Constitution and our Democracy, we will act with urgency, because this President represents an imminent threat to both. As the days go by, the horror of the ongoing assault on our democracy perpetrated by this President is intensified and so is the immediate need for action.

I look forward to our caucus call tomorrow. I am grateful to all members for the suggestions, observations, and input you have been sending. Your views on the 25th Amendment, 14th Amendment Section 3, and impeachment are valued as we continue. I am answering your communication in chronological order and will do into the night.

Thank you for your patriotism.

Prayerfully,
    Nancy

I find her mention of the 14th Amendment interesting. Enough members or constituents have brought it up that it's on her mind, I guess.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    The 14th amendment being how you would get 2/3 to convict as far as I can see.
    Expel those that participated in inciting the insurrection and then hold the vote.

edited January 2021
    discrider wrote: »
    The 14th amendment being how you would get 2/3 to convict as far as I can see.
    Expel those that participated in inciting the insurrection and then hold the vote.

At its most generous interpretation (expelling all 12 who planned on voting to reject at least one state; as opposed to those who ended up doing so), that would make the required vote 59, I think.

More realistically it would be the 8 who ended up voting for one, which means you need 62.

Most realistically you get just Cruz and Hawley, leaving you needing 66.

enlightenedbum on
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Can someone explain to me why it matters whether or not Pelosi and the Dems do impeachment if nothing changes because not enough Republicans will vote to convict?

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why it matters whether or not Pelosi and the Dems do impeachment if nothing changes because not enough Republicans will vote to convict?

Mostly to out which Republicans are fascists and use it against them in their next election.

Oghulk wrote: »

Politics is like 90% messaging

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.