As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's not anime, it's the 4th [Gunpla] thread

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Char's Counterattack
    I feel like it's really hard to render a planet uninhabitable forever. On a long enough timescale, no matter what he does to it, Earth will recover. Probably many generations though. I think his intent is that in the meantime space will be the place, and returning to Earth is almost a secondary goal that we'll get to eventually
    I feel it might go the opposite. Earth’s ecosystem is extremely fragile as we’re finding out right now ourselves thanks to climate change, and the die offs that would result from unchecked global warming absolutely wreaking havoc on biomes across the globe. And that’s without whatever additional horrors humanity wrought over it by the UC era, and then Three 20-mile-long colony drops, and Char’s pre-Axis rock dropping.

On a long enough timescale, maybe something rises back out of it. But it’s not going to be the Er-ist rebirth Char is going on about where earth becomes a green Eden of new life. It’ll be a barren wasteland where NeoRoaches eke out whatever nutrients they can, maybe.

But like you said, “space will be the place” but it also means he’s condemning the rest of non-human life on the planet for whatever biodiversity is left in his quest to finally one up Amuro

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    You know I haven't seen Char's Counterattack but I have to wonder what Sayla thinks about her brother's shenanigans.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Too bad we'll never know

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

Secret project done. Screwed up a decal and might replace a few others as well when the new sheet arrives.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    looks quite nice in bird mode, good work
    (you should do something for ina next, she likes unicorn and stuff)

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    looks quite nice in bird mode, good work
    (you should do something for ina next, she likes unicorn and stuff)

Ina is the only one I can't come up with a good Gundam for. I did actually get the Wing Zero Ver.Ka for Christmas so I was thinking of doing a TMT Gundam but the level detail in character design is crazy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Char's Counterattack
    I feel like it's really hard to render a planet uninhabitable forever. On a long enough timescale, no matter what he does to it, Earth will recover. Probably many generations though. I think his intent is that in the meantime space will be the place, and returning to Earth is almost a secondary goal that we'll get to eventually
    Yeah like, maybe the earth heals one day is a very secondary goal. "As long as earth exists as a haven for the oppressors the colonies cant be free, so I must destroy it" is a plan that I think may be a to extreme (especially since I'm pretty sure Char could have won a traditional war pretty easily) but I get it, especially when what's left to destroy ain't much. edit: also yeah part of the plan is to make earth uninhabitable for a long enough time so that when it IS inhabitable again, humanity will have had time to learn how to care for it properly.

Also the whole new type awakening of people once they leave the earth deal, which is a (in fiction) factually correct idea.
    You know I haven't seen Char's Counterattack but I have to wonder what Sayla thinks about her brother's shenanigans.
    Well in ZZ she's become a like venture capitalist hanging at resorts on earth so uh, probably doesn't approve.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Char's Counterattack
    Yeah like, maybe the earth heals one day is a very secondary goal. "As long as earth exists as a haven for the oppressors the colonies cant be free, so I must destroy it" is a plan that I think may be a to extreme (especially since I'm pretty sure Char could have won a traditional war pretty easily) but I get it, especially when what's left to destroy ain't much.

Also the whole new type awakening of people once they leave the earth deal, which is a (in fiction) factually correct idea.

Thing about the latter is
    Char’s wrong about forcing folks off earth to be necessary for Newtypes.

Amuro lived a large chunk of his life on earth, Lalah developed her abilities before leaving the planet and canonically even Revil was a newtype.

By and large, newtype awakening seems born less by being in space and something else entirely, perhaps just a the stress of life combined with an already empathic nature, reaching out for others? Even in the late first century UC, newtypes are still a mysterious thing, there’s barely any recognized and about three quarters of humanity are in the colonies.

Whatever the pressure is for one to develop as a newtype without dangerous brain surgeries is, “I live in space” is not the big driver

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    OMG, TNTrooper, that is ... Holy fuck.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Char's Counterattack
    Yeah like, maybe the earth heals one day is a very secondary goal. "As long as earth exists as a haven for the oppressors the colonies cant be free, so I must destroy it" is a plan that I think may be a to extreme (especially since I'm pretty sure Char could have won a traditional war pretty easily) but I get it, especially when what's left to destroy ain't much.

Amuro lived a large chunk of his life on earth, Lalah developed her abilities before leaving the planet and canonically even Revil was a newtype.

By and large, newtype awakening seems born less by being in space and something else entirely, perhaps just a the stress of life combined with an already empathic nature, reaching out for others? Even in the late first century UC, newtypes are still a mysterious thing, there’s barely any recognized and about three quarters of humanity are in the colonies.

Whatever the pressure is for one to develop as a newtype without dangerous brain surgeries is, “I live in space” is not the big driver

CCA
    Right, Char was operating off the assumptions he thought was correct for newtypes, probably based on his father's ideology. Even as more of humanity had moved to space in later shows, the # of newtypes in the population did not seem significantly higher than before or after the OYW to CCA period.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I think Char is a really fascinating and tragic character, even if that tragedy mostly comes from allllllmost rising to his better nature but then making some dumbshit choice for personal reasons he can't let go of

basically the reason I like the character so much.

CCA
    things get a little weird when you realize he and Jamitov's goals were more or less in sync

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I hate to say it but you guys are probably giving newtypes more thought than the writers ever have

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    What else are internet forums for

• Options
    Lanz wrote: »
    Char's Counterattack

All those characters WENT to space though. And Lala is like, mega super newtype so I think that's a pretty reasonable exemption.

Also remember the Federation actively suppressed the knowledge of Newtypes existing post 0079 (and almost certainly black bagged a ton of them). By F91 and especially Victory when the Federation's influence is failing newtypes are very common.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Finally body complete on my RG Unicorn.
    pVJkz8Mh.jpg
    Pretty happy with how it’s coming out so far but I may never transform it again just because swapping out the V-fin is going to be more of an ordeal than I’d like. I always saw people complaining about the transformation but I think the rest of it was fine. I still need to build the weapons so I haven’t posed it much yet.

Looking at my photos makes me want to panel line the white parts but it’s such a busy kit even in normal mode I feel like it would just be too much.

• Options
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Damn, Yokohama Gundam looking pretty impressive.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    pVJkz8Mh.jpg
    Pretty happy with how it’s coming out so far but I may never transform it again just because swapping out the V-fin is going to be more of an ordeal than I’d like. I always saw people complaining about the transformation but I think the rest of it was fine. I still need to build the weapons so I haven’t posed it much yet.

Looking at my photos makes me want to panel line the white parts but it’s such a busy kit even in normal mode I feel like it would just be too much.

Personally I used the transforming v-fin and painted the inside. Still a pain in the ass full transformation. I have been featuring mine in my build pics, but if you want any shots of how my panel lining looks on the real grade specifically, let me know.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    pVJkz8Mh.jpg

Personally I used the transforming v-fin and painted the inside. Still a pain in the ass full transformation. I have been featuring mine in my build pics, but if you want any shots of how my panel lining looks on the real grade specifically, let me know.

How is the transforming fin? My main worry was the tolerances being such that they didn’t close up well enough to give the impression of being one solid piece, especially if I added another couple millimeters of stickers in between.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    That's why I went with painting it - to try and get it as thin as possible.

... and OMG I just lost a booster behind my desk in a place that will be INSANE to get it out so... blaaaah.

I'm not fully transforming because fuck that. Also, man this is a sloppy paint job in retrospect.

3KlWUuqh.jpg

xl90mgkh.jpg

Dn2KxF0h.jpg

Edit: Recovered my booster. Yup. Pain in the ass. That's what I get for being lazy.

Athenor on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    What happened to his left arm?

• Options
    lost it in the war

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Heffling wrote: »
    What happened to his left arm?

(Edit: Changed the referenced post to one that actually explained what happened.)

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/41902147/#Comment_41902147
    Well... Fuck. I was trying to pre-loosen the joints on the arm at the shoulder... and it snapped. Because of course it did.
    Given the age of the kit, hopefully I can get in touch with Bluefin and get some replacement parts. Failing that, I guess I could try pinning it, but given how bloody tight the shoulder is, I'm still worried about putting pressure on it.

Otherwise it's still shaping up well. But I am going to need to pause for now.

pBT62gth.jpg

7owi0QYh.jpg

iyis0tph.jpg

HtK1Enbh.jpg

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/41907607/#Comment_41907607
    Can anyone give me a hand here?

BbR3Nw3h.jpg

:D

Seriously, I'm not even done with all the weapons and boosters and such. I think I may have a thing for overly armed models.

I found that picture when I was going through and trying to figure out when the fuck I built my RG Unicorn... and I forgot how much I absolutely loved it.

Athenor on
  • Options
    @TNTrooper

Okay, I'm pouring over the manual and not finding anything to help me figure out something.

What the fuck is O18 used for?

Roqa1Spl.jpg

It looks like a platform or something for displaying the figure. On the back it has a little tab and some reinforcing. Thing is, I can't find anywhere in the instructions that references it. The O runner, as far as I can tell, is only used for the waist assembly. No where else in this manual do I see a reference to the O runner. I thought maybe it was a tool for separating parts, but that doesn't seem right either. But I just.. I'm at a loss!

• Options
    maybe something related to a stand or hiding the port where a stand arm would connect?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Oh you're fucking kidding me...

VkEx5Vnl.jpg

To be fair, that's a bitch of a part to get out. But there was no callout in the transform pages to say "Hey, we're giving you a tool to help with this one step!"

*translates the Japanese*

"Use O18 for the shoulder sensor wake up."

.... Fair enough, Bandai.

Athenor on
  • Options
    What does that even.... that doesn't help

• Options
    What does that even.... that doesn't help

It helps the TINIEST amount. Like, there's this really shallow ridge there that you can catch with your fingertips and pull the sensors out. I suspect that with the backpack/weapons/etc attached, it would be really hard to get to, and thus the tool comes into play. But still! So weird... and a little display platform would actually be kind of cool, given the rest of the base is designed to hold weapons and the like.

dNFR0AUl.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Today a combination of a headache, chores, and something I'll ask about later (because I feel I'm posting way too much today) led to me not feeling like I got as much done, but in my mind I know it was more than it appears. 6 assemblies, 5 unique, and wiring and my first use of stickers and so on. It's pretty damned impressive how well this guy is turning out. I think I started on the 2nd or 3rd? Not even a week now. It's pretty mind blowing how quickly this guy is coming together, for how complex I thought he was.

I just LOVE the energy seeping out of him look. And I'm glad I was able to get my camera to cooperate on a good dark shot. It's actually more subtle than the picture even looks here, which is just great energy. I'd love to be able to hook these up to external power and just have them stay on all the time.

I do need to work on hiding the wires better so they don't act like springs for the skirt armor.

PogIJNyh.jpg

Whb02eEh.jpg

RG is cheating a little bit with the stand.

Y7RYC9dh.jpg

There are places where the blacklight leaks out as blue, which kind of sucks. Or it might be the panel lining residue. I haven't figured it out yet.

CKUESLCh.jpg

093t28Ch.jpg

MZ3fl4Xh.jpg

hfmKoMbh.jpg

Athenor on
  • Options
    I don't want to do waterslide decals right now so let me just look at my backlog and see if there is something I can procrastinate with that won't make me want to go crazy with the paint too.

Ver. Ka
    Ver. Ka
    Ver. Ka

...fuck

steam_sig.png
  • Options

... and OMG I just lost a booster behind my desk in a place that will be INSANE to get it out so... blaaaah.

I'm not fully transforming because fuck that. Also, man this is a sloppy paint job in retrospect.

Hmm, that v-fin does close up better than I thought. Do you remember what you used to paint it? I’d probably only go for a gold gundam/paint marker if I made the switch.

• Options

Hmm, that v-fin does close up better than I thought. Do you remember what you used to paint it? I’d probably only go for a gold gundam/paint marker if I made the switch.

Yeah, golden gundam marker from my metallic set, with a bit of attempted pour marker panel lining to give it definition. Was one of my first times ever using a metallic.

• Options

Yeah, golden gundam marker from my metallic set, with a bit of attempted pour marker panel lining to give it definition. Was one of my first times ever using a metallic.

Pour type marker on top of the gold marker probably caused it to get reactivated and wiped away with the excess.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So here's a question I've been thinking about for the last day or so.

How do you properly use side-cutters?

Below are pictures of my two nippers I use daily these days. The blue ones are Mr. Hobby, and I use them for just cutting the piece free from the sprue - leaving plenty of material behind. I then use the Tamiya to try and get as flush as possible.

My understanding of side cuttersis that there is a sharp blade side and a flat/dull side that the blade presses against... At least, that's how godhands are. But I swear I can't tell on my nippers? Hell, I can't even tell if they are dull or not. I've had the Tamiya ones for about 2-3 years now. Sometimes I get really clean cuts, sometimes I get tent-like residue that I need to do a lot of cleanup on.

I just.. wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Or if there are things I can do to improve my technique and cut down on post-cut operations I need to do.

ekApYGLl.jpg

8h31DkWl.jpg

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I remember reading somewhere that side cutters shouldn't be used flush against the piece to get rid of the sprue; try using an xacto knife instead for that final step

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    You cut so there is a large nub then do like 5 passes shaving off bits with the knife

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    With the cheap ones both side are basically dull and you are "cutting" the piece by pinching it between them, this puts a lot of stress on the plastic which causes discoloration and need to cut far enough back to avoid it reaching the actual part. With good ones like Godhands as my finger can attest to 1 side is razor sharp like an x-acto and the other side works as a cutting board providing a flat surface.

9ripsqooc59c.jpg

Double cut method on the thick border part of a runner using Godhands. That very slight C shaped discoloration on the bottom isn't from stress but because the cut wasn't quite straight and sunlight from the window is catching the angled bit sticking out. If you are getting a ^ like then you are cutting on dull spot on the blade and getting a cheap dull cutter pinching cut.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    err wait what are we looking at here

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    pretty sure all tamiyas are double bladed, while godhands, dspiae, and gundam planet branded nippers are single bladed

uc3ufTB.png
This discussion has been closed.