As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So I'm thinking we see the Grank version of this next year, maybe a year and a half. I'd bet they announce World 2 within 6 months of that coming out.

There's just no way they're not doing a world 2 after how crazy successful it was - and at that point the new console generation will be a couple of years old, which is perfect for what MonHun wants to do I'll bet. Plus it gives them time to iterate on the mechanics of Rise - I'm allllmooost willing to bet Riding is here to stay, and silkbind attacks likewise. The series has never been one for going back on mobility mechanics (unless you count swimming, but that was never that well received)

Plus the engine for world was at the end of it's life IIRC which is part of why it had no leviathans (clipping issues out the wazoo and other problems with it's skeleton). Can't imagine they want to leave leviathans out again after bringing them back in Rise

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Tried the demo in handheld mode, runs very nicely.

Amusingly, I found exactly one touch-screen control. You can select the targeted monster in the upper right by tapping.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Every time I’m like “I’m going to try all of the weapons and learn something new,” and every time I pick up my old friend GS and never put it down.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    Every time I’m like “I’m going to try all of the weapons and learn something new,” and every time I pick up my old friend GS and never put it down.

I think you mean the switch axe, but yeah.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    It's CB and Lance for me. I keep going "this time I will learn to Longsword/Hunting Horn/SnS", and I keep just going back to the old reliables.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

I think you mean the switch axe, but yeah.

No, they mean the Greatsword.

God i love that thing. and i'll contiuine to yell about what a brilliant piece of game design Tackle is.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I thought that was going to happen with me this time but I think I switched mains to LS.

Sooo fun now.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I picked up Generations on 2DS because I don't have a Switch and missed encountering unfamiliar moves, locales and monsters. But it turns out that having the camera on a joystick might be way more important to my enjoyment of the series than having new stuff to do. 🤦‍♂️

Edit: Okay, Iceborne is still fantastic and I guess I never did much in the Guiding Lands. I appreciate that the movie tie-in quests have been made relatively easy for people like me who have forgotten how to do everything.

Frem on
  • Options
    I think I'm going to try to start out with lance and HBG or something. Push myself out of my comfort zone. Lance getting the new charged sweep is nice.

...and if things get too hard I can take SnS out and laugh about always having a defense button up.

LS's main weakness is that all its defensive options are only available mid-combo. The upside is that outside of spirit combo (though round is a defensive tool in its own right with the movement it has) it's not got especially long animations. Mizu bodied me because I didn't have the timings down to counter. But a LS consistently landing counter moves is insane and will rip things apart.

Did a decent Mizu fight with CB though, having a good shield helps. Not having to fight UAED down to SAED to keep shield charge is a big plus. Is UAED even in Rise? Hard to say with how bad the weapon control notes are. Doesn't list the inputs for so many things on CB.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Is UAED even in Rise?

No, but then it wasn't in any of the other games either. SAED is the charged shield one that eats all your vials, AED is the regular one that costs one vial. Both are in and work the same as in World. SAED consuming your shield charge as well as all your vials was a 4th gen thing.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I’m bummed the boosted axe mode for the CB isn’t in Rise. It made the CB more interesting in Iceborne. Feels like a step back.

The Hammer felt good, but I am confused about the point of the mode change. The silkbug attacks were definitely fun.

I definitely need to try the HH.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    The Hammer felt good, but I am confused about the point of the mode change.

Yellow mode is hammer classic. Purple mode is the enhanced charge attacks you used to get from doing power charge in World. So purple mode's basically better, but swapping from purple to yellow gives you a free level 3 charge and a short dash forward.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    TamerBill wrote: »

Yellow mode is hammer classic. Purple mode is the enhanced charge attacks you used to get from doing power charge in World. So purple mode's basically better, but swapping from purple to yellow gives you a free level 3 charge and a short dash forward.

Also golf swing.

I have a hunch that yellow mode might have higher KO values.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

Yeah, I understood that part, I guess what I mean is I don't see the point of using the yellow mode. Like you said, purple is basically better, as far as I can tell

I'm no pro though, and this is just the demo, so I imagine good players will figure something out. If anything, I guess that hop+charge can be useful

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The demo isn't really hooking me. I immediately bounced off of World, and so far this kind of feels like the little I played and have seen of World, plus wirebugs. It being two steps away from what I want and expect seems to be making it even harder for me to engage with it. I'll give it a try for a bit longer at some point just to be fair, but it definitely hasn't sold the game for me.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    The demos usually suck to be honest. World was also a pretty big departure from older mh games. But sometimes you just don't like a game. Like I think bloodborne and souls games suck, but many people would tell me I'm wrong.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i do think making you do a mid-tier monster in starter gear is not an incredible demo, tbh, and emphasizes the worst parts of the sponginess in monhun.
    it does give you a longer demo though.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Gonna be sad that I just don't have the time to devote to another monster hunter right now. Maybe when it releases things won't be so busy.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    So I'm thinking we see the Grank version of this next year, maybe a year and a half. I'd bet they announce World 2 within 6 months of that coming out.

There's just no way they're not doing a world 2 after how crazy successful it was - and at that point the new console generation will be a couple of years old, which is perfect for what MonHun wants to do I'll bet. Plus it gives them time to iterate on the mechanics of Rise - I'm allllmooost willing to bet Riding is here to stay, and silkbind attacks likewise. The series has never been one for going back on mobility mechanics (unless you count swimming, but that was never that well received)

Plus the engine for world was at the end of it's life IIRC which is part of why it had no leviathans (clipping issues out the wazoo and other problems with it's skeleton). Can't imagine they want to leave leviathans out again after bringing them back in Rise

The leaks from capcom pointed to a PC version coming out in October. Those leaks were from a real Capcom hack, and Rise seems to be on schedule. The RE engine is already ported to PC (and runs very well), so I wouldn't be surprised if that is on track also.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular

The leaks from capcom pointed to a PC version coming out in October. Those leaks were from a real Capcom hack, and Rise seems to be on schedule. The RE engine is already ported to PC (and runs very well), so I wouldn't be surprised if that is on track also.

While this is true, the leak was also because Capcom refused to pay the hackers to keep it quiet. I could totally see the hackers throwing in a fake PC port of Rise and Stories just to screw Capcom out of a chunk of money.

• Options
    i do think making you do a mid-tier monster in starter gear is not an incredible demo, tbh, and emphasizes the worst parts of the sponginess in monhun.
    it does give you a longer demo though.

Yeah, in general, i tend to find Monster Hunter demos are very much for existing fans of the series, rather than a good way to get new people into the series.

Re: Leaks - I'll wait for official word. I can totally belive Rise on pc. I can also see it not happening, so... *shrug*

• Options
    Ok, so I did the demo again because I hadn't taken the time to fight the arzuros yet, and this time I played in handheld mode using the joycons rather than using my pro controller, and I didn't have any issues transforming to sword mode mid combo like I complained about earlier.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular

I don't know if they'll go that route anymore, and instead just release it as DLC like they did with Iceborne.

• Options
    My Capcom crystal ball is broken because I was way wrong with World but they do stand to make more money if they make a world 2 and keep Rise and Rise Higher(grank) on the switch.

• Options
    Seidkona wrote: »
    My Capcom crystal ball is broken because I was way wrong with World but they do stand to make more money if they make a world 2 and keep Rise and Rise Higher(grank) on the switch.

Agreed. If anything I think moving forward we'll see a return too having portable and non portable games in the same generation. Rise seems to still be classed as a gen 5 game, so...

• Options
    If they want to appeal to the west, they really shouldn't go that route though.

• Options
    As far as fasion hunting goes I will need the Bow Lady's armor post haste.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I just hope full transmog isn't locked until the end of G/Master Rank again.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Seidkona wrote: »
    As far as fasion hunting goes I will need the Bow Lady's armor post haste.

Also LBG and CB :P

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    My only experience with MH before this has been some World (should go back and at least beat the story!). Been playing through the demo a bit (handheld only so far) and man, I'm really digging the Hunting Horn. Also very much liking the Chargeblade and Switchaxe, though I'm positive there's more advanced stuff with those two that I've not figured out on my own. Took a little bit of figuring out Mizutsune, but I was able to take it down with all three of those weapons. Wondering what I should try next - I tried Greatsword but man, I do not like how it feels at all.

• Options
    Yeah, I always say that the Great Sword is one of the most advanced weapons because you really need to know the monster in order to land the harder hits, but so many people use it as their first weapon because of how awesome it looks and then get frustrated with the game because of the monster knowledge it asks for.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Now that I have a much better understanding of Mizutsune I may give Greatsword another go.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Yeah, I always say that the Great Sword is one of the most advanced weapons because you really need to know the monster in order to land the harder hits, but so many people use it as their first weapon because of how awesome it looks and then get frustrated with the game because of the monster knowledge it asks for.

One of the lances is probably the best beginner weapon for being able to safely chip at monsters while learning their openings for bigger moves. Otoh they're not simple to execute full damage with...

Maybe hammer? It's relatively safe in being able to cancel out of most stuff with rolls, and exhaust makes monsters easier to deal with... SnS is good at not dying but needs some knowledge for dps same as lance...

Polaritie on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I play other things like bow, gunlance, and longsword, but I always end up back at the lance.

It feels a lot stronger in Rise, but that could be because of a million reasons. Can't wait to see how it feels with a real playthrough.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Satsumomo wrote: »

One of the lances is probably the best beginner weapon for being able to safely chip at monsters while learning their openings for bigger moves. Otoh they're not simple to execute full damage with...

Maybe hammer? It's relatively safe in being able to cancel out of most stuff with rolls, and exhaust makes monsters easier to deal with... SnS is good at not dying but needs some knowledge for dps same as lance...

SnS is the best for all levels of player.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    SnS is the worst because if you want a sword and a shield, charge blade is right there.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    SnS is the worst because if you want a sword and a shield, charge blade is right there.

CB has a better block, but SnS is probably the best weapon in the game at not dying because it can dodge roll or block basically any time you want and use potions etc without sheathing. Although Wirefall reduces the advantage of that a little. Plus just straight up highest base move speed with weapon out (I think HH and DB can exceed it with their buffs?).

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Yeah SnS gives you so much mobility etc - it's a VERY good weapon

I think the main dink against it for new players is it's not percived as a "Cool" weapon in the way the more grandiose weapons are. Even though it's relative simplicity is perfect for new players.

But i'm still going to beat the shit out of things with a giant slab that only barely qualifies as being a sword, because that's just how Greatsword rolls.

• Options
    Yeah SnS gives you so much mobility etc - it's a VERY good weapon

I think the main dink against it for new players is it's not percived as a "Cool" weapon in the way the more grandiose weapons are. Even though it's relative simplicity is perfect for new players.

But i'm still going to beat the shit out of things with a giant slab that only barely qualifies as being a sword, because that's just how Greatsword rolls.

Look, you can have a puny sword and shield, or you can have a sword and shield that turn into a giant exploding axe.

• Options
    I think hammer is like a "great sword lite" since you also charge your attacks but this time you're on the move, so it does help you eventually transfer to GS.

GS was the last weapon I learned to use and it wasn't until Iceborne endgame for me. It wasn't easy, but it is very rewarding.