As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    This is why I feel I do better with straight U-AC10s, because you can do a double tap, then torso twist to spread the damage over your sacrificial arms and side torsos, while with RACs you need to facetank or lose your DPS.

But it feels so good.

Also, while it has torso twist for days, the Bushy can't look up or down to save its life. Some light asshole was standing below me on the Canyon ramp and I couldn't look down far enough to hit them.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Glal wrote: »
    Amusingly, the mechs I hate meeting in my Bushwacker... is another Bushwacker. Something seems to have made them real popular lately, month ago I barely ever saw one, now there's a couple each match. Maybe Baradul did a build.

Some mad lad has been uploading high quality episodes of the Battletech cartoon for the past month. One of the 1st Somerset Strikers pilots a Bushwacker. That’d be my guess as to its sudden popularity.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Well shit, now I may need to watch more than just the intro of that show (while giggling at the animation).

edited January 2021
    The cartoon is ridiculous and glorious and non-canonical, but it has a surprising amount of small details.

Our hero introduces himself to this Davion guy:

Adam: “I’m Major Adam Steiner.”
    Davion Dude: “Major? Steiner? I would’ve figured your name would’ve bought you a higher rank.”

As a kid this went over my head. As an adult I’m all, “Oooh damn! Someone call the burn ward cause we got incoming!”

Edit- While the cartoon is non-canonical, it is canon in the sense that the cartoon itself was developed by the Tharkad Broadcasting Company as a bit of propaganda after the Clan Invasion. The 1st Somerset Strikers (our heroes) were a real unit and the cartoon is a highly exaggerated and altered retelling of their exploits.

Axen on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    The cartoon is ridiculous and glorious and non-canonical, but it has a surprising amount of small details.

Our hero introduces himself to this Davion guy:

Adam: “I’m Major Adam Steiner.”
    Davion Dude: “Major? Steiner? I would’ve figured your name would’ve bought you a higher rank.”

As a kid this went over my head. As an adult I’m all, “Oooh damn! Someone call the burn ward cause we got incoming!”

Edit- While the cartoon is non-canonical, it is canon in the sense that the cartoon itself was developed by the Tharkad Broadcasting Company as a bit of propaganda after the Clan Invasion. The 1st Somerset Strikers (our heroes) were a real unit and the cartoon is a highly exaggerated and altered retelling of their exploits.

Indeed, the canonical Nicolai Malthus even traveled to Steiner space to enact a Trial of Grievance against Adam Steiner over the cartoon as it had helped to crater his career. It did not end well for him.
    He ended up in a Lyran courtroom where it culminated with him trying to force trial by combat with the judge.

While there is nothing in the lore to support this theory (AFAIK), I like to imagine that Adam Steiner (our protag) was perhaps an executive producer for the cartoon and maybe he had some notes.

It certainly seems like exactly the kind of thing a Lyran noble would do.

MWO needs some kind of silly Traditional mode, where the mechs are only carting their stock loadouts. No skill trees, just garbo defaults. I imagine you'd prolly have to keep quirks to keep IS mechs competitive with Clans, though (and I don't know if any later mechs came with stock newer tech that would just best slot them?).

MWO needs some kind of silly Traditional mode, where the mechs are only carting their stock loadouts. No skill trees, just garbo defaults. I imagine you'd prolly have to keep quirks to keep IS mechs competitive with Clans, though (and I don't know if any later mechs came with stock newer tech that would just best slot them?).

There have been “stock only” tournaments in the past. I think it was IS only or Clan only though

Put me in the game coach, I'm ready! Hold my beer, guys...

Side note: Grimmechs was dormant without any changes for about a year. This has changed with PGI promising to reinvest in the game, and as such there are a ton of new builds up, including at least one for every hero mech on the game.

Fingers crossed they actually deliver, I would love to play that promised 8v8 mode, like back in the day.

Also, update map vote to include a pick and counterpick that negates a vote for that map, I'm so fucking tired of Canyon and Snowy Canyon. "Hey, you know this map that everyone votes for for some reason, even though it's trash? Let's double the chance it pops up."

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Man, I have been running into some miracle murderers this morning. A Mad Dog that obliterated the CT of my Catapult in about 3 seconds. An Executioner that wiped out the CT of my Uziel without hitting a single other section of armor in 2 salvos. Then I accidentally ran into about 6 enemy mechs in Forest Colony Classic in my Firestarter.

Fingers crossed they actually deliver, I would love to play that promised 8v8 mode, like back in the day.

Also, update map vote to include a pick and counterpick that negates a vote for that map, I'm so fucking tired of Canyon and Snowy Canyon. "Hey, you know this map that everyone votes for for some reason, even though it's trash? Let's double the chance it pops up."

Personally I’d prefer it work similar to faction play where you see the map and mode pop up and you have 30 seconds to swap your mech to another one. I’d rather have everybody playing snipers or LRM boats on Polar than get stuck there in a dual HGR Annie

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Or, I mean...if they're okay with aping more from War Thunder, they could always just let you set up a pre-defined selection of mechs in your deck, then when you get in a match, you pick which of your mechs you want to pilot.

(Now, granted, in War Thunder, it works closer to the Faction Play system of drop decks...but no reason why the game couldn't just let you pick one mech from your deck and that being your one life to live)

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

I always vote for the one map I figure nobody wants just to drive my multiplier up. That way when those two maps pop up I can vote for Caustic or Mt. Doom.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I had my first toxic experience in the game yesterday morning. Alpine won the map vote and some guy would not shut up during match setup / at the start, calling people... REALLY mean names for having voted for the map. Luckily there's a report tool but Jesus. I've voiced displeasure at maps before but chill kid.

Betsuni wrote: »

I always vote for the one map I figure nobody wants just to drive my multiplier up. That way when those two maps pop up I can vote for Caustic or Mt. Doom.
    Yeah, but so does everyone else and then we end up with Incursion and no one actually wanted Incursion.

I’ll admit I enjoy incursion because NASCAR is a great way to auto-lose.

Betsuni wrote: »

Yeah, but so does everyone else and then we end up with Incursion and no one actually wanted Incursion.

I... I also like Incursion. Mainly because it is different than normal modes and heck, the enemy team can die from turrets if they're dumb (I've seen one match end with the turrets killing the last survivor).

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Nips wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    I did finally noticed some difference in weapons / grades thereof today. I never looked at 20-grade AC weapons because they're so heavy but when testing them today I finally realized they have low range on the optimal end, and it also got me to notice that LBX has better range than regular and Ultra AC. It seems a bit counter intuitive in my head.

Welcome to the "The original designers had no idea how actual ballistic weapons functioned" club!

Here's your tinfoil hat, and the schematics to make more pancake-shaped munitions.

This is actually flawed reasoning. The author assumes the amount of propellant is proportional to the bore size and that the cartridge size diameter is also the same as the bore size, and neither are necessarily true.

If you assume the smaller AC rounds are “necked down” and have more propellent relative to bore size than the big bore rounds then the increased ranges and accuracy makes sense.

Compare a .223 AR-15 to a 7.62x39 AK. The AK bore size is much larger (about 33% in diameter) but it has worse range and accuracy. Why? The .223 round is actually a similar sized cartridge necked down further and actually has about the same amount of propellant as the 762x39.

Jealous Deva on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just unlocked the "STEINER" decal from a supply cache.

Time to slap it on all my Assault mechs.

Also in the spirit of respecting a stock loadout (or as close to it as possible) I'm gonna try learning to love my Stormcrow (Prime).

Nobody wrote: »
    It's just the mode where the side whose Lights know how it works win, and then you wait 5 minutes for the winners to be declared after everyone on the losing side is already dead.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I did finally noticed some difference in weapons / grades thereof today. I never looked at 20-grade AC weapons because they're so heavy but when testing them today I finally realized they have low range on the optimal end, and it also got me to notice that LBX has better range than regular and Ultra AC. It seems a bit counter intuitive in my head.

Welcome to the "The original designers had no idea how actual ballistic weapons functioned" club!

Here's your tinfoil hat, and the schematics to make more pancake-shaped munitions.

This is actually flawed reasoning. The author assumes the amount of propellant is proportional to the bore size and that the cartridge size diameter is also the same as the bore size, and neither are necessarily true.

If you assume the smaller AC rounds are “necked down” and have more propellent relative to bore size than the big bore rounds then the increased ranges and accuracy makes sense.

Compare a .223 AR-15 to a 7.62x39 AK. The AK bore size is much larger (about 33% in diameter) but it has worse range and accuracy. Why? The .223 round is actually a similar sized cartridge necked down further and actually has about the same amount of propellant as the 762x39.

A .223 and 7.62x39 would both take up roughly the same volume in a magazine, which leaves you with the other issue that article was trying to solve that AC20 ammo is 5 rounds per ton and AC2 ammo is 45 rounds per ton. That volume problem could be solved if all AC's are just burst fire instead of single shot, which some autocannons conically are. So an AC2 might fire a single 2pt damage bullet, but an AC20 is just firing a 10 round burst of larger bullet/same size cartridge ammo to do its damage. It also conveniently makes the ammo volumes more logically consistent as all ammo box sizes would hold about 50 rounds, where the "ammo count" is then just the number of bursts you get out of it, not the actual number of rounds.

You just need to contradict canon that says some AC's do in fact fire single large bullets. And it's rather harder to reconcile a 25mm AC2 bore and a 203mm AC20 bore having the same cartridge size than between a .223 and 7.62x39. A 203mm sized propellant charge behind a 25mm bore would likely just make the weapon explode.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    edited January 2021
    Nobody wrote: »
    It's just the mode where the side whose Lights know how it works win, and then you wait 5 minutes for the winners to be declared after everyone on the losing side is already dead.

That reminds me of the early maps where one ECM Raven could take out the entire base by itself with the ERLL. Then the Linebacker ERPPC base rush...

Edit:
    Also in the spirit of respecting a stock loadout (or as close to it as possible) I'm gonna try learning to love my Stormcrow (Prime).

I forgot to mention that you could do private matches where it is set to limit stock loadouts. At least I think there was an option that reverts anything taken in to their stock loadout. I personally have one of my Urbanmechs as stock just in case.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Fun discovery about Incursion:
    You know those barriers around the batteries? What if I told you that shots pass right through them?

For real though, my mode preference:

Skirmish with a square you can stand in to end game faster if last guy is hiding (Assault)
    Skirmish
    Incursion
    Conquest
    Skirmish in the pee stain (Domination)

edited January 2021
    I just remembered when they made Assault have turrets. WOW that was painful, especially when some of them seemed to be streak SRMs.

Edit: Also I did not know that about the spoiler. Hmm...

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    edited January 2021
    Oh man...it would've been awesomehilarious if the LRM head-seeking bug was in when they introduced the LRM turrets to Assault. I actually can't remember when that bug happened, but I kind of vaguely remember it wasn't around when turrets were introduced.

EDIT - if it was, a stealth light armed with only a NARC beacon would be the most lethal badass in a match.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Oh man...it would've been awesomehilarious if the LRM head-seeking bug was in when they introduced the LRM turrets to Assault. I actually can't remember when that bug happened, but I kind of vaguely remember it wasn't around when turrets were introduced.

EDIT - if it was, a stealth light armed with only a NARC beacon would be the most lethal badass in a match.

LRM head seeking was in Battletech not Mechwarrior iirc

Also, the turrets remained dormant until enemy mechs got in range to activate them, so NARC wouldnt help too much.

I definitely remember it made flanking a pita on small maps, as even if you weren’t trying to ninja the base, the distance between the base and the map center, and where the enemy firing line would setup, meant you would activate the turrets if you weren’t supremely careful.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    edited January 2021

Also, the turrets remained dormant until enemy mechs got in range to activate them, so NARC wouldnt help too much.

I definitely remember it made flanking a pita on small maps, as even if you weren’t trying to ninja the base, the distance between the base and the map center, and where the enemy firing line would setup, meant you would activate the turrets if you weren’t supremely careful.

Oh no, it was definitely a Mechwarrior thing. I believe it was right around the time of when SRMs got fixed from dealing back-damage when shooting targets in the front. No, it made no sense that SRM damage was linked to LRM tracking...but this is PGI we're talking about here.

EDIT - basically, if I remember right, the LRM attack angle came in juuuust right that all missile impacts were hitting the cockpit.

Erlkönig on

A .223 and 7.62x39 would both take up roughly the same volume in a magazine, which leaves you with the other issue that article was trying to solve that AC20 ammo is 5 rounds per ton and AC2 ammo is 45 rounds per ton. That volume problem could be solved if all AC's are just burst fire instead of single shot, which some autocannons conically are. So an AC2 might fire a single 2pt damage bullet, but an AC20 is just firing a 10 round burst of larger bullet/same size cartridge ammo to do its damage. It also conveniently makes the ammo volumes more logically consistent as all ammo box sizes would hold about 50 rounds, where the "ammo count" is then just the number of bursts you get out of it, not the actual number of rounds.

You just need to contradict canon that says some AC's do in fact fire single large bullets. And it's rather harder to reconcile a 25mm AC2 bore and a 203mm AC20 bore having the same cartridge size than between a .223 and 7.62x39. A 203mm sized propellant charge behind a 25mm bore would likely just make the weapon explode.

It wouldn’t necessarily be the same size though, the ac2s would just be bigger relatively than the ac20s.

Like from an AR-15 platform, you can fire a .223 and a .50 bushmaster from the same gun with a different barrel, the bushmaster is a bigger cartridge though and the magazines can only hold 10. Or you can fire a .30 caliber 300 blackout round with yet another barrel, which is the same size as the .223 round. All these have very different properties but can be basically fired out of the same gun. With a bit more modification to the platform it can even fire a 12 gauge shotgun round (.72 caliber). Though IIRC this requires a different lower because they are too big to feed through a stock lower so its something that has to be made from the factory rather than something someone can change at home.

Still though you have basically one platform that can fire anything from .223 to .72 caliber projectiles. I imagine ACs are like that.

For real though, my personal Incursion changes:

Remove battery mechanic.

Batteries now become indestructible UAVs with increased range when you capture them.

Bases are stronger (more HP, better turrets).

The more captured nodes, the weaker the base. Controlling one node brings everything down to about 50% better than current. Two brings them down to current values. Control all 3 and turrets are deactivated with buildings made of tissue paper.

There, shuts down rushing the base, makes the nodes worth fighting over, as well as giving scouts something to do for objectives later in the match.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The main error is in thinking that an AC20 projectile would be 10 times larger in every dimension than an AC 2. If it does 10x the damage it would have 10x the mass and so an AC2 might be 25mm then an AC 20 would be 53mm (at the same velocity load) not whatever they had it at.

wbBv3fj.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The main error is in thinking that an AC20 projectile would be 10 times larger in every dimension than an AC 2. If it does 10x the damage it would have 10x the mass and so an AC2 might be 25mm then an AC 20 would be 53mm (at the same velocity load) not whatever they had it at.

square/cubed law math is hard (or more to the point, the designers were ignorant of it)

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Or they didn't care because it wasn't important. There are multiple different types of AC/X with different canonical constructions. The value just gives you how they perform in game because that is the only thing that matters.

wbBv3fj.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    At the end of the day, an AC/20 shot is a pancake

that's okay

edited January 2021
    Orca wrote: »
    At the end of the day, an AC/20 shot is a pancake

that's okay

Or a bottle-nosed porpoise.

...which is also okay.

Erlkönig on
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Oh no, it was definitely a Mechwarrior thing. I believe it was right around the time of when SRMs got fixed from dealing back-damage when shooting targets in the front. No, it made no sense that SRM damage was linked to LRM tracking...but this is PGI we're talking about here.

EDIT - basically, if I remember right, the LRM attack angle came in juuuust right that all missile impacts were hitting the cockpit.

Absolutely this. There was a time where PGI was trying to adjust the flight height and angle of attack on LRMs due to (live) playtesting and feedback, and at one point they adjusted it so high that missiles fell almost like rain. Like, 10 degrees off perpendicular to the ground. This was also while LRMs were tracking center of mass as their target, so like.....darts from on high roughly all falling in that head and center torso wedge. Crazy stuff.

It was a glorious several weeks where they kept trying to fix it, and it kept getting fucked up, and we'd drop like 120-plus LRMs on duders as a lance and just laugh as they couldn't find any cover worth hiding behind.

[Edit] Goddamn I miss those days. I might just come back to rabbit and NARC for you gents, just to watch rain fall on suckas. That is, if AMS wasn't so damn strong, cause it is right now, right?

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I just remember the b33f video where he was on the test server and the Trebuchet (I think) had like +1000% cooldown that basically made it like machine guns. It was glorious.
    fakeedit: here we go!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mNWybex0u4

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited January 2021
    Goumindong wrote: »

That’s assuming the same velocity. A .45 pistol throws a huge bullet in comparison to something like a five seven pistol but the velocity is much lower, you would need a much bigger size gun to match the same velocities.

The barrel length at least on the ACs should be relatively in the same ballpark,the 20 only weighs about twice as much as the 2 IIRC, and with the lower range I think its reasonable to assume the AC20 would be throwing out projectiles a lot slower than the AC2.

Jealous Deva on