As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2021 Coup Thread

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

This is why you do not piss off people below you who you need to do things like go over your statements

Edit:

Hahahaha

Couscous on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Hey, now, who hasn't copied some of their previous work and passed it off as new just to shave a few minutes off a project you clearly don't want to do?

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    to be fair, hammering home messaging by repeating phrases from past speeches isn't exactly unusual

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    it is a stupid message betrayed by the actions of this administration, her entire family, and her own words, but

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    southwick wrote: »
    I'm really tired of Republicans doing the bad thing, then coming on the news telling us that, "now is the time to heal and move forward."

Looking at you Jim Jordan.

It's all of them. Definitely RNC distributed talking points.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I'm sort of nervous what's going to happen when the final shoe drops for these nutjobs that are 100% in on this crap. EDIT: THIS IS NOT TRUE. It's 100% BS.
    g39a9m42h750.png

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Look, she just didn't have an aide that could go through Michelle's speeches, so she went with what she had.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Holy shit if Parler is completely compromised including private messages and file uploads (deleted or not)...that squeak you just heard is all the right wing asshole's assholes clenching across the country.

If it was that vulnerable we can probably assume state actors already scraped it, so publicizing everything reduces the chance illegal / embarrassing activity can be used as kompromat. Although I imagine we're going to see a lot of USSS visits and FBI arrests once they pour through private messages.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    In more original letter writing, I wrote to my congressperson to affirm that there needs to be swift consequences for the participants and instigators of last week's insurrection. There is little chance he was not going to be for it, but I feel better for doing so.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Is that real?

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    at least she still has a twitter?

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Look, she just didn't have an aide that could go through Michelle's speeches, so she went with what she had.

At least she copied herself this time.

• Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I'm sort of nervous what's going to happen when the final shoe drops for these nutjobs that are 100% in on this crap.

g39a9m42h750.png

Wait what is this real?

I assume not because if it was two hours old that's a whole shitshow but you can't just drop something like that in the thread without more info. It's not funny if real and not funny if a joke.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Can we not do satire right now, please?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    You do not have to all lives matter a goddamned insurrection

• Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I'm sort of nervous what's going to happen when the final shoe drops for these nutjobs that are 100% in on this crap.

g39a9m42h750.png

Can you provide some context for that?

• Options
    Can we not do satire right now, please?
    Couscous wrote: »
    You do not have to all lives matter a goddamned insurrection

They do it because they enjoy it. Because they are awful.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey guys let's not post crazy shit from Parler like it was a reputable source or something.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Isn’t Parler down and has been for days? I doubt that’s real in the sense it’s not Trump doing it but it’s probably a real Part post of a fake Trump?

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Isn’t Parler down and has been for days? I doubt that’s real in the sense it’s not Trump doing it but it’s probably a real Part post of a fake Trump?

Team Trump is his campaign.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    That doesn't look real due to TeamTrumpNews, etc., but the crazies are convinced that's what Trump is doing next. All sorts of rumors of him leaving DC and the Act going into effect this week.

i.e., these are where the goalposts have been moved.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »

None of the cable news networks are covering it at the moment.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2021
    In the time it took me to post that last message at least three people saw the post in question and have (understandably) asked "wait is that real?", which demonstrates why we have the very clear and wise rules about not posting satire or unsourced bullshit.

Fucking think before you post something like that, guys.

Bogart on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Let's all recall that a post like that is extremely easy to fake just via editing the source of a webpage. No photoshop trickery involved.

Considering it's exactly what the MAGA-chuds are creaming their pants over fantasizing about, and there's no coverage of it anywhere, I'm gonna go with "Probably not real".

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Trump apparently to speak later today about how he's been silenced by tech companies.

• Options
    Let's all recall that a post like that is extremely easy to fake just via editing the source of a webpage. No photoshop trickery involved.

Considering it's exactly what the MAGA-chuds are creaming their pants over fantasizing about, and there's no coverage of it anywhere, I'm gonna go with "Probably not real".

The "probably" is doing enough lifting to frighten me, though.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Trump apparently to speak later today about how he's been silenced by tech companies.

The irony is palpable

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Parlor is apparently so compromised that anyone can make themselves an admin.

That post is clearly not Trump, because it uses complete sentences. And not one of his handlers because they don't use the all caps when they take his phone from him.

So it's just some asshat who heard anyone can recover anyone's password at anytime and decided "hey, what if I started a(nother) armed insurrection? wouldn't that be fun?"

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    C'mon, McFly

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

The "probably" is doing enough lifting to frighten me, though.

Yeah, I figured it was fake because were it genuine and verified I'm pretty sure two hours on isn't the first we would have heard of it. If it was a '43 seconds ago' or something and I didn't know Parler was down, I would be flipping on the TV.

Because while it would be ridiculous and beyond the pale, there's a non-zero chance that it could realistically happen in the next week or two. Probably the biggest tell it's fake is the big properly spelled words and decent grammar.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

“I have been silenced! All that is left to me is the official communications resources of the US federal government, dozens of radio programs, 3 captive cable networks, and the fact that I can start my own website/blog page pretty much any time I want! “

I had someone yesterday suggest that Twitter and Facebook were public utilities and banning someone was equivalent to cutting off their phone service or whatnot.

And I’m like

1. If you fuck around on your Cellphone committing crimes or harrassing people they can and will absolutely cut it off.
    2. I can’t just get some people together start my own cellphone company any time I want, while anyone with a reasonable amount of cash can set up a web forum.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Where was this GOP political fervor when the right shut down Gawker media? When twitter and youtube silenced thousands of LGBT channels of all types as being profane?

Oh, right. IOKIYAR.

Enc on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Sorry, it's conspiracy nut jobs sharing this. There is 0 credibility to it. But they believe it.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    So it's actually a thing that's out there? Well, fuck me.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Aw man, Parler's colossal fuckup might actually save the republic from a ton of future issues. Granted, it depends on how fucking dumb these people were. To do a quick speedrun of things. NC elected a shitty republican as their state supreme court chief justice and the fucker is already purging people that he can fire on a whim. Then there is the whole issue of a number of rural states chucking out their democratic politicians and moderate republican politicians for archconservatives that don't want to raise taxes and cut everything, who blame all the state issues with money on DC. Pretty much one thing this coup should make apparent, is that even though it was incited by Trump, the issue will not go away once he is out of the picture.

With luck a ton of these fucking fascists will have used Parler to discuss all sorts of illegal activities. So maybe many of them will get removed from office on account of being in jail for various offences.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

So he will get in front of a couple dozen news organizations, to give a speech millions of people will either watch, read, or hear about, and whine about being silenced.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    "We can't have more impeachments, censures or investigations because then Trump's base will become angrier!", said by the same people who used to say that it was very horrible to say trump's base is angry and violent, and also know full well that demands of investigations into the validity of Biden's victory will NOT lead to Biden's base trying to lynch republicans, or beating police to death.

Absalon on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Aw man, Parler's colossal fuckup might actually save the republic from a ton of future issues. Granted, it depends on how fucking dumb these people were. To do a quick speedrun of things. NC elected a shitty republican as their state supreme court chief justice and the fucker is already purging people that he can fire on a whim. Then there is the whole issue of a number of rural states chucking out their democratic politicians and moderate republican politicians for archconservatives that don't want to raise taxes and cut everything, who blame all the state issues with money on DC. Pretty much one thing this coup should make apparent, is that even though it was incited by Trump, the issue will not go away once he is out of the picture.

With luck a ton of these fucking fascists will have used Parler to discuss all sorts of illegal activities. So maybe many of them will get removed from office on account of being in jail for various offences.

Not so fast, people are doing the thing we all feared where they sign is as the president and try to start a war

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »

So he will get in front of a couple dozen news organizations, to give a speech millions of people will either watch, read, or hear about, and whine about being silenced.

Yes.

Though somebody on CNN stated they wouldn't carry anything live.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Here's another reason that waiting to Impeach is a terrible fucking idea: Congress isn't being briefed on what the fuck happened.

Ilhan Omar, Congresswoman for Minnesota:
    In the last four days, there has been zero federal law enforcement briefings on the failed attempt coup.

And zero briefings to Members of Congress.

This whole situation is maddening.

There may be valid reasons for this, but it boils down to "so fucking classified we can't tell you." Maybe that's the case. I really hope it is. Because what feels most likely is the Executive Branch frantically covering up as much as they can.

Does impeaching actually change that?

AFAIK the process would involve the House doing investigation before actually impeaching. After they actually impeach it goes to the Senate to do that stuff. And we all I'm sure remember how this exact Senate treated the last impeachment trial and how eager they were to allow evidence in.

Is there a provision where impeaching forces the executive to share this information with congress?
    If we had a properly functioning government? Pence would have invoked the 25th immediately, removing Trump from the chain of command while Congress drafted articles of impeachment. Once ratified and sent to the Senate, they'd vote to remove and a joint investigation would be launched from both chambers and the executive.

Even without the 25th, voting to impeach sends a clear signal to everyone that the House is going to come looking for answers. It's already illegal to destroy government documents before their expiration date, but this gives moral backup to folk in position to undermine the folk committing crimes. We already know there are folk in government who are unwilling to just go along with all the illegal shit, but signaling that we're going to do something about all of this means more folk will be willing to do the right thing.

There's going to be a paper trail, both digital and physical. Maybe we don't have Trump saying the exact words "make sure nobody shoots at my protestors," (though, c'mon, after the shit he said to Raffensperger? we might) but this shit didn't happen in a vacuum. Every bit of evidence is crucial.

Waffling on consequences + allowing the GOP time to set up "hey, this was a bad time, but we're family and family has to stick together?" shit makes me worry that some of those people are going to work to cover things up then be too afraid of consequences to do the right thing later.

This discussion has been closed.