As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tech] Most of the time it's not actively trying to kill you

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    so Escape from Tarkov has an in-game bitcoin item which is essentially a widget you sell to vendors for money... and the price the vendors pay for the bitcoin is tied to the real life price of bitcoin and... yeah....

i think traditionally they've sold for around 150k in-game rubles, they're currently going for 600k lol

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Damnit I really thought we were finished with that one at least.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    TkFMjBx.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvWiCclESL8

i could use some sick-ass RGBs on my mask, actually

• Options
    also I thought valved masks were supposed to be bad because they let potentially contaminated droplets out

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2021
    Brolo wrote: »
    also I thought valved masks were supposed to be bad because they let potentially contaminated droplets out

they are, those type are only good for smoke/particulate filtering.
    That said they look rad

edit: hmm I watched the video and hmm I have a lot of thoughts now about this design in general
    I do enjoy that their CEO has never practiced looking natural while reading off a teleprompter though, gives a nice low budget indie vibe to the whole thing.

tynic on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I don't see how that's a N95 respirator, it does not look like it will seal against the face well enough (plus the vents)

but now we have RGB going for us, so that's nice.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    yeah now that's a cyberpunk mask design i can get behind for our current dystopia

also to go back to the electric car discussion, i'm probably in the market for a new car this year and i'm thinking a plug-in hybrid option from Toyota, Honda, or Subaru because of the mountains in the area, but my average daily drive never really exceeding 30mi round trip.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    I'm very interested in at least testing the VW electric offerings because I very much like how their diesel golf drives, and the price point is reasonable.

that said i'm not really in the market right now so I'm hoping the tech becomes both more advanced and greener in the next 2-3 years

• Options
    i want a self-driving car that doesn't require me own a license

but this technology constantly feels like its 3-5 years worth of tech advancement and 10+ years of legislation away

• Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    but this technology constantly feels like its 3-5 years worth of tech advancement and 10+ years of legislation away

That'd be because most legislators are old enough to think autonomous driving means a humanoid robot with a metal moustache behind the wheel.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Silmaril wrote: »

That'd be because most legislators are old enough to think autonomous driving means a humanoid robot with a metal moustache behind the wheel.

Like in the good old days

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options

In my professional opinion this nonsensical arrangement would actually make a lot of people more comfortable with self-driving cars
    the psychological impact of embodiment combined with some personification of blame would be reassuring

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

It feels more to me like the tech is constantly 15+ years worth of advancement away while being advertised as 2 years of advancement away

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

It feels more to me like the tech is constantly 15+ years worth of advancement away while being advertised as 2 years of advancement away

2 years if you want it to mostly work. 15 years if you want it to not kill you and your closest family.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

In my professional opinion this nonsensical arrangement would actually make a lot of people more comfortable with self-driving cars
    the psychological impact of embodiment combined with some personification of blame would be reassuring

yes, bring on the Johnny Cabs I say

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options

2 years if you want it to mostly work*. 15 years if you want it to not kill you and your closest family.

* on a freshly painted road with other cars driven by robots on a bright sunny day and no pedestrians

• Options
    * on a freshly painted road with other cars driven by robots on a bright sunny day and no pedestrians

The self driving car equivalent of "well it worked on my dev machine"

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Most companies working on it are well past "we accidentally hit someone" because literally everyone is doing it better than Tesla even though they probably have the largest data pool to work with.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    There's also Uber, who I think sold off their self-driving branch recently to someone?

• Options
    my money is on Toyota getting something through legislation and into real world usage first, but it will be incredibly constrained, expensive, and frustrating to actually use. Like all their robotics stuff.

• Options
    There's also Uber, who I think sold off their self-driving branch recently to someone?

Did they sell it or just give up? I know they've stopped. At a guess they realised it was hard, and the regulation that'll come with it will be crippling for years.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Yeah, to a startup called Aurora for a minority stake in the company. Among the the stakeholders is Amazon, probably not to your surprise.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I still think "Moon" got it right. Just give me a screen with an emoji along with a voice. That's enough to humanize it for me. I don't need full on robotic faces or anything.

mr3zr8p3uj9k.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i really like the vw id.3, as it's similar to the golf tdi i've been driving for a decade now and love to pieces, but america isn't getting it because apparently we're only allowed to have suvs.

idk i absolutely hate the us car market. hatchbacks are the best car.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Most companies working on it are well past "we accidentally hit someone" because literally everyone is doing it better than Tesla even though they probably have the largest data pool to work with.

They stubbornly wanted to solve using basically only computer vision (and some proximity radar), but turns out that's much less reliable than LIDAR for many reasons.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I still think "Moon" got it right. Just give me a screen with an emoji along with a voice. That's enough to humanize it for me. I don't need full on robotic faces or anything.

mr3zr8p3uj9k.jpg

09vq9quvur05.jpg

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

mr3zr8p3uj9k.jpg

09vq9quvur05.jpg

I would expect nothing less from this post.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

Yeah, to a startup called Aurora for a minority stake in the company. Among the the stakeholders is Amazon, probably not to your surprise.

Aurora is also a bunch of the original google/waymo people. They're probably going to be key/winners on the software side of all of it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »

Aurora is also a bunch of the original google/waymo people. They're probably going to be key/winners on the software side of all of it.

Yep. Funny enough, remember when Uber got into legal heat when poaching that Google engineer who was accused of stealing a bunch of trade secrets? It's like poetry it rhy---

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

mr3zr8p3uj9k.jpg

09vq9quvur05.jpg

Why did they even make that an option

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    re: the razr gamer masks: I don't think those are valves, I think they are speakers with microphones on the inside of them to try to unmuffle your voice.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    re: the razr gamer masks: I don't think those are valves, I think they are speakers with microphones on the inside of them to try to unmuffle your voice.

I thought that at first, but they specifically call them valves in the video. And mention releasing co2 buildup through them. That said, depending on what the lining on the valves is, they may not send out any more particles than your average cloth mask.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    hmm maybe there's a cloth liner inside the grate, along with whatever speaker doohicky.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    But will the RGB masks come with an optional plague doctor beak for peak plaguepunk aesthetic?

fakeedit: I think I just coined the term Plaguepunk. You saw it here first, folks.

inb4 "appropriate username is appropriate"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Lol tox im sorry homeboy, there is absolutely no way you were the first person to come up with Plaguepunk
    Because you didn’t say TM! Hahaha I declare trademark on plaguepunk tm tm tm tm

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I've got bad news for you Tox:

https://www.wired.com/2007/03/make-way-for-pl/
    For those of a Medieval bent, there's plaguepunk, tales set in the plague-ridden late middle ages. The best example of the genre is Connie Willis' brilliant, vivid novel Doomsday Book, about a Medievalist from a future Oxford who travels back in time to study a village where the bubonic plague is about to hit. Armed only with a souped-up immune system and a brain implant that translates Medieval English into modern, she finds herself getting way too emotionally involved with her research subjects. Other entries in the genre include the cheesy-ass flick *Timeline *(time-traveling archaeologists meet Joan of Arc and say "dude" a lot), and the beautiful, haunting The Navigator, about 14th Century visionaries digging a tunnel to 20th Century New Zealand to flee the Black Death.

• Options
    Oh hey The Navigator fucked me right up as a kid

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Okay well maybe I didn't come up with the word "plaguepunk" but I definitely invented the word "plagiarism"

So.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    TkFMjBx.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvWiCclESL8

i could use some sick-ass RGBs on my mask, actually

Gonna need to see people with glasses wear those, bud. Also the price.

sig.gif
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    ScreenRant wrote:
    Although Razer has now announced its new smart face mask, there’s currently no word on how much it will cost or when it will be available to buy. In fact, it may never become available for purchase, considering this is more of a concept announcement than anything else. However, the company has said it plans to continue working on the smart mask concept and will utilize "rigorous testing and user feedback" to make any design changes it feels will improve the mask’s functionality and performance.

So... what's the point of this?

euj90n71sojo.png
This discussion has been closed.