As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Lego] Thread

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I have Thursday off.

It's 78 miles to the Lego store, we got a full tank of gas, half a bottle of Dr. Pepper, it's winter and I'm wearing sunglasses.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Man, these Ninjago sets are really beautiful. I wish I had the space for them.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I never wanted docks until i saw it nestled between the other two sets.

I need a new house.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Razorcrest and Cantina are both back in stock in Canada.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    @timspork's ghost Mos Eisley Cantina is in stock at Lego.com right now if you haven't managed to get one yet.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I ordered it! Thanks!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    hrm, just got the new magazine with the police station modular.

I suppose I can make a "police station getting demolished/remodeled" diorama out of it...

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    hrm, just got the new magazine with the police station modular.

I suppose I can make a "police station getting demolished/remodeled" diorama out of it...

A "police station getting demolished/remodeled by brightly colored ninjas" diorama?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    The Cantina sold back out today. Back orders ship in 60 days.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »

I need a new house.

The docks is a really nice set even on its own! Sadly the best part of the model is the back, where the actual docks are, so I can't really display it well at its current location. But it might get moved - I haven't decided yet.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hey, Lego fixed my region issue, I can finally redeem VIP points again!

...oh, the VIP points suck now! D:

Well. That metal key chain looks cool at least.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I found the booklet on the Bonsai tree very informative. And I really hope they give the guy who designed this thing a chance to do more. The concepts behind him in the picture looked amazing, I'd love a willow tree set like that.

Here's me putting it together:

https://youtu.be/tVv5nSESVh4

Cute sidenote you might not want to be spoiled on ahead of time
    the buds being tiny frogs is a adorable

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Elbasunu wrote: »

I need a new house.

The docks is a really nice set even on its own! Sadly the best part of the model is the back, where the actual docks are, so I can't really display it well at its current location. But it might get moved - I haven't decided yet.

This is my problem, too. I can't display the good part of the dock and the city with them connected. (Also wish I had room to put the Bounty at the docks, but I don't).

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    My current room has a Kallax 4-tall on the wall (seen many times in my pics) and a kallax 2-tall behind my couch. My plan was to put my perfect grade gundams and Unicron behind the couch when they all were completed/showed up... but as I sit here thinking, I'm wondering if moving the city to that location would be a good idea so people can see them from all sides.

Edit: Unicron might just join me at a seat on a kitchen table. I am gonna need to buy a house for him no matter how I slice it.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Oh Lord Help Me.

I decided on a whim to do a search for lighting kits for my city.

... and yup! There's a company out there called "light my bricks" that has very simple, yet very thorough and pretty looking light kits for Lego. And they aren't all that expensive!

Sure, the cable management looks like it would be a pain to make it not look like a rat's nest... and I fear I'd lose the ability to play around / take apart the kits... but... Man it looks like something straight out of a cyberpunk future with the lighting kits...

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Oh Lord Help Me.

I decided on a whim to do a search for lighting kits for my city.

... and yup! There's a company out there called "light my bricks" that has very simple, yet very thorough and pretty looking light kits for Lego. And they aren't all that expensive!

Sure, the cable management looks like it would be a pain to make it not look like a rat's nest... and I fear I'd lose the ability to play around / take apart the kits... but... Man it looks like something straight out of a cyberpunk future with the lighting kits...

That's where my wife got my kits from. Right now I have the Lunar Lander and Ninjago City lit up (with Destiny''s Bounty and the Ninjago Dock kits waiting).

But you have most of the cons nailed. Cable Management in some areas is tough (they tell you to pull and wrap it, or tuck it under something, but in practice that was hard to do and everything just fell back down). That's for bundled cables, usually, they do a good job of hiding them where they can. You definitely can't take them apart afterwards. Moving the city back to it's spot I was terrified the roof or something would fall off and rip the cable out. All of the wiring seems pretty delicate.

That said, the kits are solid, they have really detailed instructions and they look fantastic lit up.

• Options
    I wonder if you could use conductive paint as jumpers between modules to help route things...

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The only building I've installed light kits so far is the Ghostbuster Firehouse, which is an ideal set for it since it can be opened like a doll house so the wires don't interfere.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Real question, when do new Lego kits go up for sale? Do I stay up for the Ninjago City tonight or hope for the best when I wake up for work tomorrow morning at 5:45.

• Options
    I'd heard midnight EST, but the Lantern Festival was up at around 20 minutes before that.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Man I really want to add the Ninjago Gardens to my Ninjago city set but $400 cad is a tough pill to swallow.
    I don't even care about Ninjago. The sets are just so aesthetically pleasing.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Real question, when do new Lego kits go up for sale? Do I stay up for the Ninjago City tonight or hope for the best when I wake up for work tomorrow morning at 5:45.

Like @Dark Raven X said usually around midnight EST (which is nice since it is 9 PM PST).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    *sigh*

Gonna make my life harder, but this is the page to watch...

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/ninjago-city-gardens-71741

• Options
    I might be moving next month for a new job. It's not too far away but too far for a commute. Anyone have advice or thoughts on packing a large number of lego sets for moving? I'm trying avoid breaking them down and putting them into gallon sized zip lock bags like I did the last time I moved.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    I might be moving next month for a new job. It's not too far away but too far for a commute. Anyone have advice or thoughts on packing a large number of lego sets for moving? I'm trying avoid breaking them down and putting them into gallon sized zip lock bags like I did the last time I moved.

We mostly have modulars, so when we moved I took each individual floor off, wrapped it in bubble wrap, and packed them in a tote. Vehicles and stuff got wrapped individually as well. It was somewhat time consuming but there was minimal reassembly to do on the other end, just put back on any bits that fell off in transit. The only sets that had a rough time were the Milano and Benny's Spaceship

• Options
    Yeah, I've often thought bubble wrap or shrink-wrap (like that stuff used to wrap pallets together for shipping) will do the trick. Basically adds to the overall clutch power of the bricks and protects them.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Personally I’d just wrap the sets in plastic wrap and just stick parts back on when I unwrap them. That way the pieces will be relatively close to their location.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    I basically did the same as above: For modulars, I pulled each floor apart and wrapped them in shrink wrap (maybe also bubble wrap if extra cushioning is needed). Be careful of baseplates to not wrap too tightly so they don't warp.

Small sets can just go into ziplocks as is. Stuff like spaceships/vehicles that are too big for a gallon bag are the trickiest but bubble wrap should work.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Speaking of moving stuff I really, really need to take down and dust all my modulars. But I also know it's going to be a huge ass pain so maybe they can just be dusty.

• Options
    I found one of the new TIE fighters. I really like the smaller size and it pairs well with the latest TIE advanced set (https://brickset.com/sets/75150-1/Vader-s-TIE-Advanced-vs-A-wing-Starfighter)

oh h*ck
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Wow, found out that the Lego Roses are backordered till late February (guessing everybody bought them for Valentine's Day). You can still get the Tulips though.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Yeah, it seems the botanical collection was a big hit. I was waiting on mine until I heard about a new contract at work, but now it seems I might not even be able to get one of that happens. Glad they’re popular, but I want them!

• Options
    pezgen wrote: »
    Yeah, it seems the botanical collection was a big hit. I was waiting on mine until I heard about a new contract at work, but now it seems I might not even be able to get one of that happens. Glad they’re popular, but I want them!

I saw them at Target and realized I really, REALLY shouldn't pass on getting the one I wanted.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I was reading a review of the stand-alone roses today, and was surprised to learn that they're not just a palette-swap of the ones in the bouquet; they actually have some different pieces in use for some of the leaves and petals.

I bought the bouquet and the bonsai tree on Jan 1st, and while the bouquet arrived several days ago, the bonsai tree is still backordered and its estimated delivery date has been pushed back twice, now.

• Options
    Gotta love the bots. Huge surge of the website running slow at midnight EST, but the buy link is not up yet, so that passed in like 2-3 minutes.

• Options
    Gotta have a VIP account, would think that's a slight roadblock to the bots. Hope, anyway... Still not up for me, c'mon Lego!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Gotta have a VIP account, would think that's a slight roadblock to the bots. Hope, anyway... Still not up for me, c'mon Lego!

Given that VIP accounts are free and easy, I assume the bots are all VIPs too.

And yeah, I'm hammering F5...

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    apparently drunk-me likes to order lego sets and promptly forget about them. I was like "wait, Mando Razorcrest? did someone order this for me as a gift or... oh. right. that night the other week."

CAN'T WAIT TO BUILD, GREAT JOB DRUNK ME

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Seeing on the Lego reddit a rumour that Ninjago City Gardens will be up at 9am EST, as Early Access is not a regular release type situation? Pfffbtt, now I just gotta decide wether to trust that or not.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Seeing on the Lego reddit a rumour that Ninjago City Gardens will be up at 9am EST, as Early Access is not a regular release type situation? Pfffbtt, now I just gotta decide wether to trust that or not.

I'm watching PlayFrame do Hades, and I'm not gonna wait much longer than the end of the video. :)

This discussion has been closed.