As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Streaming Services] Cable Television for the Internet Age

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Finished The Queen's Gambit. I enjoyed it overall, it definitely got better as it went along. But we all know it should have ended with "You did good, cracker, you did good", smash cut to credits.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I rather liked Richard Dean Anderson. He brought an energy to the show that some of the later folks when I watched commercials or clips didn't seem to have.

I too was surprised at the lack of good video game tie ins. X-Com would work, but also sort of a Myst puzzle/detective style could. The basic concept of "we found a Stargate, let's explore" leads to unlimited possibilities.

I loved RDA - in fact, the entire team were great, and had wonderful chemistry.

I wouldn’t mind a reboot, or a new series following on from the old, with RDA as the grizzled commander in charge of the project.

I'd prefer for them to keep on with the setting. The post-System Lord galaxy was still a pretty rough and tumble place, and one of the nice things about SG-1 was the continued development of Earth's technology as the series went on. It'd be more interesting to do something with that then to just having new characters acting like old characters rehashing the core conflicts of the original series.

SG:U: I liked that they went whole hog on what Destiny's mission was. Straight up search for God type stuff. Might have failed miserably, but it was a damn bold choice. Main thing I thought that killed the show was that it just had too damn many characters, and nearly everyone was so freaking angsty. And not 'we're stuck on a crapsack starship a bajillion light years from Earth' angsty. Freaking daddy issues and personality disorder angsty. I'm not asking for them to be SG-1 levels of excellent, just maybe pull their shit together a tiny bit.

Yeah I'd want something new or a complete reboot. RDA and the original cast was great and if I want to see them again, I can just stream the originals. Maybe a cameo down the road.

The Stargate idea just has so much you can do with it. Action, Adventure, Problem Solving, and on and on. Whatever episode type you want, you could probably do.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    The best Sci-fi show was clearly Lexx

Best? Eh....

Horniest? Absolutely

I enjoyed the sheer weirdness of it. Being a dumb sexy show seemed to have freed the writers from sticking with anything like normal genre conventions.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    The series falls apart for me about the time they start to try shoehorning in Atlantis stuff, then really goes off the rails (sometimes in amusing ways) for the last couple of seasons.

And about the only good thing I can say about Atlantis is at least it was trying to be as entertaining as SG-1 instead of being the grimdark, boring, BSG-wannabe Universe. But Atlantis still gets zero interest from me, mostly because of how blatantly they tried to (badly) copy-and-paste the original team into a new setting.

Space jehovah witnesses were a mistake for a new show big bad.

The problem inherent with SG-1 is you would be making a show known for its military support. It couldn't be remade or made now with how nationalism is going. It wasn't great before, but it could do things like featuring commanding officers and soldiers fucking up and trying to make diplomatic solutions on the fly. By the end of the series they were sending predator drones through the gates and theres even less reason now to be sending people. I liked that it addressed the problem of other countries knowing about the tech and rightfully being pissed off that we were solo using it to cement supremacy in tech and in space. I don't think you can really approach that stuff now.

I'd like to know what happened to Atlantis though besides 'we magicked it away again to protect it and earth' that they would have to do.

edit: the best we could get is 'wormhole x treme', but if people got ideas about that, I am listening.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular

Best? Eh....

Horniest? Absolutely

Second most Canadian...

steam_sig.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Smaug6 wrote: »

Best? Eh....

Horniest? Absolutely

Second most Canadian...

Was the foremost canadian show Big Wolf on Campus?

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Best? Eh....

Horniest? Absolutely

Second most Canadian...

I don't think we could really label Big Wolf on Campus a Sci-Fi show.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The series falls apart for me about the time they start to try shoehorning in Atlantis stuff, then really goes off the rails (sometimes in amusing ways) for the last couple of seasons.

And about the only good thing I can say about Atlantis is at least it was trying to be as entertaining as SG-1 instead of being the grimdark, boring, BSG-wannabe Universe. But Atlantis still gets zero interest from me, mostly because of how blatantly they tried to (badly) copy-and-paste the original team into a new setting.

The problem inherent with SG-1 is you would be making a show known for its military support. It couldn't be remade or made now with how nationalism is going. It wasn't great before, but it could do things like featuring commanding officers and soldiers fucking up and trying to make diplomatic solutions on the fly. By the end of the series they were sending predator drones through the gates and theres even less reason now to be sending people. I liked that it addressed the problem of other countries knowing about the tech and rightfully being pissed off that we were solo using it to cement supremacy in tech and in space. I don't think you can really approach that stuff now.

I'd like to know what happened to Atlantis though besides 'we magicked it away again to protect it and earth' that they would have to do.

edit: the best we could get is 'wormhole x treme', but if people got ideas about that, I am listening.

That's more a problem with the world than the show, but same end result I suppose.

We need more shows for me to watch, so a SG-1 reboot is worth a shot since they reboot everything else.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

Best? Eh....

Horniest? Absolutely

Second most Canadian...

I don't think we could really label Big Wolf on Campus a Sci-Fi show.

I'll allow it

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

Just skip forward a bit to where Stargate tech is out to everyone on Earth, and the adventurous can download open source plans and 3d print your own gate. There's a million possibilities there for stories where our protagonists aren't military or space cops or whatever

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I think it's silly to be concerned about making a military scifi show today, but in any case yes the best way to proceed is to make a sequel, not a reboot (please God, no more reboots or prequels of any old property).

Peter F. Hamilton has a series of books with a similar premise, it'd be easy to do. It's 2100 or so and the "Tau'Ri" are the dominant power in the galaxy, with a sphere of colonized worlds centered around Earth, connected by rail lines through stargates, maglev trains zipping through gates on rigid timetables, humanity sprawled across a few dozen to couple hundred worlds. Tell any story you want, motley crew of prospectors taking their chances on uncharted worlds through the gate for that old style rehash? Settlers on the newly colonized worlds? Slice of life drama, someone living in an "outer" planet and commuting in to Earth on the subway? Or new alien threat and it's a military drama.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Eh, I feel like the original series pretty much ended where the show logically should've ended: humanity about to begin regular interstellar travel without being seriously threatened. Past that point, it just heads into Star Trek territory. The replicators should've been the end-point of the dramatic arc of the show; the Auri were just a crappy way to draw out basically the one single show Scifi had that they knew drew enough of a crowd to be a reliable series.

Even then, Stargate tech would need to be hideously restricted. Look at how many times the SG program almost ends the world by walking something through the gate and how many times they "only" almost destroy the mountain itself. Dialing up any unknown location has a non-zero chance of a high-speed download of a variety of diseases, critters, natural events, interstellar events, and sentient beings intent on destroying or conquering the planet. Seriously, they had to drag a world-threatening thing home like... twenty different times.

The only reason they kept risking using the gate was to get the tech to prevent Earth from getting wiped out. And by the end of the series, they had that and more; the Asgardians handed over their tech to humanity, the replicants were toast, the Ancient/Auri situation was handled. Humanity is basically the powerhouse in the galaxy, plus can hop galaxies now. Not really any point to Stargate anymore, or at least not running the program anywhere near the same way.

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Sure, so do it for profit rather than military necessity. The Air Force has space ships but the Stargate network is the regular Joe's interstellar travel, riding the rails in the civilized worlds and hoofing it through to unexplored planets looking for that lucky strike.

It'd be kinda like a Western, gold prospectors, oil men, wildcat homesteaders, etc. in a scifi form.

You could definitely make it work, but I agree there isn't a compelling reason to, 10 seasons and 2 spin off series is more than any show can ask for.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Frankly I'd much much rather have a reboot of Space Above and Beyond before anything Stargate related.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    The original SG-1 still holds up well today and the main thing I loved was the mash up of Sci-fi adventure around the unknown. Doing a sequel would be really tough to capture that magic. It's probably something that should just be left alone for another decade or 2 and then maybe they can reboot it.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Frankly I'd much much rather have a reboot of Space Above and Beyond before anything Stargate related.

This would absolutely be my preference. My biggest gripe about the show was how they did the annoying thing of having a military team that is, for some reason, trained to do everything from flying starfighters to driving tanks to doing special-ops wetwork, but other than that the show did a pretty great job of tackling issues as big as corporations secretly causing the war by being the aggressors into known alien space and as small as just one soldier looking for his wife.

That was a show cancelled years before its time and definitely deserves a modern do-over.
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    The original SG-1 still holds up well today and the main thing I loved was the mash up of Sci-fi adventure around the unknown. Doing a sequel would be really tough to capture that magic. It's probably something that should just be left alone for another decade or 2 and then maybe they can reboot it.

So much of SG-1 came down to the folks playing the team. The show never stops being pretty campy, but after 2-3 seasons together the SG-1 team and the ancillary characters worked together so well that they could get away with a lot of goofy things. You can't just force things like that to work, and the modern mini-season approach everything does would certainly make that much harder.

I guess they could just be grim-face serious from the start, but I don't think I'd particularly like a Stargate series that doesn't have room for, say, using the active Stargate as an indoor driving range.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    You can have pretty much any scene no matter the general tone. SG-1 did serious when it wanted to. Farscape was great at it. Chuck. Plenty of examples.

The time-loop episode was one of the best, though, yeah.

Xeddicus wrote: »
    You can have pretty much any scene no matter the general tone. SG-1 did serious when it wanted to. Farscape was great at it. Chuck. Plenty of examples.

The time-loop episode was one of the best, though, yeah.

IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    That black hole episode of SG-1 was creepy, tho. The time dilation through the stargate D:

Stabbity_Style.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pctx1gCtIB8

This was a good background listen while doing work, The Cinema Snob watched every Saved By the Bell episode in original air date order. Good for us enlightened who believe in the power of buddy bands, but I bring this up more because he does a quick review of the new 2020 series at around 2:12:00. In short, he mentions the only good thing is the old cast, it's too self-aware and sets up 90's strawmen to knock down because the show thinks it's better than you. Where the original was sincere even with all the wacky stuff that happened, it was a TV sitcom. He makes the point the new show isn't made by people who liked the original but just saw out of context clips of it to laugh at it (like the caffeine pills that they ran into the ground it seems).

Irony kills sincerity. Dab with your heart, not with a smirk UwU.

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    the new show isn't made by people who liked the original

That seems to be the cardinal sin of every bad reboot.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    On the other hand outside of that post I've only heard praise for the reboot.

Wait. It's not a reboot but a sequel, right?

honovere on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

it seems that every reboot starts with the entire cast on a parade of "I'm the biggest fan of *insert property here*. I watched all the episodes of the original, I swear!". It's not really a selling point.

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Umbrella Academy S2 was apparently pretty good, but I had enough issues with the first season to not watch it yet.

I have a question for those who watched it:
    Is it explained in any way, shape or form why was this Time Travel Agency opposed to saving the world from apocalypse? What do they gain from the death of almost entire human race? Please do not tell me that it is just an extreme example of them being Lawful Stupid...

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    Umbrella Academy S2 was apparently pretty good, but I had enough issues with the first season to not watch it yet.

Is it explained in any way, shape or form why was this Time Travel Agency opposed to saving the world from apocalypse? What do they gain from the death of almost entire human race? Please do not tell me that it is just an extreme example of them being Lawful Stupid...

Not really

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Not really

Because the plot demanded it, I guess. Actual motive isn't mentioned at all.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Well, that does not make me want to continue watching this series at all.

If that's a dealbreaker then it's a dealbreaker, no worries, however I'd highly endorse S2 on the basis of the vastly improved character development. And the soundtrack. Oh my God the soundtrack.
    If you're really looking for more meat on what the Agency is up to though, you'll be the saddest Panda ever.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Lexx: I remember some woman with platinum blonde hair who was pretty hot, some boobs and uhm, a dude with a bad haircut.

Nosf on
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

They just insist on time happening as it is meant to, and since they will be unaffected, it doesn't matter.

AlphaRomero on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

It seems like to me they shouldn't just reboot things? Like nostalgia never holds up and newstalgia (my word dave) just reminds you of all things this new show isn't.

"What about kids cartoons?"

Different bag all together, kids cartoons were rebooted, booted, remade and made a million times already.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »

It seems like to me they shouldn't just reboot things? Like nostalgia never holds up and newstalgia (my word dave) just reminds you of all things this new show isn't.

"What about kids cartoons?"

Different bag all together, kids cartoons were rebooted, booted, remade and made a million times already.

I'm not even sure what making it a reboot of Saved By The Bell really gets you that leaving it as a generic classroom based sitcom doesn't.

For the Agency
    There is not a specific party mentioned, it's just the standard Agency objective for all of S1 and most of S2.

However, there are bits and pieces that show that the purpose of the Agency is not to end the world, there is an unknown 3rd party that has contracted/directed them to do it. And based on the events of S2, the purpose of the Agency has certainly been corrupted from what it might have been originally.

The Agency at the end of S2 is very different from where it starts in S1, so at the very least it is shown to be less than some unstoppable font of bureaucratic might. It gets influence by individuals the same as any other organization, and the Umbrella crew definitely fuck with that.

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Reboots can often be good when they come from a place of sincere enthusiasm for old shit.

But when your creative staff feels like they need to "fix" something that's "antiquated", that's a recipe for not making anyone happy.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    BSG reboot shows that rebooting crappy old shows is a viable option. Take an old show with a strong concept and some decent visuals and dump every other thing and hey presto, a good show. Maybe.

Bogart wrote: »
    BSG reboot shows that rebooting crappy old shows is a viable option. Take an old show with a strong concept and some decent visuals and dump every other thing and hey presto, a good show. Maybe.

Oh so we'll see a new star trek reboot?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

What helped BSG a lot is that the premise was always underused by the original version. And also the original was completely tonally wackadoodle.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Isn't discovery still kicking along? Or Picard?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

Discovery, Picard, Lower Decks, and The Orville.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian

But they aren't reboots and thus my joke. God damn it nerds.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.