As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[COFFEE] - Why the hell are we making meth?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I for one would love an espresseressero machine

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Drez, what is your budget?

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    And I apologize. I'd spell it accurately, but I have no idea how to spell "Cappuccino" correctly.

Gotta be honest, my first thought was, “Ooh - new drink I haven’t heard of before. Might need to see if there’s someone around here that makes it.”

Alt text: “Why, yes, that is totally a coffee drink I have had. Definitely in Seattle; they don’t make them as well down here.”

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    It's a single espresso mixed with lots lukewarm unfoamed oat milk and served inside a hollowed out watermelon

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    And I apologize. I'd spell it accurately, but I have no idea how to spell "Cappuccino" correctly.

I am now disappointed that Capaurachinos is not a real word. Someone should do something about that.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Drez, what is your budget?

@Soggybiscuit I don't want to spend more than $300 and even that is pushing it.

The Mr. Coffee one I linked is $260 for the Silver version and $280 for the Black version.

I'd go with a more expensive unit but they seem to jump from a couple hundred to a thousand plus, so huge gap and I don't intend to use it daily, necessarily.

edit: OK, maybe $350 is my hard limit but it would really need to be reeeeeeeeeeal good.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Sorry guys.

My goofball brain...

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

I am now disappointed that Capaurachinos is not a real word. Someone should do something about that.

Espresso with luminescent foam?

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So, I accidentally ended up with a bunch of whole beans. I'm guessing I should grind just what I'm going to drink that day? Should I put the unground beans in a ziploc or something?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    So, I accidentally ended up with a bunch of whole beans. I'm guessing I should grind just what I'm going to drink that day? Should I put the unground beans in a ziploc or something?
    Just grind before brewing. You can probably keep the beans in the bag they came in.

• Options
    Or, if you’re feeling really adventurous and experimental, grind after brewing.

• Options
    Anyway I’ve read that ideally you should brew within 15 minutes of grinding. I typically measure out 10.6-13.3g of beans and then grind that for a 6-10oz cup of coffee. Then I forget I made a cup and let it get cold until I remember. Then I drink it, a cold wet abysmal reminder of my own failures as a-

Wait what thread is this?

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Normally, I’d grind beans myself, and I’d go for something fair trade/organic/locally (or at least Canadian) roasted. But last weekend I was feeling nostalgic for Italy and got some already ground Lavazza Gran Selezione. To my surprise, it was really good. I’m tempted to get it again at some point.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    This video made a big difference. After a year of forcing myself to enjoy my mediocre V60 brewing based on a little coffee book, my coffee brewed this way is far more delicious.
    https://youtu.be/AI4ynXzkSQo

The new actions I take are making that little hole in the grounds, the swirling, and the spoon swirling near the end.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Who wants a $300 burr grinder? I love the design though, especially the adjustment knob.

https://youtu.be/Bo5nWbDqDC4

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Who wants a $300 burr grinder? I love the design though, especially the adjustment knob.

That thing is dangerously close in price to a Rancillo Rocky, a grinder that does everything it does and also does espresso well too. The Rocky has also got tons of spare parts available for it - something that gets mentioned in the video is the availability of spare parts for this thing.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

That thing is dangerously close in price to a Rancillo Rocky, a grinder that does everything it does and also does espresso well too. The Rocky has also got tons of spare parts available for it - something that gets mentioned in the video is the availability of spare parts for this thing.

Its like $75 more expensive, so I wouldn't really say that close in price. Based on what you said though, sounds like you're paying for the ability to do espresso. Spare parts would be a big concern though!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I got my first espresso machine! I went with something more budget level and automated, a Mr. Coffee One-Touch machine
    81Pm4ad615L._AC_SX466_.jpg
    I've made a couple Cappuccinos, Caramel Macchiatos and Lattes with it the last few days and they've tasted great (only things I've added have been vanilla syrup and/or caramel sauce), and I like how the frother is largely automated (you can toggle it a bit, but it's still far from being as good as a dedicated frother, though you can also just use the frother by itself which I used to add to a Chai tea). I have a small kitchen so space was a consideration, luckily this one is pretty small and fits perfect. It comes with a single and double shot, so I also got some 2oz glass single shot espresso glasses
    617xWUPBajL._AC_SX466_.jpg
    it's really neat seeing the layers and now I want to get 7oz and 16oz double glass mugs. I'm super hyped that I'm now able to brew some espresso drinks at home and not have to bother with Starbucks!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Mr. Coffee sounds like a brand from Fallout, so I'm kind of disappointed that it doesn't have a 50s aesthetic, but that's a good compact design

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Mr. Coffee sounds like a brand from Fallout, so I'm kind of disappointed that it doesn't have a 50s aesthetic, but that's a good compact design

Well it does run on an uranium slug, so there's that.

iFixIt gave it a -10mil repairability.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    I got my first espresso machine! I went with something more budget level and automated, a Mr. Coffee One-Touch machine
    I've made a couple Cappuccinos, Caramel Macchiatos and Lattes with it the last few days and they've tasted great (only things I've added have been vanilla syrup and/or caramel sauce), and I like how the frother is largely automated (you can toggle it a bit, but it's still far from being as good as a dedicated frother, though you can also just use the frother by itself which I used to add to a Chai tea). I have a small kitchen so space was a consideration, luckily this one is pretty small and fits perfect. It comes with a single and double shot, so I also got some 2oz glass single shot espresso glasses
    it's really neat seeing the layers and now I want to get 7oz and 16oz double glass mugs. I'm super hyped that I'm now able to brew some espresso drinks at home and not have to bother with Starbucks!

OK awesome, glad you posted this.

I bought this exact model a month ago but I guess I never posted.

I like the quality of what comes out. But, it feels like it's reeeeeeally small. Like, the manual recommends a 16 oz mug for a double cappuccino, but I only get like 8 oz tops.

Is that the same for you? Not sure if mine is defective or if that's normal.

Like if I want to fill a 16 oz mug, I'd have to basically make a double double cappuccino.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

I like the quality of what comes out. But, it feels like it's reeeeeeally small. Like, the manual recommends a 16 oz mug for a double cappuccino, but I only get like 8 oz tops.

Like if I want to fill a 16 oz mug, I'd have to basically make a double double cappuccino.

What? 16 oz sounds crazy. My lattes are roughly 2 fl oz of espresso (a double shot, about 32-35g by weight) and about 5-6 fl oz of milk. The milk will generally expand to about 8-10 oz of volume once the steam wand whips air into it, so we're talking 12 oz of volume max, and that's for a latte which has a higher ratio of milk. My capps are usually 3 oz of milk steamed up to 6 oz of volume (same espresso shot) and fit into a cute little 8 oz mug. 8 oz sounds right to me because that's what I'm making.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I have been making steamed milk coffee drinks, for 12 years, consider myself an enthusiast hobbyist, watch a lot of content on youtube and such. And I still don't think I have a clear differentiation between what is a latte, what is a cappuccino, and what is a flat white.

Near as I can tell 10-16 oz of steamed milk, with a tight microfoam cap, and a single/double/triple shot is a latte. A drink with a similar milk profile but less milk to coffee ratio would be a cortado, also maybe a gibraltar.

A cappuccino is more foamy than a latte.

A flat white is a drink with steamed milk but perhaps no foam cap whatsoever.

user on
  • Options
    m!ttens wrote: »

What? 16 oz sounds crazy. My lattes are roughly 2 fl oz of espresso (a double shot, about 32-35g by weight) and about 5-6 fl oz of milk. The milk will generally expand to about 8-10 oz of volume once the steam wand whips air into it, so we're talking 12 oz of volume max, and that's for a latte which has a higher ratio of milk. My capps are usually 3 oz of milk steamed up to 6 oz of volume (same espresso shot) and fit into a cute little 8 oz mug. 8 oz sounds right to me because that's what I'm making.

Thanks. The manual confused me.

• Options
    user wrote: »
    I have been making steamed milk coffee drinks, for 12 years, consider myself an enthusiast hobbyist, watch a lot of content on youtube and such. And I still don't think I have a clear differentiation between what is a latte, what is a cappuccino, and what is a flat white.

Near as I can tell 10-16 oz of steamed milk, with a tight microfoam cap, and a single/double/triple shot is a latte. A drink with a similar milk profile but less milk to coffee ratio would be a cortado, also maybe a gibraltar.

According to littlecoffeeplace.com:

https://www.littlecoffeeplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Cappuccino-vs-machiatto-vs-latte-vs-flat-white-vs-latte-machiatto-vs-mocha.png

c2l8455e3eqb.png

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

I haven't tried the double cappuccino, but the small latte fills up my largest mug (manual says 13.5oz) with some room at the top. I'm getting 16oz glasses tomorrow so should be able to tell better. The froth knob I think affects steamed milk vs froth, so if you have it set all the way to the left you'll get more steamed milk, to the right more foam. Im guessing the cappucinno and latte buttons really only differ in terms of amount of milk used, with the latte option using more.

The small cappucino should give 7.5oz and the big one 15.5oz according to the manual so not sure whats going on there, will test out tomorrow

EDIT: oh also, you can press the Froth button to add more milk in case you want to add more liquid, I've been doing that to 'top off' mugs as well, though I guess technically adding more milk makes it more of a latte

Zavian on
  • Options

I haven't tried the double cappuccino, but the small latte fills up my largest mug (manual says 13.5oz) with some room at the top. I'm getting 16oz glasses tomorrow so should be able to tell better. The froth knob I think affects steamed milk vs froth, so if you have it set all the way to the left you'll get more steamed milk, to the right more foam. Im guessing the cappucinno and latte buttons really only differ in terms of amount of milk used, with the latte option using more.

The small cappucino should give 7.5oz and the big one 15.5oz according to the manual so not sure whats going on there, will test out tomorrow

EDIT: oh also, you can press the Froth button to add more milk in case you want to add more liquid, I've been doing that to 'top off' mugs as well, though I guess technically adding more milk makes it more of a latte

Yeah this is definitely not my experience. I'm not getting anywhere near 13.5 oz with any setting, not on single nor double.

And adding that to what m!ttens said, I'm even more confused.

• Options
    edited April 2021

Yeah this is definitely not my experience. I'm not getting anywhere near 13.5 oz with any setting, not on single nor double.

I think the confusion is also because Starbucks drinks are usually way larger than 'normal' drinks, but yeah the cappcucino setting seems a bit weird or the manual is wrong

also I found this:
    By the way, technically speaking Mr. Coffee Coffee House Cappuccino Machine doesn’t make cappuccino in one touch. The programmed recipe is, in fact, a latte macchiato because it adds espresso into the hot milk foam. Classic cappuccino is made vice versa – first espresso, then milk. You can do it on this machine in two steps: first make espresso by pressing ‘Espresso’ button, afterwards – press ‘Froth’ button.

Zavian on
  • Options
    This is what I get from the preprogrammed single latte button. That’s a 16 oz glass mug, for reference:

vstt5o04b981.jpeg

• Options

I think the confusion is also because Starbucks drinks are usually way larger than 'normal' drinks, but yeah the cappcucino setting seems a bit weird or the manual is wrong

also I found this:
    By the way, technically speaking Mr. Coffee Coffee House Cappuccino Machine doesn’t make cappuccino in one touch. The programmed recipe is, in fact, a latte macchiato because it adds espresso into the hot milk foam. Classic cappuccino is made vice versa – first espresso, then milk. You can do it on this machine in two steps: first make espresso by pressing ‘Espresso’ button, afterwards – press ‘Froth’ button.

Thanks!

• Options
    I would check milk frother, maybe it needs to be cleaned? You should definitely be getting more milk than that with the single latte option. Ive read on the internet that you should also have a litter extra than needed filled in the milk reservoir (but not above MAX)

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I would check milk frother, maybe it needs to be cleaned? You should definitely be getting more milk than that with the single latte option. Ive read on the internet that you should also have a litter extra than needed filled in the milk reservoir (but not above MAX)

Hmm. That's the output I've been getting since purchase.

I've been using half and half - could that be why?

edit: Forgot to say, I actually just thoroughly cleaned it.

Drez on
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular

https://www.littlecoffeeplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Cappuccino-vs-machiatto-vs-latte-vs-flat-white-vs-latte-machiatto-vs-mocha.png

snip
    Yeah this chart is consistent with what I wrote, though I've never made what it calls a macchiato -- I guess its a short flat white, huh worth trying since flat whites are my favorite drink.

• Options

Hmm. That's the output I've been getting since purchase.

I've been using half and half - could that be why?

edit: Forgot to say, I actually just thoroughly cleaned it.

I've only been using cold whole milk (I keep the milk container in fridge between drinks), so could be the machine is only set for cold milk? Not sure how half and half froths differently or at all from cold milk

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

snip
    Yeah this chart is consistent with what I wrote, though I've never made what it calls a macchiato -- I guess its a short flat white, huh worth trying since flat whites are my favorite drink.

Macchiatos are great. Just make sure you ask for a 'cafe' or 'espresso' macchiato if ordering one.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    half and half and espresso is a cafe breve! they're extremely tasty

• Options
    I just got my new 16 oz double glass mugs! I just made a caramel latte with one using the small latte option, seems to fill up to about 13.5oz which is what the manual says, used cold whole milk
    88IahIx.jpg

• Options
    Hmm. Thanks.

Looks good btw.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I want one so bad.... dammit money why do you need to be so scarce!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    And38And38 Registered User new member
    I just got my new 16 oz double glass mugs! I just made a caramel latte with one using the small latte option, seems to fill up to about 13.5oz which is what the manual says, used cold whole milk
    88IahIx.jpg
    I think it is also very tasty