As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Smell of the [Chat]

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    The Valentine representing my particular obscure fetish
    japan wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    All of our new hire nurses are garbage and they are going to get someone killed.

Just a Tuesday.

Is there an element of the present situation meaning that anyone with adequate qualifications will get hired

Yes.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2021
    I’m halfway through the last book in jk nemisin’s earthquake trilogy. Am I supposed to... understand the magic system?

Organichu on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    "I see on your resume you list 'Naughty Nurses III, IV, and V', it's got nurse in the title, you're hired."

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Smells like...*sniff* onions!

Untitled-1.jpg?width=1440

This came up today as an example of wonderful .mil PowerPoint culture

The people who make .mil powerpoints and the people who edit the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy are basically the same person, one just makes a fuckton more money

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Was that entry at the top of the article? lol truly horrendous

It was literally the first sentence. I don't hate philosophy and I don't doubt the utility or importance of the topic in question. I was just stunned.

ah understood; I thought otherwise because of the framing discussion

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    I’m halfway through the last boom in jk nemisin’s earthquake trilogy. Am I supposed to... understand the magic system?

I believe you are not

sig.gif
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Zappa
    My beliefs in regard to moral realism is that ethics are a sort of logically deducible game theoretical solution for the behavior necessary to allow social organisms to successfully live together, and are thus capable of being conditionally true, and moral sentiment is an emotional heuristic for approximating ethical behavior, in the same way that disgust is an emotional heuristic for approximating sanitary behavior.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    The "don't be killed" is what pushes it over the line for me into "this is funny on purpose"

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    My beliefs in regard to moral realism is that ethics are a sort of logically deducible game theoretical solution for the behavior necessary to allow social organisms to successfully live together, and are thus capable of being conditionally true, and moral sentiment is an emotional heuristic for approximating ethical behavior, in the same way that disgust is an emotional heuristic for approximating sanitary behavior.

Do you think it's possible to make a true statement about ethics that would still be true if there were no minds in the universe?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Zappa
    I’m halfway through the last book in jk nemisin’s earthquake trilogy. Am I supposed to... understand the magic system?

Chu if you don't understand how to control your magic I will be forced to kill you

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

There isn't a 'system' that gets laid out in a way that could be codified to rpg rules, no.

There are two things happening:

geology magic which takes energy from the earth (thus makes it colder)
    silver magic which takes magic from idk people energy or whatever and can do more things than just geology

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Baiken
    none of my other favorites were in the poll so i am forced, against my will, to vote for the big titty samurai waifu

• Options
    Zappa

Do you think it's possible to make a true statement about ethics that would still be true if there were no minds in the universe?

In the same way I can make a true statement about mathematics that doesn't apply to our physical reality, yes.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It bothers me unnecessarily that the "don't be killed" onion's lines don't match up with the content's lines

Is there a secret military philosophy egg that lives inside the onion?

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Yoshimitsu

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Baiken
    i am not, nor have i ever been, horny

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Does a universe exist at all if there are no minds in it?I'm not sure this is the best counterfactual

• Options

In the same way I can make a true statement about mathematics that doesn't apply to our physical reality, yes.

Exactly what i was trying to ask. So then i think you are squarely a moral realist, as defined by the Stanford moral anti realism page

sig.gif
  • Options
    Zappa

Exactly what i was trying to ask. So then i think you are squarely a moral realist, as defined by the Stanford moral anti realism page

I suppose so, but I think that depends on whether you think math is real.

I would say "I think ethics is as real as math is".

• Options

Does a universe exist at all if there are no minds in it?I'm not sure this is the best counterfactual

I was just trying to phrase the third question about anti realism.

That said, if you posit a reality in which rocks move in curves but there is no life, i don't see how you could argue things don't exist there

sig.gif
  • Options
    Zappa

I mean, given that we are all the Godhead dreaming itself....

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Dizzy
    Half of all presenters don’t know jack shit what they’re talking about. I remain convinced that around 40% of having a C-level job is just having a high cringe tolerance and being able to speak in tongues while maintaining confidence.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Yoshimitsu pogo jumps on his sword and can clone himself so he is the best character.

That or King because of the Leopard mask.

• Options

I suppose so, but I think that depends on whether you think math is real.

I would say "I think ethics is as real as math is".

It's defined really explicitly in the articles, your position is one of several on the realist side

sig.gif
  • Options

After the big bang but before brains there was nothing EM has spoken

• Options
    Zappa
    JebusUD wrote: »

After the big bang but before brains there was nothing EM has spoken

Actually immediately after the big bang a Boltzmann brain formed that spanned all existing matter

Prove me wrong

• Options
    Let's be honest though, Yoshimitsu is the best because he is maybe a robot or a demon or a bug or an alien.

Maybe he is all those things at once.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Baiken

Halfway through the last book? Yeah. I'd say you should have a decent understanding of the basics. They do some twisting and turning near the end. But that's more of a narrative point than something that needs to be fully fleshed out for how folks deal with their abilities.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Ky Kiske
    Matter is innately good until you put a mind in it

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    The Valentine representing my particular obscure fetish
    Eddy wrote: »
    Smells like...*sniff* onions!

Untitled-1.jpg?width=1440

This came up today as an example of wonderful .mil PowerPoint culture

The people who make .mil powerpoints and the people who edit the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy are basically the same person, one just makes a fuckton more money

Making that Philosophy coin.

• Options
    Tumin wrote: »
    Matter is innately good until you put a mind in it

But if you don't mind it don't matter.

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    I think Chipp actually kind of sucks?

Isn't he canonically an American who says random shit in Japanese because he thinks it sounds cool?

He's an American weeaboo and also the president of an African nation that he named after himself
    So he's guilty gears cecil rhodes?

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    I am really really tired, and not getting anything done at work / answering tons of phone calls

And I'm like...just burnt out. I've been wearing the same pajamas around the house for like a week because work and then my kid comes home and that's a full time job till 8pm, and then we're too fucking fried to do anything but sit

I'm having a minor panic attack that I was going to play a game of league while my wife went to go get our daughter from daycare and I did not get up from my work desk and run over to my play desk quickly enough, and so now I do not have enough time. And I was planning on working tonight to do my actual work, because I have a project that will take two hours and I've put off (and been miserable about) for two months now.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Uhh it was pretty clear that if you reach into the earth and form a high and tight geomantic torus then you transfer that toric energy to do your work. Did this help?

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    TORUS

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Dizzy
    Ford Geomantic Torus

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    #AntFacts: Moral Ant Realism is the philosophy that the only moral agents in the universe are ants, and that all other beings are merely automatons acting without the Soul of Antness that burns bright within our formicidae friends. This moral philosophy is so trivially proven accurate that most college PHIL courses leave the disclaimer unspoken that all human philosophy is based on falsely negating the moral agency of ants.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I am really really tired, and not getting anything done at work / answering tons of phone calls

And I'm like...just burnt out. I've been wearing the same pajamas around the house for like a week because work and then my kid comes home and that's a full time job till 8pm, and then we're too fucking fried to do anything but sit

I'm having a minor panic attack that I was going to play a game of league while my wife went to go get our daughter from daycare and I did not get up from my work desk and run over to my play desk quickly enough, and so now I do not have enough time. And I was planning on working tonight to do my actual work, because I have a project that will take two hours and I've put off (and been miserable about) for two months now.

I don't play games I can't pause until kids are asleep anymore.

League took too long even before I had kids.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

I mean, not really. It isn't ever like, described in a way that isn't sort of sensory and subjective. There also don't really appear to be rules or anything, it's more vague.

I don't find that it matters though, those questions just aren't germane for the story.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    one good thing about watching soccer is if i know i need to start the potatoes in fifteen minutes and i look up and it's the 81st minute then when i look up again it's the 96th minute because i guess the ref is giving Burnley as much opportunity as they need to tie this up

well i also know it's been exactly 15 minutes and i should start the potatoes

Allegedly a voice of reason.
This discussion has been closed.