As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile] Sentinel League starts 05/13. Pokebots and uber bosses!

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Crackling Lance
    25% more damage effectiveness (90 to 115)
    Big top-end damage buff

We are in potential "Let's fucking goooooooooooooooooo" terriroty

Yeah, crack lance looks cool being moveable and having that damage boost, but DI has that ailment cheese.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I thought crackling lance was fine last league, but I dunno how it would do in a boss rush league. It felt pretty squish.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    I thought crackling lance was fine last league, but I dunno how it would do in a boss rush league. It felt pretty squish.

I mean, everything is more squish this league, so... Just kill stuff faster?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    Lightning Warp
    Now gains additional radius as the gem levels, up to +4 at gem level 20.

ITS HAPPENINGggggggggggggggg

Isn't this like the lowest damage lightning spell? I seem to recall watching a video where someone sunk 100 exalts trying to make this powerful and it was worse than like 10ex Stormcall

4tl34f.jpg

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Okay so

Do the full DI lighting conversion to chaos thing, maybe double wield singularities (all gear is tbd tbh), stack lightning damage and DOT to the ceiling, Herald of Lightning and Blasphemy with Conductivity, since that initial hit is gonna determine the ignite

Use self-cast Despair to both trigger the Divine Ire lazor beam and to get them doom stacks

• Options
    Don't forget, if you are using Stomfire you are also taking a convert lightning to fire step in there.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    so my league starter in legion was a tri elemental melee elementalist using elemental equilibrium: every skill would coc a different element (so static strike would coc flame burst etc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fZCBViLvgM

this would actually be a lot easier to do now using the new stuff...

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Brody wrote: »
    Don't forget, if you are using Stomfire you are also taking a convert lightning to fire step in there.

Does that count as a conversion, calculating ignite based on lighting hit dmg instead of fire?

(I honestly have no idea, thought that was a whole different thing)

Edit: Ahh, it converts the lightning damage to fire and then calculates ignite, so I wonder if I should use elemental weakness instead of conductivity

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    if ur elementalist all ur damage can ignite so doesnt matter

the only resistance that matters for the ailment is the damage type of the ailment so conductivity wont help (cos it calculates the burn based on the base damage of the hit purely affected by conversion steps), then applies ur full stack of damage mods / resistance effects after (this was done to stop double dippin from shreds)

but ye u want majority fire to get the 25% more damage on the elementalist ignite node if ur taking that plus a source of withered plus some kinda chaos shred

in a pinch u can get a surprisingly large amount from void gaze (its -20% chaos res in a huge fucking cone in front of u on a like 2second cooldown) plus the 8% ele as chaos will benefit u if ur multiconverting (as well as being a free increase in the size of ur chaos burns)

ojai58lix221.png

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021

the only resistance that matters for the ailment is the damage type of the ailment so conductivity wont help (cos it calculates the burn based on the base damage of the hit purely affected by conversion steps), then applies ur full stack of damage mods / resistance effects after (this was done to stop double dippin from shreds)

but ye u want majority fire to get the 25% more damage on the elementalist ignite node if ur taking that plus a source of withered plus some kinda chaos shred

in a pinch u can get a surprisingly large amount from void gaze (its -20% chaos res in a huge fucking cone in front of u on a like 2second cooldown) plus the 8% ele as chaos will benefit u if ur multiconverting (as well as being a free increase in the size of ur chaos burns)

ojai58lix221.png

Should I even bother with Shaper of Storms then, since the shock won't really do much to the base? There is some benefit it looks like but I dunno if I should go for that or for Bastion for the D.

Absolutely going wither totems and self cast Despair/Impending Doom/IAOE to trigger the Divine Ire beam

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited January 2021

]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/e0/ojai58lix221.png[/img]

Won't Conductivity increase the initial hit, making your ignite beefier? Or I guess elemental weakness?

Edit: also, how are you getting despair to trigger Divine Ire?

Brody on

• Options
    edited January 2021

ojai58lix221.png

Won't Conductivity increase the initial hit, making your ignite beefier? Or I guess elemental weakness?

the actual damage of the hit on the mob is totally irrelevant for ignite base damage, ailments are purely generated from the base damage and type of the hit

the reason this gets a bit confusing is that some operations happen to generate this "base" - notably, conversions - and conversions can include increases in the conversion steps, eg cold to fire adds extra.

however u can think of all of these things as just scaling up and generating a base damage figure. when the mob takes the damage the "hit damage" calculation is done, and if ignite is triggered the ignite damage is generated from that base damage from scratch, then applied to the monsters defenses as if it was the first time. it has to be done this way to prevent things like resistance shreds double dipping (if ur -100% fire res and the burn is calculated post-mitigation, then the burn is twice as big base and then deals fire damage that is in turn doubled again)

shaper of storms less important given that u have wither which is giving u huge "increased taken" already, which shock wont add as much to. honestly if ur going stormfire and elementalist i wouldnt bother with the chaos side of things - the new "exposure is 25% more" node works very well with burns, because its shred rather than pen, and u can just get a cluster jewel like heraldry (everybody near u is 10% exposured) for free -35% shred plus the 20% from combustion + whatever curses (ele weak and flammability)

what could be interesting would be new occultist for this build. occultist gives u -20% chaos shred from void beacon (so with 20% from void gaze ur at 40% straight shred already), 15% more chaos damage (that will scale the "chaos ignite"), and the free wither application stuff. because ur already going stormfire u dont need the ignite conflux

then u can do what u want for the other 2 points, malediction is free curse effect and a defensive layer +1 curse, profane bloom is crazy good clear, etc. u got OPTIONS

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021

ojai58lix221.png

the actual damage of the hit on the mob is totally irrelevant for ignite base damage, ailments are purely generated from the base damage and type of the hit

the reason this gets a bit confusing is that some operations happen to generate this "base" - notably, conversions - and conversions can include increases in the conversion steps, eg cold to fire adds extra.

however u can think of all of these things as just scaling up and generating a base damage figure. when the mob takes the damage the "hit damage" calculation is done, and if ignite is triggered the ignite damage is generated from that base damage from scratch, then applied to the monsters defenses as if it was the first time. it has to be done this way to prevent things like resistance shreds double dipping (if ur -100% fire res and the burn is calculated post-mitigation, then the burn is twice as big base and then deals fire damage that is in turn doubled again)

shaper of storms less important given that u have wither which is giving u huge "increased taken" already, which shock wont add as much to. honestly if ur going stormfire and elementalist i wouldnt bother with the chaos side of things - the new "exposure is 25% more" node works very well with burns, because its shred rather than pen, and u can just get a cluster jewel like heraldry (everybody near u is 10% exposured) for free -35% shred plus the 20% from combustion + whatever curses (ele weak and flammability)

what could be interesting would be new occultist for this build. occultist gives u -20% chaos shred from void beacon (so with 20% from void gaze ur at 40% straight shred already), 15% more chaos damage (that will scale the "chaos ignite"), and the free wither application stuff. because ur already going stormfire u dont need the ignite conflux

then u can do what u want for the other 2 points, malediction is free curse effect and a defensive layer +1 curse, profane bloom is crazy good clear, etc. u got OPTIONS)

Yeah, that damn base damage step always catches me.

edit: I prefer going Witch, but I was wondering if Inquisitor might not be juicy. You could grab that Fanatic node and fire lazor's super fast. But yeah, I was trying to think through occultist the other page, but then forgot about the base damage issue, so I assumed you'd want the exposure node.

Brody on

• Options
    edited January 2021

ojai58lix221.png

then u can do what u want for the other 2 points, malediction is free curse effect and a defensive layer +1 curse, profane bloom is crazy good clear, etc. u got OPTIONS

So neither lighting nor fire res are gonna mean shit, it's all chaos res shred since that's the actual damage that ends up happening.

That occultist angle where we put all of it on the chaos flame portion has got me like *scratch chin*

Cuz also this little bit of the tree

v1nx4sknqhig.png

Mad damage

Just need to work in the crit chance instead of having the conflux, but there's a ton of support for DOT from crits, because I think even Stormfire requires you to crit to proc ignite

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    yep - only the shred for the final damage type matters

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I was also thinking about skipping the Lightning->burn and going with Arma brand occultist with Blackflame. The only issue with travelling down that path is that you are sort of tying yourself to Blackflame being moderately available. Ignite conflux/pen node/aegis/shock node doesn't require you to buy/find any fancy rings.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Oh I'm going Scion Spin to Win as a starter. They brought back the leech and I'm here for it.

But I think if I can work it out, a Divine Ire Occultist is just weird enough I want it to work. I'd probably run it as a ED/Cont build until I could make the necessary switch.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    me trying to read @surrealitycheck posts

everything-that-we-know-and-love-is-reducible-to-the-56710118.png

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    But at the same time, scheck posts are part of what makes the game so magical.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    for context on the shock vs wither thing

all "increased damage taken" modifiers stack additively. if u shock a mob for 40% and wither it for 100% increased damage taken, the mob is sitting at 140% increased damage taken vs chaos. if u only have one source of inc damage taken - say, just the shock - then it is a very straightforward multiplicative modifier. but instead of being 40% more damage, if u have 100% inc from wither it is only 20% more damage (relatively) - a hit for 100 is scaled to 240 vs 200. this is nothing to sniff at but because the shock node is in effect taking the place of something that could be 30% more eg the new pendulum of destruction or 25% shred, which are (usually) bigger multipliers the opportunity cost might not be worth it

of course if u were an elementalist/scion elementalist who then decided to take voltaxic...

z3g7iui4cuev.png

or an occultist who added that to

0zzqgqo2gkga.png

u no

theres OPTIONS

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    It sort of feels like they missed the mark on making ascendancy nodes more impactful, given that's what they said they were trying to do. Like, the new inquisitor and elementalist look pretty sweet! But the ones that weren't completely overhauled, by and large, didn't really become more impactful. You can argue at least half of the "impactful" changes are just nerfs? It's kind of a strange way to set expectations on that one. Like they increased the chance to apply certain effects on some nodes (say blind for saboteurs) from 25% chance to 100% chance, and take out a pretty big chunk of the added damage....but you throw a shitton of mines with big AoE effects at once. In a practical situation, you're going to blind everything even with the lower chance, and basically everyone would take the less "impactful" damage bonus instead. Or Patient Reaper on Tricksters -- the regen I guess is the "impactful" part so it goes from 2% to 3%, but you just lose a pretty damn meaty 50% damage modifier instead....that's not something most people would willingly choose. I see what they were going for but I'm really not feeling the impact on a lot of these. I'm not saying they're completely soul crushing nerfs, it just feels weird to have nerfs sold as "impactful and interesting" in a balance manifesto.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I think removing flat damage bonuses from the ascendancies and instead focusing on how the ascendancies shift gameplay mechanics is a really good idea.

It makes the choice more impactful because you're not just gravitating towards the ones the biggest damage boost. It's why Raider wasn't shit as long as Deadeye (or even some of the Duelist ascendancies!) were around because the DPS from 3 other ascendancies was bigger for almost the same playstyle.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Ele Hit Trinity raider should be pretty easy, right? And then if I want to double down on a specific element to push stuff later I can just drop Trinity and pick up some of those unique jewels, right?

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Raider is just a crazy generalist now it's great. They also made Gladiator Block usable without shield or DW.

Absalon on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I think removing flat damage bonuses from the ascendancies and instead focusing on how the ascendancies shift gameplay mechanics is a really good idea.

It makes the choice more impactful because you're not just gravitating towards the ones the biggest damage boost. It's why Raider wasn't shit as long as Deadeye (or even some of the Duelist ascendancies!) were around because the DPS from 3 other ascendancies was bigger for almost the same playstyle.

I agree! I just think they missed the mark with most ascendencies. They generally just took out damage, without replacing it with something that feels either impactful or interesting. Taking out a 50% damage boost and turning it from a talent that regens 2% life on kill to one that regens 3% life on kill....just isn't iconic, dynamic, or interesting. It doesn't change your playstyle, and is overall a less impactful skill than it was before the change. Trickster isn't a more unique or interesting ascendancy in any way as a result of the change -- you already had the regen, you now have very slightly more with a significant chunk of damage gone.

There are ascendency nodes that I think they hit the mark on solidly -- like Escape Artist has always been, and still is an impactful unique skill. It changes the way you gear Tricksters relative to every other ascendancy in the game -- it's definitely impactful and interesting.

All of the new elementalist and inquisitor stuff? Looks really impactful and interesting! There's just a glaring difference in the changes they made -- the three that they specifically targeted actually did get impactful and interesting changes, while the remainder generally just got really barebones changes that don't feel impactful (there are some exceptions of course). I would be shocked if those don't get another pass soon.

Love the idea, questionable execution for most of the ascendencies. It's not about being sad that the damage gone, it's being sad that it wasn't replaced with anything fun or interesting in most cases. I know which ascendencies I'll be playing in the new league!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Fiatil wrote: »

I agree! I just think they missed the mark with most ascendencies. They generally just took out damage, without replacing it with something that feels either impactful or interesting. Taking out a 50% damage boost and turning it from a talent that regens 2% life on kill to one that regens 3% life on kill....just isn't iconic, dynamic, or interesting. It doesn't change your playstyle, and is overall a less impactful skill than it was before the change. Trickster isn't a more unique or interesting ascendancy in any way as a result of the change -- you already had the regen, you now have very slightly more with a significant chunk of damage gone.

There are ascendency nodes that I think they hit the mark on solidly -- like Escape Artist has always been, and still is an impactful unique skill. It changes the way you gear Tricksters relative to every other ascendancy in the game -- it's definitely impactful and interesting.

All of the new elementalist and inquisitor stuff? Looks really impactful and interesting! There's just a glaring difference in the changes they made -- the three that they specifically targeted actually did get impactful and interesting changes, while the remainder generally just got really barebones changes that don't feel impactful (there are some exceptions of course). I would be shocked if those don't get another pass soon.

Love the idea, questionable execution for most of the ascendencies. It's not about being sad that the damage gone, it's being sad that it wasn't replaced with anything fun or interesting in most cases. I know which ascendencies I'll be playing in the new league!

Honestly, none of the shadow ascendancies really need reworking. All 3 of them are quite unique and are definitely build-defining in their own right. The rangers other two ascendancies work for what they need to work for (poison and gottagofast), both the Hiero and Guardian see tons of time, and the Occultist and Summoner both are solid already.

Raider, Inquisitor, and Elementalist were just shabby versions of other, better ascendancies. More need work, I think, but these were probably the biggest standouts.

Marauder all seem to be okay, maybe some buffs.

Duelist is amazing.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »

It does sort of feel like a partial iteration. Get the thematic narrowing out the door this cycle and come back through with adjustments in three months. Maybe an outcome of their tightening development cycle? If you're trying to fit a more iterative, agile-esque development, splitting the ascendency adjustments into multiple stories that might ship in different patches isn't unreasonable.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I think I will be starting with a Purifying Flame Templar boi in the new League — it feels pretty chill at low levels on console. Also wow the console UI is fairly thoughtful!

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I hate trying to decide on a league starter. T_T

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    How expensive are the combat focus jewels, typically?

• Options
    How expensive are the combat focus jewels, typically?

not too expensive late but early in the league they tend to be quite expensive depending on element (the fire lock one tends to be cheap tho)

since they nerfed aof ele hit much less bad

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Saldonas wrote: »
    I hate trying to decide on a league starter. T_T

Spin to win bby

Or summoner

Both are fairly cheap and both wreck shit, especially now that Scion has full life leech again

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Talking with a friend, I think I may go with popcorn skeletons.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    I'm probably going to go with Esoro's Wild Strike Raider. Its something I've been wanting to try, and this Raider change makes it look so fun.

• Options
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Talking with a friend, I think I may go with popcorn skeletons.

Minion instability is fun
    I'm probably going to go with Esoro's Wild Strike Raider. Its something I've been wanting to try, and this Raider change makes it look so fun.

Wild Strike is a build I've never done, not sure why. I did Ele Hit back when it was top dog for a single league and that was basically the projectile version of it.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Pohx' Inquisitor RF/Scorching Ray for me. If the Life+ES regen doesn't work as GGG said it would I don't know what I'll play.

• Options
    im gonna do a build

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I just....need to know how much the jewel for skeleton mages is going to cost this league. I want to do it, but I'm afraid.

Hexblast looks a lot cooler though, and that was my attempted league starter last league. It's pretty hilarious how much they had to buff impending doom, but it does make me feel better about thinking it was undertuned last league:
    Impending Doom Support

Doom Blast now has an added damage effectiveness of 100% (from 50%).
    Doom Blast now deals 39 to 58 chaos damage at gem level 1 (from 25 to 37), up to 430 to 645 chaos damage at gem level 20 (from 216 to 325).
    Doom Blast now deals 60% more damage per 5 doom on hex (from 50% more).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lol dual Vulconus blackflame cyclone ftw I guess?

905rpckg1n5s.png

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Lol dual Vulconus blackflame cyclone ftw I guess?

905rpckg1n5s.png

doesn't avatar of fire screw over blackflame?

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina