As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tabletop Games are RADch

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i did some maths wrt cruising speed of a passenger jet and velocity control spells and then Morgan kindly said that we didn't need to do complicated math for this and i'll need a bit less potency than what i calculated

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Oh, I like that.

The dark air realm being a vast labyrinth home to fey-like beings of enchantment and illusion.

I also like the idea of the light air being home to coatls, wyverns, and other winged serpents - not dragons per se, but definitely beings with affinity for air. Perhaps opposed by griffins and rocs? Clouds, flight, alternating between still, gusty, and hurricane - and with beings that can control this wind to tear you in half in the pull between stillness and twister. Foes there might prize either eternal stillness or seek to sweep all structures and peoples away.

Anzekay wrote: »
    Today is the day (we find out if the SE++ australia Mage the Awakening cabal can survive having their plane sheared in half at cruising altitude)

it's gone really well so far!

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I am not surprised. Mages with 30 or so seconds to prepare for something REALLY NEED an outside-context problem to have problems.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    oh they didn't have 30 seconds to prepare

they had maybe

oh I dunno

half a second?

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Yeah but they have about thirty seconds before they hit the ground

also the enemy mage just got disappointed that the plane immediately got put back together and so he left

so that helped

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Oh, I like that.

The dark air realm being a vast labyrinth home to fey-like beings of enchantment and illusion.

I also like the idea of the light air being home to coatls, wyverns, and other winged serpents - not dragons per se, but definitely beings with affinity for air. Perhaps opposed by griffins and rocs? Clouds, flight, alternating between still, gusty, and hurricane - and with beings that can control this wind to tear you in half in the pull between stillness and twister. Foes there might prize either eternal stillness or seek to sweep all structures and peoples away.

I think my plan for the other air realm is that its continent will be like the highlands but largely inhabitable due to constant storms.

So the residents of the realm all live in balloons & zeppelins up in the clouds as to avoid the peril of the storms, traveling around nomadically and fighting off sky-pirates.

Also, naturally, the primary residents are birdfolk.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    our next mage session is gonna involve hidden atlantean temples and old churches and i'm torn on having my character aspiration for the next session be "don't commit a desecration" or "commit a desecration"

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    They didn't die! And now they're trying to find a hidden ancient magic temple that is concealed within the site of a ruined orthodox church, in the mountains of Turkey!

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    really shouldn't have ordered my age of sigmar stuff straight from gw

shipping will take forever

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Uriel wrote: »

also there's a 16% chance it gets lost in the Warp

rRwz9.gif
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

also there's a 16% chance it gets lost in the Warp

hope not!

I ordered a bunch!

They said 17 working days (I guess this is how you say business days in England?)

so end of the month or so

still no tracking number

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Semi-random D&D idea I just had: Give demons the ability to use Vicious Mockery against Clerics. If you're not particularly witty and/or have players that don't use profanity, just have them say it in Abyssal and explain that Abyssal swear words are incomprehensibly foul to the mortal mind.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Ran a one shot yesterday and just magically pulled the characters into level 2 of the Dungeon of the Mad Mage. Let em run loose, and in 5 hours they only managed to explore 1/4th, maybe 1/3rd, of that level before they ran into another portal that took em back to the surface (that portal was supposed to lead deeper into the dungeon, but only for 12th level characters, and it was time for some of the players to leave anyways so I had it take em outside instead). It was a lot of fun though! Running a module really got rid of my anxiety about prepping to run a game, so I'm highly likely to do this again in the future.

JtgVX0H.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Semi-random D&D idea I just had: Give demons the ability to use Vicious Mockery against Clerics. If you're not particularly witty and/or have players that don't use profanity, just have them say it in Abyssal and explain that Abyssal swear words are incomprehensibly foul to the mortal mind.

Oh, I'd extend this to Paladins as well.

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I had started making a plan to paint all my Dark Angels stuff to a tabletop standard and then sell it off. I was happy with that. It was going to feel good to say goodbye and get that shelf space back.

Then I picked up the Horus Heresy series again where I had left off months ago. Then I found those awesome animated shorts by that person on YouTube. Then I found out my brother is getting into 40k.

Every time I think I'm out, something happens to pull me back in.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    NPCs involved in the attempt on the party's life during the festival have had their memories modified so no one is able to give us information or assistance.

Again.

Pathfinder 2 gives absolutely zero information on how to deal with a modify memory spell, both in the rules and in the surrounding discussion. Is it an effect that can be removed via dispel magic? Is it a physical effect that can be fixed with restoration? Who can say? Not the spell description, certainly.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that sounds like when you'd expect to find a lead for how to figure out this problem, from a knowledge check or a helpful NPC pointing the party in a direction.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    NPCs involved in the attempt on the party's life during the festival have had their memories modified so no one is able to give us information or assistance.

Again.

Pathfinder 2 gives absolutely zero information on how to deal with a modify memory spell, both in the rules and in the surrounding discussion. Is it an effect that can be removed via dispel magic? Is it a physical effect that can be fixed with restoration? Who can say? Not the spell description, certainly.

Ah yes. The old "we need random encounters in this mystery adventure because it's Pathfinder but we need the random encounters to not give the PCs information that would ruin our mystery and PCs have a million ways to bypass any normal thing that would prevent or restrict the information they get.

• WhelkWhelk Registered User regular

I think my plan for the other air realm is that its continent will be like the highlands but largely inhabitable due to constant storms.

So the residents of the realm all live in balloons & zeppelins up in the clouds as to avoid the peril of the storms, traveling around nomadically and fighting off sky-pirates.

If you wanna go a little more off-beat, all the lightning could the perfect place for mad scientist vibes, whether classic necromancy or just crazy inventions. It could be a good way to distinguish between populations. They both fly using bottled lightning, but the sky pirates have unshielded engines that cause them to go a little mad, etc.

Whelk wrote: »

If you wanna go a little more off-beat, all the lightning could the perfect place for mad scientist vibes, whether classic necromancy or just crazy inventions. It could be a good way to distinguish between populations. They both fly using bottled lightning, but the sky pirates have unshielded engines that cause them to go a little mad, etc.

Clearly the birds that can't fly have had to utilize this insane technology.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    check it, kept aloft by propellers and turbines and ornithopter-wings and all, powered by electricity that they acquire by hanging lightning rods up/down into storm clouds and store in huge capacitors.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

Again.

Ah yes. The old "we need random encounters in this mystery adventure because it's Pathfinder but we need the random encounters to not give the PCs information that would ruin our mystery and PCs have a million ways to bypass any normal thing that would prevent or restrict the information they get.

We play fast and loose with the rules anyway so I'm going to be trying dispel magic and restoration next time regardless. Mind manipulation is anathema to my character and her religion so there's precedent in her magics fixing/countering these things earlier in the adventure.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have been debating about getting Tyrants of the Underdark but seeing it was sold by the manufacturer Gale force 9 and that game I was curious about the aliens dungeon game I am kind of tempted to get the Alien Queen just to paint but it's the other debate did I want to go deep knowing it might join another game because set up was it's downfall

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

In Spelljammer's Realmspace (the crystal shell containing the solar system where Toril is located), the second planet from the sun, Coliar, is a gas giant where it's almost entirely air and clouds and such, with floating islands of rock and dirt. The entire planet is populated by aarakocra, lizardfolk, and dragons. The lizardfolk mostly stick to their islands, but use spelljamming ships to travel between islands and to take their eggs to hatch close to the sun. The aarakocra and dragons fly around on their wings, and can live their entire lives in the sky (though they don't always do)

JtgVX0H.png
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    I had started making a plan to paint all my Dark Angels stuff to a tabletop standard and then sell it off. I was happy with that. It was going to feel good to say goodbye and get that shelf space back.

Then I picked up the Horus Heresy series again where I had left off months ago. Then I found those awesome animated shorts by that person on YouTube. Then I found out my brother is getting into 40k.

Go on....

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »

Go on....

https://youtu.be/2bko5GgK5v8

Probably means Astartes.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular

I'm 100% for mad scientist ostriches.

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Iblis wrote: »

Go on....

Probably means Astartes.

Yup those are the ones. I hope they're still making them.

Honestly with how popular sci-fi and fantasy are, I'm kind of surprised there isn't a gritty 40K show on some streaming service right now. There's so much lore to pull from and it's all so dumb and over-the-top, and it can spawn so many internet arguments. It feels like it was made for it imo.
    Edit: Then again, maybe a show about violent fascists on a religious crusade to destroy anyone and anything "other" wouldn't be the best thing for the world right now given you know, everything.

Denada on
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I feel like, similar to video games, the shows they'd make would not be ones that are actually interested in talking about hey space marines are fascist jack booted assholes.

Like, gimme something with the Tau, or from the POV of an Imperial guards squad stuck as 'honour guard' to some marines helping with a conflict or something.

But in reality we'd probably get space marines being cool and strong and desirable.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Just a straight up adaptation of Eisenhorn would a slam dunk and the fact no one's done it baffles me

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Just a straight up adaptation of Eisenhorn would a slam dunk and the fact no one's done it baffles me

They are though live action
    Still I have heard nothing about it since last year or whatever span of time has happened

admanb wrote: »

Again.

We play fast and loose with the rules anyway so I'm going to be trying dispel magic and restoration next time regardless. Mind manipulation is anathema to my character and her religion so there's precedent in her magics fixing/countering these things earlier in the adventure.

Modify Memory is pretty easy to nullify in 5E. Remove Curse nullifies every curse on a target, so someone could get it cast on them to cure recently-contracted lycanthropy and end up also discovering that they had previously been affected by Modify Memory.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Memory got wigwhammed? Guess you have to do the ritual that allows you to enter their mind and physically fight off the demons of forgetfulness that have the memories locked away in a vast vault.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Iblis wrote: »

Go on....

Probably means Astartes.

Oh yes. I've seen that. It was great fun.

Steelhawk on
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Kinda think my next campaign might be Deserts of Kharak x Armour-Astir Advent. So mecha fantasy anime trash.

https://youtu.be/n1yrFE9FfrA

The desert is vast, inhospitable and full of fascists that want to grow it for their capitalist ends and kill you for opposing them.

The only beacon you have is your Carrier, stolen from the enemy this roving war platform houses six hundred souls in a metal embrace you shall endeavour to not make your tomb.

In addition to the fleet of constructs around it your carrier has room to stable up to 30 more for rest and flesh crafting. Whether tall legged, lightly armed Steel Steeds or hyper energy burning Harpies you shall have the tools of war at your hand.

At the forefront of this are the Astir's, versatile and capable of facing anything except another carrier head on. These mechs lead the vanguard and ensure safe retreat for your men.

Watched over by the living and traitorous satellite Gasping Breath you shall ply the desert for your people's salvation.

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    My group last met for D&D on November 23rd. My notes from that game on next steps are six words scribbled on a map off the internet:

* Red (missing)
    * White (dragon)
    * Blue (priest)

Game starts in 39 minutes and I don't remember a damned thing. :bzz:

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    ya'll playing pokemon the D&D.

So I initially wasn't interested in the newly announced D&D book, Candlekeep Mysteries, because it's being billed as an anthology of 17 mystery-based adventures. However, I just found out that all those adventures are written by people whose work hasn't been featured in official D&D publications before.

Here's the author list:

- Graeme Barber (@POCGamer)
    - Kelly Lynne D’Angelo (@kellylynnedang)
    - Alison Huang (@Drazillion)
    - Mark Hulmes (@sherlock_hulmes)
    - Jennifer Kretchmer (@dreamwisp)
    - Daniel Kwan (@danielhkwan)
    - Adam Lee (@adamofadventure)
    - Ari Levitch (@AriLevitch)
    - Chris Lindsay (@ravens_watching)
    - Sarah Madsen (@UnfetteredMuse)
    - Michael Polkinghorn (@MiketheGoalie)
    - Taymoor Rehman (@DarkestCrows)
    - Hannah Rose (@wildrosemage)
    - Derek Ruiz (@ElvenTower)