As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Limited Edition Crud

Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
I feel like making art. I have a pretty loose definition of doing that, it’s more like... I feel like doing marks on surfaces because that’s fun, I’m not, you know, good at this.

Let’s start!

sj6mrfqnyjjm.jpeg

Portrait of a Friend

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    cws5wg1fn3tp.jpeg

Two Houses by the River

9wrcjh03qua0.jpeg

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    *sage nod* that right there's a damn fine joke

uqfucfexy0ed.jpeg

Choose your character!

You’re not the first to pick her, that’s evidently the best of the bunch!

gc8luj7m47ke.jpeg

Cooling Lava

This is really a bottom layer, but I think it’s neat.

edited December 2020
    m0hmmmq8bqli.jpeg

Cityscape

Endless_Serpents on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    This thread is great! Please keep making and posting your art!

@Sublimus Thanks champ!

ylpa9fkibs84.jpeg

Just some sketches. I’m already planning on upping them to 32 by 32 pixel with a much wider pallet. They’re for my card game.

y6qmvffsn5ig.jpeg

I just made this real quick as the cover art for a music track I made. Speaking of, here’s my latest track:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/vXsTExcvJ9qDgRHAA

Overall the pixel creatures (collectively called ranugen) aren’t in the same style, though I think I did pretty well. Some are flat portraits, while others are slightly more overhead. The flat ones show off the most of the ranugen’s body, but the overhead’s have more weight to them; I’m debating what style the re-draws will use.

I’ve got a painting on the go but I don’t want to post it yet.

Right now, for no reason, I’m going to make a sheet of characters and objects for a kung fu game that doesn’t exist.

i8p0h1hl0fd0.jpeg

I’m going to complete it this week and then make a few mock up ‘screenshots’ of the game.

This post is just for my benefit but well, it’s my thread. This is extremely on the back burner as I have other projects I want to actually complete.

Make a webcomic! Complete it in its entirety before posting it once/twice a week.

It’d be set in a Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Crumbling Grim Fantast world. But the cast is just three goofs shooting the shit, talking about their problems as they traverse the dilapidated gothic world.

Every strip, and even during a strip, the cast put on and pick up whatever is by their feet. This helps me, as while I’ll keep the same basic shapes I won’t have to stay on model. One strip a character is in a full helmet, next they’re wearing a hat with a new hairstyle.

Might call it NOLDOROM. Doesn’t mean anything, just sounds a bit Mordor, Lordran, uppity fantasy place.

mna5pl0wave6.jpeg

Cast

Tall. Hairless. Light. Woman? Prefers spears. Water-like movements, aqua/green theme.
    Giant with a big heart.
    I kinda like the shape she has going on.

Short. Hairy. Medium. Man? Prefers maces. Spring and release movements, soft pink/orange theme.
    What does this do!
    Needs to be even hairier, possibly shorter, maybe with eyes covered?

Round. Heavy. Other. Uses magic. Overly dramatic movement, possibly earthy and/or pale theme.
    Witch in a basket!
    Yoda on Luke’s back sized is ideal.

The kicker is they would be drawn in a friendly style, neutral characters would similarly be cute, but monsters and elder things are all around, looking like they’ve walked out of Berserk.

An ideal strip continuity might be like...

Panel 1:
    An rotting undead dragon sleeps on a bridge. Our ‘heroes’ are sneaking passed it on tiptoes.

Panel 2:
    Now, one of them stands on a tower along the bridge as the other climbs up a ladder. The one on the tower is clutching a rock.

Panel 3:
    “I have to.”, one says.
    The other has their hand lovingly on their shoulder, head tilted down, eyes in shadow.
    “I know.”

Panel 1:
    The heroes are running through a burning castle.
    “I just love this kind of—”

Panel 2:
    Black knights attack, the heroes defend themselves!

Panel 3:
    “I love this kind of architecture.”
    The basket witch pops out and blasts a knight’s head off as the dragon rushes by an open window.

edited January 2021
    8qewkrq3c2fe.gif

Anyway, just thought I’d abuse some filters. This isn’t really what I’d call art.

b0zrz7p71jgn.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
    edited January 2021
    56l8r709xg56.jpeg

Just a filler post, I will be making a lot more art from the weekend onwards.

I’m thinking a lot on this webcomic idea. I might have to cook up some complete design sheets for the characters, just for fun. No intention to start it for months.

Endless_Serpents on
    I guess you might call this a design process post. Seems easier tonight than making a document for it. This is gonna sound lofty for a surreal gag/random dialogue comic, sorry. A lot of what I’m about to put down will happen very smoothly in the strip without actually coming up, as the actions of the cast are secondary to the conversation.

I think consistency in a fantasy world makes the audience care about the stakes, and even in a comic designed not to have a plot or drama, giving everything a weight will keep them engaged. The characters need strengths and weaknesses, things they can and can’t do.

So let’s establish some stuff.

1. There’s always something stronger, faster, tougher and smarter than the main characters. They get by on happenstance, not even luck. Often they go from problem to problem without much care. They’re not the top of the food chain.
    2. There is physical continuity between strips even if there’s no plot. If a weapon gets shattered, they’ll have a new one next strip, giving some sense of time passing. New clothes and trinkets too for the same reason. I want to give a sense of impermanence and change.
    3. Magic! Magic takes time to fire up, besides basic blasts. Using magic summons little things, literally every time. Using magic is inherently unhelpful; cast fireball? Everything is on fire now, smoke everywhere, tiny imps running around poking folks.
    4. The world is brittle. Bridges collapse. Floors are rotten. Towers fall, bricks flying everywhere. Statues are weathered to facelessness. But nature is fine. I want to scatter pretty natural vistas throughout the strips.
    5. There will be many largely unnamed factions that attack each other on sight. Like, black knights hate everyone, fire creatures fight water ones.
    6. For unknown reasons, the characters have to keep striving forward. Getting stuck is bad. I truly don’t want there to be any real stakes, but let’s say the sun is setting and they’re chasing the sun. A metaphor for living, I guess? It’s not a deep thing.

MAIN CAST

Gretu
    A tall gal of mighty hews. She is both optimistic and calm. She’s strong, strong enough to hold back a big monster, with a lot of visible effort. Every hit is real to her though; a punch will black her eye, a sword strike will make her bleed—she’s a person. Gretu cannot aim at range for shit. I want each of them to have topics they’re pretty good at, so for Gretu that’s science and mechanics, in the broadest sense. She probably has a head for puzzles, and can fix old junk.

Mellwyn
    A stubby, hairy thing that is roughly speaking a guy. He’s manic but thoughtful, introspective even. The quickest—I’m picturing him getting on all fours when he really needs to pick up the pace. Like a dog or something, you’re not going to immediately see a bruise if he gets kicked across the room, but he’ll limp once the fight is over. Mellwyn can’t use swords. I’m thinking Mellwyn is surprisingly the best at domestic stuff; cooking, sewing, bandaging folks up, the normal stuff you never see a hero do. It occurs to me they’re the most likely to ditch their armour for new threads.

Basket Witch
    A heavy ball that menaces things, but mostly remains in the woven backpack the pair take turns carrying. Maybe a pessimist in comparison, but also the most likely to see something mundane—or gross—as beautiful. As a sort of inversion to Gretu, a tap will knock them out, but stuff like electrocution is shrugged off, or even enjoyed. Basket Witch can read a map and speaks a few languages, so I suppose they’re the cultured friend. That said... They strictly know absolutely nothing about “The LoreTM” of the land, but will make shit up constantly.

SECONDARY CAST

Orb
    Basket Witch casts spells via a focus, which is a crystal ball. I guess it’s not a character, but if it floats a bit and glows it’ll be great to gesture with.

Black Knights
    Can’t think of a situation? Just set the dialogue against black knights attacking. They’re mooks, goons, putties. They come in all sorts of shapes that don’t really make sense, lending an absurdity when you try to picture what’s under the armour.

Some Old Guy
    I’m thinking a Steve Irwin X Desert Island Survivor vibe. Never closer than 50 feet from the cast. Usually waving from another tower. You know that neighbour you nod to but never actually hang out with? That guy.

Doubt Owl
    A big creepy owl demon that says cryptic, ominous and depressing things. Fortunately these go right over the main characters heads.

Everything else is a one off for a strip or three.

• PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    4. The world is brittle. Bridges collapse. Floors are rotten. Towers fall, bricks flying everywhere. Statues are weathered to facelessness. But nature is fine.
    !!
    Basket Witch
    A heavy ball that menaces things, but mostly remains in the woven backpack the pair take turns carrying. Maybe a pessimist in comparison, but also the most likely to see something mundane—or gross—as beautiful.
    : 0 <3<3
    Doubt Owl
    A big creepy owl demon that says cryptic, ominous and depressing things. Fortunately these go right over the main characters heads.
    LOL

Thank you @PirateQueen

h25xtqfeljn3.jpeg

After a lot of iteration I like the top third of this character design.

4gpegxmlv6mn.jpeg
    rda0d91wt2nm.jpeg
    stfeurrbc87x.jpeg

Pallet pass for a tile set I’m working on.

obi3mahqaq57.jpeg

Another batch of pixel junk. This is actually for someone’s game idea, so probably won’t post about it going forward. S’neat to work on someone else’s idea for a change.

I’m still definitely not making this any time soon. The more I play with character design for NOLDOROM the more I must steer from super simple cartooning to something a bit more meaty. More Nimona than Adventure Time.

This is not final, but I’ve gone away from the Basket Witch being a generic hag to, well...

Okay, so first I was going to give her this crystal ball, right? But then I was like, what if she was a crystal ball? This doubles up on why the pair are carrying her—she’s fragile. Then I de-aged her, because why not?

Her face doesn’t move, so once I get the expression right I think it could be a fun gag. Pivotal moment? Same expression. Sad scene? Yep, same.

The cloak would be very animated, great for whooshing back when she casts a spell.

w7vpkm6nccrf.jpeg

Scratch that last post. I need this to be simple to get it done quick. I might go even more abstract with it. Bold shapes. Expect a character design dump tomorrow.

83f9bxh08dul.png

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I’ve hit a wall with my skill when it comes to consistency, but I figured I’d end my webcomic idea with some okay ass doodles.

Real happy with the witch. Now she’s a potion bottle full of magic juice. Her cloak would give her action lines, and she picks stuff up with hands she can summon. The basket top umbrella seems really good to me.

Originally Gretu was going to be a naked warrior, but I think a chest plate and armoured arms is much cooler. I feel like having a Greek style leather skirt invokes lighter fighters, giving her a slightly more unique look. Also booty shorts sometimes because heck yeah. Overall I wanted her to look like a low level RPG character wearing whatever she’s found.

Mellwyn is just a hunter from Bloodborne / background extra in Brotherhood of the Wolf. This is fine.

I didn’t put any detail into them but I kinda love the black knights. I can just so vividly picture how they act.

Peas wrote: »
    Grrr let me absorb some of your amazing creativity

Sir/ma’am/other, I am not very good at art or thinking.

Dracula seriously doesn’t know what a man is.

q4mywo1imoqi.jpeg

i5ltqb7wh2u6.png

Please under no circumstances measure the size of his ears against his other features.

az280mn4md75.jpeg

Art hack: Just make six million layers until whatever you were going for is completely lost.

• PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Is that Mellwyn being...
    manic but thoughtful, introspective even.
    ?

It's not the size of the ears, it's how you use them
    ; )

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular

q4mywo1imoqi.jpeg

I just want you to know this made me guffaw to an embarrassing degree, and demand that 2 acquaintances view it while watching them expectantly for their reaction.

You got this posted on twitter or instagram or whatever so I can re-tweet it and aggressively expect others to laugh at it?

edited January 2021
    Is that Mellwyn being...
    manic but thoughtful, introspective even.
    ?

It's not the size of the ears, it's how you use them
    ; )

Yep that doodle is their personalities distilled.
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

q4mywo1imoqi.jpeg

I just want you to know this made me guffaw to an embarrassing degree, and demand that 2 acquaintances view it while watching them expectantly for their reaction.

You got this posted on twitter or instagram or whatever so I can re-tweet it and aggressively expect others to laugh at it?

I've posted it a second ago on my new Instagram, which is Liminal_Rocket.

wir039phu7bh.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
    edited January 2021
    So far I’ve made like a zillion three panel scripts. It’s coming to me really easily. I know this isn’t art exactly, but I want to gauge the kind of humour/vibe I’m going for.

——

Background: A dungeon full of bones.

PANEL 1.

Gretu looks at a pile of bones suspiciously. Mellwyn is facing the opposite way, poking a skull.

-

PANEL 2.

A ghoul smashes up from beneath the bones. Mellwyn slides in front of Gretu protectively.

Ghoul: Reasonably priced bones!

-

PANEL 3

Gretu has a hand on her mace. Mellwyn gets out a coin pouch.

Mellwyn: Name your price. <Speech bubble gets covered towards the end of ‘price’.>
    Ghoul: Bones!

——

In the following strip Mellwyn would be carrying a load of bones.

You know, basically total idiots in a dark fantasy world.

Endless_Serpents on
    73yt0oanggno.jpeg

edited January 2021
    I’m gonna try to not to post the comic too much, but this, at the moment, is my process. I’d love to be able to pull off crisp line art. I can only seem to flop between pixelated and blurry. I’m not sure why.

9tcn0p80yqpe.jpeg

1. Doodle layer in red.
    2. New layer, establish materials/textures.
    3. New layer, draw on light sources as a reminder
    4. New layer, thick black outlines
    5. New layer, slightly thinner internal lines
    6. New layer, which gets pulled down under the line art, for colouring it in.

The black line layers may get dropped/merged if I keep one thickness.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited January 2021
    I’m thinking of channeling Gorillaz and Mike Mignola in the comic’s art. I love heavy black shadows. I’m also thinking a dash of that particular Western cartoon thing, where close ups switch style to something over detailed, or occasional realistic. Like, if Gretu is saying something important I’ll spend a couple days doing a realistic portrait of a bald woman. In general though I want to keep it simple, it’d be nice to make it one complete collection by next winter.

Endless_Serpents on