As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox] Game Pass...passes...onto the new thread.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Finished the cod Cold War campaign, probably one of my least favourite campaigns alongside black ops 3 which I didn’t like. I liked that it tried some different stuff but overall it just didn’t work. I get that they’re trying to shake the mold up but I would have preferred a more straightforward roller coaster ride. As it stood it’s kind of uneven and has lot of stops and starts

Also the ending
    I hate endings where you don’t get the bad guy, even tho it wasn’t really about the bad guy, which I respect them trying something different, it still felt more unsatisfying than it did novel.

Very pretty on my series x tho, but inconsistent visually in some areas. When it pops it pops but sometimes you still get that flat visual feeling common to cod games

Also I think I’ll have to invest in a sound bar or something my tv sound even tho it’s a new tv is getting less consistent with newer games. I’d go the headset route but I hate having stuff over my ears

Prohass on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Are you sure? The whole thing behind this set/promo is that you have to play the game on a Series X|S before May 9th in order to get it:

A belated disclaimer: everything I've said applies to the game "in general"--I didn't even know there was a Duke costume set, and just because accounts work across Xbox One and Xbox Series doesn't mean Microsoft can't tell what hardware you're playing on because, quite obviously, they can. The game has entirely separate visual settings between the four different hardware SKUs.

So, if Microsoft says, "You only get this set for playing on Xbox Series," then yes, I'm pretty sure you have to play it on the new console hardware.

Okay, so that just takes us back to the original question of whether all you have to do is start the game up while logged in and it's yours, or if there are extra steps.

Dug a little more, and I think it's added to some inventory chest of yours in the game the next time you start it up. I just don't know whether you have to have an established file, or if you can just let the title screen come up and be done with it.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Loading up the title screen generally doesn't involve server communication, so you'll probably need to actually load into the world to trigger those rewards.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Assuming I'm actually understanding how this works correctly--once the Duke cosmetic set has actually appeared in your ship customization chest, there should be nothing keeping you from using it when playing on Xbox One. So, potentially, people could obtain it just by importing their profiles onto the Xbox Series console of someone they know, even if they didn't own one themselves.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So... I accidentally hit the channel button on my remote, and my series X decides to sleep. HDMI-CEC is still disabled. It booted me out of the game I was in, but I was able to reconnect before the session timed out. However this causes the HDR to go derpy and everything gets either really dark or washed out until I restart the game (sometimes the console).

It's a regular remote. HDMI-CEC is fine for *some* devices, so it's enabled on my television but why is the Series X still accepting and doing the commands if I disabled HDMI-CEC on the console? >\

edit: ALSO why would someone want to put their console to sleep if they changed channels? that doesn't even make sense.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I very stupidly bought a 1 yr pass to regular Xbox Live Gold or whatever when I ordered my Xbox Series X. That code has been sitting there in my inbox like a forgotten cousin.

What happens if I redeem it, even though I have a monthly sub to Xbox Live Supreme Ultimate With Cheese?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited January 2021
    Drez wrote: »
    I very stupidly bought a 1 yr pass to regular Xbox Live Gold or whatever when I ordered my Xbox Series X. That code has been sitting there in my inbox like a forgotten cousin.

What happens if I redeem it, even though I have a monthly sub to Xbox Live Supreme Ultimate With Cheese?

It gets "translated" into Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Royal with Cheese, since you can only have one tier of subscription active at a time. I think. I don't know at exactly what ratio, but it's less than the full year I'm pretty sure.
    So... I accidentally hit the channel button on my remote, and my series X decides to sleep. HDMI-CEC is still disabled. It booted me out of the game I was in, but I was able to reconnect before the session timed out. However this causes the HDR to go derpy and everything gets either really dark or washed out until I restart the game (sometimes the console).

It's a regular remote. HDMI-CEC is fine for *some* devices, so it's enabled on my television but why is the Series X still accepting and doing the commands if I disabled HDMI-CEC on the console? >\

edit: ALSO why would someone want to put their console to sleep if they changed channels? that doesn't even make sense.

So, I don't know if it's what's happening to you, but a lot of remotes--for example, all of Samsung's LCD/QLED line remotes--can be programmed to broadcast Xbox One infrared signals (i.e. work as Xbox One media remotes), which isn't reliant on HDMI-CEC. Since it's using the IR receiver, the only solution...is to block the IR receiving sensor window in the console itself.

At some point, I programmed my Samsung remote to work with my Xbox One X, and it still can actually shut down my Xbox Series X if I'm not careful. The price of "total device compatibility"--there's probably some way to actually disable that functionality via a remote code though.

Synthesis on

It gets "translated" into Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Royal with Cheese, since you can only have one tier of subscription active at a time. I think. I don't know at exactly what ratio, but it's less than the full year I'm pretty sure.

Thank you!

Thank you!

If you go to enter the code, I'm pretty sure the system tells you before you actually activate it. Or you could just ask Xbox Support Chat.

edited January 2021

Thank you!

If you go to enter the code, I'm pretty sure the system tells you before you actually activate it. Or you could just ask Xbox Support Chat.

It did. All of this also reminded me that I took advantage of a Best Buy Black Friday deal for 50% off three months of XBL Supreme Ultimate With Cheese. Totally forgot about it until now, never redeemed it.

My 12 months of regular XBL code was worth 4 months of XBLSUWC, and my 3 months of XBLSUWC was worth a flat 3 months of XBLSUWC, for a grand total of whatever 4 plus 3 is.

I don't have to pay again until August.

Drez on
    edited January 2021

So, I don't know if it's what's happening to you, but a lot of remotes--for example, all of Samsung's LCD/QLED line remotes--can be programmed to broadcast Xbox One infrared signals (i.e. work as Xbox One media remotes), which isn't reliant on HDMI-CEC. Since it's using the IR receiver, the only solution...is to block the IR receiving sensor window in the console itself.

At some point, I programmed my Samsung remote to work with my Xbox One X, and it still can actually shut down my Xbox Series X if I'm not careful. The price of "total device compatibility"--there's probably some way to actually disable that functionality via a remote code though.

Hmm, it yeah, I guess could be this, I did set it for the one x... a long time ago. ugh.

tastydonuts on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It's basically worth the equivilant value in Ultimate.

Note that Gold works on a "Cheaper the more you buy" system, while Gamepass and GP Ultimate are flat rates no matter how much you buy.

So a 12 month Gold sub is worth less Ultimate than 12 1-months.

You're not losing money, but you're also not getting any sweet deals from converting cards with cheaper time/money ratios.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It's basically worth the equivilant value in Ultimate.

Note that Gold works on a "Cheaper the more you buy" system, while Gamepass and GP Ultimate are flat rates no matter how much you buy.

So a 12 month Gold sub is worth less Ultimate than 12 1-months.

You're not losing money, but you're also not getting any sweet deals from converting cards with cheaper time/money ratios.

Because of this, the new hotness is for good deals on Ultimate Game Pass cards (presuming you want to stay in Game pass which... you 100% should). Gold deals would have to be obscenely good to pay off in the current system. Like if 1 month Gold cards had a good value, that would be worth considering.

25% off 12 months if gold is still a 25% savings. You'd be getting 4 months of ultimate for the cost of 3.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular

Hmm, it yeah, I guess could be this, I did set it for the one x... a long time ago. ugh.

I know there was a way to turn off that Samsung Universal Remote feature when they first started adding it 6 years or so ago, hopefully it's still possible to turn it off on their newer TVs. I do remember some of their newer TVs having CEC on by default and requiring a sequence of key presses on your remote to shut it off instead of having a menu option to do it, so hopefully that's not the case with their "helpful" IR stuff.

Assuming I'm actually understanding how this works correctly--once the Duke cosmetic set has actually appeared in your ship customization chest, there should be nothing keeping you from using it when playing on Xbox One. So, potentially, people could obtain it just by importing their profiles onto the Xbox Series console of someone they know, even if they didn't own one themselves.

Yup, that's my Plan B -- and why I'm trying to figure out what precisely needs to be done, in case I need to talk my brother-in-law through it.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that, though.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    YOOOOOOOOOO MACHINEGAMES CAN GET IT

Who better than the best Nazi-killing storytellers this side of the biz

I'm honestly not really a fan of Indiana Jones as a franchise (I feel like practically all of Spielberg's major hits are better, and more consistently so), but it's been so long since the last Indiana Jones game from LucasArts (which...were actually pretty good given their age and the long shadow cast by the early Tomb Raider franchise), I'd absolutely buy into this rather than another chapter in the Wolfenstein Saga about how B.J. or his children or his barber or his barber's children kill a million-man Nazi mecha army but still lose the country somehow.

My only worry is distinguishing these from the good-playing-but-exceedingly-generic Uncharted franchise. Particularly those where you're basically fighting Nazis, but they're zombies or they have attack helicopters or other dumb shit.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Copypasta of my tweet chain because I'm passing out lol its late late

They even did the map arrow scrolling during Wolfenstein 2, the brand synergy is off the charts

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm honestly not really a fan of Indiana Jones as a franchise (I feel like practically all of Spielberg's major hits are better, and more consistently so), but it's been so long since the last Indiana Jones game from LucasArts (which...were actually pretty good given their age and the long shadow cast by the early Tomb Raider franchise), I'd absolutely buy into this rather than another chapter in the Wolfenstein Saga about how B.J. or his children or his barber or his barber's children kill a million-man Nazi mecha army but still lose the country somehow.

My only worry is distinguishing these from the good-playing-but-exceedingly-generic Uncharted franchise. Particularly those where you're basically fighting Nazis, but they're zombies or they have attack helicopters or other dumb shit.

There weren't zombies in Uncharted? Also, there weren't Nazis in the game either. All modern-day style baddies.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Copypasta of my tweet chain because I'm passing out lol its late late

They even did the map arrow scrolling during Wolfenstein 2, the brand synergy is off the charts

Depends entirely if we get a new order /old blood level of quality or whatever the fuck the other games were.

EspantaPajaro on
    edited January 2021
    cloudeagle wrote: »

There weren't zombies in Uncharted? Also, there weren't Nazis in the game either. All modern-day style baddies.

You fight zombie-like monsters in Uncharted 2 with period German weapons.

Don't ask me how they got to Antarctica or wherever the hell they were.

EDIT: They were in the Himalayas. That's actually dumber.

Synthesis on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    That Indiana Jones trailer means that either Wolfenstein 3 is coming sooner than I thought, or not coming for years

My money is on the former, since it means Todd is probably finishing up with Starfield

Wait, Uncharted isn't the best thing ever? o_o

also that tweet chain almost made me want to play the wolfenstein games. almost! :P

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Wait, Uncharted isn't the best thing ever? o_o

also that tweet chain almost made me want to play the wolfenstein games. almost! :P

Listen, the Wolfenstein games are wonderful. Even Youngblood.

...Max Hass.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    You should play the Wolfenstein games, they're great

I'm still FPS-fatigued though. one day.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Ah, forgot about that part. Though what's dumb about the Himalayas compared to, well, anywhere else?

Still weren't any Nazis in the series. :P

Switch: 3947-4890-9293

Not to get into a big argument, but that's an extremely weird takeaway from those games.

edited January 2021

Not to get into a big argument, but that's an extremely weird takeaway from those games.

It's the fatalist in me. Or maybe it's because I actually played the proceeding titles, and there's a fairly linear path of the plot even if they aren't in a strict continuity, but it's kind of a depressing, "You overcame impossible odds against Nazi tyranny...and the Nazi tyranny is still there."

There's also the whole "Actually, eighty to ninety percent of Germany's war casualties occurred in the war and occupation of Eurasia, on the other side of the world, which we ignore for the sake of plot," but that's an esoterically historical complaint.

I'm really not a huge fan of the franchise, but I can understand why they're popular. And The New Colossus certainly had moments.

Ah, forgot about that part. Though what's dumb about the Himalayas compared to, well, anywhere else?

And it's still dumb that a whole regiment of frozen Germans ended up there. :P

Synthesis on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

You don't fight Nazis, but the bad guys in 2 are an evil fascist army. It was clearly meant to be I-Can't-Believe-They're-Not-Nazis! brand henchmen.

You don't fight Nazis, but the bad guys in 2 are an evil fascist army. It was clearly meant to be I-Can't-Believe-They're-Not-Nazis! brand henchmen.

Nazis aren't allowed to have a Hind helicopter. That's the rules.

Solid Snake said so.

edited January 2021
    The plot of the wolfenstein games is rarely "Kill Hitler" or outright ending the Nazi threat, aside from the first one which isn't a part of the modern canon (which itself is in some dispute on whether Return and 2009 are part of the New Order canon, even though New Order uses characters from 2009)

It's basically Indiana Jones (ironically), Nazi's get ahold of some super tech or magic artifact that could turn the tide of the war, and BJ is the one man who manages to beat back the Nazi's enough to trash their new toy. (Return was resurrecting an ancient germanic (?) warlord/sorceror, 2009 was an artifact that allowed access to a alternate dimension, New Order is ancient advanced tech of collar-tugging origins)

New Order specifically is what happens when BJ fails: the Nazi's conquer the world (including Russia, as the Eurasian front went far differently) and instead of fighting a war, he's now fighting for a resistance. New Order was about taking out the chief scientist behind the technology, New Collossus was about sparking a revolution in America. Based on what happens in Youngblood, Wolf 3 is probably going to finally be about taking out Hitler once and for all after building up to in over the course of 4-6 games.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited January 2021
    So... apparently either someone is making things up, or they just have a lot of accounts*, but they said they have been able to consistently redeem microsoft reward points for gift cards in amounts well over the $500 redemption limit... and I don't get it. I haven't asked how, because it constitutes theft in my eyes and I'd be obliged to report it, but I just want to know if it's actually a thing. Guy says a lot of things.

edit: *I don't think it's multiple accounts because gift cards are direct deposit, so that shouldn't work.

tastydonuts on
    I think that's a lot easier said than done, but I'm not that much a fan of the franchise this far despite playing the hell out of RTCW.

Quite a few Xbox controllers are being discounted if anyone needs one.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    The back button on my XB1 media remote has broken just as I found out that MS has for some reason stopped making them. :( #firstworldproblems
    It's surprising as IMO it's one of the best designed accessories that MS has ever made. Having it light up in response to motion was a genius idea, I was hoping they'd produce a successor to go with the Series X/S.

I've gotten so much use out of it since 2015 that some of the symbols have started to rub off. There aren't even any new/in-box ones going around on Ebay. :(

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I think that's a lot easier said than done, but I'm not that much a fan of the franchise this far despite playing the hell out of RTCW.

Quite a few Xbox controllers are being discounted if anyone needs one.

Not gonna spend $70 on a controller right but damn, does that red Series controller look nice

Zilla360 wrote: »
    The back button on my XB1 media remote has broken just as I found out that MS has for some reason stopped making them. :( #firstworldproblems
    It's surprising as IMO it's one of the best designed accessories that MS has ever made. Having it light up in response to motion was a genius idea, I was hoping they'd produce a successor to go with the Series X/S.

I've gotten so much use out of it since 2015 that some of the symbols have started to rub off. There aren't even any new/in-box ones going around on Ebay. :(

I'm of the opinion the PDP remote made for the Xbox One is superior in almost any way, and it also illuminates when moved. But PDP is also making a version for the Xbox Series (smaller, with a lot fewer buttons, given the removal of the TV Guide functionality)--except those are sold out on Amazon.

I'd be willing to bet money that, at some point, Microsoft will manufacture a media remote specifically for the Xbox Series, but with backwards and forward compatibility of accessories (the PDP remotes also work with Series consoles), there's an excuse for them not to do so yet (that, and there's a lot of companies that make Xbox One remotes...all of which should be forward compatible).

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I for one cannot get behind these two tone controllers with white backs. It's an aesthetic choice that I think looks okay but I don't feel interested in buying. Maybe I should thank them, I usually buy all the controllers...