As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Expanse] let's just stay here for a moment

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Jasai Chase Owens is making a lot of the other actors on this show look like chumps. Kid is gonna go places if he has an agent worth a damn.

uH3IcEi.png
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Can't say he's stood out for me, though almost all the actors on this show do a bang up job.

A lot of good actors never get their big break, too.

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    I don't know if you've seen the most recent episode, but there are a couple scenes where he just absolutely knocks it out of the park.

uH3IcEi.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Bobbie's look when the thing she said was confirmed like 1 second later killed me.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Jasai Chase Owens is making a lot of the other actors on this show look like chumps. Kid is gonna go places if he has an agent worth a damn.

Really? I think he's awful. Handsome looking man, but just wide, vacant eyes when his parents are fighting over his soul. Marco and Naomi bring it and he's a prop.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Episode 7 with Book 5 spoilers
    fuck! They got me, I did not think Naomi's space walk would happen this episode.

That, along with the Rocinante vs Zmeya, really looked amazing, movie quality VFX.

Speaking of, loved the Zmeya fight - instantly unloading every torpedo they have is a very Belter move. Noticed one had a blue drive plume - they must've fired off the protomolecule sample without anyone noticing.

Oh brilliant
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »

Really? I think he's awful. Handsome looking man, but just wide, vacant eyes when his parents are fighting over his soul. Marco and Naomi bring it and he's a prop.

I would agree with this. I had to look up the name to match the face. He feels like a pouty background character with schizophrenic over and under-emoting. He reminds me of Jaden Smith. A better Jaden Smith.

Plotwise, I get annoyed at all of Naomi's poorly thought out or downright sectarian plans and actions. Particularly in S2 and S5. I'll take more Cara Gee (I was very surprised when I incidentally saw her in an interview and it took a moment to pair her back to Drummer).

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I have had a completely reasonable crush on Cara Gee since her Belter Speech in Season 3. Her whole manner of speaking, that clipped almost machine gun cadence. She is almost, like, spitting out each syllable like it's a jab.

And her smokey eye....swoooooooooon.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I have had a completely reasonable crush on Cara Gee since her Belter Speech in Season 3. Her whole manner of speaking, that clipped almost machine gun cadence. She is almost, like, spitting out each syllable like it's a jab.

And her smokey eye....swoooooooooon.

That and in contrast her personality in real life. I recently skipped through this video (careful - spoilers for Episode 6 in there):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynyCMXijTig

And she is absolutely delightful. Also, apparently she was 8 months pregnant when she filmed most of that episode.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Man. Keon Alexander has some very intense eyes. Great casting, again!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    I'm warming up to the idea of Alex being absent for the final season.
    could easily see Bull in the pilot's seat for S6, and I feel like that barrel roll maneuver was custom made to win nerds like me over, like a reassurance that yes, Bull can do some cool shit, he can be your new guy.

Now I just wonder how they could write Alex out via editing, with no reshoots necessary? Could have the Razorback destroyed with him aboard...

Oh brilliant
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The guy who plays Marco is very good at being absolutely slimy

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    nwvoi8scva4x.jpg

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

Marco is much cooler and more interesting than in the books I think.

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Show Marco is working almost too well for me because he looks, talks, and acts like a guy I used to work with. That guy was pretty chill initially but eventually turned out to be a huge piece of shit.

Every scene with him in it is very uncomfortable.

Diplominator on
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Today's episode wasn't my favorite. Next week's will probably be pretty bomb though. Naomi and her son are like the least interesting part of the story.

After today's episode though it kinda hammered home how much more interesting I find the bobby/Alex and amos stuff.

Also fuck one episode per week. Let me binge and hate myself at the end because I have to wait another year or two for more.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    nwvoi8scva4x.jpg

Perfection.

5gsowHm.png
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Today's episode wasn't my favorite. Next week's will probably be pretty bomb though. Naomi and her son are like the least interesting part of the story.

After today's episode though it kinda hammered home how much more interesting I find the bobby/Alex and amos stuff.

Also fuck one episode per week. Let me binge and hate myself at the end because I have to wait another year or two for more.

It really is hard to get behind a Filip redemption story. He's not interested in it, so why should I be interested in it?

Contrast that with Amos, a man that wants to be good, but has had his conscience surgically removed, and I'm riveted.

As for the weekly release, it's part of why the Naomi saga isn't compelling. If I was binging this, it wouldn't be such a big deal that I've completely given up on Filip. When he comes on screen weeks after I'm already done with him, it changes the flavor of the show. I think you've got to write with the format in mind.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Filip was irredeemable after the first scene of the first episode of this season.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    How in the heck does Naomi survive so long (don't you die after like six seconds?) in hard vacuum like that? That's some super magic space drugs she must have injected herself with.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    How in the heck does Naomi survive so long (don't you die after like six seconds?) in hard vacuum like that? That's some super magic space drugs she must have injected herself with.

Episode 7
    apparently it's legit! Your lungs need to be empty, or they pop (or just suffer some horrible damage) so you're relying on whatever oxygen was in your blood at the point of decompression. She was getting ready by hyperventilating beforehand, getting as much into circulation as she could (hence why she stays awake for way longer than Cyn, who had no time to prepare)

There was an IRL vacuum exposure accident in the 60's, and the astronaut remained conscious for 15 seconds, passing out as he realized he could feel the saliva on his tongue evaporating. Exposed liquids boil, causing the eye damage. D:

You don't immediately freeze in space, as there's nothing to transfer the heat to, it just sloooowly radiates away. You do, unfortunately get bombarded with a fuckload of radiation - hence Naomi's rapid sunburn. And the stored O2 expands, causing all the swelling she suffered.

The injection she gave herself was hyper oxygenated blood, the same stuff Holden gave to Monica earlier in the season - part of vacuum first aid to keep someone conscious without needing to use their lungs!

So - approx 30 seconds until she used the hypo? That was generous, but not impossible, IMO! Plus she's not gonna be doing great next episode, lots of potential internal injury, the burns and loss of vision...

Oh brilliant
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    James S.A Corey'a twitter has been full i
    of him logically defending the plausibility of that moment. Going so far at one point to compare his 20 years of research into the subject vs the other guys 20 seconds of wikipedia cut and paste. :)

He did admit to the final shot being a float and stop and cut to black rather than bouncing around due to inertia as a director decision to highlight the drama.

S2E7
    During the Roci’s spin ‘n shoot maneuver, when it shows the PDC tracking screen, there’s a label that says “Attack Profile: Death Blossom”

5gsowHm.png
    There are like...multiple expanse podcasts out there. Is one any better than another?

A mostly successful rip of the soundtrack from the final scene of Episode 7! Still some dialogue lingering, but...

https://youtu.be/7HOABUx2plI

Fuck if that ain't some of the best music Clinton Shorter has made for the show, oof.

Oh brilliant
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Seasons 3 and 4 arrived something like 2 weeks before I was expecting them so I know what I’m doing this weekend

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Just started reading book 4 since I want to start watching the show again
    Book introduces Coop, I immediately think "oh this is going to be the smug asshole antagonist who hangs around like a bad smell and doesn't get fucking shot in the face until he's annoyed me for the entire book, huh?"

A few chapters later and he gets shot in the face.

Well played.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »

It really is hard to get behind a Filip redemption story. He's not interested in it, so why should I be interested in it?

Contrast that with Amos, a man that wants to be good, but has had his conscience surgically removed, and I'm riveted.

As for the weekly release, it's part of why the Naomi saga isn't compelling. If I was binging this, it wouldn't be such a big deal that I've completely given up on Filip. When he comes on screen weeks after I'm already done with him, it changes the flavor of the show. I think you've got to write with the format in mind.

Amos never did the magnetic sociopathy thing that Cortezar went through? He just had an extremely shit childhood.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    yea amos just went extremely through the shit

Okay I'm glad other people commented on that because I've been racking my brain for days and is never had a medical reason for his behavior.

He just has been through A Lot and compartmentalized accordingly.

The closest we get is him asking if it was possible he behaves the way he does because of surgical intervention.

I took that scene to mean he wanted a reason for him to do the things he does, anything other than that's just who he is.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I just haven't loved this season. The Amos and Drummer stuff has been excellent, and I want more for Bobbie. I just really didn't like the Marcos/Naomi/Filip storyline in the books, and I like it even less on film. Something about it just didn't track for me - it feels icky.

We're not getting [redacted] in the TV version, so I'm assuming this is the crux of our remaining storylines, which just doesn't do it for me.

Still a top notch production that merits all of its accolades.

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I didn't mind Marcos/Naomi/Filip in the books but on screen it feels like it's taking up way too much time.

Sure, Marcos is a major antagonist and they want to build up his character, but I'd love more equal time between the other threads, Amos and Drummer are far more interesting to watch.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Okay I'm glad other people commented on that because I've been racking my brain for days and is never had a medical reason for his behavior.

The closest we get is him asking if it was possible he behaves the way he does because of surgical intervention.

I took that scene to mean he wanted a reason for him to do the things he does, anything other than that's just who he is.

Actually in that scene I beleived he asked 'Is it reversable?' Meaning he wanted to know if there was a way he could -not- be the way he is.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    No wonder Marco is able to rally so many belters to his cause.
    aydgviy3wlrf.jpg

I'd totally drop rocks on earth for a 2-topping and cheezy bread

5gsowHm.png
  • mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »

Actually in that scene I beleived he asked 'Is it reversable?' Meaning he wanted to know if there was a way he could -not- be the way he is.

Yes. Amos knows what he is, and why. He also knows that it's not a good thing to be like him, he just doesn't quite understand why.
    That's why he is not happy to realize he is not afraid, and therefore want to get back to his crew ASAP.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Ep 7:
    So why were the Zmeya's missiles flying backwards, anyway? Seems you'd want to burn *toward* the target for a least-time intercept course..

Except for the blue one. I think we know why that one was acting weird :P

edited January 2021

I wasn't being literal. I haven't read the books, I'm just watching the show and his upbringing seems tailor made to erase a conscience. I didn't know surgically removing inhibitions was a thing in this world. His last appearance he comments that he needs to get back to his crew after he realizes that Holden wouldn't have done what he just did. I wasn't suggesting that Amos had an actual surgery, I was only comparing 2 characters with abusive upbringings and how 1 is compelling on screen and the other isn't.

Atlas in Chains on
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Ep 7:
    So why were the Zmeya's missiles flying backwards, anyway? Seems you'd want to burn *toward* the target for a least-time intercept course..

Except for the blue one. I think we know why that one was acting weird :P

Episode 7
    they were using chemical rockets, rather than epstein drives (except for the special blue one...) so they're nowhere near as efficient as the Zmeya or the Roci. As soon as they're launched, they're falling behind, and the Roci is doing a hard intercept burn to catch the Zmeya.

Even with the Roci turning off the main drive to do a spin, it had built up way more speed than the rockets had. If they'd have cut thrust to flip and aim towards the Roci, there's a high likelihood they would have just zipped past before they finished orienting, so the best they can do is slowly falling towards their target.

Oh brilliant
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Oh I missed that. I’ll have to rewatch that scene.