As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] Cable Television for the Internet Age

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Where's my Zardoz reboot?!

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    BSG reboot shows that rebooting crappy old shows is a viable option. Take an old show with a strong concept and some decent visuals and dump every other thing and hey presto, a good show. Maybe.

Oh so we'll see a new star trek reboot?

Isn't discovery still kicking along? Or Picard?

But they aren't reboots and thus my joke. God damn it nerds.

He also said good.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    BSG reboot shows that rebooting crappy old shows is a viable option. Take an old show with a strong concept and some decent visuals and dump every other thing and hey presto, a good show. Maybe.

Oh so we'll see a new star trek reboot?

Georgio is getting a show right?

Maybe sheill just walk onto a familiar set, kick Chris Pine into an airlock and just captains the ship. Strange new worlds, indeed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    American Gods season 3 has started on Prime.

I found out by accident, as I’d seen no trailers for its return.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I was enjoying the IT Crowd until I got to season 5 tonight and there was only one final episode. Where is the rest of the show, Britain? Are you holding out on me??

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I remember the final episode being pretty good, though.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I was enjoying the IT Crowd until I got to season 5 tonight and there was only one final episode. Where is the rest of the show, Britain? Are you holding out on me??

That’s the last episode, it's 8 years old !

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I really enjoy the IT crowd, but nowadays when people bring it up I feel it's only fair to mention that the show's creator is a transphobe (he's the reason Hbomberguy did that DK64 stream), and this is very obvious in one specific episode of the show in retrospect. It's still a good show (mostly) but its something to be aware of. Unfortunately this also taints Father Ted for the same reason.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Finished the Lupin show on Netflix last night. Pretty good but the first season was only 4-5 episodes and ends on a cliffhanger. The closing title card did confirm that more was coming, so there's that.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    I really enjoy the IT crowd, but nowadays when people bring it up I feel it's only fair to mention that the show's creator is a transphobe (he's the reason Hbomberguy did that DK64 stream), and this is very obvious in one specific episode of the show in retrospect. It's still a good show (mostly) but its something to be aware of. Unfortunately this also taints Father Ted for the same reason.

Before I was aware of Linehan's TERFyness, I honestly thought that was one of more positive portrayals of trans people on comedy shows. I think the audience thought so too because there is even a small applause from them when a trans character comes out to her date and his response is "I don't care."
    Only later did it become obvious to me that the intended horrible joke was "Ha-ha, he was dating a man without knowing." :(

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

It's a British show, so count yourself lucky that everyone wasn't killed in the last episode.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Watching Cells at Work so I can watch season 2 and the spinoff Cells at Work Code Black. It's very fun so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvFI9DtWzE8

Red Blood Cell and White Blood Cell are so cute together <3

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Saved By The Bell is a sequel, not a reboot, and it specifically dwells on the aspects of the original show which are no longer acceptable in 2020

If that's not what you want to see that's fair, but that itself doesn't make the show bad

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I've been checking HBO Max religiously for the finale of His Dark Materials only to realize that this season is 7 episodes, not 8, and I've already watched the finale. What a kick in the nuts.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I had forgotten season 2 came out

That's probably not a good sign

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Saved By The Bell is a sequel, not a reboot, and it specifically dwells on the aspects of the original show which are no longer acceptable in 2020

If that's not what you want to see that's fair, but that itself doesn't make the show bad

What aspects are those?

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

Of course not

Being Saved by the Bell is what makes it bad

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    I remember the final episode being pretty good, though.

They should do a spin-off about the goth guy

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If you let your brain remember "the college years" revival, is Saved by the Bell a trilogy now?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I would say the trilogy already existed because we had The New Class. Everyone forgets it because they should since the only person to come out of the show was Sarah Lancaster.

Three's company too, four is a bore.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Finished the Lupin show on Netflix last night. Pretty good but the first season was only 4-5 episodes and ends on a cliffhanger. The closing title card did confirm that more was coming, so there's that.

Agh, I really was considering watching this, but that sooooo puts me off. It looks great, too.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I'm finally watching the queen's gambit

Thomas Brodie-Sangster looks exactly like what a Cool Guy at a Chess Tournament looks like, yes this is correct

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Three's company too

Come and knock on our door~~~

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »
    I'm finally watching the queen's gambit

Thomas Brodie-Sangster looks exactly like what a Cool Guy at a Chess Tournament looks like, yes this is correct

I've never actually been to a chess tournament but once I saw his look I cocked my head slightly to the side and decided it was legit.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    WandaVision is kind of... Disappointing. I'm not a fan of (or have any real nostalgia for) 1950's B&W sitcoms so I spent the whole of the first two episodes hoping they'd hurry up and reveal the real 'secret' behind what is happening.
    It's totally the whole 'trapped in a simulated reality - but also oh no amnesia' trope, isn't it? Including someone outside the simulation trying to contact them via the radio.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Man, Cells at Work Code Black is such a great show to watch after watching Cells at Work. The contrast between how positive and friendly everything is in Cells at Work and how completely fucked up and full of despair Code Black is is great.

Edit: Quick description of the premise, Cells at Work is about a body in generally good health experiencing stuff like heat stroke or pollen allergies or whatever. Cells at Work Code Black is about an unhealthy body where everyone's struggling just to barely keep things running. It's so great <3

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    WandaVision is kind of... Disappointing. I'm not a fan of (or have any real nostalgia for) 1950's B&W sitcoms so I spent the whole of the first two episodes hoping they'd hurry up and reveal the real 'secret' behind what is happening.
    It's totally the whole 'trapped in a simulated reality - but also oh no amnesia' trope, isn't it? Including someone outside the simulation trying to contact them via the radio.

I personally really loved it even without the nostalgia aspect. I did watch a lot of Nick at Nite as a kid so the references caught my eye in a huge way, but they were not the most interesting part. I will gather my thoughts for a longer post at some point, but the short version is that this is a show that seems to highly reward paying attention to the little shit.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I have no idea whether it'll actually pay off or not yet

But I'm extremely excited that Wandavision actually seems really committed to its bit

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I think someone mentioned this before in the SG-1 talk but I'm constantly shocked at how many major events I remembered from this show are actually s1 episodes.

We just found
    the antarctic gate.
    And I would have sworn that was several seasons deep in the plot

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I've now reached the least believable part of stargate.

That a conservative debt hawk senator would object to a $7billion secret military expense project

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Maybe it's the year of isolation talking but I found S3 of Disenchanted pretty decent. The writing seems to have improved, though it uses a couple of "character won't shut up" gags way too long.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Watching true detective season 1 and I'm not really sure I like it. It's intriguing and well shot but also frustrating in turn.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Watching true detective season 1 and I'm not really sure I like it. It's intriguing and well shot but also frustrating in turn.

That's about the whole of it. It's good and it's got style, but doesn't stand up under any kind of scrutiny.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Yeah it’s good it’s only 8 episodes. Definitely would’ve been better as a movie

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

That's about the whole of it. It's good and it's got style, but doesn't stand up under any kind of scrutiny.

Does that go for all the seasons?

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Netflix just dropped the final season of Sabrina and while I enjoyed a lot of the season, I very much felt the end was A) Really BAD, and B) almost explicitly a jab at netflix for cancelling them? Like, I just can't fundamentally see a lot of those choices being made except out of spite.

They even had a kinda cheeky episode about
    a Sabrina TV show that went on forever until it was swallowed up by an uncaring void. They even had stuffed salem with full voiceover and the TGIF Aunt actresses and it was kinda cute.

end spoiler and TW: for an implied suicide
    also maybe don't have a side character commit suicide to join your sacrificed main character in the afterlife and paint it as romantic!

I just finished watching Sabrina myself, and although I wouldn't exactly call most of the show great I was still kind of stunned at just how spectacularly shit the ending was. The abruptness of parts of it seemed very clearly to be a consequence of Netflix deciding to cancel the show.

Just an utterly baffling narrative, especially when you take the show as a whole into account.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Watched Ted Lasso on this thread's recommendation and really enjoyed it. I guess you could say the show won me over the way Ted does to everyone he meets, as I definitely thought it was pretty corny at first. I never thought of Jason Sudeikis as a great actor or comedian, always thought he was just okay on SNL, but he really sells the character and carries the show. I was impressed!

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    You should check out Colossal if you haven't seen it already.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Carpy wrote: »

Seasons 1 and 3 are good to great.

Season 2 could have been a mediocre movie but instead it's a tv season that goes on too long.

A lot of people hated season 2 with a passion but most seemed to dislike it because it was a letdown after season 1.

Personally I just found it to be pretty ok. It wasn't as interesting as season 1 by any means but I'm not mad that I watched it or anything.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

For one and three, sure. Two I thought was just a disaster from beginning to end.

I am in the business of saving lives.
This discussion has been closed.