As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tweet embeds no longer working on Chrome

CambiataCambiata Commander ShepardThe likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
This issue is only happening on my desktop Chrome, when a tweet is posted by anyone, it only appears as a link. For example:

akonzc1pgzsl.jpg

I checked it out on Firefox and it's normal there:

w1cdbxcgp2gx.jpg

Twitter embeds also work fine on my Pixel 2 phone's version of Chrome.

As an experiment I tried logging out of my account to see if it could be a forum user setting and the problem persists when not logged in. I don't have ad blocking turned on for any Penny-arcade sites.

I probably should have mentioned this bug when I first saw it but I assumed it was a temporary glitch and would come back, but now that it's been a few months I realize it probably won't come back without a bug fix.

Note that Youtube videos do not have the embed problem at all, it's only happening with tweets.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    anyone else having this issue? I can't reproduce it.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    anyone else having this issue? I can't reproduce it.

I find that it happens to me fairly often but I have no idea why. I'd say tweets show as links for me more often than they embed. I primarily use Firefox but see the issue in both that and Chrome.

I always figured it was because Twitter is stupid and most of the time I click a twitter link Twitter tells me I can't do that or see that or something and I have to refresh it 1-5 times just to get it to load. I guess that when the Twitter embeds work here I would be able to see the tweet on the first click if it were a link.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    In fact just now in Firefox there were a whole bunch of twitter links. After I clicked on them and refreshed to see them on twitter I refreshed the forums and saw them embedded.

Steam
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I haven't been getting any embedded tweets on a mobile Chrome-based browser (Samsung Internet version 13.0.2.9) since at least the beginning of December. It doesn't matter how many times I reload a thread, no weblink or embedded tweet loads. Just a lot of blank whitespace. I just checked with the desktop version of Chrome (Version 87.0.4280.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)) and all the tweets in this thread loaded immediately. I've not had any problems with the desktop version of Firefox either.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    The tweet you posted looks like this for me:

hcxqqlty0ll7.jpg

Also adding to what Caedwyr says, no amount of reloading fixes it, nor does visiting the tweet on Twitter make it load in Vanilla.

Edit: Clearing out my cache made no change. And I verified that Instagram embeds just fine.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    xxdkdyliu33d.jpg
    This is what all tweets look like on my phone.

• Options
    Click and reloading hasn't worked for me on chrome. Just Firefox.

Steam
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I'm having the same issue as Cambiata with Chromium Edge. With Firefox it doesn't even display the embedded image.

Both Firefox and cEdge are showing "not secure" on pages where folks have embedded images.
    or7icv0us2zx.png

Here's a post first from Firefox:
    3ybtr7j768ez.png

Here's one from cEdge:
    m1ttsm06tg6w.png

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Images embedded coming from the CDN seem fine. It's just Twitter I'm noticing right now.

I've tried turning off Firefox's enhanced protection on both PA and Twitter, no dice so far.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    Fixed cEdge by adding PA to tracking protection exemption:

xad2pgiu832x.png

I'll keep messing with Firefox.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    From the Dev Console.

evpsnrlifski.png

EDIT: Firefox folks are suggesting to complete uninstall, giving that a try next.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    FYI - for anyone else, reinstalling worked.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I tried uninstall and reinstall of Chrome, it didn't change anything. I also made sure that forums.penny-arcade.com is set to my online exceptions on Bitdefender, and it is now, still no change. (cdn was already set as an exception).

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Some folks online mentioned not just uninstalling but having to wipe their machine of all traces of the browser. Also do you have any Chrome extensions like Ad block?

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Some folks online mentioned not just uninstalling but having to wipe their machine of all traces of the browser. Also do you have any Chrome extensions like Ad block?

I have some extensions, yeah. Ad-block is one of my extensions but penny-arcade domains are set as exceptions already. I also have an image info app extension, Honey, a Bitdefender extension which is paused for penny-arcade domains, and an Okta browser plugin.

Edit: Fixed. It was Bitdefender. I had Bitdefender put penny-arcade as an exception in the actual program, but the tracker app on the browser didn't get that information. Once I paused it completely for Penny-arcade, the tweets came back. Thanks for the help, Trajan45!

Cambiata on