As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2021: Coup Harder

BogartBogart Streetwise HerculesRegistered User, Moderator mod
Talk about the coup and the special people that staged it here, and also the general rising tide of shit that Trump's last week (or less) in office has delivered to our shores.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I really want that "or less" to be true.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    it feels like we are perpetually 24 hrs from some new terrible revelation about last week

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    So do we know what happened with the metal detector stand-off? Or is it ongoing?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    She was allowed into the chamber. Last I saw there was no mention of whether her bag was searched before or not.

• MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Heh.

Luxembourg and Brussels took the chance to unvite Pompeo for a visit due to the Capitol storming. The trip was completely pointless anyway.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-pompeo-europe-exclusive/luxembourg-eu-snub-pompeo-in-final-europe-trip-diplomats-say-idUSKBN29H2MM

"Appalled by the violence, Luxembourg’s [minister of foreign affairs] had called Trump a “criminal” and a “political pyromaniac” on RTL Radio the next day."

Movitz on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    xposting

There's also an interactive map of the data out.

Is that okay to link?

Edit: it's not, I think.

Edit2: Tweeter are a data artist, and a rando

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Having looked at it, you can dox people incredibly easily. So probably not ok to post here.

But very useful to look at. One of the Trump flagpole guys in my neighborhood 100% shows up on there.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The text from that last tweet.
    Parler data normalized by population. Here are the top ten counties by videos per population:
    Loving, Texas
    Sully, South Dakota
    Scott, Illinois
    Camas, Idaho
    District of Columbia
    Hamilton, Texas
    Hickory, Missouri
    Clark, Idaho
    Jackson, South Dakota
    Crittenden, Arkansas

Strikes me as a list of low population areas with Washington DC on there just because that's where the chucklewits were livestreaming their crimes.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

I'm proud to say no one in my neighborhood is on that map. Of course, I also live in a city and neighborhood with a significant non-white population. In my city suburb, most of the dots are around houses with lake views, ie rich people.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wow, okay, not the best title.

Please don't do that, coup-folk.

Coup no more.

H9f4bVe.png
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Seattle area is way lower than I expected.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Seriously, though, you don't need this tool to tell you if you're neighbors are racist, that's what Nextdoor is for.

Schrodinger on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Listen. Paranoid racists live everywhere. Even in the blue areas there's uploads / support for the shit that happened.

Edit - Just not as much as the red, obviously.

Henroid on
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I can't find the source on this so take it with a grain of salt, but I hope that if there is a story about what the hell happened to Stephen Miller, one of you internet detectives can find it:

This Stephen Miller story is bonkers.
    "Amidst all of the chaos of the past week, one voice inside the White House has remained silent. Arguably the President's most loyal advisor and one of his longest-tenured employees, Stephen Miller has been in hiding since the aftermath of the January 6th siege on the Capitol. According to a Senior White House Official who wished to remain anonymous, Miller entered the private elevator inside the Presidential residence following the day's events, pressed the 'down' button remains illuminated."

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    that's a joke.

a good one though

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I can't find the source on this so take it with a grain of salt, but I hope that if there is a story about what the hell happened to Stephen Miller, one of you internet detectives can find it:

This Stephen Miller story is bonkers.
    "Amidst all of the chaos of the past week, one voice inside the White House has remained silent. Arguably the President's most loyal advisor and one of his longest-tenured employees, Stephen Miller has been in hiding since the aftermath of the January 6th siege on the Capitol. According to a Senior White House Official who wished to remain anonymous, Miller entered the private elevator inside the Presidential residence following the day's events, pressed the 'down' button remains illuminated."
    Can you stop posting these unsourceable and fake tweets? This isn't the first one. It's hard enough to keep up.

• PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    That looks like a joke about him taking an elevator to hell.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Having looked at it, you can dox people incredibly easily. So probably not ok to post here.

But very useful to look at. One of the Trump flagpole guys in my neighborhood 100% shows up on there.
    There are only 4 or 5 videos for my area which is nice. I’m halfway tempted to drive down some of these streets to see who has Trump signs. But it’s a much better idea to leave these shitheads alone. This data is definitely going to lead to some serious doxing.

"I see everything twice!"

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Nobody in my town was on Parler, but there is a guy up the road a bit who has a giant Trump flag on his driveway right on the road who was unsurprisingly on it.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Remember, this isn't a tracking of who is on Parler, but where videos were made. Probably more people than just posted videos.

One of those dots for my city indicates the video was taken on the lake, so someone who owns a boat. "Economic anxiety."

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey guys I'm going to start infracting people for not sourcing their tweets if they're presented as news or without context.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I'd expect protest and/or tech savvy folk to know enough to remove EXIF data and access through a proxy.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I'd expect protest and/or tech savvy folk to know enough to remove EXIF data and access through a proxy.

If they're smart enough to do that they're probably smart enough to not do this.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    the had a plan, and a building plan

this was a planned coup attempt

Tweeter is an Op-eds writer for @washingtonpost and @guardian

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • BandableBandable Registered User regular
    Stringer Bell wept.

Fuck

"we need to gonna coordinate together, if we're gonna take this building"

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    It still blows me away that the shirtless guy with the horned hat is getting organic food in jail. If that isn't the very definition of white privilege, I don't know what is.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    It still blows me away that the shirtless guy with the horned hat is getting organic food in jail. If that isn't the very definition of white privilege, I don't know what is.

to be fair, accommodating dietary restrictions has been around quite a while at this point

entirely arguable whether kosher, halal, or vegetarian is more valid than organic, but it's not some special accommodation they're giving him

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

to be fair, accommodating dietary restrictions has been around quite a while at this point

entirely arguable whether kosher, halal, or vegetarian is more valid than organic, but it's not some special accommodation they're giving him
    The concentration camps Mexican immigrants have been placed in would like to have a word with you. They've been given rotten food.

• HerculePyroHerculePyro Lord Mayor's CroupierRegistered User regular

Yup. I don't have an issue with people getting special dietary requirements while in jail - it does, however, stick in the craw that a white right-wing terrorist is getting that treatment, when a very large number of people who aren't white right-wing terrorists get treated absolutely despicably.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

The concentration camps Mexican immigrants have been placed in would like to have a word with you. They've been given rotten food.

i wouldn't consider these exactly the same thing

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular

Well yeah. On one hand you have an insurrectionist and on the other you have impoverished migrants who haven't been charged with a crime.

• LowHitPointsLowHitPoints Sword of the Afternoon MichiganRegistered User regular
    ABC put out a 1+ hr special on the Capitol attack available on Hulu. It covers all the talking points we already know, but does a really good job of presenting information in chronological order. Something I missed day of is that the external perimeter had already been breached before trump finished speaking.

Also, it floors me that these people believed they could descend on the Capitol, overturn the legislature and then like, go home and back to work. Like you can overthrow a government in a tight 8 hrs if you really hustle, like seeing every attraction at Disney or something.

dispatch.o wrote: »

Well yeah. On one hand you have an insurrectionist and on the other you have impoverished migrants who haven't been charged with a crime.

i am not debating that the concentration camps don't violate international law, but they are entirely unrelated to the topic of dietary accommodation in the legal prison system

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    They have always had absolutely no idea what a revolution entails. What actually fighting the US government would look like, and how long such an endeavor would take.

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    ABC put out a 1+ hr special on the Capitol attack available on Hulu. It covers all the talking points we already know, but does a really good job of presenting information in chronological order. Something I missed day of is that the external perimeter had already been breached before trump finished speaking.

Also, it floors me that these people believed they could descend on the Capitol, overturn the legislature and then like, go home and back to work. Like you can overthrow a government in a tight 8 hrs if you really hustle, like seeing every attraction at Disney or something.

Yeah that's what sticks out to me. These people had their return flights from the revolution booked for the next day. We've talked about it here but a lot of them were retired or well to do professionals and executives (the ones that weren't insane criminals). Who did they expect to stay in DC and follow through with the revolution? The guy in the buffalo headdress? The cops & military themselves?

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Yup. I don't have an issue with people getting special dietary requirements while in jail - it does, however, stick in the craw that a white right-wing terrorist is getting that treatment, when a very large number of people who aren't white right-wing terrorists get treated absolutely despicably.

There's also the likelihood that 90+% of the people involved in storming the Capitol, would be of the "Fuck em, feed em ham" when it comes to Muslim/Jewish inmates.

Bet none of them were interested in rehabilitative/anti-recidivism prison reforms until they realized there's a chance they're going in the pokey.

Now it's "I need organic food, phone calls, better conditions!". Yeah, you didn't care until it affected you personally.

I'm all for prison reform, but these fuckers deserve no special treatment that isn't also afforded to every other inmate in the correctional system regardless of socioeconomic position or skin color.

I'm expecting to be disappointed.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

It's very similar to the plot against Whitmer in Michigan. There's this innate assumption that they just need to "apply violence" to the people in charge of government and they'll just wave a wand and fix everything instantly and then you win and get to go home.

These chucklefucks getting a hold of congresspeople would have been a tragedy and a disaster but it would not have actually changed the results of th election.

shryke on
    dispatch.o wrote: »

i am not debating that the concentration camps don't violate international law, but they are entirely unrelated to the topic of dietary accommodation in the legal prison system
    It's related in that we see how much white privilege is easy to flex even when one is so obviously guilty of crimes.

White privilege got those people into the capitol to do whatever they wanted and it's coddling them in the prison system and it will likely let them off the hook relatively easy when sentencing starts happening.

This discussion has been closed.