As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2021: Coup Harder

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    It still blows me away that the shirtless guy with the horned hat is getting organic food in jail. If that isn't the very definition of white privilege, I don't know what is.

to be fair, accommodating dietary restrictions has been around quite a while at this point

entirely arguable whether kosher, halal, or vegetarian is more valid than organic, but it's not some special accommodation they're giving him

Muslim ICE Detainees Reportedly Fed Pork

While I agree that there should be dietary accommodation while incarcerated (although 'organic' is a bit much for me), this story just once again highlights the kid gloves treatment they're getting compared to anybody who isn't white

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    ABC put out a 1+ hr special on the Capitol attack available on Hulu. It covers all the talking points we already know, but does a really good job of presenting information in chronological order. Something I missed day of is that the external perimeter had already been breached before trump finished speaking.

Also, it floors me that these people believed they could descend on the Capitol, overturn the legislature and then like, go home and back to work. Like you can overthrow a government in a tight 8 hrs if you really hustle, like seeing every attraction at Disney or something.

It's very similar to the plot against Whitmer in Michigan. There's this innate assumption that they just need to "apply violence" to the people in charge of government and they'll just wave a wand and fix everything instantly and then you win and get to go home.

These chucklefucks getting a hold of congresspeople would have been a tragedy and a disaster but it would not have actually changed the results of th election.

And if they had actually managed to take hostages or harm someone, I think the followup would've been much more brutal, too

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I would imagine most of us would agree that the quality of food given at American concentration camps should be improved (or, you know, rendered moot by closing them) than suggesting his food also be rotten.

Yes, it’s unfair and bullshit and more than he deserves (imo), but for a forum that rails on the horrors of the modern prison industrial complex, it’s a bit at odds to suggest we start ignoring dietary restrictions.

Hopefully some of that horror starts getting resolved in a week. For now, I’m just glad he and some of his fellow insurrectionists are in custody, as I seem to recall some posts declaring how few of them would see any repercussions at all.

I know we don’t need to live lives perfectly free of hypocrisy, but I can already imagine the outrage that would be generated under other circumstances for such a declaration.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    ABC put out a 1+ hr special on the Capitol attack available on Hulu. It covers all the talking points we already know, but does a really good job of presenting information in chronological order. Something I missed day of is that the external perimeter had already been breached before trump finished speaking.

Also, it floors me that these people believed they could descend on the Capitol, overturn the legislature and then like, go home and back to work. Like you can overthrow a government in a tight 8 hrs if you really hustle, like seeing every attraction at Disney or something.

It's very similar to the plot against Whitmer in Michigan. There's this innate assumption that they just need to "apply violence" to the people in charge of government and they'll just wave a wand and fix everything instantly and then you win and get to go home.

These chucklefucks getting a hold of congresspeople would have been a tragedy and a disaster but it would not have actually changed the results of th election.

“We must all hang together, or hang separately just hang out and go on about our lives.”

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It still blows me away that the shirtless guy with the horned hat is getting organic food in jail. If that isn't the very definition of white privilege, I don't know what is.

to be fair, accommodating dietary restrictions has been around quite a while at this point

entirely arguable whether kosher, halal, or vegetarian is more valid than organic, but it's not some special accommodation they're giving him

Muslim ICE Detainees Reportedly Fed Pork

While I agree that there should be dietary accommodation while incarcerated (although 'organic' is a bit much for me), this story just once again highlights the kid gloves treatment they're getting compared to anybody who isn't white

I'm not sure the normal jail and/or prison system and the ICE detention system are at all connected.

ICE afaik is running it's own entirely parallel system that is somehow even worse then normal US jail/prison.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    dispatch.o wrote: »

The concentration camps Mexican immigrants have been placed in would like to have a word with you. They've been given rotten food.

i wouldn't consider these exactly the same thing

Well yeah. On one hand you have an insurrectionist and on the other you have impoverished migrants who haven't been charged with a crime.

i am not debating that the concentration camps don't violate international law, but they are entirely unrelated to the topic of dietary accommodation in the legal prison system
    It's related in that we see how much white privilege is easy to flex even when one is so obviously guilty of crimes.

White privilege got those people into the capitol to do whatever they wanted and it's coddling them in the prison system and it will likely let them off the hook relatively easy when sentencing starts happening.

it's not white privilege when it's an accommodation given to everyone who asks for it within the same system

they don't even ask you to prove you have a dietary restriction, it's commonly done because prisoners know the specialized menus have better food

there are definitely going to be actual instances of white privilege on display, like for example this guy wasn't shot, but if you cry wolf people aren't going to listen when it's true

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    It’s about the contrast and hypocrisy. Yes we’d like everyone to be treated well, but why is it only white upper middle class and above people are treated well?

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    ICE is just a fucking war crime all around

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular

It's good lawyering. Acquiescing to inane but ultimately inconsequential requests strengthens the government's position on a potential appeal. It'll be hard for Horn Nazi to argue he unfair treatment when he was provided a custom diet.

Discretionary things like that can have an outsize impact on a case, especially where the black letter law is ambiguous—which is nearly always. For example, the 1st Circuit overturned the surviving Boston Marathon bomber's death sentence largely because of how the presiding judge worded his questions and decisions.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Orca wrote: »
    It’s about the contrast and hypocrisy. Yes we’d like everyone to be treated well, but why is it only white upper middle class and above people are treated well?

Because that’s how this admin rolls, of course.

I don’t see why we’d expect that to change until the admin does.

(And no, even then I’m sure some things won’t change, or not quickly at least)

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    That there was an active plan to get in and “take the building” was pretty obvious just from various details that had come out beforehand, but it’s still pretty chilling to get confirmation in the form of video evidence.

I think before this is over we will learn that some members of Congress not only helped plan this but actively encouraged the rioters to “water the tree of liberty” with the blood of Democrats and Republicans who didn’t support overturning democracy.

I don’t think there’s much likelihood of it happening but people like Cruz and Hawley who took a shit on democracy while holding elected office should be removed and the subject of such derision that they should have to cover their faces when they go out in public.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    the had a plan, and a building plan

this was a planned coup attempt

Tweeter is an Op-eds writer for @washingtonpost and @guardian

I've made a few posts this past week espousing the idea that most of these people were undirected and didn't have a plan (and that we still needed to throw the book at them).

I just want to state that having seen this video, I retract those statements. I don't know what the mix of Actual Terrorists to Rah-Rah Dumbfucks was, and we may never know, but it seems now that it was much higher.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

“We must all hang together, or hang separately just hang out and go on about our lives.”
    I guess that whole “Where we go one, we go all” claptrap doesn’t count when the whackadoodles start going to jail.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »

Because that’s how this admin rolls, of course.

I don’t see why we’d expect that to change until the admin does.

(And no, even then I’m sure some things won’t change, or not quickly at least)

When we get to the prison system it’s not just this administration, it’s the whole damned system.

But I feel like this is getting off topic so I’m dropping it.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    That there was an active plan to get in and “take the building” was pretty obvious just from various details that had come out beforehand, but it’s still pretty chilling to get confirmation in the form of video evidence.

I think before this is over we will learn that some members of Congress not only helped plan this but actively encouraged the rioters to “water the tree of liberty” with the blood of Democrats and Republicans who didn’t support overturning democracy.

I don’t think there’s much likelihood of it happening but people like Cruz and Hawley who took a shit on democracy while holding elected office should be removed and the subject of such derision that they should have to cover their faces when they go out in public.

My feeling at the moment is there's people like Cruz and Hawley who basically egged this all on for political gain and then there's a bunch of traitors in the House who are in much deeper shit because they actively participated in planning this.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Please implicate any Republican senator for this BS.

Charge them when felony murder.

we did learn last night that a few representatives were coordinating with insurrectionists and showed them around the building in the days before

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/01/13/mikie-sherrill-reconnaissance-capitol-attack/

Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »

I guess that whole “Where we go one, we go all” claptrap doesn’t count when the whackadoodles start going to jail.

by their own axiom, if some if them go home they all have to so

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/madison/2021/01/08/madison-cawthorn-says-he-armed-during-capitol-invasion-jan-6/6594808002/
    Madison Cawthorn says he was armed in Capitol during mob's invasion
    While laws banning the general public from carrying guns on Capitol grounds — regardless of whether they are registered with D.C. authorities of if the owner holds a valid concealed-carry permit — are clear, rules for lawmakers on where guns are permitted are murky. Washington Post reporting from 2018 states that “guns remain completely banned in the legislative chambers themselves and adjacent spaces, barring exceptions for the two sergeant at arms.”

It is unclear whether Cawthorn carried a loaded gun on the House floor or in parts of the Capitol where rules for lawmakers carrying firearms are more permissible. Whether his office secured the permission necessary for the Henderson County native to have unrestricted access to guns inside the halls of Congress remains unanswered.
    I absolutely do not trust any GOP Congressperson with a gun.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    RE prison food.

"Organic food only" is not a dietary requirement for anybody. That's bullshit.

He's not saying halal, kosher, vegetarian whatever.

Bull
    Shit

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

My feeling at the moment is there's people like Cruz and Hawley who basically egged this all on for political gain and then there's a bunch of traitors in the House who are in much deeper shit because they actively participated in planning this.

And in my mind the ones who lent credence to the undermining of democracy are no better than the ones who actively planned the attack. In a world (not this one) where an election is stolen, the morality/ethics of revolution is much more of a gray area.

But Hawley and Cruz basically laid the groundwork for this coup attempt, even if (like mob bosses) they didn’t involve themselves to the degree that they were planning it or actively beating on Capitol police. Without the misinformation and flat-out lies being legitimized at the highest level of our government, in the House of Representatives, Senate and presidency, this riot would have never progressed past its infancy.

And really, social media and conservative propaganda need to be fed to the pigs too. There’s lots of blame to go around.

CAPITOL RIOTS ARREST UPDATE:
    *Sanford, Fla., firefighter Andrew James Williams arrested for his role in siege.
    *His lawyer blames Trump and the police and says "Mr. Williams took part in none of it.”
    *Pictures make it clear that he was inside the Capitol.
    I have nothing to do with it, says the guy photographed having to do with it

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    RE prison food.

Bull
    Shit

To be fair, though... they probably aren't actually feeding him organic food.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    xposting

There's also an interactive map of the data out.

Is that okay to link?

Edit: it's not, I think.

Edit2: Tweeter are a data artist, and a rando

The parler users at military vases have me concerned. I'm not surprised. We had fliers up about white nationalists joining the Army in 1998 when I was at Ft. Benning. They were mostly going into the 82nd Airborne at Ft Bragge, but we were told to be on the lookout.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular

Based on what we know, Cruz and Hawley potentially face the end of their political careers. Some members of the House may be facing serious criminal liability.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

The concentration camps Mexican immigrants have been placed in would like to have a word with you. They've been given rotten food.

Well yeah. On one hand you have an insurrectionist and on the other you have impoverished migrants who haven't been charged with a crime.

i am not debating that the concentration camps don't violate international law, but they are entirely unrelated to the topic of dietary accommodation in the legal prison system
    It's related in that we see how much white privilege is easy to flex even when one is so obviously guilty of crimes.

White privilege got those people into the capitol to do whatever they wanted and it's coddling them in the prison system and it will likely let them off the hook relatively easy when sentencing starts happening.

it's not white privilege when it's an accommodation given to everyone who asks for it within the same system

they don't even ask you to prove you have a dietary restriction, it's commonly done because prisoners know the specialized menus have better food

there are definitely going to be actual instances of white privilege on display, like for example this guy wasn't shot, but if you cry wolf people aren't going to listen when it's true

I don't know..I think it definitely is a form of white privilege. I can't help but to compare this to the treatment POC get when they end up in jail. Good luck getting special meals if you can't even afford a lawyer. Like that infamous video where the police haul a female POC into a female judge's courtroom with no pants and the judge finds out they've refused to give her pants or sanitary pads for DAYS. And when the rightly disgusted judge questions the bailiffs on this, they just sort of shrug their shoulders like meh, whatever.

Dark_Side on
    Dark_Side wrote: »

I don't know..I think it definitely is a form of white privilege. I can't help but to compare this to the treatment POC get when they end up in jail. Good luck getting special meals if you can't even afford a lawyer. Like that infamous video where the police haul a female POC into a female judge's courtroom naked from the waste down and the judge finds out they've refused to even give her pants or sanitary pads for DAYS. And when the rightly disgusted judge questions the bailiffs on this, they just sort of shrug their shoulders like meh, whatever.

nowhere have i stated that white privilege doesn't exist or doesn't occur in our prison system

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/madison/2021/01/08/madison-cawthorn-says-he-armed-during-capitol-invasion-jan-6/6594808002/
    Madison Cawthorn says he was armed in Capitol during mob's invasion
    While laws banning the general public from carrying guns on Capitol grounds — regardless of whether they are registered with D.C. authorities of if the owner holds a valid concealed-carry permit — are clear, rules for lawmakers on where guns are permitted are murky. Washington Post reporting from 2018 states that “guns remain completely banned in the legislative chambers themselves and adjacent spaces, barring exceptions for the two sergeant at arms.”

It is unclear whether Cawthorn carried a loaded gun on the House floor or in parts of the Capitol where rules for lawmakers carrying firearms are more permissible. Whether his office secured the permission necessary for the Henderson County native to have unrestricted access to guns inside the halls of Congress remains unanswered.
    I absolutely do not trust any GOP Congressperson with a gun.

My representative, everybody!!!!

It's worth nothing that Cawthorne is on record as saying that people should "lightly threaten" their representatives if the representative isn't committed to investigating voter fraud, up until the day of the insurrection had "Stop the Steal!" as his slogan (which he has now changed to "re-audit!"), spoke at the rally Trump used to incite the insurrection, and also of course voted against certifying the election results.

(this is in addition to multiple credible accounts of sexual assault, outright plagiarism that turned a letter disavowing him into a letter of support, and him tweeting "cry more, libs" as his first tweet as an elected official)

Arch on
    edited January 2021
    Daily Beast reporter:
    Retired Navy SEAL boasts of 'breaching the Capitol'
    These people really love to just confess to crimes

Couscous on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Turns out, the non-revolution will be televised

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Having looked at it, you can dox people incredibly easily. So probably not ok to post here.

But very useful to look at. One of the Trump flagpole guys in my neighborhood 100% shows up on there.

It's kind of hard not to dox these fools when they take selfies while storming the capitol, and essentially post them to a public forum with the caption "Doin' a Coup!"

VuIBhrs.png
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Having looked at it, you can dox people incredibly easily. So probably not ok to post here.

But very useful to look at. One of the Trump flagpole guys in my neighborhood 100% shows up on there.
    There are only 4 or 5 videos for my area which is nice. I’m halfway tempted to drive down some of these streets to see who has Trump signs. But it’s a much better idea to leave these shitheads alone. This data is definitely going to lead to some serious doxing.

The local potential meth lab house still has their Trump 2020 sign up. I don't need Parler.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg

It's kind of hard not to dox these fools when they take selfies while storming the capitol, and essentially post them to a public forum with the caption "Doin' a Coup!"

i'm not sure it's even doxxing when it's willingly offered

i do think the Parler breach would not count as a willing offering of personal info though

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

Yeah, but its still not ok to dox on the forums.

i do think the Parler breach would not count as a willing offering of personal info though

I mean, it wasn't a breach, per se.. It was a scrape of all "publicly" available data.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg

Maybe it is because they are legitimately afraid of Boebart, who they absolutely don't trust with a gun

As for the many reasons they might not trust her with a gun, from 2020:
    https://www.denverpost.com/2020/08/27/lauren-boebert-arrests-colorado-3rd-mitsch-bush/
    Boebert’s first run-in with police was in the fall of 2010, after a neighbor, Michele Soet, alleged that Boebert, then 23, was harassing Soet and Soet’s husband. The alleged harassment occurred in the days after Soet called police because Boebert’s pit bulls were loose and threatening the life of her dogs.

Boebert was issued a ticket for dog code violations and a short time later texted Soet, “You have taken food out of my children’s mouths,” according to Soet. Boebert also “displayed her middle finger” to Soet’s husband as he drove through Rifle, according to a Garfield County sheriff’s deputy’s report.
    Boebert was arrested twice in Mesa County in 2015. As first reported by Colorado Newsline, Boebert was detained on June 20, 2015, after a verbal altercation with police at Country Jam, a music festival near Grand Junction. Boebert, then 28 years old, allegedly shouted at people detained on suspicion of underage drinking, urging them to flee from police, which caused the young drinkers to become unruly.

While she was being handcuffed for disorderly conduct, Boebert tried to twist away from police, according to deputies’ reports. She allegedly shouted that her arrest was unconstitutional, that “she had friends at Fox News and that the arrest would be national news.” It did not become national news.

Boebert was released from custody and told to appear in court that August but missed her court date because, as she told a judge, she forgot what day of the week it was. “I am now aware today is Friday,” she wrote on Aug. 28, 2015, hours after she was supposed to be in court.

The judge, Craig Henderson, rescheduled for later that year. But Boebert again was a no-show at a Nov. 20 hearing. In a handwritten note to the judge, she did not include a reason for her absence.

“I apologize for irresponsibly wasting the courts time with this matter. I want nothing more than to be finished with this case, as it is not something I keep on the forefront of my thinking,” she wrote.

The court was less accommodating that time, records indicate. On Dec. 1, 2015, Boebert was arrested by sheriff’s deputies for failure to appear, according to Colorado Bureau of Investigation arrest records. The next month, the disorderly conduct charge was dismissed because there was “no reasonable likelihood of conviction should (the) case go to trial,” a prosecutor wrote at the time.
    White people privilege.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    RE prison food.

Bull
    Shit

To be fair, though... they probably aren't actually feeding him organic food.

I’m sure it’s carbon based, so it would be “organic” from a chemistry standpoint.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

I don't know..I think it definitely is a form of white privilege. I can't help but to compare this to the treatment POC get when they end up in jail. Good luck getting special meals if you can't even afford a lawyer. Like that infamous video where the police haul a female POC into a female judge's courtroom naked from the waste down and the judge finds out they've refused to even give her pants or sanitary pads for DAYS. And when the rightly disgusted judge questions the bailiffs on this, they just sort of shrug their shoulders like meh, whatever.

nowhere have i stated that white privilege doesn't exist or doesn't occur in our prison system

No I get that. I honestly have no idea how special food works in prisons. But it strikes me as one of those deals where in theory it's available to everyone, but in practice is subject to the caprice of the local jail boss.

I mean, it wasn't a breach, per se.. It was a scrape of all "publicly" available data.

that is essentially what doxxing is

edited January 2021

No I get that. I honestly have no idea how special food works in prisons. But it strikes me as one of those deals where in theory it's available to everyone, but in practice is subject to the caprice of the local jail boss.

it was made into a civil rights issue (for valid reasons) and so at this point it's not even questioned because who wants a lawsuit on their hands over it? they have plenty of other ways to be shitty

Chanus on
This discussion has been closed.