As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Find a [job] thread you enjoy, and you will never have to post a day in your life

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    The classic "I'm so smart I don't need to be careful" blunder. I feel like everyone needs a note sometime in high school, "yes you are probably smarter than some people think you are, but you still have to prove it to some degree, after all think about how dumb you think everyone around you is."

I may wish a younger me had gotten the memo that being quietly smart in your own head wasn't worth much. (And that's being real loose with "smart")

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Brainleech, why don't you try calling corporate or some kind of compliance line? Didn't you have some traction once with a regional manager?

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Yesterday I emailed my team leader because I needed her to give me access to a database that’s required to do my job and to transfer files to my inventory so that I can work on them. No response. Today I emailed to ask again, no response yet. This happens with this team leader a lot. I ask for something and then a day or two later when I ask a second or third time she’s like “Sorry, I saw your message but forgot”. I know she’s probably busy but I wish she’d come up with a system where you can’t just forget to do something, or email me back to say that she saw my message and she’ll get to it soon.

In the meantime I’m sitting around and playing my iPad because I can’t do my job without access and I did my part by asking twice, so I guess I’ll just do nothing.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Hey counselor. Maybe don't tell the family of a new student that they can come up to school to get their ipad when I haven't been informed to make one for them yet, then get all huffy when I can't make it because their info is too new to be in system and the only person who can fix that is our Tech person who left for the day.

It's like looking into a mirror.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I mean, even if you like it, you have to know that a lot of people don't, so you at least warn them.

Yeah black licorice is probably one of the most notoriously divisive flavors. You have to know going in that some people are really really gonna hate it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The department meeting is starting off with people saying what they're looking forward to in 2021. A few people are talking about new babies, most are all "travel, seeing people in person, bars, physical contact, etc" and then I come along with "I'm not looking forward to anything until 2-3 weeks after I receive a second dose of the vaccine that came 21-28 days after the first dose."

Steam
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    All managers (including me) in my division are doing that Myers–Briggs personality test.

I'm a ISTJ-T which upon some quick research means:
    • I'm quiet
    • I like structure
    • I get pissed off when someone fucks up my plans.

I can't argue with any of that but I'm not gonna lie, kinda feel attacked.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Excellent. Now you can begin your journey to true self-discovery.

9ieewdi33epw.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I would probably make some attempt to refuse any sort of personality test if I asked to do one at work

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I did the test in college (almost 20 years ago. wow, I'm old) and got INTP. I refuse to retest, since it's basically nonsense, but I do enjoy seeing how INTP is classified. I really like "No one wants this"

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I had to take psyc test 4 times in the Corps
    I was told straight up that I have REDACTED but since it was not detrimental they let it slide
    But when the revised book came out about 10 years ago it all came together since they clarified what my brain spider was that why the councilor in high school was very interested in talking to me and why after certain deployments they wanted to talk to me
    Ia mf un ct io na la nd in vi si bl e

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Brainleech, why don't you try calling corporate or some kind of compliance line? Didn't you have some traction once with a regional manager?

Because it's been threats so all I can do is talk to his manager about it

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    BlazeFire wrote: »

Because it's been threats so all I can do is talk to his manager about it

Screw that. Threats, especially well documented ones, are easily worth going up the chain of command. Again: What is the worst they could do to you?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    In the corporate world, documentation is everything. Every time you have an interaction with this supervisor where you ask to not do the freezer job (or anything else for health reasons), document it. Write it down in your phone with the date and time, and the contents of the conversation, and the threats. Document when you noticed your injuries appearing, what you've done to treat them, and how you've been denied protective gear. When you have several of these, you can then provide that to the next level up, or the next three or four levels up. It establishes a trend of behavior, both on your part and your supervisor's part.

This documentation is also useful from a legal perspective.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    i love self important people

this IT director for what could be a key account continually fails to put out their main circuit for bid
    but they still email the heads of the division when they have trouble with their home account
    1)fuck you pay me
    2)my job description ain't tech support so good luck having me read your email in a timely manner
    3)congratulations i've read it and now forwarded it so it goes into the correct person's queue
    4)i constantly remind the team that unless i specifically say "fast track this" any customer requests i forward should be treated with low to normal priority

instead of getting your issue resolved on first contact it's now half a day later, congratulations on feeling you're so important you can circumvent the rules

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Okay, if nobody else will say it, I will.

Kids need to read better. If eight-year-olds had an attention span for more than twenty pages of dinosaurs, maybe we'd have books with spines wide enough that the Dewey cutters wouldn't end up being an endless wasteland of J56...

I'll check back in like five years and I expect to see some real improvement.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I am super happy we didn't have to spend a lot of effort getting mydaughter (who is in highschool, what the shit?) to love reading. I think for a while my rule was there needs to be one nonfiction book in the stack of 10 books were getting from the library.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Sundance, in conjunction with my tribe's film commission, is having a pre-recorded, digital-and-distanced panel with indigenous filmmakers about indigenous representation in TV/film. I was asked to moderate it, which was equal parts flattering and nervewracking. I'm pretty sure I didn't entirely fuck it up, which was nice.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Welp. My school district decided we are going back to 100% 5 days a week school. No word on if we are ever getting the vaccine.

Rip.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Welp. My school district decided we are going back to 100% 5 days a week school. No word on if we are ever getting the vaccine.

Rip.

:bro:

We really are the same. I've never seen you at the same time as me and everything.

Steam
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Okay, if nobody else will say it, I will.

Kids need to read better. If eight-year-olds had an attention span for more than twenty pages of dinosaurs, maybe we'd have books with spines wide enough that the Dewey cutters wouldn't end up being an endless wasteland of J56...

I'll check back in like five years and I expect to see some real improvement.

Maybe if books had more dinosaurs kids would read more.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    In the corporate world, documentation is everything. Every time you have an interaction with this supervisor where you ask to not do the freezer job (or anything else for health reasons), document it. Write it down in your phone with the date and time, and the contents of the conversation, and the threats. Document when you noticed your injuries appearing, what you've done to treat them, and how you've been denied protective gear. When you have several of these, you can then provide that to the next level up, or the next three or four levels up. It establishes a trend of behavior, both on your part and your supervisor's part.

Document the past, and then every day, make some notes about the day.

The contemporaneous (at the same time) note taking carry more integrity. You don't need to like, email notes to yourself or anything like that. Specific notes every day, a day to a page, and with a date listed is sufficient.

Cite: I do this shit for a living

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    the only personality profile worth a damn is DiSC, and that is only because it helps you understand what sort of things typically motivate people, and what form of communicating best suits, different people.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    the story of the development of myers-briggs should make people leery of it at a corporate level even if it is just used as HR astrology nowadays

... that said I'm an ENTP and would struggle to disagree with my bread assignment.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular

Rip.

Welcome to the 5-days-of-school-a-week-who-knows-when-we'll-get-vaccines-💁 club. It's...fine...in here.

fine. totally fine. best club

best

club

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    While interning, I had a boss that had me take some kind of psychic assessment. The person was able to read colors on my chakra or whatever. I got a huge PDF read out of it that I think I lost that supposedly explained it and everything. It was weird. But it made him happy, and I didn't have to pay for it, so sure, I'll be a red fire with green earth minor or whatever.

• Options
    I got asked if I wanted to come into work for some OT
    I was tempted but I have nothing clean and knowing them I would be stuck in frozen nor did I want to be by Sat/Sun just livid at the the sheer fumbling idiocy of the managers
    So I just sit in my cold house playing WoW to forget about it

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021

Also wrt to documentation, it's important to document as much and as often as possible. Being able to show numerous incidents, by date and even a vague idea of what happened, can work well in your favor.

Not sure how far back your memory can recall? Good news! There might be somewhere online where you happen to have literally typed out rough descriptions of numerous occurrences, all of which will have dates attached to them!

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I got a management style test once

It basically asked us what we were like, ascribed colours to those traits, and then told us we were those colours

Which seems uh

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Sounds useful

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I had one of those as well.

I got a dove.

Which honestly made sense at the time.

I think I'm more pigeon these days. Or whatever the least effort bird would be.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

It basically asked us what we were like, ascribed colours to those traits, and then told us we were those colours

Which seems uh

So like "what color lightsaber are u?"

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I had one of those as well.

I got a dove.

Which honestly made sense at the time.

I think I'm more pigeon these days. Or whatever the least effort bird would be.

...so...the same?

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Collaborators, I understand you are in India and we are in new england. But have you tried not being in India? Or taking us to not new england? It's cold and dark here for one. Our meetings are at 8am for us and 630pm for you. I dont at all know Indian work culture but don't y'all wanna go? Cause we don't wanna be up.

I've also been rapidly thrust into, "here are all the ways our contractors are fucking up, review their protocols and see what you can do." So all my intros have been, "this is Turk our new scientist....hello, nice to meet you, here is an itemized list of things we want you to do from the new guy you just met that all imply we don't trust you very much (we don't)" I feel like some sort of villian...or consultant.....but I repeat myself.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

Which seems uh

Let me guess. Mainly green with some orange. They're always the ones who are most skeptical about the color system.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Rip.

"Dead teachers can't complain, don't need paying and the old ones especially will remove a huge liability from the pension fund. Why didn't we think of this sooner!"

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Collaborators, I understand you are in India and we are in new england. But have you tried not being in India? Or taking us to not new england? It's cold and dark here for one. Our meetings are at 8am for us and 630pm for you. I dont at all know Indian work culture but don't y'all wanna go? Cause we don't wanna be up.

I've also been rapidly thrust into, "here are all the ways our contractors are fucking up, review their protocols and see what you can do." So all my intros have been, "this is Turk our new scientist....hello, nice to meet you, here is an itemized list of things we want you to do from the new guy you just met that all imply we don't trust you very much (we don't)" I feel like some sort of villian...or consultant.....but I repeat myself.

Oh Indian offices tend to start relatively late and regular work days are 9 hours (more at sweat shops, abusive call centers etcetc). Add to that a warm meal and a bunch of tea breaks and a 630 meeting isn't that wild.

If you ever get the chance to visit them then definitely do, just experiencing their business practices first hand is amazing. I have done an internship with a NGO and I can still barely understand how my Indian co-workers (1) got anything done, (2) put so much effort in their work and studies.

Aldo on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I want to preface this by saying that you should absolutely take security seriously.

Today our security office and identity management teams are starting the process of making sure all our service account passwords rotate on a yearly basis. Which is fine and good! We need to get that standardized to be in compliance.

The rub is that the process is starting this week.

The first week of Spring semester.
    The second week back from the new year.

In other words, one of the WORST times to make changes that could knock our major systems offline. Especially our databases.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    First week at my new job is all training, which I absolutely appreciate since most jobs just throw you in the deep end and ask you to learn that way. I still will forever hate the HR portion of training. So boring, I'm trying not to fall asleep.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

I'm in the UK and regularly work with Californians. It seems everybody there starts work at some point between 6 and 7am. Which would suck, but is very convenient for us.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
This discussion has been closed.