As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I don't even know how you would recover an Aerospace Fighter when destroyed

what are you going to do, pick up motherboard fragment from the RADAR controller?

And that’s just the ones destroyed planetside, I’d have to imagine that ones destroyed in orbit probably burn up on re-entry or drift into the void.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    A big factor between Mechs and Aerospace fighters is training time.

In general,

It takes years of training to be a Mechwarrior. Most start when they are teenagers. By they time they are young adults they have spent quite a few years in training and are now finally able to actually start learning how to be a Mechwarrior.

Aersospace pilots take about a year. Give or take. Some academies it is up to three years. Either way it is significantly less time consuming.

However Mechs are the weapon of choice for the Nobility (or Honorable Clan Warrior). Therefore they are clearly the best weapon.

Bu-

Nope, doesn't matter. Mechs are piloted by people with pedigree and not by common rabble like tanks or aerospace fighters.

Tha-

Nope! We build Mechs! Could you imagine the indignity of someone of fine heritage being forced to operate something other than a Mech? Monocles would pop, I daresay! Pop!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    On the one hand, the Clans do eugenics shit and determine their mech pilots that way and ew.

On the other hand, the Inner Sphere is somehow like "yeah monarchy is where it's at" and determines its mech pilots that way and what?

As for mercenaries, they're just trying to be big and intimidating. It's a status thing, but only because I guess the galaxy forces them into it. It's like when people go mini-golfing instead of PGA tour golfing. Except the driver is a giant canon mounted on a walking tank's shoulder and you better hope they don't nail a hole in one.

Edit - Also there's pancakes sometimes I guess.

Henroid on
  • RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    God I love the corsair so much. Also hibernal rift.
    69n05xraxm9u.jpg
    o1t6xt691u8x.jpg

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Jesus what's your weapon loadout?

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    A big factor between Mechs and Aerospace fighters is training time.

In general,

It takes years of training to be a Mechwarrior. Most start when they are teenagers. By they time they are young adults they have spent quite a few years in training and are now finally able to actually start learning how to be a Mechwarrior.

Aersospace pilots take about a year. Give or take. Some academies it is up to three years. Either way it is significantly less time consuming.

However Mechs are the weapon of choice for the Nobility (or Honorable Clan Warrior). Therefore they are clearly the best weapon.

Bu-

Nope, doesn't matter. Mechs are piloted by people with pedigree and not by common rabble like tanks or aerospace fighters.

Tha-

Nope! We build Mechs! Could you imagine the indignity of someone of fine heritage being forced to operate something other than a Mech? Monocles would pop, I daresay! Pop!

It’s the other way around?

Mechs are considerably easier to pilot and operate in lore than other vehicles. (And they would be, too). The “long training time” is because, mechs, being effective and safe, garnered prestige for their pilots and the nobility wanted to corner the market on that prestige. Kind of how the fighter jet core dominates the air force upper echelon. Flying a fighter jet isn’t harder than flying a helicopter.

Where do you think merc pilots come from? They’re all former military with mech training? Please. They’re outcasts who luck their way into military equipment that is easy to use. They’re techs who scavenged a war machine. Mech pilots aren’t a commodity.

Mercs use mechs because pilot exposure is significantly lower in a mech. If a mech explodes the pilot has a high likelihood of survival and if they die it’s only one. Tanks? Nah everyone in the tank dies and there are three to five of them. A tank column has over five times the manpower requirements and manpower risk

Mercs use mechs because they’re far easier to operate and train for than tanks. So if someone does die piloting one a replacement pilot is far easier to find.

They can operate effectively in far wider a range of environments than tanks and extraction and infiltration is significantly easier.

wbBv3fj.png
    edited January 2021
    Mercs are often homeschooled from a young age, if they're born in to it.

Many other Mercs still come from minor noble houses or were effectively armsmen to a noble of some repute.

Like I said, training generally starts young and takes years. Even after their formal training some, no joke, literally intern somewhere before they ever take to the battlefield.

Mechwarriors are, no surprise, largely inspire by Knights of yore and their training reflects that. If one or both of your parents were Mechwarriors, chances are you will be too. It is in many ways a family business regardless of what titles your family may or may not possess.

That's not to say there aren't those that are self taught. Moving a Mech around is easy, learning how to properly use it in combat is much harder however.

edit- Most (not all) Mechwarriors go to what amounts to Mechwarrior High School and then they go to Mechwarrior University and then they either take to the field or intern somewhere for awhile.

edit 2- I'm not even making this up! I promise! I had remembered reading that it took years for training, but diving in to the Sarna rabbit hole I had no idea how absurd the whole thing actually is.

Axen on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I've been drunk enough while winning at 140kph to know that it's just mechwarrior propaganda that mechs are difficult to use in combat.

That just isn’t true... at least it isn’t substantively true. Knights didn’t have lots of training because swinging a sword was harder than swinging an axe. They had lots of training because they were knights. And they had swords because swords were good at killing peasants and were expensive to make. Not because a sword had a higher skill ceiling than an axe or you needed more time to train with it. It’s easier to use a sword than an axe, and it’s better at killing peasants, hence knights trained with the weapon that was best for their needs.

Mech warriors are not trained because piloting a Mech is hard but because they’re mech warriors. The first mech warriors weren’t trained for years, they got in a mech and wrecked face so hard everyone was like “damn we gotta make mechs”. It wasn’t until it got taken over by the nobility that being a Mechwarrior had a long training period. And this was because they could, not because it was necessary.

Mercs are not born into it. You’re born into a noble house, not a mercenary squadron. Mercs that come from noble houses aren’t allowed to leave because mech warriors are hard to train and so hard to come by. They’re allowed to leave because it doesn’t matter, because mech warriors are a dime a dozen.

Now sure, the best mech warriors are really good and a lot better than new ones. But this isn’t because being a Mechwarrior requires a lot of training it’s because they had a lot of time to train.

wbBv3fj.png
    Man, I don't know what to tell ya, but the lore states otherwise.
    For many pilots, training began during their teenage years with entrance into a military school, which provided basic combat knowledge and skills, followed by admission into a military academy. A variety of academies exist offering varying levels of education, but regardless it will typically have taken many years before a cadet graduated with the skills necessary to be a MechWarrior. Alternatively, after military school some MechWarriors may have taken on an internship with one of the fighting stables and learned their fighting skills from some of the best gladiatorial champions. Still other MechWarriors were "homeschooled" by family and friends - particularly if they were born into a mercenary company.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Lalalala, I can't hear you because of all the whiskey I'm stuffing in my ears.

You’re missing the forest for the trees and taking the “mech warriors got lots of training” to mean “mechs were hard to use”.

wbBv3fj.png
    Henroid wrote: »

I’m just being boring and running this: https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#37934ff9_COR-7A

That game we tried a bit to not rotate so I got to hug the middle hill and just unload on whoever tried to poke over the middle. The 7a has dummy high mounts so I barely had to expose myself and sat in the same place blasting people as they poked. I felt bad for the king crab because he couldn’t poke me back with his dumb low arms but he got 5 kills so I don’t feel bad for him anymore.

Honestly the triple racs are pretty brain dead to pilot half the time you just stare at people and blast away.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    RawrBear wrote: »

I’m just being boring and running this: https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#37934ff9_COR-7A

That game we tried a bit to not rotate so I got to hug the middle hill and just unload on whoever tried to poke over the middle. The 7a has dummy high mounts so I barely had to expose myself and sat in the same place blasting people as they poked. I felt bad for the king crab because he couldn’t poke me back with his dumb low arms but he got 5 kills so I don’t feel bad for him anymore.

Honestly the triple racs are pretty brain dead to pilot half the time you just stare at people and blast away.

Cool, the RAC2 build. I was wondering if you ran that or the UAC10 build.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Yeah rac2s. Honestly half the time there’s no missiles to shoot down and it’s still fine because you spit so much damage.

Yesterday and today have been pretty awful win/loss wise but the psr system likes it when you kill someone and get 400 damage before dying horribly to getting the bad spawn with a 55kph assault.

I still think the current psr system is stupid compared to using straight win/loss but I gotta admit ranking up anyway when your team is stinky is a nice consolation prize.

Another good cor game: hibernal rift, bad spawn, solo reverse nascared into the other team did 450 killed an urban mech and set up a few kmmds before dying horribly in record time. We win, rank up. Pirate scout lance.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I have a vague memory of playing Mechwarrior 2 and getting my ass kicked by air units. Or maybe I'm imagining it.

I don't remember much about MW2: Mercenaries, but I'm fairly sure there really wasn't much in the way of ASF encounters in MW2 vanilla or Ghost Bear's Legacy.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I have a vague memory of playing Mechwarrior 2 and getting my ass kicked by air units. Or maybe I'm imagining it.

I don't remember much about MW2: Mercenaries, but I'm fairly sure there really wasn't much in the way of ASF encounters in MW2 vanilla or Ghost Bear's Legacy.

There was that nightmare underwater level though. Where you could see even less than you could normally see in that game.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Again, in Mechwarrior 2, there were air units. But, they were limited to helicopters, slow ass heavy bombers, and dropships.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Stingy on the MC for this event, but I'm done with Lights and Assaults already, and have gotten 6M cbills so far.

Shopping so far:

DWF-PRIME (better for the 8xAC/2 config than the UV center torso due to armor quirks)

FNR-5 (ECM + quad LB/10X)

GRH-5P (reasons)

WHM-IIC (nice right near cockpit mount quad ERPPC)

I did Assaults and Mediums already. I was gonna try and take care of Lights but uh... oof. I had a bad, bad time. I'll try again in a little bit. Heavy is gonna be easy because of that Orion IIC I have. Seriously that thing is such an ass-kicker, I'll probably finish the generic goals (damage, match score, destroyed components) on it.

• yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So a current tactic being used in real life is slapping advanced weapons systems on crop dusters in order to support special operations. The advantages are many. The planes are stupid easy to maintain, can land and takeoff just about anywhere, and are super cheap. Not all effective weapons systems need to be obscenely complicated and expensive. Which is why these mech bois would still get wrecked by aircraft, unless a rifleman was hanging around.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

Think I will pick up that Vapor Eagle with the LBX. I love giant shotguns.

So a current tactic being used in real life is slapping advanced weapons systems on crop dusters in order to support special operations. The advantages are many. The planes are stupid easy to maintain, can land and takeoff just about anywhere, and are super cheap. Not all effective weapons systems need to be obscenely complicated and expensive. Which is why these mech bois would still get wrecked by aircraft, unless a rifleman was hanging around.
    Honestly I don't doubt there's versions of this sort of thing that technically exists in the Battletech setting. It's just that the key hook of the setting is... y'know, big stompy mechs. I'd like to see some lore that shows more of the daily living or other aspects of conventional war because the overarching beats about galactic powers and governments is enough to make it all distinctly Battletech.

Also I swear I played a video game one time that actually highlighted that as a thing you can do; fancy made-for-war stuff, and then also slapped-together improvisational weaponry. But I can't remember what game it was. But it definitely exists.

edited January 2021
    monkeykins wrote: »

Ooor you can go with a Hunchback IIc and 4LB2Xs then make yourself deaf firing them all the time. Not that I have experience doing this, no not me.

Edit: A Vapor Eagle is a smarter buy though.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Betsuni wrote: »

Ooor you can go with a Hunchback IIc and 4LB2Xs then make yourself deaf firing them all the time. Not that I have experience doing this, no not me.

Why not both?
    Actually I only have 3 mech bays, and despite my talk of selling stuff I can't really bring myself to part with anything I hate.

Honestly I don't doubt there's versions of this sort of thing that technically exists in the Battletech setting. It's just that the key hook of the setting is... y'know, big stompy mechs. I'd like to see some lore that shows more of the daily living or other aspects of conventional war because the overarching beats about galactic powers and governments is enough to make it all distinctly Battletech.
    My problem is my only experience of the setting comes from The Battletech pc game. I was actually surprised and annoyed the new mechwarrior game had aircraft because it kills the concept of giant stompy robots, in my mind anyway. Then I realized aerospace assets have been a thing in the setting for a while.

Why not both?
    Actually I only have 3 mech bays, and despite my talk of selling stuff I can't really bring myself to part with anything I hate.

I never sell any mechs since I never know when one will suddenly become good and I can use it in a drop deck. Plus the amount of money you get back is abysmal.

If you're strapped for mech bays then yeah I would say stick to the more practical ones till another mech bay sale comes around. Aw who am I kidding, pick up all the mechs you'll have fun with regardless if it is practical or not. Just make sure you have one or two that are more "try hardy" for those times when the salt gets too thick and you just need to win a match.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I have the Vapor Eagle 1, and it is... not my favorite purchase but not the worst. I'm trying to embrace the idea that it's a fast jump jetting harasser but more often than not I get ganged up on pretty hard.

I recently went through a change for all my mechs with MGs to have HMGs specifically, and while it's largely working out, I think it's a mistake on this mech in particular. I might swap back to all LMGs to give it some distance. It's less than half damage than the HMG setup but that's not the point of having any MGs anyway (the raw damage, though it helps). I wonder what it'll look like weight-wise after. I have it setup with 2 SRM6's as well currently, and it might be better to swap for some low key LRM5s.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    It's the difference between longbowmen and crossbowmen/early guns.

Longbows are Pretty Good, and a good longbowman can pull a bow with way more poundage and far more quickly than your average crossbow. However it takes literal decades to build up that musculature.

Crossbows, arquebuses? Can teach people how to use crossbows and guns and they'll be able to be decently effective on the battlefield with a few weeks or months.

MechMantis on
    MechMantis wrote: »

Longbows are Pretty Good, and a good longbowman can pull a bow with way more poundage and far more quickly than your average crossbow. However it takes literal decades to build up that musculature.

Crossbows, arquebuses? Can teach people how to use crossbows and guns and they'll be able to be decently effective on the battlefield with a few weeks or months.
    Suck on that, Diablo 3 Demon Hunters.

I'm looking at the VGL-A, specifically.

I have the Vapor Eagle 1, and it is... not my favorite purchase but not the worst. I'm trying to embrace the idea that it's a fast jump jetting harasser but more often than not I get ganged up on pretty hard.

I recently went through a change for all my mechs with MGs to have HMGs specifically, and while it's largely working out, I think it's a mistake on this mech in particular. I might swap back to all LMGs to give it some distance. It's less than half damage than the HMG setup but that's not the point of having any MGs anyway (the raw damage, though it helps). I wonder what it'll look like weight-wise after. I have it setup with 2 SRM6's as well currently, and it might be better to swap for some low key LRM5s.

Yeah, the bad thing about getting the Vapor Eagle is most players know what it is and that it is a higher tier mech so it really gets focused fired on. Sometimes it is best to run a mech that nobody recognizes or isn't as popular then people tend to leave it for higher priority mechs. Just don't get a mech that is known to be one that is easy to kill though since that also puts a huge bulls eye on you.

For example: Piranha gets IDed and insta kill on it as soon as it pops up while a Flea is generally ignored.

oosik_betsuni.png

There are, but usually we see it with mechs (mainly up gunned industrial mechs).

There should be a single player urban mech game with romancable mechs.

Yeah, the bad thing about getting the Vapor Eagle is most players know what it is and that it is a higher tier mech so it really gets focused fired on. Sometimes it is best to run a mech that nobody recognizes or isn't as popular then people tend to leave it for higher priority mechs. Just don't get a mech that is known to be one that is easy to kill though since that also puts a huge bulls eye on you.

For example: Piranha gets IDed and insta kill on it as soon as it pops up while a Flea is generally ignored.
    Wait the Vapor Eagle is a high-tier mech? Really? Which variant in particular?

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »

Yeah.

Essentially historically the way you got good archers was basically “have a cultural tradition of good archers or hire/conquer someone with one.”

The same with cavalry. You could develop a tradition for these types of warfare in a society but it was generally a generational thing. You couldn’t just grab a bunch of random 18 year olds and shove a bow in their hand and/or put them on a horse and expect them to do much. Which is generally why melee infantry was the core of most ancient and medeival armies, you could drill someone with a sheild and spear or sword pretty quickly to hold a line, then build off of that with your specialized noble cavalry/yeoman longbowman/whatever.

Crossbows and guns changed that, you could levee en masse ranged infantry the same way you would melee infantry, so you started more and more seeing armies with significant forces of ranged infantry (which you always saw in the east where archery was a lot more prevalent but was revolutionary in Europe).

You did see as a response to this nobility attempt to ban these weapons to maintain their monopoly on force. This is probably the case in battle tech. Nobles like mechs, the status quo is mechs, and no non-mech groups have enough sway to overthrow the system. Kind of like Edo period Japan.

According to the tier list I have been consulting since I got the garbage Firestarter, basically all the Vapor Eagles are S-tier

edited January 2021

According to the tier list I have been consulting since I got the garbage Firestarter, basically all the Vapor Eagles are S-tier

Yeah, they've pretty much took over the Huntsman as the go-to Medium. You have the LB20x one, ATM one and 3ERPPC one. I think all of the versions have a strong build, but these three are pretty much what I've seen as the top tier.

Edit: I ran one of them (I think the 1 variant) with the 3 ERPPC and 5 MGs build before it went to straight 3ERPPCs and had fun with it. It is not a speed demon, but it does have enough JJs to make it a poptart and can brawl with the MGs.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png