As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I always have room for a BBQ or sour cream and onion Pringles “chip”.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I always have room for a BBQ or sour cream and onion Pringles “chip”.

I don't eat Pringles all that often anymore, but my go to is a 2:1 ratio of Sour Cream and Onion to Cheddar Cheese flavor.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    One of my favorite Colbert Report bits involved Pringles:

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/6zrwd6/the-colbert-report-consumer-alert---pringles

Gonna go on record again, geoblocking is the most stupid concept. It's not difficult to find a workaround, but what's the point? If it's a server load issue, just redirect it to a mirror.

But yeah, that's a funny bit.

And it's so f'n weird seeing him looking that young. It's like seeing early Jon Stewart. I'm so used to the "now", that the "then" gives me a weird reaction that it doesn't for other media.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    The thing with Pringles is the structure. It's a perfect taste-bud interface device. I can't think of a particular flavor I like more than any other random snack, it's just something about the way they eat.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Pringles are fine but I really miss lays stacks.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I haven't had Pringles in a while but I remember likin' 'em.

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    The thing with Pringles is the structure. It's a perfect taste-bud interface device. I can't think of a particular flavor I like more than any other random snack, it's just something about the way they eat.

I'd agree with you for the most part, but their dill pickles are just the best pickle flavored potato crisp out there, and I can't help but devour the whole thing in one sitting. Every time.

StarZapper on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

They still exist, you can still find them in the wild

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

They still exist, you can still find them in the wild

Yeah at least in my state they are the cheaper pringles. Which feels weird to say.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

The tweeter is the official corporate account of Pringles, a company that makes Crisps that the FDA says don't qualify to be labeled Potato Chips.

The content is a video of the Pringles man in his entirety. Someone at Pringles is good at PR. Your move, John Oliver.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That's really the only response you can give. They didn't pick the hermit crab, so I guess it's a response.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Their commitment to these stupid bits go from unfunny to funny to unfunny and back to funny again

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Salt and Vinegar Pringles.

God tier.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Their commitment to these stupid bits go from unfunny to funny to unfunny and back to funny again

Do you know the "Kristen Schaal is a horse" comedy bit? That's prettty much the epitome of comedy through commitment and repition.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I wonder if Oliver is going to put out short bits like that every few weeks over the break. They probably have a fair chunk of mascot budget remaining and doing them just involves a couple peeps rolling over to film in his basement. Or maybe not even that for all I know. It's not like there's a whole lot else going on.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

It's like an SNL bit that just keeps going

You're not even sure why you're laughing anymore because you're totally over the premise but they won't stop

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Great. Now I remember that horrible Kristen Schall is a horse bit exists. You've betrayed me, thread.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I've mentioned it in the past, that sans audience, Colbert is awesome when he's got his wife Evie in the studio. His attempts to make her laugh, and his joy when he does, are just awesome.

So, I was catching up on my DVR, and I found this, from a week and a half ago (December 10th). The bit (First Drafts of Greeting Cards) has been done in previous years, often with a volunteer from the audience. This year, he had Evie do it. And it's delightful. It starts about 1:25 in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYl0TYCsDbY

There's some playful flirting, which is adorable.

Then she schools him on nerd culture.

Then she crushes his christmas dreams.

Finally, they go theological, her being a multidenominational Christian, him being a Catholic.

It's just awesome, start to finish.

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    The Daily Show had a correspondent at the rally/riot/insurrection last Wednesday, because of course they did (note: he was not involved with the rioting, he was doing the typical Daily Show correspondent thing):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVDJqipoohc

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Our boy has returned to the cyber-waves with an important message:

Stop kissing pigs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v-U3K1sw9U

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Our boy has returned to the cyber-waves with an important message:

Stop kissing pigs!

Well, at least David Cameron wasn't kissing pigs…

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I think my wife was hoping for something a little less...apocalyptic from the return of LWT.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I actually learned something from that episode, neat.

Also, why are people doing tourism in natural places? It's bad enough we're doing that imperialist zoo shit.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    What's an imperialist zoo?

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

He means zoo in general.

Guessing they started as a way for nations to show off the exotic creatures of the lands they were shamelessly exploiting, though the modern version's role in conservation makes it a bit more complicated IMO.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Also, why are people doing tourism in natural places? It's bad enough we're doing that imperialist zoo shit.

Eco-tourism is promoted as a way to make it monetarily advantageous for the locals to encourage habitat preservation versus hunting everything out and clearing timber etc.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »

Eco-tourism is promoted as a way to make it monetarily advantageous for the locals to encourage habitat preservation versus hunting everything out and clearing timber etc.
    Thing is, as we learned from the Mount Everest segment, the people doing the actual work don't really see the fruits of the labor involved and often carry a shitton of risk. At the end of this chain of business type is corporations, despite the "ah yes, it's the exotic LOCALS you'll be dealing with!" promotion. Bah. I hate it all!

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    There is value in having a way for people to connect with nature, especially as people become more and more city-based. You just have actually think about the consequences instead of just counting money.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    What does John Oliver have against Minnesota? Mall of America, the state fairgrounds... :rotate:

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Minnesota is rapidly becoming a cultural black hole in the midwest.Midwest. 2020 really did a number on the state

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    Minnesota is rapidly becoming a cultural black hole in the midwest.Midwest. 2020 really did a number on the state

It's really not, like, at all.

I hereby dub this a dumbass hottake borne out of fantastical ignorance. (you're welcome)

If you're looking for "cultural blackholes" there's at least a half dozen Midwestern states that come long before Minnesota. I know, I live in one of them.
    Polaritie wrote: »
    What does John Oliver have against Minnesota? Mall of America, the state fairgrounds... :rotate:

The Mall of America is an exhaustingly shitty place to visit. I've been there multiple times because friends wanted to go and there is no better feeling than leaving that ridiculous shithole of a tourist trap.

The state fairs thing had nothing to do with Minnesota (even though Minnesota is super proud of their incredibly mediocre state fair). He was talking about state fairs in general because of the livestock contests.

Which is sort of amusing because often state fairs are greatly eclipsed by fairs/events that make a given state's fair look like a glorified bonfire that hopefully the carnies show up for but always still include the dumbass livestock contests.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

One that has a breeding program for British Viceroys.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

I hereby dub this a dumbass hottake borne out of fantastical ignorance. (you're welcome)

If you're looking for "cultural blackholes" there's at least a half dozen Midwestern states that come long before Minnesota. I know, I live in one of them.

The Mall of America is an exhaustingly shitty place to visit. I've been there multiple times because friends wanted to go and there is no better feeling than leaving that ridiculous shithole of a tourist trap.

The state fairs thing had nothing to do with Minnesota (even though Minnesota is super proud of their incredibly mediocre state fair). He was talking about state fairs in general because of the livestock contests.

Which is sort of amusing because often state fairs are greatly eclipsed by fairs/events that make a given state's fair look like a glorified bonfire that hopefully the carnies show up for but always still include the dumbass livestock contests.

I must admit, my experience is limited to the permanent decimation of downtown Minneapolis shuttering of long time business and the rapid rise in crime, but if St. Paul or Duluth have found a way to somehow thrive this year, it's news to me

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I'm about 80% sure his picture for that segment was Minnesota. But you appear to have taken that far more seriously than I intended, I was just commenting on all the MN stuff in the segment (a Twins cap on one of the people too)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »

Thing is, as we learned from the Mount Everest segment, the people doing the actual work don't really see the fruits of the labor involved and often carry a shitton of risk. At the end of this chain of business type is corporations, despite the "ah yes, it's the exotic LOCALS you'll be dealing with!" promotion. Bah. I hate it all!

Yeah Everest is a bit different than a wildlife preserve, I agree. It seems like the kind of thing a non-profit advocacy organization might be able to set up guidelines for? Certainly the local governments are probably just happy for any money flow at all and would be just as happy flat top mining the range otherwise in many places.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    https://science.sciencemag.org/content/369/6502/379
    This is the article mentioned about preventing the next pandemic for $20-$30 billion/year.
    Of note is that the majority of that (20B) is earmarked for shutting down the Chinese wet markets. A bunch of the other stuff is surprisingly cheap. A budget of a few billion/year could really help monitor livestock and wild animals to help detect the next possible outbreak early, for example. Another few billion on deforestation prevention would also be helpful. ("A few billion" and "surprisingly cheap" don't go together that often, but this is a worldwide cost.)

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Didn't Europe offer Brazil money to stop deforestation and they laughed/got offended?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Didn't Europe offer Brazil money to stop deforestation and they laughed/got offended?

More like Bolsanaro being a massive contrarian bellend.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    There are a few new LWTs out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhO1FcjDMV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm9YKT0dItk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYdi1bL6s10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMGxxRRtmHc

Always glad to see someone talking about how much of a blatant shithead white supremacist Tucker Carlson is.

Kamar on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    This weeks Oliver brought the boom and offered more info on how public debt works than anything I've seen outside of PBS.

Oh and this is featured:

ylb7299yw2je.jpg

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai