As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My 4-yr-old son's remote classes were very simple. Three in-person zoom classes- one "full class" in the beginning of the day to check in, basically, and two small group lesson (about 30 minutes) for "math" and "English". I think I made him do the classwork the first week, but kind of.. didn't do so much additional weeks. And as long as I went to the classes, the teachers were fine with what we did. But the assignments were easy enough- make a square shape using toothpicks (or anything stick-like), find and circle the letter "M" in a book, magazine, or other paper. We go to a Title 1 school, and they are very aware of the time and supplies parents do not have. But my kid is very stubborn, and we had his special education classes on top of that, and he just sort of resisted doing too much. I'm honestly not a good teacher, and I just kept him happy and alive at that point.
    He's in-person now, which is very helpful for his social development. I hope the vaccine gets out to enough people that rates start going down. They have been doing random testing (my daughter has been tested twice) and have found no cases in our school.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    So hey. I’ve been touring with the idea of trying to setup some kinda Online Play date Zoom thingy for kids.Basically, Kate hasn’t had any real contact with anyone her age, 5, since we started our Florida lockdown 058023502hjef years ago.

Basic thought was find someone(s) interested in having their child chit chat with Kate or any other child that’s interested in a Zoom meeting.

Anyway, if anyone is interested just lemme know and we can work out the logistics and what not.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I usually hate these kind of things but it too true right now:

jxdmfr6tlu4g.jpg

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Ugh, the three month old is teething already. His brother teethed for about two years straight. :bigfrown:

:so_raven:
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Corvus wrote: »
    Ugh, the three month old is teething already. His brother teethed for about two years straight. :bigfrown:

Two years!! :(

My 20 month old son is currently teething with all of his canines. Been going in for a few weeks and his sleep has been terrible.

He'd just settled in to a decent routine and we were all sleeping so well, now he's being a pain in the arse.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    Oh yeah, it suuuuuucked. So much baby Tylenol aNd Advil.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My kids teething was responsible for me being pulled into my managers office because I was only getting a few hours of sleep for about 9 months straight.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Ripley, thee years old, has now perfected pretending to go to bed and then asking for a snack and needing to use the potty to delay her actual bedtime.

Tomorrow we are going to push back her bedtime by an hour, see what happens.

She also has been coming into our bed at around 0200 every morning (we have the sleep trainer clock thing) but with a one month old being breastfed, no one really has the energy to haul her back to her bed in the middle of the night.

That goes double for when I am on night call and it's my wife is outnumbered two to one.

So we are just going to ride out survival mode for the foreseeable future and go from there.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

William started getting his teeth at 3 months too! I thought we were the only ones who had to deal with this.

He used them exclusively to chew his mother's nipples.

• Options
    My kids seem to have somewhat early physical development. The oldest one walked at nine months, at which time we had done precisely zero baby proofing. Frankly, I'd take one of those kids who doesn't walk until they're one and half.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Both my kids started teething at 3 months, but didn't actually have their first tooth pop out until 14 months or later.

It was hell.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I discovered my first baby cousin's first tooth. I was babysitting her and she was gumming on my knuckles for relief and I was like "woah little bit of blood, that can't be- omg you have a widdle tooth!"

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Middle Guy is challenging (spoilers), so he tends to get put in the same remote "breakout rooms" as other kids who are also some form of challenging

This morning him and a school friend we've seen a lot of, (who is usually adamantly against-eye-contact, and mostly non-verbal, and almost always to be found quietly reading in a corner) was in Middle Guy's breakout room, and rather than the usual "pretend to jog around the room together virtually, but actually ignore each other", Middle Guy starts yelling at her: "Hey, (Quiet Girl)!, *I see you and your stuffie there!* Mine's a dinosaur, what's yours? *HEY (QUIET GIRL!)*"

So eventually from there, Middle Guy and Quiet Girl, (who came to the screen showing off her Unicorn pet, and called Middle Guy by his name), would follow from there into a *full on* Pokemon battle between his Stegosaurus and her Unicorn until the teacher got back. I've personally never seen Quiet Girl get up from her remote-desk, and today her and Middle Guy pokemon battled each other *to the death*, and Middle Guy conceded the defeat

Anyways, if you haven't already seen/made your kids watch the Pixar short "Loop", I highly recommend it

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Two days of rain and not being able to go out other than for one food shop has been rough.

Been trying to keep him entertained but his attention span is obviously quite short, unless it's watching Cocomelon.

Feel guilty for putting it on but it gives me a break for 20 minutes.

• Options
    What's on the menu today?

un4q040t4nid.jpg

Delicious!

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    When do the Super Monsters sleep??

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Two days of rain and not being able to go out other than for one food shop has been rough.

Been trying to keep him entertained but his attention span is obviously quite short, unless it's watching Cocomelon.

Never, ever feel guilty for using media to give yourself a break. Tiny children will absorb 120% of your attention for every single hour of the day if you let them, sometimes you need to get things done and sometimes you just need a break and it's better for everyone if you get it.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

"Sleep when the baby sleeps" is a quote that has driven me wild with rage recently. Like, I love the little dude, and he does actually sleep a decent block overnight now. Yay! But if I slept when he slept, I would have literally no time to get anything else done. The place is a shit tip as it is.

• Options
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    "Sleep when the baby sleeps" is a quote that has driven me wild with rage recently. Like, I love the little dude, and he does actually sleep a decent block overnight now. Yay! But if I slept when he slept, I would have literally no time to get anything else done. The place is a shit tip as it is.

If I slept when they slept I'd crash the fucking car.

• Options

I think the question was about these guys:

MV5BNGEwZDdmYjUtYmRlZi00MGIzLWEyMjMtODljZmIyZTU4OGYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjk0MzQ1NDc@._V1_UX630_CR0,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Never, ever feel guilty for using media to give yourself a break. Tiny children will absorb 120% of your attention for every single hour of the day if you let them, sometimes you need to get things done and sometimes you just need a break and it's better for everyone if you get it.

Also, there are worse things than Cocomelon.

The amount of ridiculous knowledge my child has absorbed from youtube.

She was watching Storybots the other day and then spent the afternoon telling me all about Macrophages and T cells.

Then we put on Dr. Binocs (who also has a Baby Binocs show now apparently!) and learned all about volcanoes and how hair grows and a million other things.

She watches Robocar Poli and the fire safety lessons with Roy and now we're setting up Fire drills in the house with cardboard flames and smoke clouds and learning how to get out of the house and where to meet in case of a fire.

I mean, there's stupid shit that she watches as well like Ryan's Toy Review (UGH), and other dumb things like people playing with toys. But there's enough educational stuff that she's also watching that I don't mind. Plus I can use Ryan's World as a way of teaching her about pretend and acting and how No, Ryan's Mom can't actually read Ryan's mind, that's a script and they're pretending.

• Options
    My (elder, still not used to haveing more than one kid) son got a lot of ideas for imaginative games to play from watching Bluey, and he's learned a lot about marine life from Octonauts or general wild life from Wild Kratts.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Yeah there are a lot of really good kid's shows out there amidst all the trash. Not the greatest example, but I remember when our kiddo was like, 3? and playing and I asked what she was doing. Her answer? "Market research." ...what. She even explained it properly! Turned out that was from an ep of Sara and Duck, hah.

Stuff like Ryan's Toy Review and it's ilk I put a stop to pretty dang early. It provides nothing positive, and with Ryan in particular, it's just showing how it's okay to exploit your child. I'll be amazed if he doesn't turn out to be a shithead as an adult at this point, and not just because they make millions a year off of 'the brand.'

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So Ellie has been super interested into medical stuff lately.

Last night Ecco had a quick dentist appointment and Ellie had been begging to go with him all week. We checked with the Dentists office and they said that was fine.

So she went with him, sat quietly in the corner, and then when they went to take the Xrays she went out of the room with the hygenist and dentist and *they let her push the button to take the xray*. And then when they got back into the room, the Dentist put her up on the tall chair and showed her the xrays on the light board (which she's been wanting to see an Xray for the longest time oh my gosh mommy).

She was absolutely *buzzing* when they got home and didn't stop telling me all about how the dentist was doing this and that to daddy's mouth and teeth, and she got to take the Xray and it was so cool.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

Never. The answer is never.

"They're super."

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    So Ellie has been super interested into medical stuff lately.

Last night Ecco had a quick dentist appointment and Ellie had been begging to go with him all week. We checked with the Dentists office and they said that was fine.

So she went with him, sat quietly in the corner, and then when they went to take the Xrays she went out of the room with the hygenist and dentist and *they let her push the button to take the xray*. And then when they got back into the room, the Dentist put her up on the tall chair and showed her the xrays on the light board (which she's been wanting to see an Xray for the longest time oh my gosh mommy).

She was absolutely *buzzing* when they got home and didn't stop telling me all about how the dentist was doing this and that to daddy's mouth and teeth, and she got to take the Xray and it was so cool.
    Dang, keep her interest going in that field and you can retire in luxury!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

I think the question was about these guys:

MV5BNGEwZDdmYjUtYmRlZi00MGIzLWEyMjMtODljZmIyZTU4OGYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjk0MzQ1NDc@._V1_UX630_CR0,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

It is possible I haven’t had a lot of sleep.

• Options
    May I suggest everyone change the filter in their baby snot sucker before they discover it no longer filters...

• Options
    Figgy wrote: »

Never. The answer is never.

"They're super."

I need them to take a super nap, y'all

• Options
    Has every Friday this semester now turned into No Meetings/Teacher Planning Day for anyone else doing remote learning?

Middle Guy has no meetings, no teacher contact on Fridays this year- but his teachers still pour about eleven assignments into his device that we're supposed to complete independently? Which yeah, maybe that works for the majority of five year olds and that's what they're going by (though I kinda doubt it), and I do appreciate teachers need downtime/planning time, but...just shoving busywork into his device throughout the day is basically announcing to parents like me, "Hey, we've decided you're gonna pull teeth every Friday now, for six to ten hours, instead of whatever it is you were planning on doing. Enjoy being sobbed and yelled at until this weekend!!"

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Has every Friday this semester now turned into No Meetings/Teacher Planning Day for anyone else doing remote learning?

In our case, that's Mondays, but it's scheduled that way.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Wednesdays for my kids

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I don't think a five year old should care about doing eleven assignments...

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I literally did half of my 7-year-old's homework the other night. She knows what to do, and it was busy work at that point. I just set up the pictures, and made her do the actual solving and such.
    I feel for the teachers, because many students do need the repetition to help, and it's hard to tailor remote learning.
    But if we got that much work, I would be tempted to ignore it. I ignore half of the work they assign my 4-year-old when he's remote, and the teachers don't really mind as long as we show up for the daily attendance/ check-in.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    He doesn't! Not even a little bit. He sees no point!

I can use the carrot of videogames (until it eventually becomes a distraction, and his sole focus) to get buy-in for a small amount of time, but otherwise it's literally a situation of "stare at him 100% of the time because the second you look away he'll stop working" or "place him on your lap and hold him still and move his hands, literally doing the work for him or it won't happen". He doesn't like either of these methods, and neither do I

And his teacher just...I mean she's got his IEP, she knows the kid, but she keeps forgetting stuff. Like, he had a live math test yesterday at 2:30pm, and I receive an email at 5 going "Hey, I know that's a long assignment, but is Middle Guy still working on that math test?"....NO. OF COURSE HE'S NOT...he stopped working on it at 2:42, when I left for two seconds to use the bathroom, and when I came back he claimed he was done. Or when she gives them in class assignments and is like, "Now, you're supposed to be doing this all on your own...no help from any grownups!", and I just wanna laugh and go "I know you're trying to work on their independence, but you just told Middle Guy not to bother, and I'm gonna be working on his incomplete assignment here in an hour"

• Options
    Is this normal in your state? Daily zoom calls? Piles of homework? For children that young? It is utter madness

• Options
    Is this normal in your state? Daily zoom calls? Piles of homework? For children that young? It is utter madness

As far as I know, yeah! For at least my second grader and kindergarten kid! Four days a week, four to five meetings a day (40+ minutes each meeting, then homework on the side)

And let me be clear, I'm not trying to rag on the teachers here, who are dealing with an impossible situation and trying to adapt a learning model on the fly and who have done an amazing job of it. Middle Guy's testing is exactly where it needs to be, he knocks it out of the park in one-on-one sessions, and hearing him organically count and spell things over the Winter Break (when we had a little distance from remote learning) showed that he has actually learned a lot, and this last year of school was (probably)worth it...

But it was very hard fought, and it's looking like it will be again this year (at least until June or whatever). And I just think there's just no good solution for someone like Middle Guy, outside of money and/or outside support we don't have. So I really appreciate you guys letting me bitch and moan about it, it helps me

• Options
    JFC, that amount of work for a 5 year old sounds like complete bullshit.

• Options
    The number one thing my 5 year old is missing out on is time spent in the company of other 5 year olds.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I thought that were a lot of hours, too, so I looked up the current situation here.
    It seems to be about 20-22 25 minute periods per week for 1st grade, too, but that's from age 6 (although earlier is possible if wanted and agreed upon).
    Preschool is not really a thing here. Generally only for non native speakers and other kids with additional preparation needs

Still seems like a lot, especially so when it's remote.

honovere on