As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread: Vaccines!

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Here in BC we seem to have avoided an Xmas case surge due to the government implementing more social gathering restrictions in mid December. Restrictions have been extended into February as well.

Justin McElroy is a reporter with CBC news.

Tweet text
    446 new cases of #COVID19 announced in B.C. today, as the province continues to fortunately see minimal evidence of a holiday boom in transmission.

Nine new deaths, and hospitalizations up by ten.

5,045 active cases, the lowest number since Nov. 9.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Disneyland to become The Pokiest Place On Earth:

https://youtu.be/gAeUtX-tOvU

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular

Honestly that might be the best thing they could possibly do to get more people to sign up. People are here are *crazy* for that place. They would absolutely sign up in droves just to be able to say they were on the grounds for a day.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Please tell me there will be mascots on site.

Please tell me some of the character actors have the credentials to deliver vaccinations.

Nurse Goofy plz.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    A few years ago I developed an annoying involuntary response to shots. As soon as I feel the needle, a violent shudder starts in my core muscles and radiates outward to my limbs, meaning that the shoulder the needle is in also shakes violently for a second or so. Does anyone else experience this? Have you found any way to avoid or minimize it?

I used to be able to sit dead still by dissociating from the arm getting the shot, but a side effect of better overall mental health is apparently that I can't do that anymore.

@calica Never heard of this

have you ever taken muscle relaxers? They're used to reduce involuntary muscle contractions like spasms and the shuddering you get from shock. could help

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »

Honestly that might be the best thing they could possibly do to get more people to sign up. People are here are *crazy* for that place. They would absolutely sign up in droves just to be able to say they were on the grounds for a day.

Judging by the ridiculous people I sometimes have to interact with as I remote work we should just give all vaccines at AirBnBs in bloody lake Tahoe because noone can stop going on fucking winter breaks!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

Judging by the ridiculous people I sometimes have to interact with as I remote work we should just give all vaccines at AirBnBs in bloody lake Tahoe because noone can stop going on fucking winter breaks!

People are fucking stupid. My folks decided they would fly from Reno to Boca Raton this last Christmas for vacation with other idiot members of my family. Meanwhile, me and my three siblings all stayed at our various homes and saw no more than a few people because it turns out there's a fucking hugeass pandemic going on.

Oh, I should add that my mother is not only immunocompromised, she has limited kidney function. Both conditions are making her hesitate to get the vaccine, but going on that fucking vacation across the country? No hesitation at all for that!

Absolutely fucking infuriating that people like me are giving up a bunch of shit so people like that won't die a miserable death for going out and flaunting all common sense.

• Options

People are fucking stupid. My folks decided they would fly from Reno to Boca Raton this last Christmas for vacation with other idiot members of my family. Meanwhile, me and my three siblings all stayed at our various homes and saw no more than a few people because it turns out there's a fucking hugeass pandemic going on.

Oh, I should add that my mother is not only immunocompromised, she has limited kidney function. Both conditions are making her hesitate to get the vaccine, but going on that fucking vacation across the country? No hesitation at all for that!

Absolutely fucking infuriating that people like me are giving up a bunch of shit so people like that won't die a miserable death for going out and flaunting all common sense.

My wife and I had a huge argument like 5 weeks ago, she was returning from picking up some prescription glasses (outdoor pickup) and decided she desperately wanted some fancy groceries from our nicer local grocery store, so, she parked and went in and quickly completed a decent shop (fully masked etc, and the store was counting people in and out, with very low numbers and so on) and came home. We then had a blazing row because I was furious that she had broken our, "Only I do the indoor shopping, and I only go every 2 weeks if I have to etc etc". It was a really difficult thing for us to get through, due to a combination of fear, anxiety, and the sheer difficulty of balancing what is OK and what is not during a pandemic.

That evening we saw our neighbors GETTING A NEW BATHROOM INSTALLED. It took two weeks. Like, a full strip down to the studs and rebuild of the room. They had three workers in the house. We asked (in a neighborly way), "Oh, did you have a water leak?", but no, their daughter (who is 8) just didn't like the color of the fittings.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I know I'm preaching to the choir here but I really don't want to fucking hear "I'm not sick! I don't have the virus!" from antimaskers anymore. Ever.

I want to preface this with the fact that I consider my buddy to be low risk. He lives alone, is single, and is taking ALL precautions seriously. He hadn't left the house for over 2 weeks. Anyway...

He was set to come over Tuesday of last week. I ended up canceling that one because I was nauseated (I have had stomach issues for a while now) and rescheduled for Wednesday. On Wednesday he canceled because he had a headache so we decided to wait till Friday. Note that he starts up law school again which means he hits the books and studies like 20 hours a day. It's insane how much schooling he does. So this was going to be the last time we'd hang out until he finishes the semester.

Anyway he came over and we watched some movies together (he was also around the kids for several hours) and had a good time. Saturday my wife got a severe migraine (she got the vaccine on that prior Monday) and slept an extra 4 hours. Since then she's been 100% fine. Hearing that my friend went out and got the RAPID test. Which ended up being positive so I told him to schedule his PCR. Since Wednesday he hasn't had a single other symptom. His headache was gone, breathing fine, taste/smell still there, no fever or chills or anything at all. His PCR came back this morning positive. It's insane.

So now my wife and I are getting our PCRs done today (since this is day 5 from exposure).

Even something as simple as having a headache is a sign that you might have it.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I do have a question: If he came over to my house on Friday and got the RAPID test on Saturday, what are the chances that WE gave it to HIM and not the other way around? We're talking less than 24 hours after exposure.

urahonky on
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Off the cuff, I don't think you're going to pop a positive 24 hours after exposure, but that's just my conjecture.

• Options
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Off the cuff, I don't think you're going to pop a positive 24 hours after exposure, but that's just my conjecture.

I thought the same. But I don't want him to feel as guilty as he feels right now if it's possible that he got it from us.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I do have a question: If he came over to my house on Friday and got the RAPID test on Saturday, what are the chances that WE gave it to HIM and not the other way around? We're talking less than 24 hours after exposure.

Unlikely, but not impossible as far as I'd say. Wiki says that symptoms begin 1-14 days after exposure, and a friend of mine started exhibiting about 16 days after coming back from Milan (and going straight into quarantine) in the spring.

So sure, it could have gone either way.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    edited January 2021

I’d say that the situation here is that one of two unlikely things happened, or one likely thing happened.

1) You gave it to him, and he popped a very early positive. Which might have even been a false positive in his case, caused perhaps by a few rogue viral particles in the nose. Enough to trigger PCR positive but not enough to cause sustained replicating infection. A positive at day one is rare, but not impossible.

2) he gave it to you, despite complete self quarantine for two weeks. Someone being infectious at 2 weeks without symptoms is rare, but again, still possible.

3) vastly more likely that either of these, he was lying to you and hasn’t been fully quarantined for two weeks and has instead still been out and about buying groceries etc.

Edit - although also your wife’s headaches on Saturday are one day after exposure too. Which seems to be even less likely to be correlated with anything. His headache on Wednesday was maybe the extent of his symptoms?

tbloxham on
  • Options

County health department having to issue this reminder, surprising no one

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

They're probably going to have to do more than just that.

Knowing quite a few die-hard Disney fans, there's a non-zero number of people who will treat this as a limited-run collectors item and do anything they can to get vaccinated at Disney.

Which, hey, anything to get more people vaccinated. But I'd be surprised if people won't be shitty about trying to get it there, too.

• Options

They should just have a non appointment line, if people want to sit in the Disney parking lot for 24 hours to get a vaccine, then that's fine. There are probably 50000 parking spots. Theres no shortage of space. People will miss their appointments. There will be vaccine timeslotsunused.

You need to accept that people are just going to show up. Its going to keep happening. You don't want it to happen too much, but you don't want to waste the fact that they are there. At the city testing facility near me, they don't advertise this fact at all, and in fact say the exact opposite, but, if you just show up then you can just wait in the no-appointment line.

• Options

I’d say that the situation here is that one of two unlikely things happened, or one likely thing happened.

1) You gave it to him, and he popped a very early positive. Which might have even been a false positive in his case, caused perhaps by a few rogue viral particles in the nose. Enough to trigger PCR positive but not enough to cause sustained replicating infection. A positive at day one is rare, but not impossible.

2) he gave it to you, despite complete self quarantine for two weeks. Someone being infectious at 2 weeks without symptoms is rare, but again, still possible.

3) vastly more likely that either of these, he was lying to you and hasn’t been fully quarantined for two weeks and has instead still been out and about buying groceries etc.

Edit - although also your wife’s headaches on Saturday are one day after exposure too. Which seems to be even less likely to be correlated with anything. His headache on Wednesday was maybe the extent of his symptoms?

Also keep in mind that my wife still continues to go to restaurants with her mother and father every Friday after work. Even after me pleading with her to stop doing that.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Also keep in mind that my wife still continues to go to restaurants with her mother and father every Friday after work. Even after me pleading with her to stop doing that.

If I had to make a call between one of the two unlikely ones, I'd be more likely to say "You gave it to him, and he had an unlikely day 1 positive". You had the stomach symptoms earlier in the week and so on. The headaches are probably just noise.

• Options

They're probably going to have to do more than just that.

Knowing quite a few die-hard Disney fans, there's a non-zero number of people who will treat this as a limited-run collectors item and do anything they can to get vaccinated at Disney.

Which, hey, anything to get more people vaccinated. But I'd be surprised if people won't be shitty about trying to get it there, too.

Where I am the city health department is absurdly convinced that hospitals and peoples physicians are the right place to give these vaccines. It's just absurd. We've done really well so far, and were an early place to understand that hospitals are stupid places to administer covid tests, and introduced city based test sites but time after time they are coming out and saying people are going to get vaccines through their doctors and so on. It's just such a stupid idea which compounds so many problems. My doctor is BUSY treating covid patients. My hospital is BUSY treating covid patients. We need to get this job away from them and onto non medical facilities. You don't need a hospital to give a vaccine. You need a tent, a parking lot, and a school nurse with an Epipen.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Someone at work quiet bragging about going to Disney in Florida for a week and giggling about how she wasn't supposed to but it was fine and totally okay

She's a nurse. Two people in the room had family die in the last two weeks from COVID-19.

Hurray for people of privilege making this worse for everyone.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

President Elect Joe Biden has received the second dose of his vaccination, meaning that by the time he takes office next week, he's likely to have the vaccine's full efficacy.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I thought it was 2 weeks

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    bysjzkyd7b2b.png

My state DHS continues to be very bad at this. Last week its was 85k/266k, so while the percentage is slightly better they are actually sitting on 30k more doses than before. Those 210k doses are 5.25% of the state adult population, that could have at least partial protection. And I know some medical people have already had their 2nd dose, so we shouldn't need to be reserving the 2nd shot (which was already a stupid decision).

Months to plan for this and this is the best they can do.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    bysjzkyd7b2b.png

My state DHS continues to be very bad at this. Last week its was 85k/266k, so while the percentage is slightly better they are actually sitting on 30k more doses than before. Those 210k doses are 5.25% of the state adult population, that could have at least partial protection. And I know some medical people have already had their 2nd dose, so we shouldn't need to be reserving the 2nd shot (which was already a stupid decision).

Months to plan for this and this is the best they can do.

You know what also drives me nuts. Those damned drops at the bloody weekends. NO WEEKENDS OFF! This is too serious. This is more important than running a hospital. Do you like, have all the nurses go home from the hospital at the weekend and just leave the patients to fend for themselves? That line should be smoothly heading upwards. If anything, the weekend should spike UP because more working people are free to come and get the shots.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Less people work M-F 9-5 jobs than you think. And on weekends clinics tend to have more limited hours.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Less people work M-F 9-5 jobs than you think. And on weekends clinics tend to have more limited hours.

Well, yes, I understand thats often the case and that people work jobs that require a wide variety of hours. I'm saying that this situation is serious enough that what vaccine clinics, and other clinics might 'tend to do', is irrelevant.

The clinics should be open 24/7 from now, until the virus response no longer would benefit from rapid vaccine rollouts. If we don't have enough money, find it. Sell the vaccines to rich people to pay for the clinics for the poor. Call Google and ask them for a billion dollars. Call Apple and ask them to pay. Have Facebook manage vaccine registrations and reservations. Do SOMETHING.

Do ANYTHING other than just continually wringing our hands and saying this is the best we can do and the problem is someone elses fault. I'm sick of seeing problems with money, production ramp, staffing and planning presented as some insurmountable barrier. Things suck, sure. Stop telling us and fix it. And if your fix is a bit crappy, then thats fine. There's no ACTUAL shortage of resources, we just somehow forgot to deploy them.

Things are getting better, and we are doing more each day, but we need that trend to continue in all aspects.

Edit - I understand that there are better and more moral ways for governments to get money than, "Beg google and apple for handouts, and if that doesn't work sell 1000 vaccines to the NFL", but it seems to be impossible to make those better ways happen and to get anything other than excuses.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Who is going to staff the clinics 24/7? Haven't healthcare workers already been stretched to the breaking point for almost a year now?

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Yes healthcare workers enjoy having time off like everyone else

Most nurses do go home after hours and on weekends

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, it isn't necessarily the healthcare workers that work M-F 9-5, but the people doing the actual paperwork.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Once again, "X is a calling" is short for "I'm going to shame you into accepting abusive work conditions while doing X."

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    blox has been beating the drum since the start that there is nothing, absolutely nothing more important than getting this all over and done ASAP.
    I'll say this for him, he's consistent.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Looks like another cluster of recent covid cases in China https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3117618/coronavirus-china-heilongjiang-declares-state-emergency-outbreak
    The Chinese new year is about a month away but it looks like the government is going to implement travel restrictions again
    Japan isn't doing well either and has suspended entry for foreigners https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20210113_23/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

President Elect Joe Biden has received the second dose of his vaccination, meaning that by the time he takes office next week, he's likely to have the vaccine's full efficacy.

Most importantly, he's about to move into a mansion staffed by people in the middle of a Covid outbreak. The Republicans leave next week, but the cooks, cleaners and other staff do not.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Wrong thread

Inkstain82 on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    24/7 is more than a bit much--we don't have the vaccine doses to justify it. But certainly we shouldn't have to slow down on the weekends. We just need a nurse or two to cover for a rare event and can probably let EMTs and similar do the administration.

With better coordination I'm imagining clinics cooperating with city/county run administration sites setup in the parking lot or something. You've got the nurses then available if someone has an adverse reaction, but aren't tying them up with paperwork and providing the vaccine. Nobody goes home any later, though load on clinics increases (edit: which I guess does mean people do go home a bit later. Blah. Well...).

It's all doable, it's organization and money which is apparently in short supply.

Oh well.

Orca on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    24/7 is more than a bit much--we don't have the vaccine doses to justify it. But certainly we shouldn't have to slow down on the weekends. We just need a nurse or two to cover for a rare event and can probably let EMTs and similar do the administration.

With better coordination I'm imagining clinics cooperating with city/county run administration sites setup in the parking lot or something. You've got the nurses then available if someone has an adverse reaction, but aren't tying them up with paperwork and providing the vaccine. Nobody goes home any later, though load on clinics increases.

It's all doable, it's organization and money which is apparently in short supply.

Oh well.

EMTs have to sleep too. You're asking to push people who have already been pushed beyond the limit.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »

With better coordination I'm imagining clinics cooperating with city/county run administration sites setup in the parking lot or something. You've got the nurses then available if someone has an adverse reaction, but aren't tying them up with paperwork and providing the vaccine. Nobody goes home any later, though load on clinics increases.

Oh well.

EMTs have to sleep too. You're asking to push people who have already been pushed beyond the limit.

That's certainly true for the places where the medical system has been pushed to the brink of collapse, but that's not everywhere yet. Thank god.

• Options
    From a triage standpoint, I could even see pulling EMTs off ambulance duty for this

That would never fly in part because the optics would be awful, but from a "maximizing benefit for the population" standpoint I suspect we'd come out ahead.

Moot point of course. It's a thing that sounds like a great idea up until I'm the one that needs the ambulance.

This discussion has been closed.