As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tech] Most of the time it's not actively trying to kill you

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    ScreenRant wrote:
    Although Razer has now announced its new smart face mask, there’s currently no word on how much it will cost or when it will be available to buy. In fact, it may never become available for purchase, considering this is more of a concept announcement than anything else. However, the company has said it plans to continue working on the smart mask concept and will utilize "rigorous testing and user feedback" to make any design changes it feels will improve the mask’s functionality and performance.

So... what's the point of this?

We're talking about it aren't we?

MARKETING!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    ScreenRant wrote:
    Although Razer has now announced its new smart face mask, there’s currently no word on how much it will cost or when it will be available to buy. In fact, it may never become available for purchase, considering this is more of a concept announcement than anything else. However, the company has said it plans to continue working on the smart mask concept and will utilize "rigorous testing and user feedback" to make any design changes it feels will improve the mask’s functionality and performance.

Money.

Lots and lots of money.

t9migZb.jpg
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    ScreenRant wrote:

Well we're talking about razer soooo they win I guess

B-b-b-beated

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's a thing now
    6d55a71b-23ed-411b-8ac3-649e140014be_w920_r1_fpx46.91_fpy54.99.jpg
    f5ea0b14-1f88-4c43-bdff-34c51741fbdd_w920_r1.7777777777777777_fpx45.55_fpy47.png

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    ScreenRant wrote:

Shameless self-promotion?

• PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    If that Razer Mask was under 100 bucks(it wont be) I'd buy it in a heartbeat. If it's under 300.... I'll think about it.

Phasen on
    psn: PhasenWeeple
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    ScreenRant wrote:

It’s CES, CES is always time to announce your dumb rolling TVs and foldable phones and etc.

Edit: Think of it like Thinkgeek’s April fools jokes except if any of them do become commercial products it will be like 5 years later.

Lasbrook on
    edited January 2021
    It's telling that they didn't even have a prototype to put on at the end of the video. Post Covid I'd like wearing masks to be normalized.

Phasen on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

surely a new CEO can get us to 7nm-ville

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Phasen wrote: »
    If that Razer Mask was under 100 bucks(it wont be) I'd buy it in a heartbeat. If it's under 300.... I'll think about it.

Why would it be that much? it's largely just a plastic faceguard

Or, ok I know why it would be, but why would you BUY it

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Maybe intel should just bite the bullet and not do their own fab for a while? Or is that pivot just too much of an investment at that this point?

Dixon wrote: »
    Maybe intel should just bite the bullet and not do their own fab for a while? Or is that pivot just too much of an investment at that this point?

That would probably represent letting an IMMENSE infrastructure investment sit idle and have larger start up times and costs when they wanted it again so it probably is actually better to limp along and figure out where you can find a market niche while you fix your fundamental shit. Still a gamble but almost like the sunk cost made less fallacious.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Their fabs have traditionally been their competitive advantage. If they don't have that, all they have is x86 lockin, which isn't enough in a world where ARM has taken over cellphones and embedded and AMD is eating their lunch in x86/x64.

Either they restore their advantage in fabs or they need to pivot to a very different style of business.

AMD seems to have done so successfully so it's not impossible, but it's a process that's taken 10 years for them to gain an advantage from. GlobalFoundries (edit: the spinoff company that is formerly AMD's fabs) on the other hand is stuck back at 12nm, for whatever version of 12nm they've got.

So in short, it's not impossible, but it would be a massive restructuring of the company. And I thought I read somewhere they were licensing some of the fab time at TSMC for some of their next gen chips. So it could be a short term thing...or it could be a harbinger of change for a company that has held a stranglehold on desktop computing for the last 40 years.

Orca on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah so too much of an investment, that sucks. They are in a pretty tough spot then.

I feel like it's only going to get worse for intel once AMD hits that 5nm next year.

Fabs cost billions at the low end, and the cost rises as the feature size gets smaller. The amount of capital necessary to build one, nevermind bring a new process to production is staggering.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3805032

TSMC's new 3nm fab costs $19.6 billion. That is an absolutely massive investment.

On the earnings call, Intel CEO Bob Swan said the company had identified a "defect mode" in its 7nm process that caused yield degradation issues. As a result, Intel has invested in "contingency plans," which Swan later defined as including using third-party foundries. The company will also use external third-party foundries for its forthcoming 7nm Ponte Vecchio GPUs, the company's first graphics chips. Ponte Vecchio comes as a chiplet-based design, and Swan clarified that production for some of the chiplets (tiles) will be outsourced to third parties. Swan noted the GPUs will come in late 2021 or early 2022, portending a delay beyond the original schedule for a 2021 launch in the exascale Aurora supercomputer.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-exascale-aurora-supercomputer-xe-graphics,38851.html

even more than their CPUs, Intel's GPUs are only going to be competitive if they can get them produced at 7nm

but if they have to outsource production to another fab, expect the same shortages for their graphics cards that people have been running into with the NVIDIA 3000 series and the AMD 6000 series of cards

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    It's a thing now
    6d55a71b-23ed-411b-8ac3-649e140014be_w920_r1_fpx46.91_fpy54.99.jpg
    f5ea0b14-1f88-4c43-bdff-34c51741fbdd_w920_r1.7777777777777777_fpx45.55_fpy47.png

mmm, mask-a-phoney

It looks like some kind of male posing underwear.

t9migZb.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The remote buttons positions in the mask are like the opposite of where you're supposed to put your hands for hygiene reasons

The play button should just be right in the center of your mouth.

Phasen wrote: »
    The play button should just be right in the center of your mouth.

Nah. Should be the mute button. Everyone else going to be pressing that.

t9migZb.jpg
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Damnit I really thought we were finished with that one at least.

we will never be free

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    That actually makes me feel a little bit better about bitcoin. If dorks are going to spend Sweden's electricity budget on making nothing for anyone, they should at least suffer hilarious financially crippling pratfalls at every turn.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I desperately want the US government to simply outlaw buying and selling in cryptocurrency and end the stupid, stupid ponzi scheme

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Damnit I really thought we were finished with that one at least.

we will never be free

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again:

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Their fabs have traditionally been their competitive advantage. If they don't have that, all they have is x86 lockin, which isn't enough in a world where ARM has taken over cellphones and embedded and AMD is eating their lunch in x86/x64.

Either they restore their advantage in fabs or they need to pivot to a very different style of business.

AMD seems to have done so successfully so it's not impossible, but it's a process that's taken 10 years for them to gain an advantage from. GlobalFoundries (edit: the spinoff company that is formerly AMD's fabs) on the other hand is stuck back at 12nm, for whatever version of 12nm they've got.

So in short, it's not impossible, but it would be a massive restructuring of the company. And I thought I read somewhere they were licensing some of the fab time at TSMC for some of their next gen chips. So it could be a short term thing...or it could be a harbinger of change for a company that has held a stranglehold on desktop computing for the last 40 years.
    Brolo wrote: »
    On the earnings call, Intel CEO Bob Swan said the company had identified a "defect mode" in its 7nm process that caused yield degradation issues. As a result, Intel has invested in "contingency plans," which Swan later defined as including using third-party foundries. The company will also use external third-party foundries for its forthcoming 7nm Ponte Vecchio GPUs, the company's first graphics chips. Ponte Vecchio comes as a chiplet-based design, and Swan clarified that production for some of the chiplets (tiles) will be outsourced to third parties. Swan noted the GPUs will come in late 2021 or early 2022, portending a delay beyond the original schedule for a 2021 launch in the exascale Aurora supercomputer.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-exascale-aurora-supercomputer-xe-graphics,38851.html

even more than their CPUs, Intel's GPUs are only going to be competitive if they can get them produced at 7nm

but if they have to outsource production to another fab, expect the same shortages for their graphics cards that people have been running into with the NVIDIA 3000 series and the AMD 6000 series of cards

*peeks in* For folks just skimming, above article re: the earnings call is about a year old.

Also also, for people not keeping up on fabs/yaddah stuff, "<insert number here> nm" is largely a marketing term at this point, and 10nm Intel process is ~roughly~ the same density as TSMC 7nm (and Intel's 7nm is theoretically about the same as their 5nm, respectively). Still behind, given they're not producing at capacity yet, obviously, but it's not a "this number is smaller therefore better" thing.

Re: fab time at TSMC, it's been rumored for a while, some articles dropped today, but given there's no official commentary from either company I'm not saying anything.

As to the new CEO, personal take is cautiously optimistic. I'd rather have someone with a technical background at the head than the former CFO.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    He spent 30 years at intel and only left in 2009, so I'm sure he has plenty of relevant experience. Barring that, he knows who to ask about where things got screwed up.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Has Musk figured out yet all his tech is just shitty versions of trains

Don't build charging infrastructure build actual public transit like a train

icGJy2C.png

But how would that justify Tesla's ridiculous valuation

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

one of my favorite things is when silicon valley reinvents the bus every year or two.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    New Headphones! Damn do they sound GOOD.

mbxx879yeb44.jpg
    loi676towe3l.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Boy, that family must be tired!!

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

one of my favorite things is when silicon valley reinvents the bus every year or two.

Philly swapped trolly busses for busses with batteries so heavy they broke the frames immediately and like you already had the wires hung you where searching for a problem cause the solution works to good

Now they have no electric busses good job tech bros

icGJy2C.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

Philly swapped trolly busses for busses with batteries so heavy they broke the frames immediately and like you already had the wires hung you where searching for a problem cause the solution works to good

Now they have no electric busses good job tech bros

I’m very angry about what they did with the trolley infrastructure in philly generally. Trolley busses with small batteries to route around problems on the line fix all the problems septa has with trolleys while still being super quiet and better for the environment.

And we had the infrastructure! And tore it all out.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    That sounds dumb as hell

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    God, I loved the trolly as a kid.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Tech thread, what is a good wireless webcam to buy? The amount of on-camera Zoom meetings I have to attend has increased infinity-fold and I find myself without optical recourse short of using my smartphone (I do not want to use my smartphone).

This discussion has been closed.