As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• exisexis Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Today's drama is that McCormack hasn't chastised other government members for spreading COVID misinformation online, such as 'masks on kids is child abuse'.

Well aside from this pregnant possum that appears to have slept on my carport roller door all day, in the sun.

Guys seriously if you're going to post about news please provide some links to sources. Not everybody is reading the same publications and it can make this thread hard to follow when people are referencing stuff without context. Or at least provide some more detail. How sleepy was this possum? Is she still there? How did you get the car out???

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Frankly, not sure.
    I managed to open and shut the roller door in the morning whilst only being mildly accosted with possum poo, but didn't see her and attributed that to insects building mud nests in the door somewhere.
    It's was only when I came home that I saw her perched on top of the roller, and got a ladder for her to get down.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    I should set up a business picking up live NZ raised possums and shipping them back to the fatherland

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I've already rehoused these ones in this washing machine.

I used to hang hessian sacks on nails from my garage rafters. Chuck an old blanket in there and the possums loved it

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Billy Te Kahika's trying to jump on the Trump bandwagon. First he had a rally up in Auckland, now down at Wellington. It's a bit pathetic really.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Billy Te Kahika's trying to jump on the Trump bandwagon. First he had a rally up in Auckland, now down at Wellington. It's a bit pathetic really.

Kinda late in the process, innit?

MorganV on

Washing machine, you say?

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »

Washing machine, you say?

Oh no.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    It's just a generic "rally for freedom".

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/police-keeping-a-close-eye-on-controversial-billy-tk-freedom-rally-outside-beehive/4C2E3SYXDZPQZZA4CK2EC5T2MU/
    ...Tukaki labelled the rally as: "alt-right, pro-Trump, with nothing to do with freedom."

"New Zealand is the standout country around the world right now, we have freedom of movement in the face of a global pandemic, we are able to move freely across our country.

"You still get to go to a tangi and a funeral, you still get to go see your moko that has just been born in the hospital. You still get to go celebrate that 70th birthday.

"So what exact freedoms are they talking about?"

Billy's an unimaginative grifter and is flailing about copying whatever. It's sad that some have fallen hard for it but it's reassuring when I see the small numbers at his protests (and getting smaller) as well as the dismal result in the election.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    I should set up a business picking up live NZ raised possums and shipping them back to the fatherland

They would not be allowed back into Australia, because Possums in NZ have diseases unique to them and we also have records of Bovine Tuberculosis in possums. So basically Australia would never accept them back into the country, primarily because of Bovine TB.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    NZ Dress Codes
    Disclaimer: I am not a not NZer but found this interesting.

Seems a bit rough, doesn't it? I get that it's a bit of a difficult area to adjudicate on. I'm no huge fan of dress codes but understand why you might want them in certain places, and drawing a line is always tricky. But neckties, really? That's the line? Hmmmm.

I've worked in places that had quite detailed guidance on appropriate dress for 'casual' Fridays. They were remarkably specific, but I get that if you're gonna have a rule, you're eventually gonna have to back it up with something when someone starts pushing boundaries or you get a complaint. I don't envy the person that had to come up with that guidance, though.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Solvent wrote: »
    NZ Dress Codes
    Disclaimer: I am not a not NZer but found this interesting.

Seems a bit rough, doesn't it? I get that it's a bit of a difficult area to adjudicate on. I'm no huge fan of dress codes but understand why you might want them in certain places, and drawing a line is always tricky. But neckties, really? That's the line? Hmmmm.

I've worked in places that had quite detailed guidance on appropriate dress for 'casual' Fridays. They were remarkably specific, but I get that if you're gonna have a rule, you're eventually gonna have to back it up with something when someone starts pushing boundaries or you get a complaint. I don't envy the person that had to come up with that guidance, though.

Like most questions of parliamentary protocol and rules, this seems a pretty stupid thing, and really doesn't seem worth making the point over, from either the Speaker or MPs. However, Mallard did make the point that he asked members to review the standard, most wanted to stick with the existing, and that the Maori Party didn't make a submission on it - so if I had to guess, some clarification will be forthcoming.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I did see that the MP was allowed to speak today

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Mallard himself is on the record as he himself thinking ties are a bit antiquated and he'd personally like to do without, so it's not just as simple as 'conservative speaker enforces personal dress standard'. He's gone to the elected members and consulted on the body view and gone with that.

However, a big part of the Māori party general public position is that accommodations for Māori should not be treated as a purely populous decisions, because minority voices will get drowned out against pakeha majority positions.

EDIT: it is a bit of political theater on the part of Waititi, but not a particularly pointed or egregious one.
    Mallard, too, to a lesser extent.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    Why do the rules care about ties but not hats? That's what I want to know. Hats off indoors is a fairly common tradition yet Parliament has accepted hats indoors for quite some time. Perhaps it is to do with the size of the room? In large open indoor areas it was acceptable to wear a hat.

Wear a hat inside you buy the whole bar a round

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Why do the rules care about ties but not hats? That's what I want to know. Hats off indoors is a fairly common tradition yet Parliament has accepted hats indoors for quite some time. Perhaps it is to do with the size of the room? In large open indoor areas it was acceptable to wear a hat.

I'd guess that's something to do with allowing any head covering, like a yarmulke or head scarf?

That's a benefit but apparently it has been the rule for quite some time. There's old pics of MPs wearing bowler hats in parliament. And there was even circumstances where wearing a hat was compulsory.

From a spin-off article about Māori and hats:
    While some have reacted with outrage at the pair for “breaking the rules” of parliamentary dress code, Waititi has checked the tikanga around wearing hats indoors. “If the roof is high, you can wear them.” In fact, historically there was a whole raft of rules and etiquette around hat wearing in New Zealand parliament. For example, if an MP wanted to speak after the doors had been locked for a vote, they had to be seated and wearing a hat. These days, it’s up to MPs whether or not they wear a hat. To everyone who has voiced concern – you can sleep easy tonight, Waititi and Ngarewa-Packer haven’t broken any rules.
    https://thespinoff.co.nz/atea/09-12-2020/from-fedoras-to-fascinators-a-history-of-maori-and-hats/

Like, why seated and wearing a hat?

Old men make funny rules all the time. I got nothing more than that

I mean, nobody is shocked that there are old archaic and pointless rules in the parliamentary dress code, right? This stuff comes up and gets challenged (as it should), and is rightfully dismantled in fits and starts. 100% on board with the tie rule being removed. I'm not fully on board with Rawiri Waititi's "colonial noose" objection, since the pointlessness of ties as a clothing item applies to all of us, not just those who were colonised.

Anyway, ties are dumb. Dress codes are dumb. Let people wear what they want.

edited February 2021
    Covid -19 emergency cabinet meeting has finished, waiting on Dr Bloomfield and the PM. Not sounding promising.

Alright, People - Level 3 Lockdown in Auckland, and Level 2 elsewhere. We've been here before, we'll just stop it spreading again.

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
    Much better this week than next week.

Ellie is meant to be starting primary next week.

If we can do this well, she might actually get her graduation at daycare. Which seems a small thing, but...... Still.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Guys. It's level 2.

Put your fucking masks on

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Guys. It's level 2.

And scan your fucking qr code.

I feel like a side-effect of our effective short and sharp lockdowns is that we haven't really absorbed all the stuff that we should have about living with the virus - social distancing, masks, hand sanitation etc. We're so reliant on the expectation that it will just never be in the community.

During the last limited lockdown in Christchurch it was surreal wearing a mask to the supermarket as I was literally the only person besides staff doing it.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Yeah, I haven't turned bluetooth on for my phone (I'm leery tbh), but I'm scanning everywhere I go here in Wellington.

I'm also one of very very few people I saw wearing a mask. Including annoyingly some elderly people being let on the bus without masks. Come the fuck on people

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Guys. It's level 2.

One of the guys I work with puts a different name and phone number in every time he scans his QR code, at least whenever we go anywhere for lunch. Just a random name and mashes out 10 numbers.

Pisses me off to no ends.

-Loki- wrote: »
    Guys. It's level 2.

One of the guys I work with puts a different name and phone number in every time he scans his QR code, at least whenever we go anywhere for lunch. Just a random name and mashes out 10 numbers.

Pisses me off to no ends.

I am now also mad at this person.

We scan everywhere we go. When e remember we even scan on the way out so we know what time we left.

Especially after the Northland cases that we almost crossed paths with at least twice.

I'm so anxious today

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I was particularly fond of the guy on the train today who wore a surgical mask, but kept it fully pulled below his chin, leaving his mouth and nose completely uncovered for the duration of the trip. I'm willing to accept possible accidental absent-mindedness rather than intentional malice, but dude, c'mon.

Fortunately he was at the far end of the carriage and everyone else was really good, spacing as much as possible and the only other person unmasked was a 9-month-old baby in a stroller, so I felt like guidance was being reasonably followed on my commute.

I feel for youse out there taking public transport. I'm masked up, washing my hands with alcohol routinely throughout the day. I really hope it doesn't go out of control.Glad to hear tonight there were no new cases reported

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    In sydney at the extreme ends of the trains there's a compartment that has only one seat, close to the door to the driver (which is closed all the time since they enter and exit from side doors onto the platform) that almost nobody ever sits in. Except for me.
    And then nobody else who gets on at later stops ever stands near me, they walk up or down the stairs to the other seats so I get that area to myself. Most of the time because of being at the ends of the train nobody ever gets on my compartment at all for the whole trip.

With my travel times (going into the city when most are leaving, and leaving when most are going in), that seat and whoel area is usually free and I'm basically alone.

Hopefully this helps anyone else in sydney taking trains.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    It's insane that the Prime Minister comes out and publicly says that he couldn't figure out what to do about a RAPE without his wife telling him to imagine his daughters. That he needed that, and moreso that he thought that was a good story to tell is such a damning example of Scott Morrison's character.

Sounds like another day with no new cases.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    -SPI- wrote: »
    It's insane that the Prime Minister comes out and publicly says that he couldn't figure out what to do about a RAPE without his wife telling him to imagine his daughters. That he needed that, and moreso that he thought that was a good story to tell is such a damning example of Scott Morrison's character.

Once again, this is a man who spent $190,000 on empathy coaching.

He simply does not know how to give a shit about other people. Even after said empathy coaching.

Today's round of sarcastic applause for daily commuters goes out to the lady lowering her mandatory mask on the train so she could apply blusher to her cheeks.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Today's round of sarcastic applause for daily commuters goes out to the lady lowering her mandatory mask on the train so she could apply blusher to her cheeks.

Last night, had to deal with a fucker who was making a delivery where I work, who took down his mask EVERY. TIME. HE. SPOKE.

I had to tell him at least four times, and escalated it to my direct supervisor. If he comes back again, I'm not opening the window.

edited February 2021
    2 new cases in the community, at least. Both from the high school of the previous cases.

Damn. Hope they're alright.

Edit : Apologies, this is pretty irresponsible to post without further details.

Source is from RadioNZ, https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/436551/covid-19-updates-for-wednesday-17-february
    Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield told the Health Select Committee the two new cases are are siblings.
    One is a close contact of the positive case at the school, who most likely then passed it on to the sibling.

Bloomfield told the committee the siblings were isolating already as they were classed as a close contact and casual-plus contact.

He says testing of the household contacts will now take place and exposure events will be looked at. People linked to any exposure event will also be asked to isolate.

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
This discussion has been closed.